Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Are the respec thingies at all common later? 24 faith to use the lightning spear miracle when I've only got ten at level 50 is gonna take a while :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

omg chael crash posted:

The Pursuer kicks my rear end every time I even look at him, I'm so frustrated. He even kicked my rear end when I had two phantoms helping me.

Only ever go for one attack, and if you take a hit, look for an opening to use a Flask instead. Just dodge for awhile to get the hang of it- it gets easier once he's destroyed all of the ballistae.

Oh! And small detail on his three-swings attack, he will keep aiming towards you and moving towards you, so don't just dodge to the side or you'll get hit. Keep your distance.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

FirstPersonShitter posted:

word, I really like the claymore moveset, will I regret upgrading it past +6 and using titanite chunks, ie is there a way better greatsword?
I don't know, but I really like the bastard sword moveset, so give that a whirl too. I'm planning on checking out the claymore when I can.

Also, getting chunks are easy: join the Bellkeepers. Right now I'm struggling to find basic titanite shards and large shards.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

bonerstorm posted:

"try ranged combat"

Why even bother playing if I'm going to trivialize the entire game with sorcery? Didn't use it in Dark Souls on my first playthrough for the same reason. Its fun, but it saps so much challenge out of the game.

VVV I use pyromancy for utility but I'm gonna assume the giant flaming metal demon doesn't care much about it. Flash sweat reduces the heat damage by a lot though.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 28, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
^^^^ Not using sorcery I can totally understand, but if you're a pure warrior without any magic, you should use a bow once in awhile.

That said, even though I had magic I didn't really use it against Smelter. He's not that bad! Pursuer version 3 is way harder. Just get better at dodging, scrubs. :smuggo:

Ciaphas posted:

Are the respec thingies at all common later? 24 faith to use the lightning spear miracle when I've only got ten at level 50 is gonna take a while :(

You get like 3-4 per run through the game. Which is plenty.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 28, 2014

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

word, I really like the claymore moveset, will I regret upgrading it past +6 and using titanite chunks, ie is there a way better greatsword?

You will regret nothing. Claymore has fantastic damage, great range, and a moveset that facilitates use in both wide open areas and narrow hallways. It's also a magnificent bastard in PvP. Chunks are easy to come by anyhow.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

I don't know, but I really like the bastard sword moveset, so give that a whirl too. I'm planning on checking out the claymore when I can.

Also, getting chunks are easy: join the Bellkeepers. Right now I'm struggling to find basic titanite shards and large shards.

Eventually the ore seller can sell an infinite number of everything but slabs, I believe. You have to complete certain areas for it, she currently sells me infinite basic titanite shards. Chunks don't come until it doesn't matter anymore so becoming a bellboy is still better for that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

There's a lot of fun greatswords, I liked the curved one with bleed, forget the name. Mastodon Greatsword is also really good, and the Dark Knight Greatsword is loving amazing.

But yeah Claymore or even Bastard Sword is a great weapon, you won't regret putting titanite into it.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Holy poo poo, Shrine of Amana is awful. :stare:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

Eventually the ore seller can sell an infinite number of everything but slabs, I believe. You have to complete certain areas for it, she currently sells me infinite basic titanite shards. Chunks don't come until it doesn't matter anymore so becoming a bellboy is still better for that.
I haven't even found an ore seller yet, so I'm hoping that comes in a bit. :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I thought it was pretty cool?

Care to give a reason?

I swear most of you goons would think Anor Londo was awful :colbert:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Try ranged battle, by the way tight spot ahead

If you bow or salute to me when invading in any form, I will run up to your rear end and hurricane spear you to death. gently caress your honor, prepare to die. :unsmigghh: Also, you can dodge out of gestures now. Most invaders don't know this. :darksouls:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

The Shrine looks awesome, in my opinion.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Cheston posted:

Only ever go for one attack, and if you take a hit, look for an opening to use a Flask instead. Just dodge for awhile to get the hang of it- it gets easier once he's destroyed all of the ballistae.

