Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

You can use a PS3 controller on PC, you know.

Dirty Job posted:

Besides, shouldn't the PS3 controller work on a PC anyway?

I did not know that, I'll have to give it a shot. DeS and DS are the only third person action games I play (always done so on PS3) and I was such a fan of DS2 on PS3 that I wanted to try it on my PC too.

voltron lion force posted:

I've heard the default setup isn't too good, but you can fully remap all the keys.

FYI- even remapping the keys is a painful process- there is no "save changes" button and only one proper way to exit the menu so that it actually saves your changes.

Edit: you know it's bad when I'm in NG++ and higher on two different characters on PS3 but can't beat the Last Giant on KB+M

Omniblivion fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Can people using GeDoSaTo give their specs? I didn't think my comp was a toaster but when I have it loaded I get a really bad stutter ever 10 seconds or so. I run Skyrim with mods/ENBs/etc without issue.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The exploding barrels in DS2 are wonderful. Someone tried to get away from me in Belfry Luna by jumping down a hole; I followed with a plunging attack. It missed him, but connected perfectly with the stack of barrels neither of us realized he was standing next to. I just barely survived. He didn't. :darksouls:

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Internet Kraken posted:

Where the hell is this stupid windmill I have to burn to drain the poison out of Medusa's chamber?

Literally as you exit the second bonfire in the area. Kill the three manikins and then walk up the slight ramp with a torch to the right (when exiting the bonfire).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Randler posted:

Go to the central bonfire of Earthen Peak. (If you haven't found it, it's directly behind a fog door on the way up the peak.) The windmill you seek is directly in front (or behind when facing the bonfire) the central bonfire. To get to the interaction prompt you need a lit torch and go a bit up on the outside where the lone manikin stands.

Alternatively, just run through summons in front of the boss's fog door until one phantom is smart enough to lure you to where you need to go.

Wow. That is...beyond dumb. It almost seems like something they beguilingly put in if people couldn't handle the "gimmick" of the boss but that gimmick is loving awful and screws with low health players so gently caress it.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

So how do I powerstance the Cestis? I have like 25 strength and I think...8 dex. I press triangle, but all that gets me is two-handing.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Akarshi posted:

So how do I powerstance the Cestis? I have like 25 strength and I think...8 dex. I press triangle, but all that gets me is two-handing.

Not enough dex. You need 150% of the required stats.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Akarshi posted:

Assuming you have 150% the requirements and two compatible weapons, hold the button down for a bit instead of tapping it.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Broken Cog posted:

From a page back, but Im pretty sure I got invaded by you in Bellfry earlier today.

I was the sorcerer that tried to hide with chameleon beside the gnome, as I was chatting with a friend, and didnt see the invasion message.

lol yeah that was you, I saw you in the corner from the stairs so I knew you were there :haw:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Ugh, the enemy despawning is really annoying when you actually try to farm something with a low drop rate. Keep killing Sorceress in the Earthen Peak hoping to get their skirt, but even after completely clearing one area of them I didn't get it. Now I have to farm a far worse spot since the ones in the good spot despawned.

Was gonna jump in here asking about this. Was farming for human effigy when all of a sudden the lower part of The Bastille was just ... barren, save a few Gaolers

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Internet Kraken posted:

Wow. That is...beyond dumb. It almost seems like something they beguilingly put in if people couldn't handle the "gimmick" of the boss but that gimmick is loving awful and screws with low health players so gently caress it.

I think the intent of that level (Earthen Peak) was for the player to notice the windmill when entering the keep and the clockwork mechanisms throughout it. Eventually by exploring a path off to the side - climbing the ladder after the arrow trap, going not towards the boss but towards the other side - finding a spinning fan that blocks an area. Putting the movement of the mechanism in relation to the windmill, you would then inspect it. I'm not sure if there is a prompt if you go up there without a torch, though. Stopping the poison in the boss and the pool before the fog door is almost incidental to it. (Or maybe I missed some gears connecting to those. But yeah, I learned it from a golden phantom as well. I did, however, see a sign earlier saying requires torch but I either didn't move up to where the prompt was supposed to be or thought the ledge was too narrow to move onto without falling to my death.

