Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

citybeatnik posted:

I'm less than thrilled with M20 because 1) one of the developers behind it is full out whacko and 2) the "official" artwork for the Etherites changed them from "mad scientist surrounded by tesla coils" to "some random steampunk gal in a corset, we guess...?".

I've gotten used to literally lighting everything I don't like about oWoD on fire and making my own setting from the ashes, so I'm pretty stoked as long as the rules sort of work. I guess this is Stockholm Syndrome?

(And we're getting Technocracy 20th Ed. That's probably going to be awesome!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Ego Trip posted:

what'd I miss?
http://satyrosphilbrucato.wordpress.com/2014/03/23/mage-20-qa-part-i-what-is-mage-anyway/

MJ12 posted:

I've gotten used to literally lighting everything I don't like about oWoD on fire and making my own setting from the ashes, so I'm pretty stoked as long as the rules sort of work. I guess this is Stockholm Syndrome?

(And we're getting Technocracy 20th Ed. That's probably going to be awesome!)
If that's not "The SCIENCE!!! Adventures of the Sons/Society of Ether with Special Guest Stars the Virtual Adepts and the Void Engineers" I'm going to be disappointed.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Ego Trip posted:

what'd I miss?

I too am curious. If anything, crazy dudes on staff makes setting fluff better. Kirkbride and the Elder Scrolls setting is a good example.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

citybeatnik posted:

* Abilities (Linguistics is out, Technology is in)

That reminds me of something fun about the original 1st/2nd-edition Vampire rules.

There used to be a column in some RPG newsletter or another about "Murphy's Laws": rules quirks in various systems that indicated something weird about the world as portrayed by the game. One of the examples they used was how Linguistics used to work in Vampire, where each dot on a five-point scale meant the character spoke another language.

Since humans by those rules had a hard cap of 5 on any ability, that meant that anyone in the world who spoke more than six languages was a 7th-generation vampire or lower, which meant that in the World of Darkness, the translation department at the United Nations (among other places) was populated entirely by low-generation vampires.

White Wolf changed Linguistics pretty shortly thereafter so each dot was worth double the additional languages.

I'm willing to give him a pass on having gotten a little eccentric since Brucato and Kathleen Ryan are responsible for pretty much everything I like about Mage.

If you want to see another example of post-White Wolf writers going a little goofy, Mark Rein*Hagen's been through something like eight careers after he left.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
In the original Vampire Revised, Linguistics was an exponential increase. One dot gave you an extra language, but 5 dots brought you up to an insane SIXTEEN additional languages. I made good use of that as a Malkavian "interpreter" who followed the coterie as a go-between for various factions. He was largely gibbering in a mish-mash of languages, but occasionally popped up and interrupted a tense negotiation by calling out a lie or pointing out that the goons with guns were talking about killing the party once the fake talks were done.

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
Welp, now I know why everybody hates those sewers. Is there a mod or something out there that makes that section more enjoyable, or at least less awful to go through? :smith:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Tyrone Biggums posted:

Welp, now I know why everybody hates those sewers. Is there a mod or something out there that makes that section more enjoyable, or at least less awful to go through? :smith:

Celerity :v:

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013

I'm playing an unarmed Brujah. It still blows :smithicide:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Tyrone Biggums posted:

Use the console commands and noclip your way through?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I honestly don't get how people get lost in the sewers. They're labeled!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Getting lost isn't the problem with that area.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Tyrone Biggums posted:

Avoid it entirely by opting for the other method where you stalk Bertram Tung.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Mira posted:

Avoid it entirely by opting for the other method where you stalk Bertram Tung.

Is that a plus patch thing? I thought there wasn't any way to circumvent the sewers in the vanilla game.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

citybeatnik posted:

I'm less than thrilled with M20 because 1) one of the developers behind it is full out whacko and 2) the "official" artwork for the Etherites changed them from "mad scientist surrounded by tesla coils" to "some random steampunk gal in a corset, we guess...?".

