Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Manatee Cannon posted:

As to the rest, I wasn't trying to force you to agree with me but I apologize if that's how I came off. But you really don't need to take an optimal path or know much anything for things to work out. Yeah, it doesn't allow you to upgrade everything you find (and I don't think it should, which is likely were we differ) but you do have the leeway to use more than one if you so choose, or even drop one you've sunk upgrades into without losing much. The materials are definitely there if you look for them.
So why then can't I find enough stuff to upgrade even half my gear to a reasonable level even while reading spoilers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The fat lizards chilling at the bottom of a cave are substantially more dangerous than the giant flaming demon I fought an hour ago.

:darksouls:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Welp, hunted the claw manikins to extinction with the jester's hat, prisoner's tatters and covetous gold serpent ring +1 and only got one claw to drop :negative:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Chariot is a really fun fight, wow. Went through with a phantom buddy who showed me what to do and we aced it! It's fun clambering for safety and kicking the skeletons out. I only saw one red spirit outside the door though. Wasn't everyone seeing three?

Also I blew all my titanite shards on a mace and not the morningstar, gently caress.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 28, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

So why then can't I find enough stuff to upgrade even half my gear to a reasonable level even while reading spoilers?

Are you using normal armor that requires titanite for upgrades? I used the Drangleic set plus a normal helmet for a long time, wasn't thinking about armor. Yeah if you're trying to upgrade a full set instead of one piece there really isn't enough to go around.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

RBA Starblade posted:

The Chariot is a really fun fight, wow. Went through with a phantom buddy who showed me what to do and we aced it! It's fun clambering for safety and kicking the skeletons out.

After I got done with Mr. Bone's Wild Ride I did not even go to the bonfire that was past it and immediately ran back out and set down a summon sign. This continued for like four or five hours into the morning. IT NEVER ENDS!

TheNightReaver
Sep 7, 2011

Go fart with the angels.
Well, found my first hacker in Belfry Luna, a dude with an infinite range mace that always staggers you with every single hit.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm impressed with the ENB, but I might be even more impressed with the cestus. I heard they were good, but they have far surpassed how well I thought they would do. Punching the Skeleton Lords to death was great.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm impressed with the ENB, but I might be even more impressed with the cestus. I heard they were good, but they have far surpassed how well I thought they would do. Punching the Skeleton Lords to death was great.

Yeah, caesti are really great pretty much forever, especially once you get your str/dex to 40 to max the scaling damage. And it's a lot harder to overstay your welcome since you're constantly having to watch out to find an opening in the first place.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
The Cestus and discovering how to power stance makes me irked that titanite is hard to get, because I really want to experiment more with those weapons instead of just relying on my trusty clubs.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

nftyw posted:

The Cestus and discovering how to power stance makes me irked that titanite is hard to get, because I really want to experiment more with those weapons instead of just relying on my trusty clubs.

Getting the titanite vendor gives you 10 more shards to buy and the blacksmith restocked 30 when she showed up. Then you just go through the next 2 bosses and you can unlock infusing and an infinite stock of large shards.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Are there any solutions I'm overlooking to staying within a soul memory range of your buddy for a first playthrough? I often find myself not wanting to spend souls so I can stay sort of close to him. Has the range been documented yet? How does it behave? Does the range get wider as you spend more souls?

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Zaphod42 posted:

This is both the magic and the frustration of dark souls co-op.

I haven't bothered trying voice chat yet because I'm worried that all the silent co-op experiences and subtle communication through gestures will be ruined by "ur gay"

Honestly the voice chat isn't that bad, people rarely use it and when I have heard it it's been either very quiet or people being goofy and making incomprehensible sounds to themselves. Far and away people prefer gestures or those skulls that say things.

This could probably change though.

HellCopter posted:

You could also have summoned the NPC phantom Lucatiel. She could probably solo the thing herself.

This is a joke right? Cause when I summoned her for this the first time she was worse than useless.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I got the PC version and recorded a couple of sessions of my run. Here's an edited version (in two parts) of what ridiculous or notable stuff happened. I only went thru NG once on PS3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFoA5ljieOo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVO8zpsl0jw

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Alkydere posted:

HAHAHA! I finally figured out the "trick" to Ruins Sentinels! It's so stupidly obvious I feel stupid for not thinking of it earlier.

In short: DON'T SUMMON TWO PEOPLE! The health and defense bonus the trio have when there's three people are why they're so tough. I summoned only one guy, and between us the first Sentinel only got a single swing in before we knocked it down to half health. The Sentinels with two people might as well be made of paper compared to the Sentinels with three people.

