Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
If you build more than 2 cities early on, you have to manually change your focus in your not-capitals regularly. If your happiness gets to 1-2 you should change your not-main-city focuses to be production or something, anything that restricts growth. if you just leave growth on your unhappiness will always tank. a bit later on when you get more happiness bonuses you can let them grow more. Edit: if you have got all of tradition, there's something that allows your capital to grow without penalising happiness as much as it does in other cities.

redreader fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, I slowed down growth in the second game, but Montezuma declared war on me and I'm satisfied I do not have the skill to balance happiness, gold, culture, science and maintain a decent army so I don't get steam rolled.

Otherwise everything was going fine! I only dipped into -1 unhappiness briefly, but as I said, this took all my effort, and completely ignored military outside of the units I built do defeat the barbarians.

I'm not convinced barbarians target AI units. I saw a barbarian ignore an AI settler and attack my speaman on a hill.

Maybe i'll just turn of Barbarians. Empires are so small, the areas between them tend to be swarming with them, even in the later game.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 26, 2014

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Open up your diplomacy overview, find a civ with spare luxury resources, and see if they'll do a swap for your spare luxury resources. Ideally as soon as you hook up each new copy of a resource you should be trading it to other civs for either more happiness or 7GPT.

It's particularly fun to renew this agreement over and over, so by the end of the game, both your civs have been trading oranges and pearls or whatever for 4,500 years without interruption.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

redreader posted:

That's what I said. Warriors do better than scouts against barbarians. And that's all I have early game, so "warriors suck against barbarians" is like, well what am I supposed to do?

Your scouts aren't supposed to be fighting barbarians, because that slows down your scouting. The extra sight promotions let you avoid fights, the extra defense/healing promotions let you soak hits and heal up faster afterwards. Combined with their ignore terrain ability, you just outpace the barbarians through some rough terrain, hole up on a forested hill for a couple turns, then keep going.

Your Warrior can't outrun the barbarians and will get chased endlessly when they're damaged, plus it'll take several times longer to heal up. You might have a slight strength advantage in early combat thanks to the difficulty level bonus, but it's still going to cost you too much time. As soon as barbarian Spearmen start popping, the Warrior's usefulness is significantly diminished. Combined with a lousy upgrade path (Swordsmen, wrong side of the tech tree compounded by a need for Iron), he's not that great to keep at home for defense either.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Getting a Jaguar Warrior, or Immortal or other early UU that retains its special abilities to the late game is fun if you can pull it off. Mobile Infantry with jungle/forest movement and healing on kills or helicopters that heal at twice the normal rate are rad. The Polish Winged Hussars make good helicopters too.

E: which is why I don't like Greece, they get two UUs at the same time, but they only have a higher combat strength, which doesn't carry over. Jerks.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Eh, by the time you're out of the Classical Era the Greek's UA is paying for itself.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Speedball posted:

Eh, by the time you're out of the Classical Era the Greek's UA is paying for itself.

Well, the UA is amazing, no doubt.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I just started playing on Deity and it's pretty fun even though I'm getting curb stomped. First game I was near Monte and Oda, second game I was near Elizabeth and Caesar. Getting into an early war, even though I won, set me too far back.

Pretty fun.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Pvt.Scott posted:

Getting a Jaguar Warrior, or Immortal or other early UU that retains its special abilities to the late game is fun if you can pull it off. Mobile Infantry with jungle/forest movement and healing on kills or helicopters that heal at twice the normal rate are rad. The Polish Winged Hussars make good helicopters too.

E: which is why I don't like Greece, they get two UUs at the same time, but they only have a higher combat strength, which doesn't carry over. Jerks.
Commerce is pretty fun as Poland. Landsknechts upgrade into winged hussars.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I just started playing on Deity and it's pretty fun even though I'm getting curb stomped. First game I was near Monte and Oda, second game I was near Elizabeth and Caesar. Getting into an early war, even though I won, set me too far back.

Pretty fun.

Deity is definitely a lot of fun if you're the kind of gamer that likes to operate under a lot of constraints. I think you learn a lot about the game playing that way.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I've almost got Emperor down. I figure a few more wins and I'll bump it up. Should be fun.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Holy poo poo, pubbies.

I decided to go into a random MP game to test my connection settings and decided to play it through (would be a bit of a dick move not to).