There were a lot of steampunk-inspired Etherites in oMage. It makes sense - they split from the Technocracy at the beginning of the 20th century, because the rest of the Union wouldn't include luminous ether in their timetable. They are very much about aesthetics in science and I could even imagine them supporting steampunk-inspired fashion.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
I mean, come on. A basic creation is Ether Goggles. They scream steampunk--which can fit tesla coils into that aesthetic with no problem.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Psion posted:

Getting lost isn't the problem with that area.
"Think like a Lick, stay in the red." Bring plenty of bloodpacks and don't hesitate to use them.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
The next area is pretty much a mandatory combat area (when you are allowed and even encouraged to not make a combat character), plus a sewer level. Combine that with low-to-no opportunities to replenish blood (and thus health) depending on clan, and you have problems. If you piss off Vandal or just don't have the cash, you might not be able to bring blood in at all. The sewers were where I had to restart on my first playthrough and I doubt I'm alone in that.

Edited to put spoilers up because I'm not sure if it counts.

Mountain Lightning fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 18, 2014

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

UrbicaMortis posted:

Is that a plus patch thing? I thought there wasn't any way to circumvent the sewers in the vanilla game.

Actually, yeah, it is. Part of the CQM batch.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Gantolandon posted:

There were a lot of steampunk-inspired Etherites in oMage. It makes sense - they split from the Technocracy at the beginning of the 20th century, because the rest of the Union wouldn't include luminous ether in their timetable. They are very much about aesthetics in science and I could even imagine them supporting steampunk-inspired fashion.

Nawh, you're right. The Revised Tradbook even talks about how they dress the way they do specifically because it's their way of flipping the bird at the narrative structure of the WoD itself - flashy, colorful garb harking back to a simpler time of ADVENTURE in the face of the apathy and nihilism of the modern age. Etherites are Pulp Heroes and certainly steampunk can be part of that.

It's just, well...

This pic just doesn't do it for me.

http://obskures.de/2014/mage-ascension-kickstarter-interview-richard-thomas-satyros/

Where are the deathrays? The giant mechanical arms strapped to her shoulders? The jetpack wearing cosmonaut monkey with a pistol? The syringes full of strange glowing fluids? Where are her drat Ethergoggles?

In short, I'm being hyperbolic about my dislike of the thing because my favorite Tradition isn't being presented in what I consider to be the optimal fashion. It's me, I'm the :spergin:

Speaking of which, someone needs to start up a VtR game for me to take part in so I have an actual excuse to buy Blood & Smoke.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Tyrone Biggums posted:

I'm playing an unarmed Brujah. It still blows :smithicide:

Keep in mind that you don't have to do the sewers all in one go. Every now and then you have the option of returning to the surface and restocking on supplies. Also, once you reach the lower levels you're often better off just running away from monsters instead of fighting them. Even without Celerity it's possible to avoid a lot of combat encounters.

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
Looks like this game is on sale on Steam for 4.99, which is 75% off. In case anyone wanted to play it for themselves and experience these fabled sewers.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Colander Crotch posted:

Looks like this game is on sale on Steam for 4.99, which is 75% off. In case anyone wanted to play it for themselves and experience these fabled sewers.

Thanks for the heads up, I'd been waiting for it to go on sale!

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Colander Crotch posted:

I'd still like to know how to get the plus patch to work with the Steam version.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

CirclMastr posted:

I'd still like to know how to get the plus patch to work with the Steam version.

Disable automatic updates and it should work ok, I think.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
I posted the instructions earlier but I'll repeat them now, since the instructions for a steam installation are inside the installation itself (Meaning that by the time you can read them you've hosed your install).

quote:

On problems with Steam run Steam and game as administrator, then the
unpatched game once, go to offline mode, disable steam community and
auto update, exit Steam and install to \steamapps\common\vampire ...

Gamingnerd
Apr 14, 2014
I just bought the game last night so I'll keep that in mind if I have issues.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
This has not been abandoned. Update coming soon (tomorrow, probably).