Ruins Sentinels are pretty easy if you have a Tower Shield (or a phantom with one). Two-hand the shield, use the strike to get a Sentinel's attention (greatshield strikes seem to act like an MMO taunt), and then just sit there getting wailed upon for no damage and only a small amount of stamina while the other guys murder the Sentinel :black101:

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I swear guys, Lucatiel totally hulked up and wrecked all the bosses! Maybe that calibration is only on the PS3? Because original Lucatiel was less than useless. Now she has more health than the boss does.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Which bonfire respawns Covetous Demon and the claw manikins? Lower Earthen Peak or the one back in Harvest Valley?

Logan 5 posted:

This is a joke right? Cause when I summoned her for this the first time she was worse than useless.

She usually tanks the hell out of anything I summon her against.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
Can dual weild'd fist weapons be power stanced?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Considering how hard it is to get Twinkling Titanite early on, is there another staff I should use for early to mid game Hexing? Or should I just switch to Miracles/Sorcery until then

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Filthy Haiku posted:

Can dual weild'd fist weapons be power stanced?

Very yes.

Volt Catfish posted:

Considering how hard it is to get Twinkling Titanite early on, is there another staff I should use for early to mid game Hexing? Or should I just switch to Miracles/Sorcery until then

Dark infused archdrake staff/chime work well for hexing til you get the high end stuff.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

HellCopter posted:

I swear guys, Lucatiel totally hulked up and wrecked all the bosses! Maybe that calibration is only on the PS3? Because original Lucatiel was less than useless. Now she has more health than the boss does.

Yeah, she's beefed up on the PC too. Had no problem getting her through Smelter this time.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Which bonfire respawns Covetous Demon and the claw manikins? Lower Earthen Peak or the one back in Harvest Valley?

She usually tanks the hell out of anything I summon her against.

She's awful against Lost Sinner, it's not hard for her to die if you aren't careful. The wharf boss she could solo easily, assuming she doesn't fall off the pier and drown or get stuck on furniture and never enter the boss room.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If you're a meelee character, don't bother figuring out a way to defeat all the flame salamanders in the forest and loot their treasure. It is not loving worth it at all.

Its just a goddamn flame quartz ring :argh:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
They do have a chance to drop any of the fireball pyromancies, though.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

I was trying to figure out the keyboard and mouse controls during the intro area, because it's still in the controller thing, and I rolled myself right off a cliff into some water. RIP my first death in my first Dark Souls game. The keyboard bindings are real strange. Like you have to be sprinting to jump, and sprint is space and jump is F. Takes some getting used to, I guess.

Also those messages people leave around are good, but I spend too much time running from one to the other to see what people wrote, instead of actually playing the game. And then I got to those first two big statue guys and died again. Can you just run past them or do you need to fight them with your lovely starter weapon?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

derriere demons posted:

I was trying to figure out the keyboard and mouse controls during the intro area, because it's still in the controller thing, and I rolled myself right off a cliff into some water. RIP my first death in my first Dark Souls game. The keyboard bindings are real strange. Like you have to be sprinting to jump, and sprint is space and jump is F. Takes some getting used to, I guess.

Also those messages people leave around are good, but I spend too much time running from one to the other to see what people wrote, instead of actually playing the game. And then I got to those first two big statue guys and died again. Can you just run past them or do you need to fight them with your lovely starter weapon?

You don't have to fight those guys now, but any blunt weapon will wreck them. The more typical first area is back behind the bonfire in Mejula.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Internet Kraken posted:

If you're a meelee character, don't bother figuring out a way to defeat all the flame salamanders in the forest and loot their treasure. It is not loving worth it at all.

Its just a goddamn flame quartz ring :argh:

There should be a greatshield down there too that goes up to 100% magic block with infuse.

e: Actually I think the above holds true for every element for that particular shield.

mirarant fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 29, 2014

Mia Antifa
Sep 12, 2011

nazi punks fuck off

Sanctum posted:

The real lovely thing about the rat covenant is not only do the enemies not attack the host of the world, but everything you kill is in their world so you aren't even making real progress. There's no incentive to do anything other than kill the host or die quickly. I was summoned by a crappy shield-stalling player who was constantly retreating behind enemies, I cleared out just about every rat before I finally killed him... and then returned to my world only to have to clear them all again. :sigh:

Just getting summoned is a victory for them in how they can force you to waste time killing enemies in another player's world. Or you can both do a mexican standoff since there is no incentive for the summoned player to progress in the level.

