Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

What's with the delay between rat bros invasions? I have to twiddle my thumbs for a good 5 minutes before I watch Someone die to an npc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

GhostDog posted:

I think it's okay to have that option but it should probably be more expensive. It's hard to resist considering it means I can stay at 100% health without burning effigies. It seems to make a lot of the mechanics surrounding death a bit superflous though.

Small white soapstone is the best thing ever for that -- I haven't used one effigy yet.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

After playing PvP for a couple of hours, I can confirm the ratio of player's skill level to how anime their character name is.

I killed so many animes :anime:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How about this-- give me one reason why I should have two buttons that toggle walk and guard, but am not allowed to have separate buttons for jump attacks and guard breaks?

There's no reason for those to not be their own keys.

bonerstorm
Jul 26, 2009

:|

Dezztroy posted:

Because there are plenty of other games like this that play just fine with M+KB? The M+KB controls in this are way worse than they should be. It's like noone at FROM has played a PC game in their life.

Plenty of ports/console first games play like this. Pretty much any 3rd person I've played feel clunky as poo poo. It could just be me that I notice it since I've played strictly PC for the longest time and I'm super anal about input lag/sensitivity when using M+KB.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

After playing PvP for a couple of hours, I can confirm the ratio of player's skill level to how anime their character name is.

I killed so many animes :anime:

I don't know, my xXxSSJGokuxXx is faring pretty well.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Stop killing NPCs holy poo poo.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Internet Kraken posted:

How about this-- give me one reason why I should have two buttons that toggle walk and guard, but am not allowed to have separate buttons for jump attacks and guard breaks?

There's no reason for those to not be their own keys.

Man, forward+RB and forward+RT is sooooo great, you have no idea.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I wish Luna Belfry did not have all these dumb two on one situations. Bellbros can basically play wahh wahh little baby whenever and wherever and they get bailed out for free by whoever comes in after them. And even if you do take out the phantoms, you get jack poo poo for it.

Still, it was very nice sunbro-ing it up with the few higher level people who wished to go in there to take out the gargoyles. Made better by the couple times where we not only beat them, but shoved a club up a few phantoms' asses who were likely all too used to "heh I don't need any skill I just need to surviv- oh shi- LIGHTNING SPEAR'D"

Also one tremendous coward who disconnected the moment he saw that it was one against two instead of his usual comfy two against one :frogout:

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Do bonfire ascetics only recharge the enemies? I wish there was someway of making them permanent while I continue my slaughter of Rat King invaders

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
I've worked every day since the PC launch, today is finally my day off where I can actually dig into the game.

So far my favorite thing has been to lay a mini-sign before an enemy that I wasn't sure I could reach to hit it fireball lizard. Got summoned as a phantom and instantly ran up and smacked at the thing until it killed me. Now I know!

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

bonerstorm posted:

Plenty of ports/console first games play like this. Pretty much any 3rd person I've played feel clunky as poo poo. It could just be me that I notice it since I've played strictly PC for the longest time and I'm super anal about input lag/sensitivity when using M+KB.

Other than the double-click check on the mouse buttons the controls are smooth as silk with M+K. Once a DSMfix 2 comes out it'll be golden.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Dezztroy posted:

It's like noone at FROM has played a PC game in their life.

I wouldn't doubt that. FROM is a Japanese company, after all. I mentioned this in the console thread, I think, but Japanese people don't have room for gaming rigs in their homes unless they're willing to devote a good chunk of their living space to a good set up, because Japanese homes are tiny, and most aren't, so PC gaming is really only for the super-dedicated over there.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

nftyw posted:

I wish Luna Belfry did not have all these dumb two on one situations. Bellbros can basically play wahh wahh little baby whenever and wherever and they get bailed out for free by whoever comes in after them. And even if you do take out the phantoms, you get jack poo poo for it.

Still, it was very nice sunbro-ing it up with the few higher level people who wished to go in there to take out the gargoyles. Made better by the couple times where we not only beat them, but shoved a club up a few phantoms' asses who were likely all too used to "heh I don't need any skill I just need to surviv- oh shi- LIGHTNING SPEAR'D"

Also one tremendous coward who disconnected the moment he saw that it was one against two instead of his usual comfy two against one :frogout:

If I'm a second invader in the Belfries, I always let the other phantom fight the host 1v1. Then the host can heal if he wins and then the real fight begins.

I just had a fight with a host who had managed to beat the other phantom. Both of us had dual wielded swords, and we kept just barely landing hits on each other over the course of like 2 minutes. We both had a sliver of health. We traded hits, and we both died. I think I died a microsecond before he did since I didn't get a reward.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 28, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

bef posted:

Do bonfire ascetics only recharge the enemies? I wish there was someway of making them permanent while I continue my slaughter of Rat King invaders

They respawn enemies and I think reset the extinction counter even if you didn't massacre them, respawn loose items, wooden chests, buff enemies, buff bosses, etc. They are permanent and if you're going to stay in the Rat covenant forever ascetic them to intensity 7 or whatever.

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007
Apparently now this is VAC enabled, is this going to cause me hassle if I want to use my Xbox One controller. I had to add a dinput8.dll to the game folder for it to work.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

ChaosArgate posted:

I feel like it'd be a little pointless to bump up the price of repairing that ring to make it harder to retain humanity without burning effigies now that FROM's made it so that a successful sunbro session now restores your humanity and refills your estus flask.

