Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

DickEmery posted:

Mourinho is a bad choice because he'd want to be bigger than the club but van Gaal flouncing because he has a bigger ego than the Special oval office is a perfect fit.

It's going to be a train wreck and I can't wait now.

I've never said Mourinho would be a bad choice because of his ego. He'd be fairly good at ripping the team apart, and then not leave anything behind worth managing after 3 years.

Van Gaal brings through youth teamers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
In case anyone's curious how Carragher and Neville view this weekend's events, have a clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdmxV-7QvJ8

EDIT: To get rid of the time stamp. Neville was spot on about Liverpool's aimless play.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 28, 2014

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Mcckay in?

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Eric Cantonese posted:

Zidane is a classy dude who doesn't undermine people to better himself. Giggs is not. Look at those brows of his. They scream "underminer".

is everton playing today??

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Eric Cantonese posted:

Van Gaal has been a consistently successful manager. I don't want him at Man-U.

He was very successful with a once in a generation crop of Dutch players at Ajax.

He took Bobby Robson's Barcelona team to a couple of La Liga titles and won the Bundesiga on easy mode.
At both those clubs when it went wrong it went wrong huge, he was sacked with the teams in Moyesian positions.

As good as his current stint with the Dutch national team is, he hosed it up before.

Of course he's better than Moyes, but I just don't think he's the magician everyone makes him out to be.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Eric Cantonese posted:

In case anyone's curious how Carragher and Neville view this weekend's events, have a clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdmxV-7QvJ8

EDIT: To get rid of the time stamp. Neville was spot on about Liverpool's aimless play.

Haha Neville calls Mourinho a big gay manager.

"Big game manager"

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

DickEmery posted:

He was very successful with a once in a generation crop of Dutch players at Ajax.

He took Bobby Robson's Barcelona team to a couple of La Liga titles and won the Bundesiga on easy mode.
At both those clubs when it went wrong it went wrong huge, he was sacked with the teams in Moyesian positions.

As good as his current stint with the Dutch national team is, he hosed it up before.

Of course he's better than Moyes, but I just don't think he's the magician everyone makes him out to be.

He created the current Bayern side. He has a track record of successfully rebuilding teams before the inevitable meltdown.

If you don't think Van Gaal is a great manager you're deluded. He's not going to be a long term option, he's going to go in there, tear poo poo up, lay down good foundations, then have a huge meltdown after which a new manager comes in and doesn't have to deal with the legacy of Fergusson.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Spangly A posted:

yes definitely keep a coach who is reported to have been insubordinate to his last manager, everyone will clamour for that job.

Oh please, name me ONE TIME where Giggs betrayed the trust of someone close to him

Bagpuss_UK
May 22, 2001

(NOT BAGPUSS)
Calling it:

Liverpool: draw v Palace, win v Newcastle
Chelsea: win v Norwich, win v Cardiff
City: draw v Everton, win v Villa, win v West Ham

All 3 teams end on 84 points, finishes City/Pool/Chelsea on goal difference alone

Xbox One
Apr 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 487 days!
that's a nice table, good post

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Bagpuss_UK posted:

Calling it:

Liverpool: draw v Palace, win v Newcastle
Chelsea: win v Norwich, win v Cardiff
City: draw v Everton, win v Villa, win v West Ham

All 3 teams end on 84 points, finishes City/Pool/Chelsea on goal difference alone

Everton are essentially out of the CL spots and will offer only modest resistance. City are going to win out, book it.

Xbox One
Apr 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 487 days!

cheese posted:

Everton are essentially out of the CL spots and will offer only modest resistance. City are going to win out, book it.

Everton will have a go at City, too many players with something to prove and a manager that gives a poo poo and can draw up a good game plan means they will come out flying. No Mirallas is bad news, and I think city will be able to handle the pressure.

I'm super excited to watch Coleman and baines against what I assume will be Clichy and Zabs, and Barkley vs Toure will be good as well. Ultimately I think city's forwards being healthy again will prove too much, and city will take it 1-2. But 1-1 wouldn't surprise me.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
You forget that City have newly poo poo centerback Vincent Kompany and famously poo poo keeper Joe Hart.

Xbox One
Apr 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 487 days!

Smeef posted:

You forget that City have newly poo poo centerback Vincent Kompany and famously poo poo keeper Joe Hart.

Kompany at least knows lukakus Belgian magic tricks and hart has been ace lately. As long as it's not so overcast and gray such that Naismith turns translucent, I think the CBS can handle things.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Hey, I was at the office today so I couldn't watch the game but I heard that Arsenal were cool and good. Is this correct?

