Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
2. After all the man has done for the club, I don't feel that it's right to jack him around too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Sky Shadowing posted:

What's the idea, if it's sufficiently hilarious I may pick it.

Private message sent. Up for it?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
AJ_Impy's idea is good, and I'm using it. But I'm aiming a little higher than him. Why target the Prince when you can go for the King? And why should I settle for embezzling from only Wrexham when I have access to the most lucrative vault in all of English football?

The 'small change' I request is to take Manchester United's funds, and add several zeroes to the end of it. Then make it negative.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
The trouble with doing it to United is it then becomes derivative of the Glazers. Nonetheless, let's see if it works...

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Wouldn't that just completely destroy the club and take out a rival in a cheap way? Would kinda spoil our achievements down the line if we just murder the driving force of the EPL like that in my opinion.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

CVE posted:

Wouldn't that just completely destroy the club and take out a rival in a cheap way? Would kinda spoil our achievements down the line if we just murder the driving force of the EPL like that in my opinion.

Also a fair point: United are the endboss. Target the prince instead of the king, because we want to dethrone the king.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

True enough.

Assuming it's not too late, change it to Arsenal.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

I know it be two changes, but if you are going to bankrupt a team, shouldn't another team receive funds? So the economy remains balanced of course.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Sneaky Fast posted:

I know it be two changes, but if you are going to bankrupt a team, shouldn't another team receive funds? So the economy remains balanced of course.

I know who I'd give it to if Arsenal are the fall guys. :colbert:

BoyG
Nov 24, 2004

Have you heard the tale of the Cannibal King of Kavodel?
Just change Arsenals name to "Woolwich Arsenal" and be done with it :colbert:

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

BoyG posted:

Just change Arsenals name to "Woolwich Arsenal" and be done with it :colbert:

I think this is a better idea. It's more fun to stomp the big clubs if they aren't halfway to liquidation. Why not just give Spurs Arsenal's bank balance?

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Swap Manchester United with FC United of Manchester?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

rizzen posted:

I think this is a better idea. It's more fun to stomp the big clubs if they aren't halfway to liquidation. Why not just give Spurs Arsenal's bank balance?

Because I made a promise and I intend to live up to it. I was voted in with an overwhelming mandate, and I will not go back on my word.

AJ_Impy's election pledges posted:

I want to see us win the league. I want to see us win the Champion's League. I want us to knock the oil oligarchs off their loving perch. I want to see Arsenal relegated. If elected, I will do my utmost to guarantee all these things, and more, happen. Beneath the banner of our God-King Brown, our legion of prodigies shall rampage across the premier league!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

If you're going to give it to someone, give it to Tackleford. :getin:

I miss having our rivals to hate.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Sky Shadowing posted:

Ooo, I like that. Destroy Arsenal, and rocket-fuel our rivals.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Sky Shadowing posted:

Seconded

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Yeah, we've gotta find a way to get Tackleford up into the Premier League. It's not fun only whupping them once a season in friendlies.

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009

Brony Hunter posted:

Yeah, we've gotta find a way to get Tackleford up into the Premier League. It's not fun only whupping them once a season in friendlies.

Can't we just force-promote them to Premier League somehow? If only to watch and laugh as they crash and burn and get stomped by absolutely everybody else.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Thy will be done!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I'll admit, when AJ_Impy brought forward the idea to destroy a megabastard I was interested just to see if it can be done. I don't share his passionate hatred of Arsenal so I of course wanted to hit the biggest guy in the place, and that's Manchester United (plus it'd bit a slap of real-life karma... with a significant amount extra). But the point of 'it's not fun if we're not beating Man U' has a point, so Arsenal is good, just megabastard enough to see if it works but not megabastard enough to seriously upset the apple cart.

Ages ago, in the Ray Parlour there was a club named AFC Parmo where goons would take control of a club for roughly 6 months (start of preseason to January 1st, January 1st to end-of-season). The first year they succeeded spectacularly, with a story practically made for movies where one of the first players who scored a goal in the Conference South scored a goal in the Champions League final.

