Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

My First round of spinach started bolting so I harvested it all. On the bottommost leaves I found a bunch of things similar to this:

I don't know who you are nameless wasp/bug but I like your style. Keep fighting the good (parasitic) fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
:dance: 2" of snow on the ground and still falling this AM :dance:

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Fog Tripper posted:

:dance: 2" of snow on the ground and still falling this AM :dance:

Yikes.

We've just started a week+ of rain, which will keep me out of my garden for the foreseeable future, but I guess it could be worse.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Hooray, I was hoping there was this kind of thread! A week ago I started setting up an...atypical garden--I live on a boat in DC, so I've set up windowboxes on the deck.

So far I've just got tarragon and cilantro going--one for one of my favorite recipes, the other for another--and once I get the kayak brace built (another DIY project entirely) the space freed up by moving the kayak will let me set up more.

I've got an imgur gallery I've been uploading to. I'm thinking every monday I'll take pics to keep track of how they do.

edit: The roses I got at Trader Joe's because I'd never seen orange roses before.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Peristalsis posted:

Yikes.

We've just started a week+ of rain, which will keep me out of my garden for the foreseeable future, but I guess it could be worse.

Same here. I was at the flea market this weekend and caved when I saw someone selling little tomato plants 4 for a dollar. I grabbed some of those and will be starting them inside the best I can until the moonsoon season is over.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Hummingbirds posted:

My pepper plants are wilting during the day even though they have plenty of water. I'm guessing its just because it's so drat hot. Should I move them out of the sun halfway through the day or something (they're in containers)? I don't remember having this problem in years past but it might be because they're still young plants and aren't very robust yet.

Can you rig up some shade cloth? That might be easier than moving them every day. I think people in the very warm, sunny climates tend to plant peppers closer together so that they shade each other and prevent the fruit from getting sunburned. In the cooler climate here we plant them farther apart to improve airflow and maximize sunlight on leaves.

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.
This is my second year gardening, the first we've had more than just cherry tomatoes in a pot. We were lucky enough to get involved in a neighborhood improvement project and ended up with a free 4x8 raised bed, assembled and installed. This weekend I went plant shopping and got a whole bunch of good veggies in the ground. We have zucchini, squash, mint, yellow peppers, orange sweet peppers, jalepenos, watermelons, strawberries, cabbage, lettuce, broccoli and tomatoes. There are still about 3 square feet of space left, my mother-in-law has a bunch of heirloom tomatoes and some more squash starts to bring us next time she visits.

We had tornadoes last night (Woooo Arkansas!) but the garden looks fine and it shouldn't freeze again. I'm really, REALLY looking forward to this. We also put various flowers around the yard to attract insects; our house came with 8 assorted rose bushes and a few flowering bushes. I also got a few citronella plants for the corners of the patio.

Pictures later, I just discovered this thread at work.

:)

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
That sounds like an awful lot to fit in one 4x8 bed.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Cpt.Wacky posted:

That sounds like an awful lot to fit in one 4x8 bed.

I have two 4x4 beds and my selection is pretty similar. If you only have 2-3 plants of each they fit okay, especially if you manage the vines well.

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.
Yes, we have a trellis for the squash and zucchini to climb, and plan on transplanting the strawberries when they're bigger so my daughter can grow pumpkins in late summer/fall. And there are only 2-3 plants of each thing, this is just a starter garden.

So my dog seems to have eaten the top part of the orange pepper plant - will it still grow, or should I replace it? All that's left is about 2" of stem sticking up out of the soil.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Well, I got my soil test back!

General

Re-test soil every 2 years.

Soil pH Adjustment
Soil pH is low. Apply 18 pounds of lime per 100 square feet and be sure to incorporate the lime into the upper 6" of soil. See information sheet or go to https://www.gardening.cornell.edu/soil/MVG for more information.

Nitrogen (N)
You will need a total of about 3.5 ounces of nitrogen for every 100 square feet of garden for the entire year. Soil organic matter content will help lower this amount by providing nitrogen. It's best however, to apply this amount throughout the growing season. See information sheet or go to https://www.gardening.cornell.edu/soil/MVG for more information on calculating rate per application and suggested timing.

