Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

GruntyThrst posted:

:psyduck: Do you mind saying what costume it was?
This one:

I'm in the process of totally rebuilding it right now, there were some strange choices made in the building process for that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Gonna just assume the halo was actually part of the costume

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I saw a guy at DragonCon dressed as the Old Spice guy. He was a black dude, ripped to all hell, in nothing but a towel. I'm sure he has similar reasons to any girl in a power girl outfit.

I don't wear revealing costumes. I don't care if other people do, it's just not how I like to dress. The one time I had a problem with creepers, I had a cloak on so heavy that you'd need X-ray vision to see boobies. I think it was the pink wig that set off their moe moe sugoi waifu alarm.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Balobam posted:

Gonna just assume the halo was actually part of the costume

2nd time around, it will be! :D I'm promoting myself to canoness so I can have a nice iron halo.

Here are some other people I met in the C2E2 contest! The costumes were all just crazy awesome, I've never been in a contest with such a great level of craftsmanship and all.

Red Riding Hood, the huntress from Becka Noel Studios

Demon Hunter from Diablo by Pippi and Ix

e. And this is my arm after wearing my marine suit for like 6 hours. I am so loving sore today.

McPantserton has a new favorite as of 15:33 on Apr 28, 2014

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Q: That's a great costume. What made you choose [character] to cosplay?
Girl: It's an awesome costume and I have tons of fun doing it!
Q: Fun? Sounds like you have some false consciousness issues.
Girl: What? No seriously, I...
Q: Serious? Hah. Sluts can't be serious.
Girl: Slut? No, It's just fun to play something else for..
Q: So you have low self esteem and want to hide yourself? Fatty.
Girl: Look, you dumb poo poo...
Q: Psycho.
Girl: Just please leave me alone.
Q: Bitch.

Q: That's a great costume. What made you choose [character] to cosplay?
Guy: It's an awesome costume and I have tons of fun doing it!
Q: Cool.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He even officiates at Mad Max theme weddings!

That's fantastic. I hope he does the Voice. I hope when he gets to the "If any of you has reasons why these two should not be married" part, Wez objects and Humungus has to choke him out.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

joat mon posted:

That's fantastic. I hope he does the Voice. I hope when he gets to the "If any of you has reasons why these two should not be married" part, Wez objects and Humungus has to choke him out.

"If any of you has reasons why these two should not be married, just walk away. Just walk away"

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I think it's a bit sad someone seemed upset when I suggested making a costume I liked more modest because I don't think I'm attractive enough for skimpy stuff (sorry!). I wasn't slut shaming, I just liked the idea and a bit more cover. :/ I'd wear something because *I* like it. If attention or being noticed is someone's motivation, so be it. I am not the motivation police. But no one deserves creepers.

And yikes at that bruise. I hope your arm feels better soon.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

McPantserton posted:

e. And this is my arm after wearing my marine suit for like 6 hours. I am so loving sore today.

drat, that's dedication.

Aerofallosov posted:

I think it's a bit sad someone seemed upset when I suggested making a costume I liked more modest because I don't think I'm attractive enough for skimpy stuff (sorry!). I wasn't slut shaming, I just liked the idea and a bit more cover. :/ I'd wear something because *I* like it. If attention or being noticed is someone's motivation, so be it. I am not the motivation police. But no one deserves creepers.

I quoted it a bit earlier, but I really like that bit Yaya Han did about modifying designs into something you feel comfortable wearing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Internal interstitial blood for the blood god! Skulls for the skull throne!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Normally it's not so terrible to wear but I uhh, may have tripped and completely faceplanted in the armor. :doh: I'm just glad that I took more damage than the suits, I'm wearing that bitch again in like 3 weeks!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Oh man, i'd have paid good money to see that.

Not that I want you destroying your costume, but just the idea that this GIANT STARCRAFT MARINE BADASS is just one of those clumsy guys who everyone else in the platoon can't stand. "DAMMIT DAVE WHY DO YOU ALWAYS HAVE TO DO THIS poo poo?"

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
A friend of my wife recently had a discussion on their facebook page about cosplaying and tattoos. They are a pretty balanced crew and the comments were wildly positive, but I think we all know the real answer is that everything you do must be solely for the enjoyment of others, and anything that ruins their immersion is terrible. :reject:

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Oh man, i'd have paid good money to see that.

Not that I want you destroying your costume, but just the idea that this GIANT STARCRAFT MARINE BADASS is just one of those clumsy guys who everyone else in the platoon can't stand. "DAMMIT DAVE WHY DO YOU ALWAYS HAVE TO DO THIS poo poo?"

Ahahahah yeah, that's kinda how I felt. Or maybe like a giant plastic face-down turtle. I was saved by my friends and a fortunately placed super muscular Lobo cosplayer.