Randler fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 28, 2014

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
There is a "Set Light" prompt if you stand near the windmill

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Randler posted:

I think the intent of that level (Earthen Peak) was for the player to notice the windmill when entering the keep and the clockwork mechanisms throughout it. Eventually by exploring a path off to the side - climbing the ladder after the arrow trap, going not towards the boss but towards the other side - finding a spinning fan that blocks an area. Putting the movement of the mechanism in relation to the windmill, you would then inspect it. I'm not sure if there is a prompt if you go up there with a torch, though. Stopping the poison in the boss and the pool before the fog door is almost incidental to it. (Or maybe I missed some gears connecting to those. But yeah, I learned it from a golden phantom as well. I did, however, see a sign earlier saying requires torch but I either didn't move up to where the prompt was supposed to be or thought the ledge was too narrow to move onto without falling to my death.

What they really should have done is made a clearer connection between the two - have the windmill inputting power to a machine that streams out poison, and have poison pools/waterfalls throughout the area. It also would have helped to make it a tad more obvious that a torch is specifically what is required.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

TheQat posted:

There is a "Set Light" prompt if you stand near the windmill

Typo, I meant "without a torch".

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

The mouse controls are such absolute garbage that I remapped the attacks to Q and E, but the mouse camera control is so superior (plus not having to claw hand the controller when you want to run) to controller that I STILL prefer it over sticks. M+K isn't up to par with what we'd expect from games in 2014 but its still a competitive and potentially, in my opinion, superior option.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

StarkWhite posted:

The mouse controls are such absolute garbage that I remapped the attacks to Q and E, but the mouse camera control is so superior (plus not having to claw hand the controller when you want to run) to controller that I STILL prefer it over sticks. M+K isn't up to par with what we'd expect from games in 2014 but its still a competitive and potentially, in my opinion, superior option.

Why would you need to claw hand the controller when you want to run?

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

If you want to be able to manipulate the camera and run at the same time you either need 2 thumbs or you need to claw the controller.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
There's apparently an area between Tseldora and the Gutter I haven't found, according to the bonfire menu. What's up with that?

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

There's apparently an area between Tseldora and the Gutter I haven't found, according to the bonfire menu. What's up with that?

Grave of Saints?

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

I use the mouse and keyboard, and after a few rebindings I find it to be much better than the controller. Eat it. :colbert:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Omniblivion posted:

I'm bummed because the frame rate is awesome and it looks great overall, the controls are just unmanageable and I'm not buying a controller for my PC.

Anyone else experiencing this? I think I read something last week about people having a workaround for the lovely controls on KB+M, but this thread is moving like my bowels after eating in-n-out

StarkWhite posted:

There are lots of variations of ways to improve the kb+m controls using AutoHotKey scripts, but this is the one I'm using:

#IfWinActive, ahk_class DarkSouls2
~*LButton::
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{h}
return

~*RButton::
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{u}
return

XButton1::
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{w}
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{h}
return

XButton2::
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{w}
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{t}
return

Enjoy. H is my R1, U is my L1, T is my R2. That gets rid of input lag on raising shield and lets you perform guard breaks / leap attacks using extra mouse buttons. I do R2 attacks via keyboard. After you remap the other menu keys to whatever you prefer life gets easy. I use 'E' for interacting/use item, for example, and Q to toggle target lock.

The only thing you have to watch out for is not accidentally attacking a NPC when left-clicking on some prompt.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Wait you can repair the Ring of Life Protection? For only 3000 souls? That seems like Ultra Easy Mode.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

GhostDog posted:

Wait you can repair the Ring of Life Protection? For only 3000 souls? That seems like Ultra Easy Mode.

People were raising a big stink over that over in the console thread and were expecting FROM to patch that out. On the downside, you'd have to return to Majula every time you died to repair that ring, so it made the game a little tedious, especially on consoles (PS3 in particular) where load times were pretty long.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

ChaosArgate posted:

People were raising a big stink over that over in the console thread and were expecting FROM to patch that out. On the downside, you'd have to return to Majula every time you died to repair that ring, so it made the game a little tedious, especially on consoles (PS3 in particular) where load times were pretty long.

I think it's okay to have that option but it should probably be more expensive. It's hard to resist considering it means I can stay at 100% health without burning effigies. It seems to make a lot of the mechanics surrounding death a bit superflous though.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

I am basically invincible.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

GhostDog posted:

I think it's okay to have that option but it should probably be more expensive. It's hard to resist considering it means I can stay at 100% health without burning effigies. It seems to make a lot of the mechanics surrounding death a bit superflous though.

