Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I'll need my car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

Ashmole posted:

I broke sub 14's for the first time ever running. I'm not sure if its the altitude of camp casey or the mandatory rucks, but I'm surprised since I gained like 15 lbs since my last pt test. I get to wear that gay little badge now (seriously who wears that).

I want my circle thing, but it would take training of deployment proportions to get me sub 15 let alone sub 14. I estimate I'm gonna need 17'30" of my allotted 17'42" next week.
And I got 77/72/15'46". It must have been my lucky day.

Crazy Mike fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 3, 2014

spash
Nov 24, 2004

Last Autumn, over a period of a week I had 2x laparotomy and a temp. loop ileostomy. I had the ileostomy reversed 8 weeks ago, so I'm all squared away there and resumed running a few weeks ago. Managing about 10mins for 1.5miles, which isn't where I was at before, but will do to pass a fitness test comfortably. Anyway, as a result of all that nonsense I have something called "divarication of recti", which is, to my understanding, where the abdominal muscles separate, creating the impression of a hernia... but it isn't a hernia. Anyway, given the demographic is pregnant women and kids, I'm at a loss of what conditioning I can do to increase muscular strength.

Currently I've resumed doing high rep/low weight circuits that target the back/legs/shoulders, my idea that I should rebuild endurance in the surrounding areas before moving to exercises closer to the core. My question is, does anyone have any suggestion on what I can do to condition and strengthening the upper abdominal muscles, below the rib cage without putting undue stress and pressure on the area?

I will be seeking guidance from a remedial physio in the near future, but if anyone has any suggestions prior to that, I'd be interested to know.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

spash posted:

Last Autumn, over a period of a week I had 2x laparotomy and a temp. loop ileostomy. I had the ileostomy reversed 8 weeks ago, so I'm all squared away there and resumed running a few weeks ago. Managing about 10mins for 1.5miles, which isn't where I was at before, but will do to pass a fitness test comfortably. Anyway, as a result of all that nonsense I have something called "divarication of recti", which is, to my understanding, where the abdominal muscles separate, creating the impression of a hernia... but it isn't a hernia. Anyway, given the demographic is pregnant women and kids, I'm at a loss of what conditioning I can do to increase muscular strength.

Currently I've resumed doing high rep/low weight circuits that target the back/legs/shoulders, my idea that I should rebuild endurance in the surrounding areas before moving to exercises closer to the core. My question is, does anyone have any suggestion on what I can do to condition and strengthening the upper abdominal muscles, below the rib cage without putting undue stress and pressure on the area?

I will be seeking guidance from a remedial physio in the near future, but if anyone has any suggestions prior to that, I'd be interested to know.

Ask in YLLS where they will tell you to ask someone licensed to answer your question.

spash
Nov 24, 2004

yeah and then i can post hourly update photos in my pants with a toilet in the background with the seat up

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
My unit wants to do a PT test immediately after post-deployment block leave (even though we had multiple during deployment).
Part of me wants to be mad because it's loving stupid, the other part doesn't mind because I'm sure I'll get to hear a bunch of fatties who can barely pass their regular pt tests cry when they fail.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
I used to be like "omg no pt test" but now that I'm on active and have been doing them for about 6 years they're such a joke.

Since this is a brag thread, I'm soo close to a 400 DL. I hit 330x3 the other day. 5/3/1 rocks.

Click Beelay
Oct 13, 2011

seconding drinking before gym, seriously you'll be half way through before you start to feel anything (heart rate unaffected afaik so all good) just don't drink beer or baileys or whatever

America is awesome, converting all your weights to imperial makes you feel like a beast

also that 400 deadlift is solid good effort. i thought 150kg (~330lbs) was ok for 5/3/1 and even then it's a bitch, not even close to plateauing

GiP goes hard

e; missed a page

Click Beelay fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 4, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I'm at 295 on my max set 1x5 with starting strength >:-(

My grip is starting to slip (no chalk allowed, of course) I'm tempted to try wrist straps but I'm trying to hold off as long as possible.

Can't loving break 250 on my working set 3x5 for squats. May have to try this 5/3/1. I looked at it briefly and it seemed all over the place

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Christoff posted:

I'm at 295 on my max set 1x5 with starting strength >:-(

My grip is starting to slip (no chalk allowed, of course) I'm tempted to try wrist straps but I'm trying to hold off as long as possible.

