Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:

bonds0097 posted:

Aside from the fact that 'MVC' is somewhat different in any given framework (i.e. Django doesn't really even have the concept of controllers, you just have a URL router to views which are kind of like controllers), your diagram isn't an example of MVC. In your diagram, what is the controller? A data access later is not a model, though it or some kind of ORM will likely be the intermediary between a model and the datastore. All your diagram illustrates is the general idea of abstraction.

I will now hush since I'm just confident enough to act instead of hesitate but still don't know poo poo.

Also for those who care I've got a soft offer; I've been selected but basically "An Important Person left for the day early. Let you know monday."

:q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I'm a babby freshman CS major! I'm not getting an internship this summer in favor of getting more summer classes done, but I'd like to start doing personal projects. I'm not quite sure how to get started with that since most people around here's personal project seems to be coding games which honestly I'm not too interested in. Luckily I have helped with a project for a professor already but apart from that I've been concentrating on classes.

How can I get ideas for these things? I liked my project which was documenting/editing down code that controls a 3d printer, but it's not like I can get a printer of my own to mess with.

The Laplace Demon
Jul 23, 2009

"Oh dear! Oh dear! Heisenberg is a douche!"

Xun posted:

I'm a babby freshman CS major! I'm not getting an internship this summer in favor of getting more summer classes done, but I'd like to start doing personal projects. I'm not quite sure how to get started with that since most people around here's personal project seems to be coding games which honestly I'm not too interested in. Luckily I have helped with a project for a professor already but apart from that I've been concentrating on classes.

How can I get ideas for these things? I liked my project which was documenting/editing down code that controls a 3d printer, but it's not like I can get a printer of my own to mess with.

RepRaps are pretty cheap and easy to build if you already have access to a 3D printer. If your interests lie that way, maybe look into that. They can be good for getting into embedded programming.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Xun posted:

An internship is going to be a huge boon that will help bootstrap you into a sophomore internship and hopefully a job when you graduate, so don't underestimate that.

That said, what did you like about the 3D printer stuff? If graphics interest you at all, you could look into writing a raytracer. If image-related work appeals to you, look into OpenCV and maybe come up with a cool image-processing project that is relevant to you (parsing scantrons for instance could be fun). If you like interfacing with a real machine, you could spend a few bucks on an arduino or a raspberry pi and write some code there. I have some friends that have had a lot of fun figuring out how to control their heating/cooling via a raspberry pi and setting up an android/ios app interface. That would certainly give you a lot to talk about at interviews.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I really wish I had done some internships. I have less experience than some of the interns I'm now looking after, and they're absolutely terrible, yet still getting hired straight out of school. That would have saved a lot of headaches.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
Getting an internship as soon as possible is probably the most important thing you can do while in college (other than not failing all your classes). Even if it's some dumb internship as a Freshman (which is sometimes all you can get), it puts you miles ahead of your fellow competing sophomores the following year because you can go up to an employer and talk about real things, which is rare and awesome. I hate being at a career fair and having someone come up to me with no experience on their resume and then they kind of just stand there because they have nothing to talk about.

Admittedly, as a sophomore/freshman, options are limited to some extent but if you're enthusiastic and act like a give a poo poo, some companies will give you a chance. The CIA certainly doesn't mind hiring freshman interns. Microsoft does too. I'm sure there's plenty more that are worth your while.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I know a girl who did an internship at Amazon her freshman year (and then again her sophomore year, then Facebook her junior year). But she might've been able to do that because she was going to UW (same city as Amazon).

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Xun posted:

bonds is spot on. "Scratch your own itch." Think of it as what project will keep you interested beyond the first shoddy demo. When the big pieces are in place, what end goal is so desirable for you that you'll trudge through the edge cases and polishing?