Phosphorus (P)
Soil P level is high. Broadcast about 1.5 ounces of phosphate (P2O5) per 100 square feet prior to planting and work into the upper 2-4" of soil. Apply a starter solution high in P when setting transplants.

See information sheet or go to https://www.gardening.cornell.edu/soil/MVG for more information.

Potassium (K)
Soil K level is very high so no additional K is needed. See information sheet or go to https://www.gardening.cornell.edu/soil/MVG for more information.
For more information go to https://www.gardening.cornell.edu/soil/MVG or http://gardening.cornell.edu/soil/salt.

LABORATORY RESULTS
(Modified Morgan Analysis)

Your soil has:
Soil pH: 5.5 (Low)
Phosphorus (P): 15 lbs/Acre (High)
Potassium (K): 301 lbs/Acre (Very High)
Organic Matter: 8.1 %
Soluble Salts: < 0.8 mmhos/cm

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Cimber posted:

Phosphorus (P)
Soil P level is high. Broadcast about 1.5 ounces of phosphate (P2O5) per 100 square feet prior to planting and work into the upper 2-4" of soil. Apply a starter solution high in P when setting transplants.

Huh? If your P is high, why are they instructing you to add P?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

RadioPassive posted:

Huh? If your P is high, why are they instructing you to add P?

Well, the linked document also says to add a minor amount of P during planting, to encourage root growth.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
What's up gardening thread? For the last two years I have neglected our garden and fruit trees so I am hoping by posting here, I won't let that happen again. It's going to be nice this week (50's and raining to sunny and 80's) here in Oregon and I'm hoping to get my soil prepped. I already tilled in the cover I put down in the fall last week and cleaned out our raised beds. I've decided to put up a real fence around the garden due to the local wild life. I have just over a 1.7 acer lot to "farm". If our well had a higher output, I would till a larger area, but I am concerned that it's loosing the ability to regenerate, so for now this is all I want to try for. We will probably need a new well drilled in the next five years.

Here's what I am starting with. The berries have been removed and we are starting fresh. New rows (posts/wires)will be put in soon. (Photos from last year.)

The veggies planned:
Sweet corn (two rows)
Potatoes (two rows)
Walla Walla onions (1 row)
Tomatoes, peppers, peas, and carrots
Cucumber (pickling/burp-less), yellow squash, and zucchini
Pumpkins and mini water melon
Strawberries and herbs

Fruit trees:
Black Cherry (established)
Bartlet pear (established)
Unknown apple (established)
Asian pear (established)
Plum, peach, and nectarine planted last fall
Another cherry, peach, and plum are waiting to be planted. I need to make some trunk protectors from split PVC pipe due to small animals.
I have not sprayed this year and it's too late. Everything has bloomed, so I will have to mark my calendar for next year. Has anyone used ash from a wood stove or chips from trees/branches around their fruit trees?

Berries:
Marionberry
Raspberries
Boysenberry
Blueberries

It's going to be a busy next couple of weeks.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Wind killed my tomatillos this past weekend. Everything else survived though, and everything except my Malabar spinach has sprouted. It's supposed to take at least two weeks so I'm not worried that birds ate all the seeds yet.

I'm debating buying more plants or waiting on the slow growing ones in my germ rig to get bigger.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

appleskates posted:

So my dog seems to have eaten the top part of the orange pepper plant - will it still grow, or should I replace it? All that's left is about 2" of stem sticking up out of the soil.
No leaves? It's dead.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

No leaves? It's dead.

Nah, it could come back, but it'll take a lot longer than if you just started over.

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Can you rig up some shade cloth? That might be easier than moving them every day. I think people in the very warm, sunny climates tend to plant peppers closer together so that they shade each other and prevent the fruit from getting sunburned. In the cooler climate here we plant them farther apart to improve airflow and maximize sunlight on leaves.

Thanks, I can probably rig up a thing. They're relatively close together, and I'm sure they'll be fine once they grow a bit more, just wanna help 'em out while they're still babyplants.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
At first I thought it was wind/sun damage from last week, but it seems to be a bit more wide spread.

Does this look like more than wind damage to anyone else?

Crunkenstein
Nov 4, 2009

TheBigBad posted:

At first I thought it was wind/sun damage from last week, but it seems to be a bit more wide spread.