Boomerjinks posted:

A friend of my wife recently had a discussion on their facebook page about cosplaying and tattoos. They are a pretty balanced crew and the comments were wildly positive, but I think we all know the real answer is that everything you do must be solely for the enjoyment of others, and anything that ruins their immersion is terrible. :reject:

Not gonna lie, I don't have any tattoos mostly because I don't want them visible for my cosplays. Crazy though, how I manage to apply this standard only to myself!

Here's another person whose work I really love, I can't sew for beans so work as clean and pretty as J. Hart Designs' costumes is sort of mesmerizing to me.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
The Cosplay Thread Presents: Do women ever like feeling sexy and attractive? A roundtable discussion with the nicest boys from the IT department

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
McPantserton, your armor shots are literally all I want from life. I would sign off my firstborn to just watch you run around in that suit with that cigar and punch the poo poo out of things. I say this as a heterosexual female whose goals can be cleanly summed up as:

--Punch poo poo
--Look badass
--Punch more poo poo

(Unfortunately I look like a chick version of Captain America before the experiment, and my version of 'cosplay' involves wearing a black t-shirt with a white @ on the front, so I'll just live vicariously through your flawless and heartbreaking armor set, bruises and all.)

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

elise the great posted:

McPantserton, your armor shots are literally all I want from life.

Seriously. I lurk here, but I'd also like to say that McPantserton's armor is freaking amazing. The most effort I've ever put towards cosplay was spending over a month to create a Star Trek uniform which ended up being an enormous amount of work (for me at least!) and that was just fabric! I can't imagine building armor, but it looks like so much fun and you did an amazing job.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

McPantserton posted:

We all know you've got a debilitating stimpack addiction.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

elise the great posted:

McPantserton, your armor shots are literally all I want from life. I would sign off my firstborn to just watch you run around in that suit with that cigar and punch the poo poo out of things. I say this as a heterosexual female whose goals can be cleanly summed up as:

--Punch poo poo
--Look badass
--Punch more poo poo

(Unfortunately I look like a chick version of Captain America before the experiment, and my version of 'cosplay' involves wearing a black t-shirt with a white @ on the front, so I'll just live vicariously through your flawless and heartbreaking armor set, bruises and all.)

You might be able to find a WW2 orginal uniform very cheap to so exactly that. Small men's uniforms are a dime a dozen because all us average (huge for ww2) guys snapped up the larger stuff years ago.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Thanks, guys, seriously. I'm grinning like a moron at my desk now thanks to you, it seriously means a ton and I'm just deeply, deeply flattered. It's a crazy amount of work to build stuff like the marines but it is soooo much fun and so insanely rewarding. I've made some amazing friends through the hobby and learned more than I ever thought I'd know about plastics and adhesives. I'm so glad the hobby has gotten popular and that the people doing it are still all so cool, it's changed a lot since I started 12ish years ago.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

McPantserton posted:

I took more damage than the suits

I don't think that's how armor is supposed to work.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

McPantserton posted:

Thanks, guys, seriously. I'm grinning like a moron at my desk now thanks to you, it seriously means a ton and I'm just deeply, deeply flattered. It's a crazy amount of work to build stuff like the marines but it is soooo much fun and so insanely rewarding. I've made some amazing friends through the hobby and learned more than I ever thought I'd know about plastics and adhesives. I'm so glad the hobby has gotten popular and that the people doing it are still all so cool, it's changed a lot since I started 12ish years ago.

Where the gently caress do you store all of that?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Some of it goes up on the wall:

And the rest gets piled up in our hilariously overpacked basement storage locker:

It's extra fun because my husband cosplays too so we have 2 marines jammed in down there. We're probably going to look at moving out of our apartment and into a house next year because our hobbies are just too large.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

McPantserton posted:

It's extra fun because my husband cosplays too so we have 2 marines jammed in down there. We're probably going to look at moving out of our apartment and into a house next year because our hobbies are just too large.

The best reason to buy a house.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One of my friends found a mannequin in a dumpster and he displayed his 501st armor on it when not in use. Might be worth keeping an eye out for some.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

ufarn posted:

We all know you've got a debilitating stimpack addiction.

You've been found out now, soldier.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Rhyno posted:

One of my friends found a mannequin in a dumpster and he displayed his 501st armor on it when not in use. Might be worth keeping an eye out for some.

I bought a male mannequin and a female mannequin off eBay for about $75 each, with shipping. They're not just good for displaying finished costumes - I've used ours to work on costumes that require painting, etc. because they approximate the shape the suit will have when worn.

Re: the earlier discussion, I have several "sexy" costumes and just as many costumes that don't accentuate my body at all. Most of the time people don't seem to realize I'm the same person from one costume to the next, even if my face isn't covered or made up. I know there are plenty of costumers who do exclusively sexy costumes, but for the most part I think lots of folks have a balance of each. I wear the costumes I think are cool looking, for characters I like. Period. Whether it's the Alex Ross version of Poison Ivy or a set of Battlestar Galactica BDUs, that's what it's about for me, and the sexiness doesn't figure into my decision process.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Rhyno posted:

We built a stand for one of them so we could have it displayed at our wedding reception, and I was about to say that our place is too small for it to be set up, but I actually just realized that if I get rid of an old chair that just gathers clothing in our bedroom room we could set it up there until we move into a house. My mind is completely, completely blown by the greatness of this plan.