Urit
Oct 22, 2010
I need some interview advice. I recently got feedback from a recruiter that it was "too honest" to say, and this is verbatim what I said:

Them: "Why are you looking for a new job?"
Me: "I like the technical work I'm doing with <My Current Company> but I don't get on very well with the people - there's a very large generation gap between me and the other people in my department, and that coupled with a very hands-off management style and siloed departments makes me feel isolated there."

It's the honest truth, but I need a better way to corporate-speak it, I guess.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Urit posted:

I need some interview advice. I recently got feedback from a recruiter that it was "too honest" to say, and this is verbatim what I said:

Me: "I like the technical work I'm doing with <My Current Company> but I don't get on very well with the people - there's a very large generation gap between me and the other people in my department, and that coupled with a very hands-off management style and siloed departments makes me feel isolated there."

"i'm looking for a development organization that's more up to date with modern agile programming practices"

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Urit posted:

Rephrase your answer to be what you'd prefer in a job, not what your last job was bad at. Also be positive, and deflect if you can't say anything positive.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Hey Jobs thread.

Just got an offer from a really cool place that I am very excited to go to work for. Thanks for all the help on my resume and so forth. I don't think I would've kept applying for jobs for so long if it weren't for all the encouragement I got from this thread. I am going to be an official bad programmer now!!

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I just got an offer from the place I was waiting for, too! (subject to references)

I'm pretty stoked, I'd also like to say thanks to the people who checked my CV and helped me out with the odd piece of advice in this thread.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

Hey Jobs thread.

Just got an offer from a really cool place that I am very excited to go to work for. Thanks for all the help on my resume and so forth. I don't think I would've kept applying for jobs for so long if it weren't for all the encouragement I got from this thread. I am going to be an official bad programmer now!!

Hammerite posted:

I just got an offer from the place I was waiting for, too! (subject to references)

I'm pretty stoked, I'd also like to say thanks to the people who checked my CV and helped me out with the odd piece of advice in this thread.

Congratulations dudes!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Just realised I had an old address on my CV and that's why I kept getting contacted about positions there instead of the London based ones which I was actually applying for.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 28, 2014

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
Well I drove 4 hours for a job interview last week. Ended up interviewing with 3 different people over two days. All of them gave me the go ahead and said they would send an offer letter out. This morning they emailed me to ask if I could come in for an interview with the VP in two days (they aren't paying any travel expense.) gently caress.

I set up a phone interview instead, which I would really rather not do. I'd prefer to meet in person. But now I have to worry about this until Wednesday again and I have to rely on a phone interview to impress someone. This sucks.

E: Any tips for interviewing with a higher-up in a company after I've already interviewed with my direct supervisors? They all told me that they're ready to take me on board, but now I guess the VP wants to see for himself.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Tots posted:

Well I drove 4 hours for a job interview last week. Ended up interviewing with 3 different people over two days. All of them gave me the go ahead and said they would send an offer letter out. This morning they emailed me to ask if I could come in for an interview with the VP in two days (they aren't paying any travel expense.) gently caress.

I set up a phone interview instead, which I would really rather not do. I'd prefer to meet in person. But now I have to worry about this until Wednesday again and I have to rely on a phone interview to impress someone. This sucks.

E: Any tips for interviewing with a higher-up in a company after I've already interviewed with my direct supervisors? They all told me that they're ready to take me on board, but now I guess the VP wants to see for himself.

It depends on how technical this person is. I interviewed with a CTO once and ended up doing a whiteboard coding problem (via some skype-like interface). I've also interviewed with a company president and just been asked more general questions about problem solving, teamwork, culture, etc. Just treat it like any other interview but tailor your answers to the background of the person you're talking to (i.e. don't throw out a bunch of useless acronyms to someone who's not going to understand them, that will not endear you towards them).

Phone interviews are fine, you can walk around with no pants and taking a moment to gather your thoughts is less awkward than in person.

Also, you should never have to pay to go interview somewhere, that's bullshit.

return0
Apr 11, 2007

Tots posted:

Tell them to gently caress off, or pay travel.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
Got the job! :yotj: Gonna be working for my city/county govt in a big shiny courthouse downtown on the cool side of the river.

