Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
And Trent Reznor had a cat named Fuckchop, which is about the best cat name ever.

Now here's some funny dead people names.

Gay Hitler!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Now the only question is if this is the same person as Dr. Gay Hitler, son of George Washington Hitler, of Pickaway, Ohio.

Finisher1
Feb 21, 2008

I saw someone tagged in a Facebook post by the name of Phranny. That's not just a cute nickname the poster gave her either - her profile page has her listed under that name too. I guess Franny is a pretty normal name, albeit a bit dated, but Phranny? Seriously?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Finisher1 posted:

I saw someone tagged in a Facebook post by the name of Phranny. That's not just a cute nickname the poster gave her either - her profile page has her listed under that name too. I guess Franny is a pretty normal name, albeit a bit dated, but Phranny? Seriously?

It's the type of Franny you use to make free long-distance phone calls.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
From the excellent Futility Closet blog:

quote:

"The taking of the United States census, now nearly completed, has brought to light some curious specimens of given names. A man in Illinois has five children, who have been christened Imprimis, Finis, Appendix, Addendum, and Erratum. In Smythe County, Virginia, a Mr. Elmadoras Sprinkle has called his two sons Myrtle Ellmore and Onyx Curwen, and his six daughters Memphis Tappan, Empress Vandalia, Tatnia Zain, Okeno Molette, Og Wilt, and Wintosse Emmah. The great number of persons surnamed Sprinkle in that county is given as the excuse for these extraordinary names."

– Notes and Queries, Dec. 10, 1870

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Rosie Wood.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Black guy at my job has the initials of K.K.K. and it cracks me up everytime he has to initial anything.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a few.

ED-E My Love
Feb 26, 2014

The cutest lil' eyebot in the Wasteland
Oh my god, the last three pages of this thread killed me. Holy gently caress.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Haruharuharuko posted:

Black guy at my job has the initials of K.K.K. and it cracks me up everytime he has to initial anything.

My white cousin's initials are K.K.K. I'm not entirely sure what my uncle was thinking. Ok, so our last name starts with a K, we're going to give her a traditional family middle name that starts with K, and then name her after Great Aunt Kate? Sounds great!

Edit: more from Futility Closet

quote:

The Rev. Ralph William Lyonel Tollemache-Tollemache (1826–1895) got a bit carried away in naming his children:

1. Sir Lyonel Felix Carteret Eugene Tollemache
2. Florence Caroline Artemesia
3. Evelyne Clementina Wentworth Cornelia Maude
4. Granville Grey Marchmont Manners Plantagenet
5. Marchmont Murray Grasett Reginald Tollemache
6. Dora Viola
7. Mabel Helmingham Ethel Huntingtower Beatrice Blazonberrie Evangeline Vise de Lou de Orellana Plantagenet Toedmag Saxon
8. Lyonesse Matilda Dora Ida Agnes Ernestine Curson Paulet Wilbraham Joyce Eugénie Bentley Saxonia Dysart Plantagenet
9. Lyulph Ydwallo Odin Nestor Egbert Lyonel Toedmag Hugh Erchenwyne Saxon Esa Cromwell Orma Nevill Dysart Plantagenet
10. Lyona Decima Veroica Esyth Undine Cyssa Hylda Rowena Adela Thyra Ursuala Ysabel Blanche Lelias Dysart Plantagenet
11. Leo Quintus Tollemache-Tollemache de Orellana Plantagenet
12. Lyonella Fredegunda Cuthberga Ethelswytha Ideth Ysabel Grace Monica de Orellana Plantagenet
13. Lyonetta Edith Regina Valentine Myra Polwarth Avelina Phillipa Violantha de Orellana Plantagenet
14. Leone Sextus Denys Oswolf Fraudatifilius Tollemache-Tollemache de Orellana Plantagenet
15. Lyunulph Cospatrick Bruce Berkeley Jermyn Tullibardine Petersham de Orellana Dysart Plantagenet

Lyulph’s name forms an acronym, LYONEL THE SECOND.

HelloIAmYourHeart has a new favorite as of 02:02 on Apr 25, 2014

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!
What was wrong with Dora Viola to not get a super special long name? :ohdear:

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
The English commentators pronounced Butzhammer just as you'd imagine (butts hammer).

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Istari posted:

The English commentators pronounced Butzhammer just as you'd imagine (butts hammer).

The correct pronunciation is more or less that, but with a German accent.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I am holding a file for someone with the first name Racial.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Lotish posted:

I'm guessing you have a racial profile?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

:vince:

There is a family who made up a first name for their daughter, complete with weird spelling, so that it rhymed with her last name. I don't want to put the real name here but it's like Nolynn Folan.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Lotish posted:

Is it at least pronounced "Rachel"?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

sweeperbravo posted:

There is a family who made up a first name for their daughter, complete with weird spelling, so that it rhymed with her last name. I don't want to put the real name here but it's like Nolynn Folan.

