Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Zaphod42 posted:

That's humanity not durability :downs:

Durability repairs at bonfires. If you're breaking weapons between bonfires, then you need more weapons.

Yeah, I think the new durability system was specifically designed to encourage players to pack a varied arsenal instead of their one super weapon that stops all foes (coughfuryswordcough). I honestly don't really mind the new durability system, except on a few weapons. The old knight halberd/spear are great examples, since they only have 20 durability and so break after like four attacks. A 100% durability halberd didn't even make through Magus & The Congregation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Zaphod42 posted:

So his advise is to co-op with broken weapons and if you win they'll repair themselves?

That doesn't make any sense.

If your weapons aren't broken its easier to just rest at a bonfire. If they are, you're a dick trying to do that. Just go repair them at the blacksmith.

If his durability is halfway, he can small white soapstone, kill a few dudes, and come back with a full refill. It's not bad at all. If you do that and rest at bonfires, even without the bracing knuckle ring you should never have to visit a blacksmith in the game for repairing weapons unless you happen to get stuck on corrosive bugs/enemies and they break your weapons.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I've been wearing my Bracing Knuckle Ring +0/+1/+2 at all times. This Hanzo Steel is much too fragile.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
^^^^ Ironically Katanas are more fragile than any other weapon class in :darksouls:

Sydin posted:

Yeah, I think the new durability system was specifically designed to encourage players to pack a varied arsenal instead of their one super weapon that stops all foes (coughfuryswordcough). I honestly don't really mind the new durability system, except on a few weapons. The old knight halberd/spear are great examples, since they only have 20 durability and so break after like four attacks. A 100% durability halberd didn't even make through Magus & The Congregation.

Also when you look at the way they redid weapon enchants/infusions, its far easier to keep multiple weapons upgraded to a good level where they're useful as opposed to Dark Souls 1 where upgrading multiple weapons was very, very costly.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
I'm so in love with this game (even more than DS1? Possibly?). I'm trying to do things blind and I have a weird janky build that's part hexer, part sorcerer, part Macedude...? Whatever, I'm a guy wearing a skirt, wielding a mace, and occasionally throwing soul arrows at people, I'm having fun. :v:

Anyway, my only stopping block so far has been the Rat Authority, so it's good to know that I'm not the only one having trouble. I wouldn't nearly as pissed with it if it wasn't the only boss that I haven't seen summon signs for. The Smelter Demon was hard, but at least I was able to get help for him. Oh well, I'll just skip him for now and come back later.

The Ratbro covenant seems like the most interesting so far. I got summoned while I was in Doors of Pharros and carrying ~25k souls, so I thought, "Oh god, I'm going to die and lose them all." But nah, just rumbled with a dude, died to a backstabbing dwarf, then ported back to my old spot. Seems like a nice diversion, at least!

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
I wish they wouldn't have used an easily traversable pile of rubble, or some variation of, as the way to cut off paths. It feels incredibly lazy and there is so many spots like that.

The path just before shrine of winter is a perfect example of this. A couple of rocks lie on the road and that is all it takes to stop our brave hero. The villains should've just imported some of those exploding barrels from Bastille and collapsed a couple of doorways or corridors and they would have had the hero beat.

Or the ladder/bonfire pit before Belfry Sol. That spot feels like its lifted straight out of some early playstation 1 3D platformer, and not the good kind.

You can fall down 20 meters or more and be fine, rocket up ladders and swing weapons which weigh as much as you do but an inconveniently petrified person somehow stops you dead in your tracks, and any knee high wall or stone or even some curbs shorter than that are impossible to get by.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
^^^^ Yeah, that poo poo is pretty lame. Its kinda par for the course with videogames, but I can understand expecting more from Dark Souls otherwise amazing level design.

"Just climb over it you gently caress!"

Spincut posted:

Anyway, my only stopping block so far has been the Rat Authority, so it's good to know that I'm not the only one having trouble.

I wouldn't nearly as pissed with it if it wasn't the only boss that I haven't seen summon signs for. The Smelter Demon was hard, but at least I was able to get help for him.

Yeah, there's never many signs outside RRA.

Spincut posted:

Oh well, I'll just skip him for now and come back later.