Now to change my name.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Got the job! :yotj: Gonna be working for my city/county govt in a big shiny courthouse downtown on the cool side of the river.

Now to change my name.

FINALLY! Congratulations!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Mission accomplished, everyone. Great job.

edit: re-opening thread, apparently there are people besides 2banks who want a job too? Weird.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 28, 2014

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Congratulations 2banks. I greatly look forward to 2banks-complaining-about-inane-government-bureaucracy-chat. :)

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

Hey Jobs thread.

Hammerite posted:

Oh and congratulations to you guys too I guess. :toot:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Cicero posted:

Mission accomplished, everyone. Great job.

edit: re-opening thread, apparently there are people besides 2banks who want a job too? Weird.

Start a new thread?

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Chasiubao posted:

Start a new thread?

Does the OP need a refresher or anything? Or are we just looking for a "clean slate" here?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Tots posted:

(they aren't paying any travel expense.)
Keep track of your mileage and related job expenses. Job hunting expenses you pay out of pocket and aren't reimbursed are tax-deductible. (Assuming you're in the US)

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

wolffenstein posted:

Keep track of your mileage and related job expenses. Job hunting expenses you pay out of pocket and aren't reimbursed are tax-deductible. (Assuming you're in the US)

No poo poo? E: not being snarky, thanks for the tip.

Also, I'd tell them to gently caress off if I thought I was actually hire-able by the type of place that would pay travel expenses.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

wolffenstein posted:

Only if you itemize though, which most new programmers won't be doing.

yoyodyne
May 7, 2007
I'm currently in school, and earlier in the semester I was working for a small start up (I was the 7th employee; 4th developer) as my development job. We were using Rails and Ember, which I had no prior experience in, and we were working in a domain that I was unfamiliar with.
I had read up a bit going in, and had very little on the job training (some pairing sessions over the first 6 weeks or so), but in the end it ended up not quite working out due to:

1) Budget constraints for salaries (they were going to be bringing in a at least one more experienced guy who would be quiet expensive), and they were still in fairly early seed rounds

2) High demand for new, complicated features from potential customers

3) My programming skills and domain knowledge were progressing fairly well, but not quite as quickly as would be ideal. My boss did admit that they were asking a lot out of a brand new developer (particularly one still in school), and that I'd probably be fine at most other places.

In the end, I came away with some pretty good experience, a recommendation from my boss, and I learned a ton. Still though, I was only there for like 3 months, so I can't imagine that would look good. Should I put this job on my resume and/or LinkedIn?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
How should I handle a non-compete clause for a new job? I looked the non-compete over and there's nothing super terrible (IE: we own all work one year after you leave) but IANAL. However, I'm in Washington state and the courts are pro-business when it comes to non-competes. I'm not sure if it's worth the ~$400 to seek counsel about it.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

yoyodyne posted:

In the end, I came away with some pretty good experience, a recommendation from my boss, and I learned a ton. Still though, I was only there for like 3 months, so I can't imagine that would look good. Should I put this job on my resume and/or LinkedIn?
If you're still on good terms with them, you could ask if they're OK with you listing it as an internship? Then the length would definitely not raise any red flags, although really if you're still in school, probably people will just assume it was an internship/co-op regardless.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

^^^ Great minds. I was going to say the same thing about asking them if they'd be cool with retroactively calling it an internship, but having never done one myself, I didn't know if that was reasonable. I definitely second that if it's possible.

yoyodyne posted:

Still though, I was only there for like 3 months, so I can't imagine that would look good. Should I put this job on my resume and/or LinkedIn?

3 months of experience while in school is probably fine. It sounds like an internship, honestly.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Ithaqua posted:

FINALLY! Congratulations!

Thanks for your help, FWIW.

Cicero posted:

Congratulations 2banks. I greatly look forward to 2banks-complaining-about-inane-government-bureaucracy-chat. :)

Thank you!

