Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Franco Caution posted:

If this is true it is the best news!

Finally, they're meeting the demands of the fifty or so vocal enthusiasts who are actually going to put their money where their mouth is and buy a manual Chevy SS!

Personally I'm waiting for the new turbo Mustang and to see if I'm correct in assuming that it'll be the slowest Mustang off the showroom floor and the fastest/best Mustang after you drop a thousand bucks on the engine and void your warranty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The manual V8 SS will sell less than one thousand units over its lifecycle.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Yeah man but when they come down in price...

I'd buy one new but I really wanted AWD, and have you seen that interior? It's ghastly.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Nidhg00670000 posted:

A 2014 Mustang V6 is roughly 46k USD in Sweden, and our cars are a lot cheaper than in Norway to begin with. Mustangs and Camaros have never been neither cheap or given you much bang for your buck in Europe, and even if you exclude tax from the price they're much more expensive here than in the US.

A lot of this may be due to being super low volume imports. Are they even officially sold there or is it through some sort of quasi-gray market import thing?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

subx posted:

That's what surprised me about killing off the Crown Vic. I imagine it had to be unprofitable or they wouldn't have done it, but I don't understand HOW it was unprofitable. Those things were sold in huge numbers for every fleet industry in the country. For most businesses you either drove a truck or a Crown Vic.

And it's interesting to talk to cops who are really bummed out about not being able to get a new Crown Vic, none of the other replacements measure up to its combination of performance/reliability/comfort.

Rumor has it that a big part of the decision to not modernize it to meet new standards was also concerns about its impact on Ford's image in the midst of their big push to improve the brand and sell more non-trucks. In a lot of places the most common Ford people will ride in is taxis or cop cars and this does not help Ford's image considering it's basically a 70s holdover.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

I'd buy one new but I really wanted AWD, and have you seen that interior? It's ghastly.

Which car you talking about? The Mustang or the SS?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Probably not low enough, it'll end up a unicorn like the G8 GXP with a handshaker.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Coredump posted:

Which car you talking about? The Mustang or the SS?

I'm just taking the piss out of the Jalopnik-style commentariat who demand this exact car every year, but when it's actually made they don't buy it because $30-40k is hard to swing on a blogger's salary. Then they mumble something about bins full of parts and hard plastic. Although to be fair I've seen more than a few becoming self-aware and poking fun at the fabled 'dieselmanualbrownAWDwagonforunder20k' crowd.

If you really want to rile em up tell them the largest automakers already offer V8 RWD/AWD four door vehicles for relatively cheap, tell them to buy a truck :v:

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 28, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
They don't even sell the SS in Canada, so even if I wanted one I couldn't buy one. It is a nice lookin' car though.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm just taking the piss out of the Jalopnik-style commentariat who demand this exact car every year, but when it's actually made they don't buy it because $30-40k is hard to swing on a blogger's salary. Then they mumble something about bins full of parts and hard plastic. Although to be fair I've seen more than a few becoming self-aware and poking fun at the fabled 'dieselmanualbrownAWDwagonforunder20k' crowd.

If you really want to rile em up tell them the largest automakers already offer V8 RWD/AWD four door vehicles for relatively cheap, tell them to buy a truck :v:

Those guys get on my loving nerves because they're so unrealistic. Yes the Chevy SS will be a great used car pickup in a couple years, I expect them to depreciate like a rock, the problem is someone has to buy them NEW for them to be available used 3 to 5 years later. Car manufacturers don't care about the used market, they want to sell these things new. If no one buys them, they'll stop making them.

What are used G8 GXP's selling for these days?

Funny comment about the 4 door truck, it's basically the defacto family vehicle here in Texas. Many people I know have 4 door trucks and have never used them for any kind of truck necessary activity (towing, hauling, offroad travel), unless you count a big rear end Costco run as needing a truck.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 28, 2014

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Bigass four door truck is half the vehicles on the road here in PA, too. Once I think I even saw someone with something in the bed!

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

skipdogg posted:

Those guys get on my loving nerves because they're so unrealistic. Yes the Chevy SS will be a great used car pickup in a couple years, I expect them to depreciate like a rock, the problem is someone has to buy them NEW for them to be available used 3 to 5 years later. Car manufacturers don't care about the used market, they want to sell these things new. If no one buys them, they'll stop making them.

Funny comment about the 4 door truck, it's basically the defacto family vehicle here in Texas. Many people I know have 4 door trucks and have never used them for any kind of truck necessary activity (towing, hauling, offroad travel), unless you count a big rear end Costco run as needing a truck.

I'm actually expecting the SS to hold value decently well. A decent 05/06 GTO is still over $15,000 and G8 GTs are still in the low 20s. G8 GXPs are listing for ~$30,000, but I don't know if they're actually selling.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sole Survivor posted:

I'm actually expecting the SS to hold value decently well. A decent 05/06 GTO is still over $15,000 and G8 GTs are still in the low 20s. G8 GXPs are listing for ~$30,000, but I don't know if they're actually selling.

That's my take on GXPs, too. I rarely see them under 30k, but the volume is so low, it's hard to gauge the market. I still kick myself for not trading my GTO in on one. I had knocked him down to sticker, and gotten a decent deal on the Goat, but I wasn't sure about my job security, and walked... :argh:

(Turns out I was right about the job, but still... :v:)

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Sole Survivor posted:

When you consider that dealers basically gave GXPs away, they've hardly depreciated at all.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

oRenj9 posted:

When you consider that dealers basically gave GXPs away, they've hardly depreciated at all.