Beer Hall Putz
Sep 10, 2005

Unpleasent snacking
A single tear rolls down a vampire's cheek.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Cakes posted:

A single tear rolls down a vampire's cheek.

Since vampires can't actually cry, it would have to be a bloody tear.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
What can I say, Sometimes I have more important things to do than lets play. The next up date will come by the end of the week, at least.

In other news, wesp came out with patch 9.0.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Let me be more clear. Anyone who has collaborated with me knows that my laptop is living out the last of its days. Just in this let's play alone, I've had to do a system restore once because it became unresponsive on startup, and in addition to that more than a few bluescreens have erased updates in the making. Well, recently there's been a clicking sound coming every now and then which signals harddrive failure. So I bought a new computer and have been transfering over everything of importance, which has been taking up time.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Goons are impatient, film at 11.

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
Plus Patch 9.0 for anybody interested!

http://www.patches-scrolls.de/patch/4647/61625

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Their servers have been slow as gently caress, so good luck to anyone trying to download the patch. I've tried twice and both times the download corrupts for some odd reason.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

gatz posted:

Their servers have been slow as gently caress, so good luck to anyone trying to download the patch. I've tried twice and both times the download corrupts for some odd reason.

So it wasn't just me and my flaky connection loving about - good to know.

Doesn't seem like it's worth going crazy over, anyway. Some bugfixes and that kind of poo poo. Although this one stood out to me:

Changelog posted:

+Cleaned Mercurio's apartment after a time

I didn't even really notice, but yeah, I seem to recall that the blood in Merc's apartment never really gets cleaned up, even after he's up and kicking again. You'd think he'd be the type to clean up after himself.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Well I downloaded the latest patch. It says that it restores some dialogue with some of our friends back in Santa Monica, as well as a quest with Trip in the plus patch. We're already going to head back there because of the serial killer quest, but now we'll have a bit more to do.

Also, it turns out that WESP is an analytical chemistry professor: http://www.cup.uni-muenchen.de/oc/spahl/ . Who knew? That's public information, by the way, as he even lists his university email in the patch exe file.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

It's been a while, so let me do a recap of events. If you're reading this in the archive, please wait a month before continuing.

After we returned from the museum without the Ankaran Sarcophagus in hand, LaCroix sent us to Hollywood because the city's baron, Isaac Abrams, would know how to put us in contact with the Nosferatu primogen named Gary. According to LaCroix, Gary stole the sarcophagus, but because he operates in Hollywood -- anarch territory -- LaCroix doesn't know where Gary is located. That's obviously where Isaac comes in, but before he'll tell us where the Nosferatu lair is, we have to do him a favor. Namely, we have to head to the local internet cafe. Isaac has paid for a certain movie, yet the seller will no longer meet Isaac on his terms. He says that he'll send the location to pick up the movie at one of the terminals in the 'Ground Zero internet cafe'. Specifically, the terminal with the directory "Josef k", which is accessed with the password "Kafka". Why Isaac can't do this himself, or send one of his goons to do it, is a mystery. It's left up to us, and that's where we're headed now.

Ground Zero isn't listed on the map, so we'll just have to search around to find it.

On our way, we're approached by this woman.

This isn't good. Whoever this is is a relic left over from Melissa's past life. Or maybe I should just say life. This is a masquerade violation if I've ever seen one.

Who are you?

It's me, Samantha! Don't you... did you suffer amnesia, is that it? Let me make a call. We-we'll get everybody together, we can talk - maybe you'll remember something. The important thing is that they know you're alive.

Samantha here hasn't noticed that Melissa is a lot paler, not breathing, has two very sharp fangs -- in other words, she hasn't noticed that Melissa is a vampire. But at the same time that these physical changes could give us away, they could prove to be a weapon we can use to our advantage. I'm not speaking about killing Samantha -- Melissa, with her high humanity, likely just doesn't have the heart to do that. I'm talking about convincing Samantha that we're someone else. We've already taken the first step by asking her name as if Melissa is unfamiliar with her. The next step requires a bit of skill.