Oh! And small detail on his three-swings attack, he will keep aiming towards you and moving towards you, so don't just dodge to the side or you'll get hit. Keep your distance.

I loved when I teamed up with someone and while I was dodging and chipping off The Pursuer's health, the other player managed to get behind a ballistae and nailed the bastard right in the face. Think it took like one third of his health or so.

How's this build?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=254276941

I really don't know what I'm doing, but I liked the basic longsword so much I put it at +6 (Feels like it packs a pretty good punch without draining all of my stamina), but the problem is that when I already got a weapon to +6 I feel less tempted to experiment with other weapons. I also swap out with a Varangian Sword+3 because the durability of weapons seem to be much less than in DS1.

Saw someone saying that not adding some spells is making things harder for yourself - is magic or miracles the better way to go? (Though it might be hard to refocus since I've already leveled up quite a bit already)

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

I died more in the area after the second bonfire than anywhere else in the game combined so far. I eventually just started sniping ladies with arrows but goddamn. At least the boss was fun as hell.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

DelphiAegis posted:

Try ranged battle, by the way tight spot ahead

Ran out of arrows. :saddowns:

Thankfully, Gavlan can deal.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DelphiAegis posted:

Most invaders don't know this. :darksouls:

Most invaders don't know about chameleon yet :getin:

Propaganda Hour posted:

I died more in the area after the second bonfire than anywhere else in the game combined so far. I eventually just started sniping ladies with arrows but goddamn. At least the boss was fun as hell.

Try rolling.

You can seriously just roll from one wizard to the next, slashing through them all. Its not that bad. They even patched it to make it easier, and that poo poo wasn't that bad to start with. Just roll! Roll all day erryday.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Ran out of arrows. :saddowns:

Thankfully, Gavlan can deal.

The blacksmith in Majula sells unlimited wood arrows for pretty cheap.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
What's this Amana stuff? I believe you people are talking about Shrine of Anime. :colbert:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Internet Kraken posted:

Why even bother playing if I'm going to trivialize the entire game with sorcery? Didn't use it in Dark Souls on my first playthrough for the same reason. Its fun, but it saps so much challenge out of the game.

VVV I use pyromancy for utility but I'm gonna assume the giant flaming metal demon doesn't care much about it. Flash sweat reduces the heat damage by a lot though.

Just run up and loving smack em in the face. That zone is great as those enemies pose next to no threat. What weapon are you using? Also, lure the guys on the bridge out and they will give chase. The first archer can be dealt with easily by running straight to him (this is the left path coming in). The other can easily be dodged by hiding by the poles and just running to him.

I was a melee build on the PS3 using some crafting hammer with lightning infusion. It loving wrecks those idiots and makes that area great for farming as they drop a ton of souls for no work.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone know if using GeDoSaTo counts as a VAC offense now that Dark Souls 2 is VAC protected? It does .dll hooking whihc has been a ban reason before on other VAC protected games.

I've been using it all day today while playing DS2 and I'm kind of worried about my steam account that's probably worth at least 10000 bux right now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Most invaders don't know about chameleon yet :getin:

Try rolling.

You can seriously just roll from one wizard to the next, slashing through them all. Its not that bad. They even patched it to make it easier, and that poo poo wasn't that bad to start with. Just roll! Roll all day erryday.

The mages can shoot you literally the second they're within draw distance and the shots used to aggressively home. I've been hit while trying to get (endgame loot spoiler)Vendrick's gear before. And, no, not by the one right by the path that leads to that area. The one by the troll. It's manageable, but so's the dragonslayer bow Silver Knights part in Anor Londo and the Capra Demon boss fight, and they're still awful.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

sighnoceros posted:

If you preordered on Steam, check your steamapps/common/Dark Souls II folder. There should be a Digital Extras or something folder with the files inside.

Yup, found it. Thanks a lot -- may be a good idea to add this to the OP, because it's not spelled out anywhere that I'm aware of.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Does anyone know if using GeDoSaTo counts as a VAC offense now that Dark Souls 2 is VAC protected? It does .dll hooking whihc has been a ban reason before on other VAC protected games.