Turn 30, I steal this guy's worker, and he just exploded. He was absolutely raging about it for like 20 minutes. He even got his worker back but apparently I had somehow dealt a crippling blow from which he couldn't hope to recover. Then he quits.

Pubbies :stare:

That's the last time I ever do that.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I couldn't fathom playing a game like this with randoms.

When I play with my friends we love taking good barbarian fighting civs, turning on raging, and then removing about half the slotted civs from the map to ensure barbarians are always going to be at the gates. It makes for fun team games but does anyone know of any mods in this flavor that could liven things up?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Regular mods doesn't work but you can change some file that governs barb spawning rate to make raging barbs look passive. If all players change it to the same value it should work, I think. Unfortunately I don't remember which file it was.

:allears:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Soylent Pudding posted:

I couldn't fathom playing a game like this with randoms.

When I play with my friends we love taking good barbarian fighting civs, turning on raging, and then removing about half the slotted civs from the map to ensure barbarians are always going to be at the gates. It makes for fun team games but does anyone know of any mods in this flavor that could liven things up?
Play Civ 4, Permanent Alliances On, and then gently caress with each other until you research Fascism? :v:

Seriously, working together with someone you're technically competing with for the first two-thirds of the game is a surprisingly fun twist on the classic comp stomp. Pay someone to declare war on them! Ruin their economy with Privateers and shrug innocently while accusing the AI! Constantly cause civil disorder in their capital with spies! And when all's said and done, just team up and take over the world. I don't know why they took that out of Civ 5.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.

KKKlean Energy posted:

Holy poo poo, pubbies.

I decided to go into a random MP game to test my connection settings and decided to play it through (would be a bit of a dick move not to).

Turn 30, I steal this guy's worker, and he just exploded. He was absolutely raging about it for like 20 minutes. He even got his worker back but apparently I had somehow dealt a crippling blow from which he couldn't hope to recover. Then he quits.

No no no no. You should continue. Join more games. Piss off more people. Share your experiences.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Yeah, join pubbie games and build fast units to pillage and steal workers. Nothing else. Horsepocalypse. Vikings for extra hilarity.

E: Civ V multi strikes me as the kind of community that would be thick with unspoken gentlemen's agreements and assumed role play. "America would never enslave another civ's workers!"

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 27, 2014

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

I really really hope it is. That would be magical. :allears:

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Almost won a One City Challenge game as Ethiopia on Emperor. I was in an okish spot (not on the coast, which I don't think caused that many problems) but right at the end Washington began producing space ship parts faster than I could compete with. Didn't let the fucker have the victory though, I voted Siam in as the world leader a few turns before Washington could finish his ship.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Depends on what community. Some MP Civ groups are all about the RP, but most I've played against expect everyone to gently caress with one another at the slightest pretext.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!

KKKlean Energy posted:

Holy poo poo, pubbies.

In my experience worker-stealing is a good way to get a pubby to rage-quit, most of the time. The rest of the time, they're the host and they kick you :twisted:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Why not just suck it up and babysit your worker next time? MP ain't a nice place, even with friends. Rage quitting seems a bit severe to me., but I guess I am bad at games.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Playing with my friends has really demonstrated to me how variable people's reactions can be. In one game, one of my friends happily stole and deleted two of my settlers (super sloppy play by me obviously) and one of my workers with scouts. That same game, much later, another guy had been talking about how he had "too many" workers. I declared war on him, stole three of his workers, and he refused to end his turn and we had to kick him. :catstare:

So yeah, players range from hilariously cutthroat and daring to "gently caress this I'm playing single player :qq:", often within the same game.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It also depends on your opponent's perception of you. Do they intend to work with you in the future? Do you consider them a rival? Do you threaten one another? Are your borders in conflict? All these need to be considered.

I'll leave my workers uncovered if I've a long working relationship with someone, and you don't expect it to break down anytime soon. Otherwise, be extremely cautious, keep tabs of all units moving near your lands, and have units that can play zone defence around your vulnerabilities.

Thought occasionally, I'll leave a trap worker covered by units just out of sight, the point being to gauge my opponent's reaction. They steal it, I know they're untrustworthy and I can't work with them, ergo I must commit to counteraggression and purge them. I wouldn't do it in live MP if shift-clicks aren't houseruled out, otherwise it would be too easy to snatch a worker and double-move outta there.