To the nooblets:

IT GETS BETTER. You might have to take a lovely first job, but if you stick to your guns #2 will kick rear end.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Could people review my resume and provide feedback on a few issues?

I've been applying for jobs for 2 months now, and I've had quite a few interviews that I thought went really well but did not result in an offer being made. There are two particular things that have concerned me.

1) The timing of my Master's degree / non-completeness of a Ph.D degree. I've been at CMU in the Ph.D program from 2009 until now, and I got my Master's degree "along the way" in 2012. I've completed my course work for the Ph.D program and passed my Ph.D qualifying exam, but just have not made enough progress to be defending a thesis. Part of it is I was working on a specific project that involved collaboration with another lab in another field, and them dropping out of the project effectively killed my end of it as well. And the second big factor is that my advisor is retiring earlier than expected due to health concerns. So to continue, I'd have to find a new advisor to mentor / fund me, at the same time as I found a new thesis project. I don't want to teach, so a Master's in ECE really does seem sufficient for me, but I feel this has come up in every interview and been an awkward thing to explain. I've tried to minimize discussion of it as much as possible and keep the conversation positive, but I worry it is significantly affecting people's perception of me.

Up until now, I've had that I was in the Ph.D program, along with the date of my passed Ph.D qualifying exam, in the Education section. This has led to me not just having to explain, but correct people when they assume that I will have my Ph.D degree by the end of this semester. For the resume I posted above, I've removed this entirely from the Education section (it now just has my Master's related information), but I've kept the Ph.D student / research assistant title in the Experience section as a) it is still solid experience and b) it explains what I've been doing since getting my MS in 2012.

2) While I have on-the-job experience from some co-op positions, most of my experience has been theoretical in nature (with even 2/3rds of my co-op experience at a research lab and, thus, also mostly theoretical). So my list of languages that I'm proficient in is pretty small - mostly C++ (though I do have 15 years of experience with that and am super comfortable with it), MATLAB, and more recently CUDA for GPU acceleration. I know I want to pick up a scripting language (Python or Ruby) soonish, but I need a job now. 75% of the jobs I see listed are web-based with very specific stacks, and the remaining 25% are also quite full of Java / scripting requirements. In CE undergrad and the phd program, everything I was in contact with was C++ based, and I feel like that isn't really in demand in industry. I have a lot of experience with algorithm design, complexity analysis, optimization methods, heuristics for NP-hard problems, etc., but that never seems to come up - it's just about specific languages, with only very broad algorithmic issues.

and 3) this isn't really an issue but a more general question - I have also been a freelance editor for AJE, reviewing and editing foreign manuscripts to prepare them for publishing in English-language journals. This is good experience as it shows I'm capable of writing research ideas at a level that is acceptable for technical journals and conferences. However, it is also clearly something that has been going on parallel to my grad work, and I worry a potential employer would (rightly) assume it would continue on in parallel to my employment with them, and that that would somehow be detrimental. Worried about the later, I've completely kept this off my resume.

Neo_Reloaded fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 29, 2014

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

gently caress them posted:

Thanks for your help, FWIW.

Thank you!

To the nooblets:

IT GETS BETTER. You might have to take a lovely first job, but if you stick to your guns #2 will kick rear end.

so when do you start, poster gently caress them.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Could people review my resume and provide feedback on a few issues?

The objective says nothing, might as well not even have it. Move your technical skills up and flesh them out, and maybe move your experience above your education, since your experience does look pretty good and you don't seem to want to talk about your education.

What's so awkward to explain about 'being an underpaid grad student sucks and I'd rather make real money' anyway? Is that inaccurate?

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

FamDav posted:

so when do you start, poster gently caress them.

EXCUSE ME.

"... and their bullshit." You gotta say the whole thing.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

ohgodwhat posted:

The objective says nothing, might as well not even have it. Move your technical skills up and flesh them out, and maybe move your experience above your education, since your experience does look pretty good and you don't seem to want to talk about your education.