I've been using it all day today while playing DS2 and I'm kind of worried about my steam account that's probably worth at least 10000 bux right now.

Noone knows yet, because of VAC's delayed ban system. I wouldn't use it until people still aren't banned a couple months from now, or Namco comes out and says it's fine to use.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

You start the game with an item that basically says "returns you to online play". I forget the name because I've never used it, but I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that's what its for.

That is actually an one-time use item that lets you evade the online play ban you get if you disconnect while you're getting invaded too often.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
You can juke the magic in amana by slowly walking left and then right. If you want bullshit homing magic try the white mages in tseldora. Their poo poo can loving pull 360's through doors.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

The Joe Man posted:

So The Cracked Blue Eye Orb is useless, right? I'm all sentineled up and it never, ever finds anyone.

Anyone else who's in this covenant know of a decent place to search for sinners? Is there a level cap/restriction on finding someone?

I've hit someone a grand total of one time with a cracked blue eye orb and I've put like 20 hours into the game. Apparently they actually work in NG+, but I haven't got there yet.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dezztroy posted:

Noone knows yet, because of VAC's delayed ban system. I wouldn't use it until either people show up with bans, or Namco says something about it.

Yeah, I'm definitely not gonna use it anymore until they clarify the details about it but like I said, I already been using it all day before getting to know that the last patch introduced VAC.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

The mages can shoot you literally the second they're within draw distance and the shots used to aggressively home. I've been hit while trying to get (endgame loot spoiler)Vendrick's gear before. And, no, not by the one right by the path that leads to that area. The one by the troll. It's manageable, but so's the dragonslayer bow Silver Knights part in Anor Londo and the Capra Demon boss fight, and they're still awful.

Yeah and even when they used to home, you could dodge them easily. I dodged my way through the whole zone.

Its the same magic missile spell people used against you in Dark Souls 1 PvP. If you've ever PvP'd against somebody using magic then you know what to do.

All you had to do was time your roll and you could seriously just walk up and slash each wizard. I swear, I did it, super easy, before the patch. Took me all of 3 deaths to clear Shrine of Anime.

Now its even easier with the patch.

Don't understand all the problems people are having. Roll! That's it. Just practice your rolls.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

You can juke the magic in amana by slowly walking left and then right. If you want bullshit homing magic try the white mages in tseldora. Their poo poo can loving pull 360's through doors.

Yeah, the necromancers in Tseldora are ASSHOLES. They're infinitely worse than the wizards of Amana.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 28, 2014

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat

I got about 100k souls here just dropping sunbro signs at the second bonfire. Was getting called up before I could even finish writing the sign down. Had a decent success/drowning ratio even. Made it way easier when I finally ran it for myself.

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

ymgve posted:

I loved when I teamed up with someone and while I was dodging and chipping off The Pursuer's health, the other player managed to get behind a ballistae and nailed the bastard right in the face. Think it took like one third of his health or so.

How's this build?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=254276941

I really don't know what I'm doing, but I liked the basic longsword so much I put it at +6 (Feels like it packs a pretty good punch without draining all of my stamina), but the problem is that when I already got a weapon to +6 I feel less tempted to experiment with other weapons. I also swap out with a Varangian Sword+3 because the durability of weapons seem to be much less than in DS1.

Saw someone saying that not adding some spells is making things harder for yourself - is magic or miracles the better way to go? (Though it might be hard to refocus since I've already leveled up quite a bit already)

Raise you adaptability, it makes it so much easier to dodge. Plus you'll gain poise until it matches your endurance.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Can you get any leggings with sandals like the Hollow Soldier's Waistcloth in the original?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Try rolling.

Rushing to the wizards means getting gangbanged by lurkers.

Killed every caster and cleric on the way to the fog door, promptly edged off a cliff and drowned.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bloodmobile posted:

That is actually an one-time use item that lets you evade the online play ban you get if you disconnect while you're getting invaded too often.

Ah poo poo you're right.

Rushing to the wizards means getting gangbanged by lurkers.

Killed every caster and cleric on the way to the fog door, promptly edged off a cliff and drowned.