More cosplay photos, here are 2 of my absolute best cosplay friends in the world as Mad Moxxi and the Sheriff of Lynchwood. Their group is called the Verssen Werks, we're collaborating with them right now on a 10-person Valkyria Chronicles squad where they're doing all the sewing and we're doing all the armor that should be done for ACEN in a few weeks.

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!
I'm coming late to the sexy costume discussion, but I wanted to say this thread is full of nice people with cool opinions. My friend has told me she's not really comfortable in cosplay without me or her husband around just because of the creepers, which makes me feel pretty awful, but my hope is that as cosplaying becomes more mainstream, respect and mutual enthusiasm will win out over the "I need more of this...for science" crowd.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

McPantserton posted:

This one:

I'm in the process of totally rebuilding it right now, there were some strange choices made in the building process for that one.

drat that's a nice SOB outfit. They actually seem pretty common for 40K cosplay, but I rarely see them done particularly well. I think the guy getting pissed at you was offended by the boob plate, but you can blame Games Workshop for that. And for not updating their models in years.

I need to make a Kasrkin costume, I think it would be a blast.

achillesforever6 posted:

Don't know what convention this is from, but still its adorable :3:

Looks like Kill La Kill.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Arcsquad12 posted:

drat that's a nice SOB outfit. They actually seem pretty common for 40K cosplay, but I rarely see them done particularly well. I think the guy getting pissed at you was offended by the boob plate, but you can blame Games Workshop for that. And for not updating their models in years.

I need to make a Kasrkin costume, I think it would be a blast.

Thanks, it was my ultimate dream costume of mine for years and years. There are all these really terrible anime drawings of SoBs littered all over my mom's house that I did in high school, haha. As I begin rebuilding the whole thing from scratch I find myself really unwilling to get rid of any parts of my first version of it though, I'm really bad about hanging on to my old costumes. I have every single one I've ever made. For the last 12 years. :ohdear:

Since we've all been chatting all day, here's something hilarious, my first costume of all time from back in 2002!

Things have changed a bit since then.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Aerofallosov posted:

And yikes at that bruise. I hope your arm feels better soon.

There was talk about making costumes more modest on a FB group I'm part of (for League of Legends cosplayers) and the general concensus was very positive - modest up an outfit all you drat please! People have differing levels of comfort with showing their body - as long as you like your interpretation of the character, that's all that matters.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

McPantserton posted:

Since we've all been chatting all day, here's something hilarious, my first costume of all time from back in 2002!

Do an update to it and go to a con, taking a bunch of selfies in it.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

McPantserton posted:

More cosplay photos, here are 2 of my absolute best cosplay friends in the world as Mad Moxxi and the Sheriff of Lynchwood. Their group is called the Verssen Werks, we're collaborating with them right now on a 10-person Valkyria Chronicles squad where they're doing all the sewing and we're doing all the armor that should be done for ACEN in a few weeks.

Well now. You should be able to ask that Moxxi why the wrong button is missing. The mystery could be solved!

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

McPantserton posted:

It would be really neat to see a cosplay version of Celebrities posing with younger versions of themselves.

I'd love to see that timid Selphie with badass cigar-chomping space marine's hand around her shoulder!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

McPantserton posted:

Their group is called the Verssen Werks, we're collaborating with them right now on a 10-person Valkyria Chronicles squad where they're doing all the sewing and we're doing all the armor that should be done for ACEN in a few weeks.

...I never knew how much I wanted to see this until this exact moment.

Xenoletum posted:

Alternatively, Plan B: Repurpose parts of your Hilde armor to make Beatrix.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

joat mon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wovY2WCLlug

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Xenoletum posted:

You are a guddamn genius

in case you missed it: the character's name is Selphie, from Final Fantasy VIII

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Am I too late for the sexy male cosplay discussion? Because that's the perfect time to bring up my costume from Halloween 2012:

And for those thinking that's too safe to have me banned from Music Television, I have sexier poses available.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

McPantserton posted:

I will add to the love by saying seeing all the costumes here, especially the awesome ones like yours, have really been a contributing factor in making me play dress-up every year when I go to SDCC. Two years ago my brother and I went as Mario and Luigi as our first cosplay outing. Last year we went as the TV Puppet Pals Mitch and Clem from Dexter's Lab. This year I'm trying to get a Sanageyama costume made to go with his Luffy costume, so we can both go as 'monkey's. Looking at the kickass stuff people here are making themselves is really pushing me to up my game despite my lack of natural craftsmanship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

• Locked thread