That's why :V

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Zaphod42 posted:

^^^^ Ironically Katanas are more fragile than any other weapon class in :darksouls:

Why is this ironically? Aren't katanas poo poo irl because Hanzo didn't know how to make real metal so he folded it like a sandwich or something

I never notice durability except the first area with a dagger until I find some other weapon, and also with halberds and greatswords because I guess they count ground strikes or something. I have a 70/70 durability halberd and there are some levels where I had to repeatedly take it back to the bonfire.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
If I die as a trespasser in a Rat King Covenant area, does it send me back to the bonfire or to wherever I got summoned from?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

Why is this ironically? Aren't katanas poo poo irl because Hanzo didn't know how to make real metal so he folded it like a sandwich or something

I never notice durability except the first area with a dagger until I find some other weapon, and also with halberds and greatswords because I guess they count ground strikes or something. I have a 70/70 durability halberd and there are some levels where I had to repeatedly take it back to the bonfire.

I wouldn't call them poo poo, but yes, katanas were prone to chipping. More so than your typical European sword, that is.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Gortarius posted:

I wish they wouldn't have used an easily traversable pile of rubble, or some variation of, as the way to cut off paths. It feels incredibly lazy and there is so many spots like that.

The path just before shrine of winter is a perfect example of this. A couple of rocks lie on the road and that is all it takes to stop our brave hero. The villains should've just imported some of those exploding barrels from Bastille and collapsed a couple of doorways or corridors and they would have had the hero beat.

Or the ladder/bonfire pit before Belfry Sol. That spot feels like its lifted straight out of some early playstation 1 3D platformer, and not the good kind.

You can fall down 20 meters or more and be fine, rocket up ladders and swing weapons which weigh as much as you do but an inconveniently petrified person somehow stops you dead in your tracks, and any knee high wall or stone or even some curbs shorter than that are impossible to get by.

Warp points everywhere means points of no return everywhere, no surprises there. It's lazy but was foreseeable consequence of the design decision. Kind of wish the "press X to climb over a really short thing" prompts from Demon's Souls would make a return though.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

turtlecrunch posted:

Not quite; iirc, Japanese iron is poo poo, so the only way to make swords not instantly shatter was to fold them over a bunch.

And durability is one of those weird things that serves to make the early game difficult, but becomes irrelevant in the late game. Unless you're smacking walls or using special R2 attacks.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

skasion posted:

Warp points everywhere means points of no return everywhere, no surprises there. It's lazy but was foreseeable consequence of the design decision.

The areas actually overlap each other constantly when you look at them in an editor. That's why the Earthen Peak -> Iron Keep transition feels so unnatural, they never had to think about where that elevator actually leads in a 3D environment.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

turtlecrunch posted:

I have a 70/70 durability halberd and there are some levels where I had to repeatedly take it back to the bonfire.

I found through trial and error, the reason your halberd is breaking so fast is because you are hitting things with the shaft of the weapon.
This is why you do like 1/4 your damage sometimes as well. You have to hit enemies with the tip of it or you will do less damage and break it faster.

It's no DS1 halberd. :(

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

turtlecrunch posted:

Without starting the whole :byodood: KATANAS VS LONGSWORDS :byodood: debate: most of the iron ore deposits in Japan are very low quality, so to make up for it the metal was folded a lot more to make up for the deficiency. There are pros and cons to this, one of which is that katanas are more likely to chip/bend faster. So it makes sense they would have a lower durability and have to be repaired more vs other swords.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

neetengie posted:

Go all or nothing you little bitch :colbert:
The increase isn't by much, it's still doable, but takes more time and patience.

Good point. I'MA DO IT ERE WE GO

It'd be nice if I could still BE summoned though, if only to save on effigies. Never did find that cling ring analogue, either. Oh well, man up mode!

... you know what else'd be nice, if you could be a Sunbro while being an Awesome... bro at the same time.

Brobro?

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
Another noob question: do I have to be human to drop a soapstone and help someone? Not sure how multiplayer is supposed to work, so far my soapstone has been greyed out.

Haeleus fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 28, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zaphod42 posted:

Also when you look at the way they redid weapon enchants/infusions, its far easier to keep multiple weapons upgraded to a good level where they're useful as opposed to Dark Souls 1 where upgrading multiple weapons was very, very costly.