Does this look like more than wind damage to anyone else?

This is my first year starting everything I grow from seed, and I have some similar coloration on some of my Johnny Jump-Up leaves after putting them outside. I chalked it up to sun scald, as I didn't harden them off at all and they get a lot of sun exposure on my back porch.

My last frost date is tomorrow and I'm bummed since we're supposed to receive rain for the next several days. My dining room is doubling as a nursery right now and I'm running out of room.

Crunkenstein fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 28, 2014

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Crunkenstein posted:

This is my first year starting everything I grow from seed, and I have some similar coloration on some of my Johnny Jump-Up leaves after putting them out on a windy, cold night. I didn't harden them off at all so I'm also curious if this is caused by some specific environmental stressor or something else. I don't want the same thing to happen to my veggies!

My last frost date is tomorrow and I'm bummed since we're supposed to receive rain for the next several days. My dining room is doubling as a nursery right now and I'm running out of room.

Can I steal that pic for the YOSPOS cat thread? It's hilarious!

Crunkenstein
Nov 4, 2009

SpannerX posted:

Can I steal that pic for the YOSPOS cat thread? It's hilarious!

Who am I to deny the Internet of more cat pics? Feel free!

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Crunkenstein posted:

Who am I to deny the Internet of more cat pics? Feel free!

Thanks!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

It is pretty funny how the Cherokee purple tomato is all about growing straight and the Black Krim is just completely pissed off about it.

Also my cayenne pepper is already setting multiple peppers. I have a feeling it is going to be very productive.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
Today I finished putting in poles, staked down twine, expanded my drip irrigation, and pulled "a shiteload" of weeds.

Raised 3 poles and staked down twine for beans, cucumbers, tomatoes and peas to climb.

Greasy grits beans climbing away, because honestly how could you not plant something called "greasy grits." Russian and Lacinato kales closer to the pole, to be shaded by the beans.

Small thicket of outredgeous lettuce, turnips and tatsoi. I had daikon radish in there too, but I cut all the tops off and left the radishes to compost in the soil. Thick clay over here that needs to be broken up.

The carrot forest

Volunteer sunflower that's huge already

Still to do:
- Finish running drip irrigation to the grapes and snowbell trees.
- Get "a fuckin buncha" plants into the ground
- Pull way more weeds than is reasonable

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Has anyone grown hops before?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TheMightyHandful posted:

Has anyone grown hops before?

Hells yeah.

That's a second year Cascade rhizome as of today.

I'm no expert, but what do you want to know?

(I have 4 of those and 3 Nugget, all second year)

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I don't need a lot of yield, so I started a few container veggie gardens for my salads this summer.

The tomato is a sunsugar, and have since put a cage around it. I planted some red coreless Chantenay carrot seeds in with the tomato. Not sure if it'll work out in such a small pot, but I figured it was worth a shot.

In the middle I have a pot 'o various strawberries. I wasn't sure which to get so I went with several different kinds. Rainier, Tristar, Benton, and something else I think.

On the right is saladbowl lettuce. I planted some nasturtiums in the lettuce container along with other places in my garden. I also have a bunch of oxalis growing off camera that I had no idea was edible. It's tangy and kind of citrusy; I like it.

I got those 4 lettuce plants at the local nursery, Carpinito Bros, for $1.24 ($.31 ea) for all of them. I stopped at Fred Meyer later and noticed they wanted $1.99 for a single plant. That's 6.5x more expensive at the big box store. My seeds and potting soil are all local within 10 miles, and so much cheaper than buying at a chain. Buy local!

I have room for one more pot. I'm thinking asparagus. Do you think I'll have any luck, and what variety should I go for?

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Lacrosse posted:

I have room for one more pot. I'm thinking asparagus. Do you think I'll have any luck, and what variety should I go for?

Asparagus takes several years to be established enough to pick. I understand that it's also not good at being transplanted, so if you ever moved it into the ground, it might not go well. I don't know if asparagus is considered a good option for container gardening, but I suspect it's not a common choice for it.

Also, have you considered growing some pole beans on that fencing behind the pots (assuming it's tall enough)?