[Persuade] I think you've made a mistake; I just moved here. I don't know you.

Lady, listen, I really don't know who you are. Is this some kind of scam?

But your face, you look exactly the same. It's uncanny... I can't believe it.

Lots of people look the same. Look around. I'm not them.

Note the gender neutral term.

A question arises from this encounter. We just met Samantha in Hollywood, alone. Does that mean that she lives in Hollywood? Maybe. If so, where does that place Melissa? We don't know. She could've lived in Hollywood, but then the night of her embrace, she was in Downtown -- in LaCroix's domain. Ultimately there isn't enough information to know for sure. Did both Samantha and Melissa live in Hollywood? Maybe so, and they went downtown the night of Melissa's embrace. Maybe they live in different cities, etc. It ultimately doesn't matter.

Just opposite the Red Spot, we find our destination. Internet cafes were a fad back in the mid 2000's. I never went inside of one because I'm not a loser. :smug:. Do they even exist any more?

I can only imagine that this is how pathetic most internet cafes looked 10 years ago.

Let's get started. There are a handful of computers we can interact with in the place -- not just the josephk terminal.

The password for the email is Subarashi.

1 posted:

<Subject> Hitomi Hello
<From> Ayako33@Jfone.ne.jp

Hi. I am Ayako. Let's English practice. Your homestay how it is? America must be so COOLEST. You are in Hollywood? Are you in a movie?

Love,

Ayako

2 posted:

<Subject> Re: Hitomi Hello

Present Kenta and I ate okonomiyaki of Yokohama. That extremeness was tasty. What is eaten in America? Does they wat the Japanese food? I must investigate.

Bye bye,

Ayako

3 posted:

Are Americans have long legs? Are you date American boy? Is the image sent? It is happy.

Ayako

4 posted:

This weekend I go to the hot spring where my family has been attached. I am excited very. When we are the child, is Yukie which is the friend to us remember? She is also inquire about thing in America. Is the pleasant time passed? Send many images due to me!

Ayako

I wonder who this 'Yukie' could be?

Near one of terminals. we find this book.

Clearly a reference to Neuromancer. You might have noticed that the epigraph to this entire LP is a quote from Neuromancer. It was one of the few good things I found in that book. That quote and the introduction of Simstim, but William Gibson didn't do much with that other than use it as a way to jump between characters. One of the stories in his earlier short story collection, Burning Chrome, is about simstim addiction. Go read that collection if you want to read William Gibson at his best (which honestly isn't that good).

Back to more emails. The password is shizzle.

1 posted:

<Subject> 2mack3d D0wn
<From> Sethiroph@SOL.vtm

Dud3, my Prussians totally rushed your Francs last night in Eurocraft. Playing tonight? Also, that girl that sits next to me in science talked to me today! She totally wants me to do her.

On October 3rd, she asked him what day it was.

2 posted:

<Subject> RE: Your Mom
<From> Sethiroph@SOL.vtm

No, dud3, your mom!

3 posted:

<Subject> RE: Your Mom
<From> Sethiroph@SOL.vtm

YOUR MOM!

4 posted:

<Subject> Hot Pron
<From> Sethiroph@SOL.vtm

PSYCHE! Your mom.

4 posted:

<Subject> WTF?
<From> Thrillho@SOL.vtm

What are you doing to me, 2Pacula? I said cover me, not die like a little bitch. One more fubar and you're out of the clan!

5 posted:

<Subject> GOODS
<From> Sethiroph@SOL.vtm

I just straight snatched the new Troika game. If you haxxor the code you can unlock clan Chocula!

There are two terminals left. This isn't the one we need, but does give us some information on possible power players in Hollywood.