Except that's not the case at all? In Dark Souls you could get the basic upgrade materials for easier than in this game. You could easily get several pieces of gear to a decent level, it was only upgrading them fully that was costly. In this, unless you got to a SPECIFIC AREA, you can't upgrade more than one or two weapons simply because you'll be limited on the basic titanite materials. Really, when I found a shotel I decided I wanted to use it, but wasn't able to do so until recently. The reason being I had no basic titanite and Harvest Valley/Earthen Peak is the only way to get significant amounts of it. Since I went in blind, I did that area last and thus spent a ton of time unable to use the weapon I wanted.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Good point. I'MA DO IT ERE WE GO

It'd be nice if I could still BE summoned though, if only to save on effigies. Never did find that cling ring analogue, either. Oh well, man up mode!

... you know what else'd be nice, if you could be a Sunbro while being an Awesome... bro at the same time.

Brobro?

The Cling Ring should be in the metal chest outside the Cathedral of Blue, under a different name of course.

Haeleus posted:

Another noob question: do I have to be human to drop a soapstone and help someone? So far its been greyed out.

No, you can drop it as hollow or human. Have you burnt an effigy? Trying to use it in a no-summon-zone(like majula)?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Haeleus posted:

Another noob question: do I have to be human to drop a soapstone and help someone? So far its been greyed out.

Nope. If its greyed out, you are either playing offline, being invaded, or are in an area that doesn't allow summoning.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

bef posted:

Any way to report players? Even with VAC patch came across an instant-health regenerating folk

http://imgur.com/a/Ui7pu

While ingame, open Steam Overlay and click View Players. Go the the Recent Games tab and you can see view the Steam profiles of the last people you played with.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Can't you just buy the lower grade titanite stuff?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Does anyone know if there's a way to get a second Craftsman's Hammer? Because the idea of driving some fools into the ground as if they were railroad spikes appeals to me. Will using a Bonfire Ascetic on the fire near McDuff's workshop reset the wooden chests?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Haeleus posted:

Nope, one of the nice things about co-oping is that if you successfully complete the session you get your humanity back. My general tactic if I'm hollowed is to drop my sign in front of the boss, help somebody else beat it, get my humanity back, then summon my own bros to help me fight it. It's a really awesome feeling of give and take. :unsmith:

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
I ran into some giant bug thing in the Gutter, I killed but it didn't really do anything, just stood there. Did I mess something up by killing it?

And holy poo poo Black Gulch might as well be named "gently caress You".

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

neetengie posted:

The Cling Ring should be in the metal chest outside the Cathedral of Blue, under a different name of course.

Fuckity hell, how did I miss that. :mad:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Does anyone know if there's a way to get a second Craftsman's Hammer? Because the idea of driving some fools into the ground as if they were railroad spikes appeals to me. Will using a Bonfire Ascetic on the fire near McDuff's workshop reset the wooden chests?

Im pretty certain ascetics reset chests, yes.

I also really like that hammer's move set, it's deceptively fast.

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

I ran into some giant bug thing in the Gutter, I killed but it didn't really do anything, just stood there. Did I mess something up by killing it?

Its farts heal poison I believe but degrade equipment.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I'm pretty sure that thing only exists to explain where those bug things you kill in Earthen Peak come from. Doesn't explain how they got there or why though.

And yeah Black Gulch/Gutter is horrible horrible horrible. Right after beating the Flexile Sentry I decided I wanted to explore the hole, so that segment was my first lord soul area. Terrible loving idea. Never again. I got through it but it was horribly miserable and I didn't even get anything cool out of going there early.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 28, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

I mean admittedly not all Katanas are that great, contrary to Hollywood ninja-magic and otaku lore.

But real Damascus steel is pretty tough poo poo. Folding metal "like a sandwich or something" is how you make it pretty strong, especially if you have poor iron like what they were working with or whatever.

Where'd Hanzo come from? Yer watching too much Kill Bill.

Sydin posted:

So it makes sense they would have a lower durability and have to be repaired more vs other swords.

Yeah I guess that makes sense.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 28, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

IIRC it heals poison while doing corrosion to armor and rings.