I went to primary school with a boy whose first name was Matty (not Matt or Matthew), which rhymed with his surname. A classroom full of 7-year-olds pretty quickly figured out that it also rhymed with 'fatty' and 'tatty' (slang for breast). He was chubby and a total mamma's boy, so the class made good use of these rhymes.

ms_hyena
Oct 10, 2012
edit for accidental repost

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The correct pronunciation is more or less that, but with a German accent.

Yeah butt is actually an english surname also. For instance http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicky_Butt

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Is it at least pronounced "Rachel"?

I wish I knew, but I was just doing a termination since she hadn't attended class. I never had a chance to hear her name spoken.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Bravo.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
At work, an Aaron but spelled Ahren.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

jojoinnit posted:

That's a common German/Jewish spelling of that name.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Was watching an episode of "The First 48" and one of the people they arrested was a teen named "Debanair."

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Saw this on one of the more amusing Twtter accounts I follow.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

jojoinnit posted:

That reminds me of a guy I went to college with. His name was Aaron, but everyone, teachers and staff included, called him Beamer as he was a tremendous Star Trek dork. This was largely because he felt that if you didn't pronounce it as Aaaaaaaaron then you were calling him Erin, which is a girl's name.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

stubblyhead posted:

That reminds me of a guy I went to college with. His name was Aaron, but everyone, teachers and staff included, called him Beamer as he was a tremendous Star Trek dork. This was largely because he felt that if you didn't pronounce it as Aaaaaaaaron then you were calling him Erin, which is a girl's name.
Aaron, you say? Star Trek, you say?

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Most everyone here says "Aaron" and "Erin" the same, but my boyfriend, who is from New York, swears there is a difference and that he says them differently. :shrug:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Hummingbirds posted:

Most everyone here says "Aaron" and "Erin" the same, but my boyfriend, who is from New York, swears there is a difference and that he says them differently. :shrug:

They're almost the same to me, but I deliberately pronounce Erin with an "Air," so it kind of sounds like "errand." The "y" sound is still faintly there when I say Aaron but it's a lot more subtle. It's hard to explain.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Hummingbirds posted:

I'm from Colorado and I say them differently? :shrug: The first sound in Erin is like the word 'air', where Aaron is more of an 'ehr' sound.

Content: There is a woman who comes through my store with the name Lacie Whyte. I wonder if she married into it, but it makes me giggle like an immature schoolgirl.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Hummingbirds posted:

Here in Australia, they're completely different. Aaron begins with a sound like the A in 'cat', and Erin begins with a sound like the E in 'keg'.
As a child, I was highly amused every time I saw an American film with a boy called Erin.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

gamingCaffeinator posted:

I'm from Colorado and I say them differently? :shrug: The first sound in Erin is like the word 'air', where Aaron is more of an 'ehr' sound.

Content: There is a woman who comes through my store with the name Lacie Whyte. I wonder if she married into it, but it makes me giggle like an immature schoolgirl.

I'm from Michigan, and most people here would pronounce air like ehr. But we've all been over this derail before, so instead I'll mention that tonight my GF had dinner with a friend whose name is "Petar". Pronounced just like Peter. Probably common in other countries, but not in the US.

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.
With that one I would assume he pronounces it like Peter to make it easier for English speakers. He's probably of Balkan descent.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The way the GF told me, his grandparents are Serbian, which explains the unusual spelling, apparently. They had the conversation because nobody here in the US ever pronounces her very German name, Anneliese, correctly on the first go.

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.
Woman legally got her name changed to "Sexy"

Man in Florida named Eddie Cocaine, arrested for cocaine possession

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Guess what Donald Popadick was arrested for today.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
I've been lucky enough to grow up with mostly normal named people. I've known a Summer, but that's not all that unusual. My favourite is Ringo Golden-Brown. I've also spoken to someone with the surname "Chrzaszcz" which I still have issues pronouncing. Another not horrible surname is Parmagos, which I always say as Parmigiana in my head.

Back on the license plates, I have seen "C8LIN" driving around quite a bit. I like to think that her name is literally spelled Ceightlin.

I have a fairly common first name, however my dad decided to add an extra "n" to the end, which meant that I could never buy mugs or pens with my name on them :( (Roslynn instead of Roslyn).

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Lucrece posted:

I've also spoken to someone with the surname "Chrzaszcz" which I still have issues pronouncing.

I'm curious- Shrash?

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

sweeperbravo posted:

I'm curious- Shrash?

That's a close approximation. The end part of the name is a little more...phleghmy sounding.

Another awesome name that has been mentioned before, I know someone with the surname Danger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

sweeperbravo posted:

I'm curious- Shrash?

It's actually much closer to Showsht, where the 'ow' is like 'cow' not 'show'.