Can't loving break 250 on my working set 3x5 for squats. May have to try this 5/3/1. I looked at it briefly and it seemed all over the place

http://www.liftbigeatbig.com/2013/09/hey-when-do-i-use.html

quote:

"When do I use straps/ aren't straps cheating?"

Lifting straps are, without a doubt, one of the leading causes of rectal irritation currently available on the internet. I am not going to get into your perceived ideas of "straps are cheating.” That was already well established in this previous article. Instead, I will discuss when we use them, how we use them, and the reasons for doing so.

Rather than waiting until our hands are destroyed from rough-knurling bars for high rep deadlift or Olympic lifting complexes, we like to throw straps on as part of a training tool. I have literally NEVER seen an athlete's grip suffer or decline when they added straps to their arsenal as an occasional training tool. Straps are useful for double-overhand deadlifts (never mix-grip with straps), snatch complexes (never perform cleans with straps), and snatch & clean pulls. Because these aren't grip exercises, we don't need to worry about our grip becoming exhausted during higher rep sets. We are focusing on other parts of the lifts for multiple reps, including high rep rack pulls, high reps Olympic pulls, upper back strength or hypertrophy work.

Straps help keep our hands fresh for the high-intensity programs we are constantly on, and because our grips are excellent, straps don't hold us back when it comes time to compete. If I were a new lifter, I would save straps for hypertrophic/high rep sets of assistance lifts, and save using straps on competition lifts for at least 6 months, unless your programs state otherwise.

http://www.liftbigeatbig.com/2013/09/3-ways-to-increase-your-deadlift.html

quote:

Because deadlifts aren't my grip training! If you want to increase your grip strength for realsies, you need to start picking up objects that don't want to be picked up by your hands, like stones (This goes back to point #1). Deadlifts are great for many things, but grip strength isn't really one of them. If you want your grip strength to go through the roof, you need to start doing heavy farmer walks, double-overhand deadlifts with axles, hanging from a pullup bar with one hand for as long as possible, etc. Then maybe you can deadlift with straps all you like, instead of crying about how it will ruin your grip strength.
Learn more about strengthening grip in our previous article.

Just get some straps and do something else for grip. Your numbers will get better and your grip will get better independently and then you can be strong.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Yeah get some straps, or check out liquid grip. Your choice, both work great. That article above is also great.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Don't rule out having a lovely barbell. Sure really pronounced knurling is hell on the hands, but that and chalk is all you need.

There are some barbells that I can't pull 360 on and others where 420 triples arent a problem and it's all because of grip surface.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Thanks for that. Seems most the stuff you find online is very against it unless you're doing a 1RM or something. :siren:GRIP STRENGTH!:siren: I'll have to give them a try. Or some of that liquid or eco chalk. Probably do my normal warmup sets and just use them for my final 1x5 set. I'm not doing any crazy high volume/lovely form deadlift crossfit poo poo.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Either way LBEB is an awesome resource for lifting big, and then eating big.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Christoff posted:

Thanks for that. Seems most the stuff you find online is very against it unless you're doing a 1RM or something.

That's because most people on the internet are fuckwits.

Get some straps and enjoy lifting weights without worrying about your grip.

Do you lift overhand or mixed grip? Everyone's different, but if you haven't tried mixed grip then give that a shot.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
pulled 415 for 15 this morning (triples week for 5/3/1), then did a team workout that took 32 minutes to complete (a bunch of body weight stuff and running), then benched 285 for a single. Kinda tough but considering the workout had me do 100x partner pushups, not too shabby

eat shiiiiiit

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 5, 2014

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

elite_garbage_man posted:

pulled 415 for 15 this morning (triples week for 5/3/1), then did a team workout that took 32 minutes to complete (a bunch of body weight stuff and running), then benched 285 for a single. Kinda tough but considering the workout had me do 100x partner pushups, not too shabby

eat shiiiiiit

Is that 15 in a row or broken up in sets? If it was at once, well poo poo. Good work.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
In a row.

mixed grip, chalk, and a belt so according to the internet none of it counted. haha

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

In a row.

mixed grip, chalk, and a belt so according to the internet none of it counted. haha

The internet is dumb. Just go lift. Nice work. What body weight are you at?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Dude McAwesome posted:

That's because most people on the internet are fuckwits.

Get some straps and enjoy lifting weights without worrying about your grip.

Do you lift overhand or mixed grip? Everyone's different, but if you haven't tried mixed grip then give that a shot.

I was doing mixed for a while until I decided to give hook grip an honest go (double overhand) Like it a lot better.