Peristalsis fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 29, 2014

DuckTalesWooHoo
Mar 27, 2013

Lacrosse posted:

stuff in pots

You may want to be more generous with your pot size. As an example, a tomato planted in a 5 gallon bucket will be completely rootbound by the end of the growing season.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

DuckTalesWooHoo posted:

You may want to be more generous with your pot size. As an example, a tomato planted in a 5 gallon bucket will be completely rootbound by the end of the growing season.

I'll get a 5 gallon bucket or something close to it for it soon and use that pot for something else then. Suggestions? I don't really use a lot of herbs, but I guess I could grow some catnip or mint or something.

Peristalsis posted:

Also, have you considered growing some pole beans on that fencing behind the pots (assuming it's tall enough)?

No, but that's not a bad idea for the extra pot I'm going to have very soon. That fencing is about 4.5 feet high, is that enough? I also have an entire backyard full of 3' tall chainlink I wanted to grow some hummingbird-attracting vines on.

I don't really like green beans very much, so I might like bush beans better? I like kidney beans, chickpeas, stuff like that.

Lacrosse fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 29, 2014

DuckTalesWooHoo
Mar 27, 2013

Lacrosse posted:

I'll get a 5 gallon bucket or something close to it for it soon and use that pot for something else then. Suggestions? I don't really use a lot of herbs, but I guess I could grow some catnip or mint or something.

Mint's a great option for that (or any) size pot, and honestly you'll use more when you realize the joy of plunking fresh mint into lemonade or tea :3: . It's also massively hard to kill, even when trying.

Other than that? Fresh basil on-hand is wonderful for tossing in pasta or (should you happen to grow enough) pesto.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Speaking of mint...I bought some at the grocery store about two weeks ago to make mojitos and then forgot about it and it dried up in the fridge. I was pissed off that I didn't even get to try it, so I stuck the best looking sprigs into some water and hoped they'd perk up. Nothing happened quickly so I left it and went on a trip for five days.

I come back and find this (after picking off the dead leaves):

One of the stems even has little roots (about 1/4" long so far) forming on the end of it! I am usually terrible at gardening and every plant I've owned has died. This seems like a good sign though. What should I do next to keep this mint growing and turn it into a continuous supply of the stuff?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Stick it in the ground and forget about it because mint is a cold bitch who you'll never get out of your house once shes settled.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Motronic posted:

Hells yeah.

That's a second year Cascade rhizome as of today.

I'm no expert, but what do you want to know?

(I have 4 of those and 3 Nugget, all second year)

How do they smell when growing? I like the smell of hops when I homebrew, so i can imagine growing them would smell nice.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Fart Car '97 posted:

Stick it in the ground and forget about it because mint is a cold bitch who you'll never get out of your house once shes settled.

What they are saying is be sure to put that poo poo in a pot lest you want it to rule your yard.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

We're actually planting mint in our garden this year with the hopes of controlling its spread because it's a natural rodent deterrent :eng101:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sagebrush posted:

Speaking of mint...I bought some at the grocery store about two weeks ago to make mojitos and then forgot about it and it dried up in the fridge. I was pissed off that I didn't even get to try it, so I stuck the best looking sprigs into some water and hoped they'd perk up. Nothing happened quickly so I left it and went on a trip for five days.

I come back and find this (after picking off the dead leaves):

One of the stems even has little roots (about 1/4" long so far) forming on the end of it! I am usually terrible at gardening and every plant I've owned has died. This seems like a good sign though. What should I do next to keep this mint growing and turn it into a continuous supply of the stuff?

This is a wonderful illustration of why mint is drat impossible to get rid of once it is in your yard. Imagine this x1000 for each sprig of it growing and you get a good idea of why everyone warns against planting it in the ground.

Fart Car '97 posted:

We're actually planting mint in our garden this year with the hopes of controlling its spread because it's a natural rodent deterrent :eng101:

:stare:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Yeah that's right :madmax:

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

This is a wonderful illustration of why mint is drat impossible to get rid of once it is in your yard. Imagine this x1000 for each sprig of it growing and you get a good idea of why everyone warns against planting it in the ground.

:stare:

I just planted like 100 mint plant all over, but I like mint tea and 'they'say it is good against Peach Leaf Curl also.
We will see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I should take another picture of my mint garden started by 3 mint plants again this year when it gets big.