We'll go through alphabetical order.

alonzo, alfredo posted:

Hunky action star of syndicated TV detective show "Beef Bartlow". Now serves up sandwiches named after his character at Jeremy's Famous Deli in nearby Beverly Hills.

amore, sapphy posted:

A former dancer at the local Vesuvius club, Sapphy is one of the few active adult film stars who also occasionally appears in mainstream media. Known to drop in from time to time at the club where she made her name.

blingo posted:

Rap superstar and entrepreneur best known for his platinum albums, "I69 - Blingo!" and "Weed Metaphor", Blingo owns several sweat shops in the area that turn out urban wear for his clothing line "All Up On Ya".

captain bananas posted:

Known as the Olivier of chimp actors, Captain Bananas began his career as Trent Taylor's sidekick in the "C.I.Ape" film series. Now stars in the popular TV drama "Ape Detective". Part-owner in Hollywood hotspot "Fling".

These next two might be important:

golden, gary posted:

"Gorgeous" Gary Golden was the star of such 30's classics as "Tap Hotel" and "Singing Honeymooners". He later became a popular dramatic character actor in films such as "Skies of Nevada". Shortly after his last film in 1960, Golden disappeared and was legally declared dead in 1965.

imalia posted:

Model famous for her racy covers and high lifestyle, Imalia claimed residence in Hollywood for several years. Tragically, her career was cut short in its prime. Her car was found wrecked at the base of the Hollywood Hills, her remains burned beyond recognition.

jerkass, johnny posted:

Johnny Jerkass, host of popular prank show "Psyche!" films most of his show on the streets of Hollywood. Famous pranks filmed on this very street were the "wife hit by bus", the "stripper is really a dude", and "that's not really beer".

Those prank shows like "Punk'd" used to be pretty popular.

kross, natalia posted:

Superstar of the late 50s to late 60s, known for her class and natural beauty. In 1968, Kross was brutally murdered at her house in the Hollywood Hills. She is buried in the Hollywood Forever Cemetery.

lungfish, zed posted:

The Lungfish, infamous for his onstage debauchery during his concerts, owns and operates the Crematorium here in Hollywood.

nivbed posted:

If you want to spot this artist, try West Hollywood, but approach with caution - he's easily provoked to dangerous levels of sass.

openheimer, jason posted:

Producer of such films as "Guy Fawkes Day", "Explosion Every Sixty Seconds", and "Boston Harbor". Gets his hair done at local salon "Jump Cuts" and has been spotted buying music at local record store "Sappy Ballads".

revolta, jim posted:

Removed from database at request of Church of Solicitology.

Pay attention to this next one:

rivers, ash posted:

After his breakout performance in the film "Negative Zero", Rivers garnered huge critical and commercial success in three more films before a shocking early retirement. Rivers spends most of his time these days managing his club, the Asp Hole, found right here in the heart of Hollywood.

sammy, frankie posted:

Wisecracking star of 70s TV show "What's the Word?", Sammy was found bludgeoned to death at the local Luckee Star two years after his popular show was cancelled.

These next two are the last of importance:

sessions, tawni posted:

Ubermodel Tawni Sessions has an apartment right here in Hollywood, and can often be found window-shopping in Beverly Hills.

swan, ginger posted:

Swan, a name synonymous with beauty and glamour to this day, was a great celebrity of the late forties and early fifties. Her credits included such movies as "Gilded Hummingbirds" and "When No Means Yes". After her passing in 1954, she was interred in the Hollywood Forever Cemetery mausoleum.

tang, margaret posted:

The most in-demand voice director in town. Margaret is known for coaxing brilliant performances (and sometimes tears) out of her actors. She is currently working in Hollywood on several A-list titles, including "The Animated Adventures of Fowl Mouth the Friggin' Chicken" and "Frankenstein: Breadlust".

Phew, that was a lot of reading. Thankfully, this is the last terminal.

As Isaac mentioned, the password to the email is Kafka. There are two emails. The first:

Gives us our next objective in this Kafkaesque(?) quest. The next email isn't very important.