I believe if you make it through the fog wall while invading in the rat covenant you technically "win" the invasion. On the PS3 version I was summoned in the Doors Of Pharros, and made it through the fog wall. After a load screen I was returned to my world on the other side of the fog, lit the bonfire, and was free to fight the boss without having gone through the area.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Hosts are being such jerks at the moment. I keep being summoned to kill wraiths, then sent back to my own world. :mad:

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Oh my god the Twinblade :getin:

This thing is sick. The wide, rapid moveset can hit multiple grouped enemies at once and it seems to do a ton of poise damage. I can't infuse it yet, but I imagine the quick buildup from Bleed or even Poison will make it an amazing PvP weapon. Big downside is that it wears down rapidly since every swipe is going to smash into a wall about 5 times.

Also, I seem to be in the minority but the Dark Souls Two world just plain works for me. It's creepy as hell - Lordran felt like no one had lived there in ages. Drangelic feels like everything died. Everything is rotting and gnarled, Harvest Valley is literally a poison factory :stonk:. All the friendly NPCs are quietly desperate, it almost feels like the "story" is about them, not the land itself.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fire Orb's aoe is tiny as hell.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
What idiot named them Skeleton Lords instead of Skeletonnes

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Something weird happened to me twice now. First I thought it was my controller bugging out. I was blocking constantly even without the button pressed, and there was an icon of a shield surrounded by a red box under the HUD health bars. Quitting and reloading fixed it. But now it happened again, this time with the dash button, and a new icon appeared of a running man, same red box. Is this an in-game effect? And if so, how do I turn it off?

Edit: VVV You'd think by now I'd know to read the drat manual. Must have pressed X on my keyboard by accident. Thanks.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 29, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Something weird happened to me twice now. First I thought it was my controller bugging out. I was blocking constantly even without the button pressed, and there was an icon of a shield surrounded by a red box under the HUD health bars. Quitting and reloading fixed it. But now it happened again, this time with the dash button, and a new icon appeared of a running man, same red box. Is this an in-game effect? And if so, how do I turn it off?

It's a keybind, try pressing M, that's what it is for me.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Was there a big-rear end patch released? Steam is downloading over 8 gigs now.

And without reading any of this thread for fear of spoilers I loving love this game. Sure it looks like hot loving garbage every so often and the new block/dodge mechanics are a bit hard to get used to but I love the game world, the scope of everything, the new leveling system, and the fact that it actually encourages you to experiment with weapon upgrades and try different things instead of being afraid to burn any mats at all until you looked up in a guide what the best weapon was. It's not a perfect game by any means but the old crafting system was one of the things I disliked the most about Demon's and Dark 1 so I'm glad they've remedied it.

Now back to playing. :tipshat:

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
Kinda disappointed by The mansion in Majula. I was expecting some spooky poo poo in there, I got pretty excited when I saw the basement and then kinda crestfallen when it was just some rando skeleton hanging out and guarding the chest.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Red Crown posted:

Also, I seem to be in the minority but the Dark Souls Two world just plain works for me. It's creepy as hell - Lordran felt like no one had lived there in ages. Drangelic feels like everything died. Everything is rotting and gnarled, Harvest Valley is literally a poison factory :stonk:. All the friendly NPCs are quietly desperate, it almost feels like the "story" is about them, not the land itself.
I really like the atmosphere, I just wish the various locations were a bit more visually distinctive. There are a few too many instances of "shadowy forest" and "generic brickwork tunnels" for my taste.

I like your impression, though. Lordran did feel abandoned. Drangleic feels ruined.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Not a whole of people in the belfries today. :(

quote:

Kinda disappointed by The mansion in Majula. I was expecting some spooky poo poo in there, I got pretty excited when I saw the basement and then kinda crestfallen when it was just some rando skeleton hanging out and guarding the chest.

Skeletons are spooky! There's something very familiar in there also. It's a broken Lordvessel.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
It took me only about 40 tries but I finally killed the Ruin Sentinels :toot: And amazingly enough, it trained me so well I managed to murder the Belfry Gargoyles in one go!

Anyway, I'm in trouble now. I accidentally attacked Straid – can I de-aggro him somehow? I bought almost everything, but still...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Manatee Cannon posted:

She's awful against Lost Sinner, it's not hard for her to die if you aren't careful. The wharf boss she could solo easily, assuming she doesn't fall off the pier and drown or get stuck on furniture and never enter the boss room.

She tanked both Lost Sinner and Smelter Demon with no problem for me. Like she was barely even missing any health and they both had her jammed against the wall the whole fight.