I feel like it'd be a little pointless to bump up the price of repairing that ring to make it harder to retain humanity without burning effigies now that FROM's made it so that a successful sunbro session now restores your humanity and refills your estus flask.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

StarkWhite posted:

Grave of Saints?

That was it! Totally missed the ledge that leads there.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What arrows should I use? I'm pretty early in the game (just through Sinner's Rest) and sticking almost exclusively to melee. Are there any arrows that are cheap to buy or easy to find and do decent dmg?

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Matlock Birthmark posted:

If their is a grace period, it's hard to tell. You can have up to two people invading you at once, so maybe someone was already being summoned in as you killed the first guy.

Red phantoms can also invade for more jolly cooperation.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

PirateBob posted:

What arrows should I use? I'm pretty early in the game (just through Sinner's Rest) and sticking almost exclusively to melee. Are there any arrows that are cheap to buy or easy to find and do decent dmg?

You can buy wooden arrows in Majula from the blacksmith. They have an unlimited stock and faired me well through the times where I wanted to snipe off casters. Once you unlock McDuff I think he sells iron arrows with unlimited stock. You can also buy poison arrows from Gavlan when he sets up in the Doors of Pharros.

bonerstorm
Jul 26, 2009

:|

Internet Kraken posted:

You're not in Diablo anymore, poo poo will kill you.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Nothing could've prepared me for experiencing Gavlan. wow. At least I now have a place to sell stuff.

Also, Lucatiel of Mirrah has quite the back-story, I really wish I could hand her an effigy to cure her face. I wonder where the game will carry her tale if at all.

I'm kind of stuck right now, I'm pretty much gone through the Bastille and defeated the lost sinner from both directions, the tower of flame, the forest of giants, no mans wharf, those two routes converge to one point, so I have no clue where to go next, I cant unpetrify the lady at the locked gate until I find another potion to deal with her. any hints that would lead me in the right direction?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

Nothing could've prepared me for experiencing Gavlan. wow. At least I now have a place to sell stuff.

Also, Lucatiel of Mirrah has quite the back-story, I really wish I could hand her an effigy to cure her face I wonder where the game will carry her tale if at all.

I'm kind of stuck right now, I'm pretty much gone through the Bastille and defeated the lost sinner from both directions, the tower of flame, the forrest of giants, no mans wharf, those two ruotes converge to one point, so I have no clue where to go next, I cant petrify the lady at the locked gate until I find another potion to deal with her. any hints that would lead me in the right direction?

Have you found the miracle trainer after she leaves Heide's Tower of Flame and moves to Majula?

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

The OP needs to be updated with some info or some links about the K+M stuff.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

neonbregna posted:

Red phantoms can also invade for more jolly cooperation.

Can you bring in two whites, get invaded twice from bell bros and then once from a blood bro?

The jolliest of cooperation!

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
This loving netcode. Backstab a guy and then circle around and stand in front of him. He attacks me before he's even stood up.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Laughing Zealot posted:

The OP needs to be updated with some info or some links about the K+M stuff.

Also with advice to turn off the ingame anti-aliasing because it makes the game look like dogshit.

Flawless Widescreen should also be mentioned for people who want 16:10 support or borderless windowed play.

And this is pretty awesome:
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/dark-souls-ii-tweak-guide

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

ChaosArgate posted:

I feel like it'd be a little pointless to bump up the price of repairing that ring to make it harder to retain humanity without burning effigies now that FROM's made it so that a successful sunbro session now restores your humanity and refills your estus flask.

I didn't know that, I've not been into MP yet other than being summoned by those drat rats.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Sure do love getting killed because I execute a guard break instead of a normal attack. I wish I could just disable that because its useless against almost every enemy in PvE and just gets me killed in close fights because I use the wrong move.

bonerstorm posted:

You're not in Diablo anymore, poo poo will kill you.

I have no idea what you mean by that. The room being completely flooded with poison just screws over characetrs with lower hp since you have less health to work with. I imagine characters with high health could just ignore it but if I got hit by Medusa once while fighting in the poison I'd be dead since my health was so low. I guess you could break some radiant life gems but I didn't have them equipped unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

bonerstorm posted:

If you haven't learned from DS1, Use a controller. In this day and age why would you expect anything otherwise?

Because there are plenty of other games like this that play just fine with M+KB? The M+KB controls in this are way worse than they should be. It's like noone at FROM has played a PC game in their life.