2 posted:

<Subject> VIRUS ALERT: read me!
<From> snifq@mail.vtm

MAV has detected a virus in the attachment of this message. The virus has been quarantined and a notice sent to snifq@mail.vtm.

The apps section on the terminal isn't important. Our next stop is near the Fast Buck.

Our contact is behind the buidling...

...looking suitably scary, black hood and all.

Ye-yeah. I-I mean, what? Who the hell is Isaac?!? I don't know anyone named Isaac. Get lost, bitch!

He's really shaken. Something must be up with the tape.

Relax. You can trust me. What the hell is going on here?

Alright. S-sorry. It's just that... I mean, something is... I just want out of this whole thing. I don't want anything to do with that drat tape.

Why? What's going on?

Being sympathetic might get more info out of him.

I know how you feel. Lately I've seen a lot of things you wouldn't believe.

Oh, you have no idea. It's disgusting... that girl... the things that are happening to her. It just ain't right, man. It just ain't right! And now... something's wrong... something's after me. I swear to God, something's after me!

What? What are you talking about?

Every place I go... wherever I look, I see things. In the shadows. My phone rings, I hear somethign breathing on the other end and.... poo poo! I'm out, man... I'm out of this whole thing!

Alright, alright. Just give me the tape.

I don't have it! I stashed it someplace. Look, you need to find Ginger Swan's.

Huh? What the hell was that? Oh poo poo! Did you see that? I'm getting the gently caress out of here...!

He runs around the corner...

...out of sight, the sound of a manhole opening, a gasp...

...and he's nowhere to be found as we turn the corner. Something's clearly wrong with this tape. Why would Isaac want it? What would the purpose be?

Furthermore, what is a Ginger Swan? Maybe Isaac knows.

He didn't have it.

Hmm... did he at least make a good excuse?

He muttered something about a "ginger swan". Mean anything to you?

Ginger Swan! Swan... hmm. Not an animal, a name. Brings back a lot of memories. Seventy years ago, wasn't a man in this city that wouldn't have given up his family, career, or anything else for one night with her.

So where can I go to meet this old bat?

That depends... you believe in an afterlife? Ginger Swan's been dead since the fifties. Twenty years after there were still grown men weeping at her grave. I don't know how she's relevant, but I have faith you'll figure it out.

A dead actress... right. That makes complete sense.

We know who Ginger Swan is. Remember the internet cafe:

swan, ginger posted:

Swan, a name synonymous with beauty and glamour to this day, was a great celebrity of the late forties and early fifties. Her credits included such movies as "Gilded Hummingbirds" and "When No Means Yes". After her passing in 1954, she was interred in the Hollywood Forever Cemetery mausoleum.

Our next stop, then, is the cemetery.

The problem is getting in. The gate's locked, so we have to go through the hole in the brick wall. moving pieces of wood and barrels out of our way in the process.

We know that Ginger Swan's remains are in the mausoleum, but we don't know where that is. There's a house on the left, there. Maybe we can ask whoever's inside for directions.

I'm looking for--

Why would you think I was a zombie?

Who else would be waltzing in here in the middle of the night?

Only Zombies could do that, clearly.

An obvious reference to John George Romero.

See it's like this: every night 'round this time for the past... oh, several months now, the dead've been getting up with an itch to stroll down Hollywood Boulevard. Nobody knows why, but they're working on it. Till they figure it out, they needed a volunteer to patch the problem and I stepped forward. Problem temporarily solved, the baron's happy, I get to shoot zombies and guarantee I get my blood for another month. I've carved out a nice niche here.

Romero just admitted that he's Isaac's ghoul. We've already run into zombies in downtown LA. There we were investigating a supernatural cult. But that's not happening here...as far as we know...so what could be the cause of the Hollywood zombies?

What's causing the zombies to rise?

Who knows? Vampire necro-hoodoo, toxic waste, solar radiation - the important part is: they continue to rise up, and I get to put 'em down. Everybody's a winner.

Let's just ignore that mention of Vampires and move on.