I've gotten this far without a belt I don't think I'll start using one until I'm squatting 300+ and deadlifting 400+. Who knows.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

In a row.

I loving hate that logic. It's not like the loving weight changes or you defy gravity or something.

I hit a double on my old 1RM, probably could have done 3 but I felt like poo poo. I gained about 10-15 lbs since December, going to do a short cut to trim this extra fat though. BEACH SEASON.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Christoff posted:

I was doing mixed for a while until I decided to give hook grip an honest go (double overhand) Like it a lot better.

I've gotten this far without a belt I don't think I'll start using one until I'm squatting 300+ and deadlifting 400+. Who knows.

One of the big reasons I'm so hesitant about hook grip is the whole possible permanent loss of feeling / nerve damage thing kinda inherent to that grip style. That and I'm a gigantic pussy, it's easier doing mixed than working through the feeling of my thumbs being squeezed in a pair of pliers while they're pulling them off.

EDIT: Plus I have a serious love-hate relationship with deadlifts. On one hand you feel like the loving Hulk when you're pulling like half again what anyone else is. On the other I've had two minor disc herniations that thankfully resolved themselves, but also left some lingering lumbar/sciatic pain that likes to pop up at random moments. Most confusingly being it's absence after heavy squats or deadlifts.

Diarrhea Elemental fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Apr 6, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

My lower back pain gets better the more I squat and deadlift :downs: Not factoring in DOMS of course.

I've heard of numbness/nerve issues. The first couple sessions are definitely borderline unbearable. I say give it a shot now before you start pushing more and more weight. I use it for pendlay row and deadlift. Wasn't doing light weight in either when I started, too.

You could just try double overhand with lifting straps?

Have you tried that oddly shaped deadlift bar instead of a barbell?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
3x3x407 lb and 3x3x418 deadlift today. I'm sitting at 188-189 right now so that's all good news to me. My hands are loving wrecked though. Had a callous rip during the warm up sets.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Nice lifts, brother.

I'm sitting at a comfortable 220+ these days.

Jacked and farmer tanned

squatted 325 for reps today, and got 14. Finished the rest of my leg workout, and now I need to rent a HoverRound for the rest of the week. Benching 235 and and dling 440 for reps later this week. Bodyweight pft stuff and running is also improving nicely.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
finished my latest 5/3/1 cycle

last max rep efforts:
bench 235x7
dl 440x11
ohp 145x7
squat* 345x12 while sick as gently caress

notes:
*watched this before my squat session to overcome cold/flu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMakFPW2Dj0

Also hit some new prs for front squat a couple weeks ago 315 for a few double sets. P sure I could hit 350+ for a single.

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 28, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Been hearing a lot of fuss about the 5/3/1 program. I looked at it real quick and it seems a bit intimidating. But I know there's calculators and stuff. I've been doing starting strength with good results but I think it's almost time to switch.

Also tried front squats for the first time a couple weeks ago. They're tough.

What's the preferred grip/form if you're not doing Olympic poo poo? I tried the one with the bent wrist but it was killing my wrist and felt really difficult. Think I prefer the crossed forearms with elbows up instead.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Christoff posted:

Been hearing a lot of fuss about the 5/3/1 program. I looked at it real quick and it seems a bit intimidating. But I know there's calculators and stuff. I've been doing starting strength with good results but I think it's almost time to switch.

What's the preferred grip/form if you're not doing Olympic poo poo? I tried the one with the bent wrist but it was killing my wrist and felt really difficult. Think I prefer the crossed forearms with elbows up instead.

I think strstd.com still does accurate calculations for your 5/3/1 in addition to the whole lift rating poo poo. As far as front squat form goes the main reason why people poo poo on crossed arms is because it compromises your upper back stability, which is a big part of how you hold that much weight on your delts for that long. A decent alternative that I've seen is to loop straps around the bar and hold onto them as far down as your flexibility allows. While you're doing that try to work in wrist flexibility poo poo, one of the best for FS is just having some heavy poo poo racked at the right height and just putting your hands into the traditional FS form while it's chilling there. Treat it like a stretch and just keep working at it until your wrists don't feel like they're breaking.