Xbox One
Apr 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 487 days!

double sulk posted:

Hey, I was at the office today so I couldn't watch the game but I heard that Arsenal were cool and good. Is this correct?

Incorrect, they scored off a flukey free kick from a soft foul, giroud shot twice right at the keeper (a Full Giroud) and Ozil scored the rebound from an offside position, and Giroud had a ball bounce in off his head but I am pretty sure he did it accidentally. Poocastle Pooshited is uncool and bad.

The only good part of the game was when Yaya Sanogo came in and some poster did a racism and thought it was Abu Diaby.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Ozil and Ramsey looked good.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

double sulk posted:

Their midfield had almost complete control all day, they lacked a bit of class in the finishes, but what else is new.

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage

Spangly A posted:

I've never said Mourinho would be a bad choice because of his ego. He'd be fairly good at ripping the team apart, and then not leave anything behind worth managing after 3 years.

Chelsea got to the CL final the year after Mourinho left, and ended second in the league, won the FA cup the year after and the league after that.

Real Madrid is doing pretty well in the CL semi finals the year after he left, and have still a chance of winning the league.

Pretty impressive for teams ripped apart with nothing worth managing left.

Puseklepp fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 29, 2014

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections

Puseklepp posted:

Chelsea got to the CL final the year after Mourinho left, and ended second in the league, won the FA cup the year after and the league after that.

Real Madrid is doing pretty well in the CL semi finals the year after he left, and have still a chance of winning the league.

Inter though...

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Puseklepp posted:

Porto did pretty great too.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

ayb posted:

Inter though...

Thats Rafa's fault, not Jose's

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

and if we're arguing managers are responsible for the team the year after they left, Fergie was the worst manager ever.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

double sulk posted:

They were playing against Newcastle, who are tanking so shamelessly it's almost an art.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
As of the Swansea game, Sunderland have no longer scored the more goals at SJP as Newcastle in this calendar year. Now it's the same number.

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"

MrL_JaKiri posted:

As of the Swansea game, Sunderland have no longer scored the more goals at SJP as Newcastle in this calendar year. Now it's the same number.

That's nothing, City once went from New Years day to the end of the season without scoring a single goal at home, somehow we survived. It was pretty poo poo to watch, many never made it away from the concourse bars...

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Spangly A posted:

yes definitely keep a coach who is reported to have been insubordinate to his last manager, everyone will clamour for that job.

Oh come on. As if any decent coach wouldn't end up on the outs with loving Moyes.

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

PirateBob posted:

Oh come on. As if any decent coach wouldn't end up on the outs with loving Moyes.

that's part of it, but there's an old boys mentality personified by giggs

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Spangly A posted:

He left Real Madrid in reasonably good shape, with mostly young players, almost no one over thirty. That core of players (since the new signings haven't played as much) have Madrid second in the league, Cup winners, and in the CL semifinals.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Dudley posted:

and if we're arguing managers are responsible for the team the year after they left, Fergie was the worst manager ever.

Yes, Fergie left a poo poo team behind him. The players could not give a gently caress. That is exactly why it needs to be ripped apart.

Fucks sake lads I'm surprised some of you can tie your own shoes.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Shearer thinks Steve Bruce should become Man utd manager because he knows the club and I agree with him

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jose posted:

Shearer thinks Steve Bruce should become Man utd manager because he knows the club and I agree with him

Instead of a cv he should send in a video of him getting distracted during a press conference by a Rooney goal on the tv.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
Good advice, Alan Shearer. The board will definitely consider this.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Townsend has picked up an injury and might not go to the world cup

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Pedro De Heredia posted:

He left Real Madrid in reasonably good shape, with mostly young players, almost no one over thirty. That core of players (since the new signings haven't played as much) have Madrid second in the league, Cup winners, and in the CL semifinals.
Madrid are one of the richest clubs and most popular clubs on the planet, they were in excellent shape before he even got there. By the time he'd left, he'd alienated almost everyone involved in the club and the team were if anything considered to have underachieved given what they had available over those three years.

That, and he spunked 30m Euros on Coentrao.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jose posted:

Those two statements should work independently imo

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Jose posted:

No Wilshere, no Townsend? Squad's shaping up nicely boys!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Jose posted:

- England fans

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

- England fans

I think about this banner and the Everton vs City game this weekend and it makes me sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"

Jose posted:

Was he going anyway? Surely Sterling, Ox and Lallana were all ahead of him?

• Locked thread