Didn't someone here snag one for like $22K?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

skipdogg posted:

This comment is spot on. It's an endless cycle of complaining about no good cars being made, an auto manufacturer listening and then selling all of 2000, which will be priced out of their range until they're on their last legs.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Look, all I want is a small, lightweight, ~$20k, purpose-built RWD sports car with a manual and no frills that drive up the price like all those stupid cars made and marketed toward fat stupid Americans.

Oh, and it has to make more than 200hp I mean I don't want to be driving something slower than an Accord, and really it needs some good NVH dampening for when I'm on the highway, and would it be too much to ask for a good stereo and some nice soft-touch materials in the cabin so it doesn't feel like I'm driving a stripped-down economy car?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

"All I really want is basically a 911 or M3, but I don't want to pay for one. Car makers are assholes why do they hate enthusiasts so much?"

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Wheeee posted:

Look, all I want is a small, lightweight, ~$20k, purpose-built RWD sports car with a manual and no frills that drive up the price like all those stupid cars made and marketed toward fat stupid Americans.

Oh, and it has to make more than 200hp I mean I don't want to be driving something slower than an Accord, and really it needs some good NVH dampening for when I'm on the highway, and would it be too much to ask for a good stereo and some nice soft-touch materials in the cabin so it doesn't feel like I'm driving a stripped-down economy car?

Brand new?

Brz/ft86 will be hitting low 20's soon for 2-3 year old car that meets your criteria. I want one but they won't be a good buy until the used market goes a bit lower imo.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I just want a small truck about the size of the old Ranger or a little bigger, with a manual and a decent amount of OOMPH from the engine while also getting economy car levels of fuel economy.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

I want one but they won't be a good buy until the used market goes a bit lower imo.

This is exactly the problem.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

PCOS Bill posted:

I just want a small truck about the size of the old Ranger or a little bigger, with a manual and a decent amount of OOMPH from the engine while also getting economy car levels of fuel economy.

With the right gears you can probably have oomph and mid-20s MPG at the same time!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

:thejoke:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BraveUlysses posted:

Brz/ft86 will be hitting low 20's soon for 2-3 year old car that meets your criteria. I want one but they won't be a good buy until the used market goes a bit lower imo.

This is a pretty good joke. Nice job.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I just want a Volvo 240, except built now.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

PCOS Bill posted:

I keep thinking the 2.7L ecoboost V6 in a ranger would be perfect, but I could handle the ecoboost 2.3L i4 too. Actually, seeing the dyno graphs between those 2 engines is going to be interesting. The turbos in the V6 are handling a lot less displacement each than the i4's turbo is.

Damnit Ford. Bring back the Ranger (or the Everest. That would do too).

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

atomicthumbs posted:

Same except Toyota/Scion should do away with this tC malarkey and dig out all the old tooling for the 86-89 Celica and just build that instead. I mean, I probably still won't buy one new, and it's safety rating is probably hilariously bad, but come on, let's make this poo poo happen.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

atomicthumbs posted:

If they built a true 242 successor I would do everything in my power to buy one. Though the new Concept Estate looks interesting.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Except you said around $20k when the BRZ/FRS costs more like $25-27k

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Apparently Hot Rod's ticket vendor screwed up and issued tickets to 351 Drag Week cars instead of the limit of 260.

Hot Rod decided to run it anyway! Three hundred and fifty one cars will be doing Drag Week this year.

http://blogs.hotrod.com/uh-oh-351-cars-are-registered-for-drag-week-2014-slight-changes-in-plan-here-113117.html

Luckily, usually not everyone shows up. But can you imagine? Hundreds of snarling small blocks...

12345random
Mar 24, 2013

ilkhan posted:

I keep thinking the 2.7L ecoboost V6 in a ranger would be perfect, but I could handle the ecoboost 2.3L i4 too. Actually, seeing the dyno graphs between those 2 engines is going to be interesting. The turbos in the V6 are handling a lot less displacement each than the i4's turbo is.

Damnit Ford. Bring back the Ranger (or the Everest. That would do too).

Even the 2.0 makes fairly significant power. More around 260/310 at the crank. Plenty for a Ranger, plus decent mpg.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

1791apparel posted:

Even the 2.0 makes fairly significant power. More around 260/310 at the crank. Plenty for a Ranger, plus decent mpg.
True.
The 2.3L and the 2.7L are supposed to be 300+ HP though. :)

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

guys, they're making a new 510. everyone calm down

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

A MIRACLE posted:

guys, they're making a new 510. everyone calm down

Officially? Where do you see this?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

http://www.nissanusa.com/future-and-concept-vehicles/idx

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
So many people are going to be pissed when the production version ends up being a re-bodied Juke.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I honestly wouldn't put it past nissan but the designer said it's going to be verrrry close to the concept

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Nothing there seems to be definitive in saying they're actually being made though?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

A MIRACLE posted:

I honestly wouldn't put it past nissan but the designer said it's going to be verrrry close to the concept

It could easily look close to the concept with just the bumpers being fatter but I'm also in the "ha it's going to be a Juke coupe" camp because that would be funny as hell. They'd just wave their hands a little and go "AWD is better than RWD!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Terrible Robot posted:

Same except Toyota/Scion should do away with this tC malarkey and dig out all the old tooling for the 86-89 Celica and just build that instead. I mean, I probably still won't buy one new, and it's safety rating is probably hilariously bad, but come on, let's make this poo poo happen.

So a crappier FT-86 with half the power that you still wouldn't buy new.

The tC exists because it's cheap and probably has good margins while the 86/BRZ is there more as a marketing exercise and probably won't turn a profit for a while.