And finally, some people won't take these kinds of baits, and will hide their hands and intentions until the last minute. These are the scariest kinds of players. Have fun with them!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
God dammit, stop stealing all the CS you stupid Doge!

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Hit him with a rolled up newspaper. (Made of artillery.)

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Dandolo is Italian for " please annex Venice."

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I love playing as Venice, having one or two annexed CS, being friends with everyone, and then as soon as I annex one more, it's a spiraling Denunciation chain followed by all-out war the next turn.

Then it's "release the landschnekts" :unsmigghh:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Fhqwhgads posted:

I love playing as Venice, having one or two annexed CS, being friends with everyone, and then as soon as I annex one more, it's a spiraling Denunciation chain followed by all-out war the next turn.

There aren't negative diplomatic effects for peacefully annexing city states in this game though :confused:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Gort posted:

There aren't negative diplomatic effects for peacefully annexing city states in this game though :confused:

there aren't, but there are 'getting too big' and 'getting too close' penalties.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Cleretic posted:

there aren't, but there are 'getting too big' and 'getting too close' penalties.

You're hardly going to trigger "getting too big" to any meaningful degree by peacefully taking over your fourth city, and "close borders" isn't going to trigger a huge denunciation chain followed by all out war a turn later.

I think he happened to take over his fourth city and unrelatedly got denounced and attacked later.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Played a big nine player game with friends yesterday.

I was Napoleon on the Caribbean map. Had one friend to the south of me in Tundra/Snow poo poo land, I had two prime islands all to myself with a bunch of close city states, and then a girlfriend/boyfriend combo were teaming up north of me on one huge island. I decided to go cultural, claim four cities on two islands, and quash my friend to the south just by being a big bully. Shot for a cultural victory and landed almost every major world wonder because I had huge science, production, and didn't go for the Great Library like everyone else.

About three hours into it around turn 150 we say ok we're bored, let's call it in 3 turns and award the victory to the person with the most points.

Queue 12 loving frigates, caravels, and privateers outside my capital from the boyfriend/girlfriend combo up north. My southern friend comes and helps me out with some ships, and it looks like I'll hold between my trebuchets, archers, and city barrages. Last turn, turn 150, and I fight off the invasion by killing all the caravels and privateers outside my base. Then my southern friend declares war, gets knocked out of my boundary due to open borders treaty, and sneaks a caravel in to my no health base with his last space of movement.

I drop from 750 to 430 due to all my wonders in the capital and a random dude wins our victory conditions with the highest score of 440. :suicide:

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Doltos posted:

About three hours into it around turn 150 we say ok we're bored, let's call it in 3 turns and award the victory to the person with the most points.

Queue 12 loving frigates, caravels, and privateers outside my capital from the boyfriend/girlfriend combo up north...

I wonder who started the "I'm bored" conversation. :rolleyes:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
3 turns is an awfully tight turn-around for a "let's call it by points" victory. How the hell did anyone (who wasn't top of list) agree to that?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Fhqwhgads posted:

The best part of Venice is listening to the narrator spin the Fourth Crusade into a good idea.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

dayman posted:

I wonder who started the "I'm bored" conversation. :rolleyes:

We all did, but it sprung up after the guy who eventually won conquered my friend's Venice.

KKKlean Energy posted:

3 turns is an awfully tight turn-around for a "let's call it by points" victory. How the hell did anyone (who wasn't top of list) agree to that?

It was like turn 135 when we said lets end it soon, then turn 147 popped up and I suggested let's just call it at 150. I should have known something was up when they agreed, they probably had ships sailing down to me by turn 135.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
So what's the best/funnest/most intresting start options, and what's the best way to make sure that I have late game resources by the time the become available? Every time I roll around to the Industrial era it turns out my next-door neighbor is sitting on a ton of coal they can't even utilize and I declare war on them and I can't try to steal one of their cities because they like me and also I suck at war.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Any start with multiple Salt is worth considering because it is a luxury that gives food bonus. On top of that, it can become a source of fpt as a pantheon belief.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It's not just a luxury that gives food bonus, it's a luxury that gives +2 food when improved, on top of normal mine bonuses. Salt is freakin' bananas (moreso than bananas are.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I hate bananas because the second I turn on automated workers they b-line there and chop down my loving jungle.

• Locked thread