Now, the reason I'm giving the money to Tackleford is that in the next version of Football Manager they created a team called MK Parmigiana, who was the megabastard of megabastards and represented that Americans had come over, taken the team over, moved it, changed its color, history, etc., and tossed off the debris of AFC Parmo to the dregs where they took it back over in Conference North, and brought it back to the top yet again. That was a lot of fun to read, that there was always a rival who was there and worthy and you could shout at.

So let's get our favorite punching bag up to par and beat the living snot out of them every few years!

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Sky Shadowing posted:

I'll admit, when AJ_Impy brought forward the idea to destroy a megabastard I was interested just to see if it can be done. I don't share his passionate hatred of Arsenal so I of course wanted to hit the biggest guy in the place, and that's Manchester United (plus it'd bit a slap of real-life karma... with a significant amount extra). But the point of 'it's not fun if we're not beating Man U' has a point, so Arsenal is good, just megabastard enough to see if it works but not megabastard enough to seriously upset the apple cart.

Ages ago, in the Ray Parlour there was a club named AFC Parmo where goons would take control of a club for roughly 6 months (start of preseason to January 1st, January 1st to end-of-season). The first year they succeeded spectacularly, with a story practically made for movies where one of the first players who scored a goal in the Conference South scored a goal in the Champions League final.

Now, the reason I'm giving the money to Tackleford is that in the next version of Football Manager they created a team called MK Parmigiana, who was the megabastard of megabastards and represented that Americans had come over, taken the team over, moved it, changed its color, history, etc., and tossed off the debris of AFC Parmo to the dregs where they took it back over in Conference North, and brought it back to the top yet again. That was a lot of fun to read, that there was always a rival who was there and worthy and you could shout at.

So let's get our favorite punching bag up to par and beat the living snot out of them every few years!

Yeah, I agree with this. We need to revive our rivalry...and that means making Tackleford into a megabastard of epic proportions. We need to make Tackleford into the Ivan Drago of English football.

James Peach
Dec 30, 2008

Brony Hunter posted:

Yeah, I agree with this. We need to revive our rivalry...and that means making Tackleford into a megabastard of epic proportions. We need to make Tackleford into the Ivan Drago of English football.

I personally don't care about Tackleford anymore. We've left them in the dust, and I see no real reason to be mad at them considering we're on top and they're not.

Now, Wrexham does have a real rivalry, and that's with Chester F.C. in the Cross-border derby. But since Wrexham's been moving up, the rivalry was reduced to a few friendlies before being left in the dust like Tackleford. It would be a twist to end all twists if Chester came out of nowhere to follow Wrexham's meteoric rise to the Premier League. Suddenly, the old rivalry would return with a vengeance.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Please don't gently caress up real teams to bring some fake team from a webcomic into the premier league thanks.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Kuno posted:

Please don't gently caress up real teams to bring some fake team from a webcomic into the premier league thanks.

:siren:Arsenal supporter detected!:siren:

Dwarsen
Jan 27, 2004
Dungeon Master

Kuno posted:

Seconded. Ditching Tackleford was the best thing to happen to this LP. Please don't bring them back.

Blogkb - because you too like video games, old and new (it's just a blog)

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Kuno posted:

Meh, I agree with this. I'd prefer if we gave money to Chester (without taking from Arsenal) and be done with it. But I don't make the decisions (I should, though).

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

So 2 Questions about this LP and one about the game.

Game Question:
Is the game really as bad as some people say? From what I've seen so far, fan reaction has been mixed and without this LP, I wouldn't have considered getting this.

LP Questions:
1)When will it be necessary to get a new stadium? This probably isn't good enough resarch, but a quick enough glance at Wikipedia states that only 2 stadiums ever used in the Premier League are smaller than the Racecourse Grounds.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Premier_League_stadiums

2) What the hell did Man U do to get 100 points? It just seems way too much even for a club of that stature especially since at the moment I can count the number of clubs to finish over 90 points with one hand.