Alkydere posted:

If it was in a Metal Chest it won't respawn with an ascetic, wooden ones do though.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Spincut posted:

I'm so in love with this game (even more than DS1? Possibly?). I'm trying to do things blind and I have a weird janky build that's part hexer, part sorcerer, part Macedude...? Whatever, I'm a guy wearing a skirt, wielding a mace, and occasionally throwing soul arrows at people, I'm having fun. :v:

Hey mace, hexer buddy. I'm also using dual maces as my weapon of choice. Swap out for chime/staff depending on what the situation calls for. Been really effective and powerful so far, though I think you are further along than I am.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Im pretty certain ascetics reset chests, yes.

I also really like that hammer's move set, it's deceptively fast.

neetengie posted:

If it was in a Metal Chest it won't respawn with an ascetic, wooden ones do though.

Wooden chests respawn with ascetics? :getin:

bonerstorm
Jul 26, 2009

:|

Alexander DeLarge posted:

According to a post on NeoGAF, the PC version is good.

Unfortunately for people expecting something over 60FPS, the game is locked at 60 due to engine limitations. It also supports resolutions higher than 1080P so I look forward to playing this on my 4K monitor.

I'm trying to get some confirmation from my sources that have the game and are playing the game right now according to my Steam Friends. The fact that they're not going in and out of game is good because they're not crashing it seems. Don't know whether they're embargoed or not but I'll try to ask the hard questions for you guys, off the record but as I said, they're playing the according to the Steam Community and have 5 hours logged so far.

I haven't crashed one single time, the game runs perfect. No hiccups, crashes, weird issues when alt-tabbing out of the game, whereas other games I have issues with randomly.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I've been sitting in the Servant Quarters with the bell ring on for 5 minutes and haven't gotten any sort of PVP, do I have to be in the bell place to get summoned?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Haeleus posted:

Another noob question: do I have to be human to drop a soapstone and help someone? Not sure how multiplayer is supposed to work, so far my soapstone has been greyed out.

Co-op is a great way to make yourself human, which wouldn't work if you couldn't! So no!

Helping others is a great way to humanize yourself, such that you can then receive help in return!

There are lots of areas you can't put your sign down, so you were probably in one of those. Like Majula, or certain connecting or hidden areas or boss areas.

Usually right near a bonfire is a very popular location.

Internet Kraken posted:

Except that's not the case at all? In Dark Souls you could get the basic upgrade materials for easier than in this game. You could easily get several pieces of gear to a decent level, it was only upgrading them fully that was costly. In this, unless you got to a SPECIFIC AREA, you can't upgrade more than one or two weapons simply because you'll be limited on the basic titanite materials. Really, when I found a shotel I decided I wanted to use it, but wasn't able to do so until recently. The reason being I had no basic titanite and Harvest Valley/Earthen Peak is the only way to get significant amounts of it. Since I went in blind, I did that area last and thus spent a ton of time unable to use the weapon I wanted.

It doesn't take that long to get to harvest valley? :shrug:

You're probably like one of those people who have a +6 longsword in Blight Town and you're wondering where you can find more titanite.

Dude you can get all the way to Harvest Valley with like a +3 weapon.

You guys have fogotten how to not min/max games.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 28, 2014

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Fat_Cow posted:

I've been sitting in the Servant Quarters with the bell ring on for 5 minutes and haven't gotten any sort of PVP, do I have to be in the bell place to get summoned?

Is the Covenant icon, next to your health bar, glowing? If it's not, you're not in an area that you can be summoned from.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Fat_Cow posted:

The covenant sigil next to your health bar will shimmer if it's active. You don't need to be in the belfry, but I think you need to be human.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Took me three tries but I finally got that smelter demon down! Summoning a magic sunbro who actually knew to avoid that AoE attack helped a lot I think.

Seriously the first two people I summoned must have been trying him for the first time cause they didnt have the sense to back away and died instantly.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gyoru posted:

http://imgur.com/a/Ui7pu

While ingame, open Steam Overlay and click View Players. Go the the Recent Games tab and you can see view the Steam profiles of the last people you played with.

Good to know, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Logan 5 posted:

Took me three tries but I finally got that smelter demon down! Summoning a magic sunbro who actually knew to avoid that AoE attack helped a lot I think.

Seriously the first two people I summoned must have been trying him for the first time cause they didnt have the sense to back away and died instantly.

This is both the magic and the frustration of dark souls co-op.

I haven't bothered trying voice chat yet because I'm worried that all the silent co-op experiences and subtle communication through gestures will be ruined by "ur gay"