Yeah but those guys are chumps. Its the wizards that give people trouble.

Falling off does suck though, but as much as falling off in Gutter or anywhere else. You should only die to that like once or twice before you learn to watch for the edge.

It should be marked with like algae or something though ideally.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 28, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
FINALLY beat the Smelter demon after 10 or so tries. Getting to him is obnoxious but he might be one of my favorite boss fights in the whole series. He's just so much fun to fight, not entirely sure why though. It was tense as hell. There were several times where I got him down to like 1/4 health only to screw up, but I wasn't really mad since it didn't feel cheap or anything. He seemed to have a ton of health but maybe this is just my build screwing me up again because he resist pierce damage or something.

I don't get why people hate this fight. The fire gimmick isn't a big deal at all if you buff yourself with fire resistance, which isn't exactly hard to get. Even if you can't use pyromancy you could just put on a flame ring or eat some orange burrs.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Zaphod42 posted:

You get like 3-4 per run through the game. Which is plenty.

Late-ish game there is a method to farm an infinite number of them. There is a bonfire where you can pop an ascetic and run through the zone to collect 2 ascetics (making it an infinite farm as long as you can handle NG+8 things), a soul vessel and a few other useful things.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Did you use flash sweat? If so, most people dont and that is why the fight is hard. Even with a Grym shield or those resistances - he can and will gently caress you up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

^^^ Also eating the fire berries or wahtever, the fuzzle thing helps your fire resist.

Internet Kraken posted:

FINALLY beat the Smelter demon after 10 or so tries. Getting to him is obnoxious but he might be one of my favorite boss fights in the whole series. He's just so much fun to fight, not entirely sure why though. It was tense as hell. There were several times where I got him down to like 1/4 health only to screw up, but I wasn't really mad since it didn't feel cheap or anything. He seemed to have a ton of health but maybe this is just my build screwing me up again because he resist pierce damage or something.

I don't get why people hate this fight. The fire gimmick isn't a big deal at all if you buff yourself with fire resistance, which isn't exactly hard to get. Even if you can't use pyromancy you could just put on a flame ring or eat some orange burrs.

If you thought that fight was fun and challenging (oh yeah it was) make sure you go forward, hit the bonfire, and then turn around and go back to the boss room

Good luck, because you're not allowed to co-op this fight! But its entirely optional.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

You start the game with an item that basically says "returns you to online play". I forget the name because I've never used it, but I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that's what its for.

Read descriptions!

Perhaps you should read the descriptions : Bone of Order - Restores the link to other worlds. Used to reset a penalty for cutting the internet connection during an invasion. :smug:

I did try it, but it just said "unable to use item at the time". Luckily the effect of the effigy seemed to go away. I'll gladly take some help to get to the chariot at Huntsman's, those drat giants keep piling on me, no matter how careful I try to be. And then there's the red guy. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah and even when they used to home, you could dodge them easily. I dodged my way through the whole zone.

Its the same magic missile spell people used against you in Dark Souls 1 PvP. If you've ever PvP'd against somebody using magic then you know what to do.

All you had to do was time your roll and you could seriously just walk up and slash each wizard. I swear, I did it, super easy, before the patch. Took me all of 3 deaths to clear Shrine of Anime.

Now its even easier with the patch.

Don't understand all the problems people are having. Roll! That's it. Just practice your rolls.

Yeah, the necromancers in Tseldora are ASSHOLES. They're infinitely worse than the wizards of Amana.

:ssh: A lot of people don't enjoy PVP so avoid it if possible. And it's kind of hard to dodge something that you can barely see the source of to know there's something that needs dodging, as well as dealing with a bunch of hard hitting melee enemies and hard to see drops. The fact that FROM put in an NPC summon in that area, instead of near the boss, suggests they already knew it was an issue. So they make the NPC dumber than Lucatiel, and melee-only.

And funnily enough, I never had much issue in Tseldora. There's enough geometry there that you rarely get shot at by more than one, and the area's small enough that if you're being shot at, you're probably close enough to kill him.