Whenever I die, I just drop a sun-signature and enjoy the free souls that come with my return to humanity. It's gotten to the point where I rarely make forward progress in the game without being alive.

dat one portagee
Dec 6, 2006

WAT DOIN BUG?
I asked a couple pages back but didn't get a response: Where does Gavlan go after you meet him the first time? I've poked around Majula and didn't see him

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I was initially disappointed that DS2 got rid of the ridiculous floppy ragdolls from the previous game, but I guess this'll do.

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

dat one portagee posted:

I asked a couple pages back but didn't get a response: Where does Gavlan go after you meet him the first time? I've poked around Majula and didn't see him

Hes in a poison cave early in harvest valley

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
So the game definetely uses your easily changeable steam name as the name that shows up in game right?

Wanna change my name to PUNCH BRO! so my enemies know what to expect before they meet my fists! :black101:

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
I did it!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

dat one portagee posted:

He goes into Harvest Valley after No Man's Wharf. He'll never go to Majula.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Moola posted:

So the game definetely uses your easily changeable steam name as the name that shows up in game right?

Wanna change my name to PUNCH BRO! so my enemies know what to expect before they meet my fists! :black101:

It uses character name, I'm afraid.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

bonerstorm posted:

You're not in Diablo anymore, poo poo will kill you.

What made me mad was I thought the fog door leading to the second bonfire was the boss, and walked up to and immediately left the place I was suppose to torch, so not only did I gently caress up and go to the boss (and nearly win) of my own accord, I actively retreated from the bonfire. Then I fell off a cliff.

quote:

This loving netcode. Backstab a guy and then circle around and stand in front of him. He attacks me before he's even stood up.

More often than not if I guard break an enemy player, I'll take damage while they're still reeling.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
What are the requirements to join the Pilgrims of Dark? He just keeps telling me the dark is nascent within me.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Any advice for punching Covetous Demon to death? He seems pretty resistant to blunt attacks and I can't seem to get out of the way before that ridiculous roll drat near instakills me.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Elysiume posted:

What are the requirements to join the Pilgrims of Dark? He just keeps telling me the dark is nascent within me.

Oops I was wrong. neetengie is right.

Edit: Wait I just read the Brotherhood of Blood duels do not CONSUME the token of spite, but the Blue Sentinels does consume the token of Fidelity. I wonder why that is.

The Crusher fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 28, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Elysiume posted:

You need to talk to him in 3 different locations.

The Crusher posted:

Get a Token of Spite, either found in the Gutter or by killing a player through invading with a cracked red eye orb.

That's BoB

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Crusher posted:

Get a Token of Spite, either found in the Gutter or by killing a player through invading with a cracked red eye orb.

Huh, I have one of those and he still says that.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

The Crusher posted:

I have a token of spite.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Just did some co-op with a guy. Me and another white phantom carried his rear end through the level and even killed an invader, the first I've ever seen, and then we get to the boss door and he afks for 3 minutes and then sends us away :(

gently caress you Zorro. You didn't even look like Zorro. And your ping sucked.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 28, 2014

bonerstorm
Jul 26, 2009

:|

Moola posted:

Amazingly, it simply uses the name you give to your character in game, it's amazing. Also there's a filter, So 'ho' and 'nig' are censored in words like Thomas and Knight, quite silly yet hilarious.

K***ht T**mas 2014.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

neetengie posted:

You need to talk to him in 3 different locations.

That's BoB

Oops. My bad!!

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
So I picked Swordsman as my starting class and I am getting rocked pretty hardcore, I was thinking of starting over as I have just only gotten to the first boss and I feel like I wasted a lot of stuff. Is there another class recommended that will make life a bit easier?

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

neetengie posted:

They respawn enemies and I think reset the extinction counter even if you didn't massacre them, respawn loose items, wooden chests, buff enemies, buff bosses, etc. They are permanent and if you're going to stay in the Rat covenant forever ascetic them to intensity 7 or whatever.

This is great. The enemies just 3 shot an invader

ColHannibal posted:

So I picked Swordsman as my starting class and I am getting rocked pretty hardcore, I was thinking of starting over as I have just only gotten to the first boss and I feel like I wasted a lot of stuff. Is there another class recommended that will make life a bit easier?

well, which way did you go?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ColHannibal posted:

Roll a warrior, buy 2 maces and level str to 18. Powerstance your maces and annihilate everything forever.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

Huh, I have one of those and he still says that.

Yeah sorry got the covenants mixed up. Here are his 3 locations if you want to spoil it:

-One in the shaded ruins. Just before those two broken towers that lead to the Scorpioness boss, go to the right of the right-side tower and walk around until you fall through a trap floor.
-Another in the Black Gulch. The the second worm-like creature that pops out has a spot you can fall down to with a locked door. To unlock the door, fall down to another spot just below that door and kill the enemies down there for the key. He's behind the locked door.
-The last is in Drangleic Castle. In the room with a bunch of stone warriors and ruin sentinels, one of the doors that opens has another trap floor. Fall into it to find him.

The Crusher fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 28, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Jesus christ gently caress iron keep. I can't even get a good try on the Smelter demon because the path to him is such a loving chore. I keep trying to rush it an end up getting shot into lava because of those loving archers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

bef posted:

well, which way did you go?

To be fair I missed the turn to head to the forest and was trying to kill the knight things at the entrance of the tower of flame for awhile.