What's so awkward to explain about 'being an underpaid grad student sucks and I'd rather make real money' anyway? Is that inaccurate?

The objective was at the recommendation of a CMU career advisor and my father - I'm not sure what that does either, or how to improve it. Maybe taking it out is best.

It's not that I don't want to talk about my education - I'm proud of a lot about my education, and it still represents the majority of my experience at this young age. I just want to correctly frame the Ph.D program situation so I'm not making myself look like either a) a quitter or b) someone who failed out. I definitely talk about coursework and positive experiences and fundamental things I've learned as responses to interview questions - it's just that "Oh no, I'm actually not going to have my Ph.D degree, just the MS degree which I already have" part that is causing me stress. At one interview, one of the older guys got a fatherly / mentorly tone with me and was basically trying to talk me into figuring out how to make the PhD program work since its so hard to go back to later in life.

Neo_Reloaded fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 29, 2014

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Neo_Reloaded posted:

The objective was at the recommendation of a CMU career advisor and my father - I'm not sure what that does either, or how to improve it. Maybe taking it out is best.

Would you give a poo poo about anything said there if you were trying to hire someone?

quote:

It's not that I don't want to talk about my education - I'm proud of a lot about my education, and it still represents the majority of my experience at this young age. I just want to correctly frame the Ph.D program situation so I'm not making myself look like either a) a quitter or b) someone who failed out. I definitely talk about coursework and positive experiences and fundamental things I've learned as responses to interview questions - it's just that "Oh no, I'm actually not going to have my Ph.D degree, just the MS degree which I already have" part that is causing me stress.

You are a quitter, but you're quitting for a smart reason. Continuing your education isn't worth the opportunity cost, so you've taken your leave. You have goals and they're better met by finding a job now.

There are plenty of ways to put it.

greatZebu
Aug 29, 2004

Neo_Reloaded posted:

It's not that I don't want to talk about my education - I'm proud of a lot about my education, and it still represents the majority of my experience at this young age. I just want to correctly frame the Ph.D program situation so I'm not making myself look like either a) a quitter or b) someone who failed out. I definitely talk about coursework and positive experiences and fundamental things I've learned as responses to interview questions - it's just that "Oh no, I'm actually not going to have my Ph.D degree, just the MS degree which I already have" part that is causing me stress. At one interview, one of the older guys got a fatherly / mentorly tone with me and was basically trying to talk me into figuring out how to make the PhD program work since its so hard to go back to later in life.

You should be fine anywhere that hires people out of Ph.D programs. Just explain that you're ABD and your advisor had to retire for health reasons and you aren't interested in starting over with a new advisor. It shouldn't be a big deal, and I don't think the guy who was trying to mentor you into staying is representative.

Also, as someone with research experience and your skill-set, you shouldn't be looking at random web dev jobs unless that's really what you want out of your career. You'll be valued higher by the big software companies (think Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Facebook) or places that specifically do data analytics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

greatZebu posted:

You should be fine anywhere that hires people out of Ph.D programs. Just explain that you're ABD and your advisor had to retire for health reasons and you aren't interested in starting over with a new advisor. It shouldn't be a big deal, and I don't think the guy who was trying to mentor you into staying is representative.

Also, as someone with research experience and your skill-set, you shouldn't be looking at random web dev jobs unless that's really what you want out of your career. You'll be valued higher by the big software companies (think Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Facebook) or places that specifically do data analytics.

I'm definitely not interested in random web dev jobs - I want to work in a scientific programming or large-scale data analysis context - I'm just looking at what's available in the geographic area I'm focusing in (I don't want to move to the west coast if I don't have to as all my family is on the east coast). I know that's limiting, but I didn't realize how limiting until I started looking for jobs.

I have had applications in with Google, Apple, and IBM for a few months, and have received no interview requests. I thought I was in with HP Vertica after a solid interview, but they went with someone else.