All you do here is shoot zombies?

Shoot them, blow them away, frag them - whatever the situation calls for. Sometimes I throw in chopping and dicing just to mix it up. :haw:

Sounds like fun.

You're telling me. Far as I know I'm the only person around Hollywood who considers marksmanship an art. A lot of the stiffs around here used to be rear end in a top hat celebrities too. Bonus.

Hey - you wouldn't be interested in watching the place while I go handle some business, would you? I'm not supposed to leave or it might end up in a zombie holocaust or something. Like one time, these goths snuck in... wooh, wasn't pretty.

'Handle some business' must mean....yeah.

What's in it for me?

Let's see... if you can't shoot straight, I can probably fix that. And I've got quite the arsenal - I can probably let one piece go. We'll work something out when I get back.

What would I have to do?

Just keep this guy shooting zombies, he's a psycho.

Stick to the subject at hand, Romero.

I can try, but... it's not going to be easy with the, uh... twins... in the room. So anyway -

I'll be back in about five minutes. If you should see any zombies in that time, you need to put them down. Now, they're dead, so you're either going to have to hack them up good or shoot 'em in the head. Just don't let them bite you.

Why? Do you turn into a zombie if they bite you?

Naw, it just hurts like a bitch.

There are two ways to handle this quest. The first way is obvious: fight zombies as Romero leaves to go jerk off or whatever. The other way is more interesting.

I'm not interested in fighting zombies. Maybe I can help in some other way?

Predictably:

Sometimes a man needs the kind of release putting a .44 slug through a zombie's brain doesn't provide. You know... temporary affection.

I'll save you the trip. I'll bring someone back for you.

Now we're presented with a problem. Who do we know who would sleep with a zombie-killing psycho? Well...nobody offhand, but there are some people we've seen walking the streets who do this poo poo for a living.

It's time to exploit a prostitute.

Yes I am, but not for me. For a friend of mine.

Okay, I'll play along... where's this "friend" of yours?

He spends his nights caring for orphaned children.

Ohh, that's so sweet.... And you're trying to corrupt him by buying him a prostitute?!? How dare you!

Hey, calm down. You're the sleazy ho here, not me.

I am no such thing! I am a professional - I take great pride in my work.

This is going nowhere. Let's get to the point.

So you'll help my friend out then?

[Persuade] We'll he's actually a fairly rude and disgusting person.

So we bring her back to Romero...

A stat boost is clearly more valuable than money.

Could you help me improve my skill with firearms?

When you fire, keep your eyes on the target even after you shoot. And, uh, use the sight, that's what it's there for. And style doesn't count for jack if you can't hit anything. Keep that Glock to the side crap in the movies.

Our firearms skill is bumped up by one.

Now, this mausoleum is located at the back of the cemetery. Romero wasn't much help, but it's easy enough to find.

Unsurprisingly, there are a ton of spots that Ginger Swan's remains could be.

This is the only time the Inspection skill comes in handy, yet we have zero dots in it. Troika knew that it would be a pain in the rear end to check all of these spots, so they pointed the right one out to the player.

There it is. We'll bring this back to Isaac next time.

gatz fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 3, 2014

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
"Romero" is more likely a reference to George than John, of the Living Dead movies.

Internet cafes are still around, though mostly they're specialty gaming/repair shops in the west. Still really big in Asian countries where it's more economical and social to just go to a cafe and use their facilities than maintain your own rig and Internet connection at home.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

J.theYellow posted:

"Romero" is more likely a reference to George than John, of the Living Dead movies.

That's actually what I meant to say. Daikatana scarred me more than I thought.

As for your point on internet cafes, what I've noticed is that the people who would go use them to check their email and stuff like that are now using public libraries for that purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
Also, seriously, gently caress the actual zombie shooting gallery. Unless the fan patches somehow made it easier, it's drat near impossible, just by the sheer size of the graveyard and how you have to cover two sides of it separately.

• Locked thread