Plus like 99% of people that start front squatting or oly lifting suffer from the same poo poo where you can't rack it just right to where it's actually on your delts without entirely resting the weight on your wrists, but also not choking you the gently caress out.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Christoff posted:

531 is good. I did it for 8 months and progressed pretty well on it. All you have to know are current 1RM on the three lifts. And by current, within a month or so of starting the program. Just follow the program verbatim and you'll be fine. If you're serious about it, PM me. I have a spreadsheet lying around that does all the work for you.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

holocaust bloopers posted:

531 is good. I did it for 8 months and progressed pretty well on it. All you have to know are current 1RM on the three lifts. And by current, within a month or so of starting the program. Just follow the program verbatim and you'll be fine. If you're serious about it, PM me. I have a spreadsheet lying around that does all the work for you.

Send it to me, I want to look at this "5/3/1" ya'll speak of. Got a little plateau goin' on.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Send it to me, I want to look at this "5/3/1" ya'll speak of. Got a little plateau goin' on.

I'll upload it tomorrow. A plateau is easy.: form fix, eat more, sleep more, take an easy week or two and try for a new PR.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
yesterday1.4 mile ruck to the gym with a 58# ruck

back squat 1min rest, no belt or straps
1x10 45#
1x3 135#
2x1 225
1x1 315
1x1 385
1x1 405

bench 1 min rest
1x3 135
2x1 225
really wasnt feeling it on these warmups. my upper back was pretty smoked from the ruck. attempted 295 and loving failed hard despite hitting 285 pretty easy a couple weeks ago after a crossfit workout. I'm still pretty confident that I can hit 300-315 or more if I'm completely rested.

dl 1 min rest only used a belt for my second attempt at 545
1x3 135
2x1 225
1x1 315
1x1 405
1x1 495
1x1 545 failed the first attempt without a belt. rested a few minutes and tossed on a belt, put on some Slayer, and screamed my head off on the second try and hit this pretty easily.

conditioning workout
8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 w/ 30 sec rest between rounds
double db clean and press 40#
situps
renegade pushup 10# dbs
back squat 135#

Worked with one of the trainers on my power clean technique using a pvc pipe and a 45# barbell.
Right now I can do ugly looking power cleans at225+ lbs. However my technique looks like a dl to a reverse curl.

1.4 mile ruck back home

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 5, 2014

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

It's time to start training for summer swolestice. Yesterday I wanted to see how much I could bench. Turns out I could get one rep at 290. Surprised the hell out of me considering I failed at 275 a few weeks ago. Considering my personal best was 295 a few years ago, I'm going to make the attempt to get up to 3 plates in the next 6 weeks. I typically do 5x5 on the bench from 225-245. Today I got it up to 245-265.

I'm also thinking I need to get back to doing squats and deadlifts again, even if my numbers are worse than bench press and I have to wear a belt. My back hurt after 1 squat at 225 and I was like WTF?

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Crazy Mike posted:

I'm also thinking I need to get back to doing squats and deadlifts again, even if my numbers are worse than bench press and I have to wear a belt. My back hurt after 1 squat at 225 and I was like WTF?

Could just be DOMS or the pump putting pressure on your back in a way you're not used to. I'm not a doctor or anything.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Signed back up for a gym today; I was doing really great last year, until I hurt my knee again and basically slid back into civilian fatness.

Honestly I'm probably just going to start up on Starting Strength again unless someone has anything better going on for someone starting over again. It's boring, but it's nice to track my poo poo and see improvements week to week and rip my leg hairs off doing dead lifts.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Don't be in a rush to chase numbers. The first 6 months to a year, gains come quick. Just practice good fundamental lifting and enjoy it. Making the gym a fun place is the trick to keeping it a hobby.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Making the gym a fun place is the trick to keeping it a hobby.

Yoga pants make the gym a fun place for me.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

pkells posted:

Yoga pants make the gym a fun place for me.

If I ever feel like spending money and wearing something besides army pt shorts to the gym, I want stars and stripes zubas and yin yang covered tank tops.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Don't be in a rush to chase numbers. The first 6 months to a year, gains come quick. Just practice good fundamental lifting and enjoy it. Making the gym a fun place is the trick to keeping it a hobby.

Nah, I just want to not become a fat person. I'm not looking to hit numbers or anything.

The fat acceptance movement is disgusting and I need to be able to sit there and say "at least I'm not fat".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Nah, I just want to not become a fat person. I'm not looking to hit numbers or anything.

The fat acceptance movement is disgusting and I need to be able to sit there and say "at least I'm not fat".

Lifting a few times a week plus cardio and eating mostly decent is more than enough to not be a fatty fat fat. You'll. Be good.