EDIT: Wrong link

Dreamsicle fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 29, 2014

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

The thing about stadium size is Wrexham is a small town of only roughly 42,000 people. Some of the larger stadiums in the league have a higher capacity than Wrexham's entire population. Even if you consider the surrounding villages and towns, there's only so much fans you can have.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Brony Hunter posted:

The thing about stadium size is Wrexham is a small town of only roughly 42,000 people. Some of the larger stadiums in the league have a higher capacity than Wrexham's entire population. Even if you consider the surrounding villages and towns, there's only so much fans you can have.

I'm just assuming that at some point a lot of more people outside Wales will attend in the future if Wrexham has several years of high play (Champions League wins/FA Cup Wins etc). I'm not proposing a massive increase, maybe an increase to 20-26 thousand capacity. Of course, the fact we're located in Wales might drive some people away.

Dreamsicle fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 29, 2014

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Dreamsicle posted:

So 2 Questions about this LP and one about the game.

Game Question:
Is the game really as bad as some people say? From what I've seen so far, fan reaction has been mixed and without this LP, I wouldn't have considered getting this.

LP Questions:
1)When will it be necessary to get a new stadium? This probably isn't good enough resarch, but a quick enough glance at Wikipedia states that only 2 stadiums ever used in the Premier League are smaller than the Racecourse Grounds.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Premier_League_stadiums

2) What the hell did Man U do to get 100 points? It just seems way too much even for a club of that stature especially since at the moment I can count the number of clubs to finish over 90 points with one hand.

EDIT: Wrong link

Game Answer:
It's not one of Steam's most played games because it's a bad game. It's fun, it will suck up every ounce of your free time if you let it, it's got that Civ quality of "one more match, one more transfer..."

1.) More success means more attendance, more attendance will eventually mean bigger stadium. A few seasons at least.

2.) Sell their soul to the darkness... Really, it's an issue that the game has that events like this real season with ManU don't really happen. Good teams stay good. Granted, Manchester United will probably also rebound in RL, but they have a massive leg up.

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 29, 2014

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Out of curiosity, with the in-game year being 2020, are the Olympics being modeled in the background?

Or do you not want another reason for Australia to steal the Meteor for months on end?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Dreamsicle posted:

Game Question:

The game has a fairly steep learning curve compared to previous iterations and a lot of people don't like this. There are some genuine gripes, such as how often the ball hits the woodwork and (possibly) the conversion ratio of one-on-ones, but it's a solid version of the game and FM players aren't the brightest bunch of internet denizens, so just ignore them.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Thanks for the responses. I have one more question

Obviously there are plenty of guides for FM but is there a team or at least league that will let me experiment with those guidelines with little risk? Think of Ireland in CK2.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Dreamsicle posted:

Thanks for the responses. I have one more question

Obviously there are plenty of guides for FM but is there a team or at least league that will let me experiment with those guidelines with little risk? Think of Ireland in CK2.

Most megabastard clubs work well for that purpose. Man City or Paris Saint Germain are good enough to make nearly any decent tactic work, and they've got the money to buy nearly anyone they'd want. Just don't try learning the game with a low level club or a club in a terrible league.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

There's a FM thread in the Ray Parlour for more advice, but yes, a good team can help you learn before you try and pull off what habeasdorkus has pulled off. After a season or two you can start a new game with a lower team if you want.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

McGavin posted:

:siren:Arsenal supporter detected!:siren:

Well, I'd have pushed for it to be done to Tottenham instead. Their bank balance wouldn't be able to get Tackleford into the Premier League though so...

Anyway, Sure Shot Shirra for some alliteration?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Please don't gently caress with the league teams.

But if you absolutely positively have to, do it to loving Chelsea, yeah? Come on, no fucker on the planet likes them, not even the players, manager or owner I bet. They are literally worse than the heat death of the universe.

LITERALLY.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Yeah, Tackleford was fun and all, but don't gently caress with the leagues. I'd sya just start up a new rivalry with your Premier team of choice (perhaps Arsenal???)

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
gently caress with the leagues, Wrexham nearly went to Europe for fucks sake, there is no sanctity here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Uncle Jam posted:

gently caress with the leagues, Wrexham nearly went to Europe for fucks sake, there is no sanctity here.

That was through the struggles of our gaffer and our squad, though. There is no accomplishment or fun in kicking the poo poo out of the big teams if they're not at their best.

• Locked thread