Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

I've been on a crime/disaster TV show bender. Have been watching Air Disasters, which is a great show about famous jet crashes. The re-enactments are kind of cheesy and funny, but the details of the investigations of crashes are really fascinating. Also started watching CNN's Crimes of the Century and am really enjoying it too. Very interesting to learn the background on Waco, Oklahoma City, Unabomber, etc.

Anyone have other good recommendations for crime or disaster documentaries/TV documentaries?

My friend had a good time binging on "I (Almost) Got Away with It," a second-tier documentary series about criminals who, surprise surprise, almost got away with some crime.

Asking him about any episode always started a conversation like, "Well, if the guy had JUST not stopped at the Mexican border..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
A Fantastic Fear of Everything is a weird little movie that I think was severely underrated.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

mod sassinator posted:

Anyone have other good recommendations for crime or disaster documentaries/TV documentaries?

Fatal Attractions is pretty good. It has messed up stories about exotic pet owners.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

porkchop_express posted:

Just got done watching Odd Thomas. I always enjoy Anton Yelchin and the movie was moderately entertaining if you liked, say, John Dies at the End
Well poo poo yes. Thank you. I'm watching this right now and it's good. Why didn't I ever hear of this flick?

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I'm looking for a hardboiled noir movie with a hardboiled noiry narration in the vein of Sin City.

Already watched oldboy. If I recall correctly it had the main character do a grim narration.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
It didn't.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

NeoSeeker posted:

I'm looking for a hardboiled noir movie with a hardboiled noiry narration in the vein of Sin City.

Already watched oldboy. If I recall correctly it had the main character do a grim narration.

A bit older and accordingly a bit of a different aesthetic, but Chinatown should definitely be on your list.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Ooh, this one looks good. Classic detective flick. Thanks, anymore contributions would be appreciated.

I seem to recall the main character doing a narrative VO at least at some parts In Oldboy. I clearly remember before he beat up the thugs questioning his ability to fight after years of (I remember him clearly monolog) "fake training".

Does anyone have a clue as to the probability of the movie Enter the Void being removed? I've been saving this third rewatch for a while and am guessing I'll be watching it again soon, just dunno when. It changed my life, don't ask me though.

Oh poo poo Chinatown has Jack Nicholson in it, I'm fuckin sold!
Directed by Roman Polanski... How have I not seen this?

\/ Another awesome one. I've been playing a lot of Max Payne recently.. I need lots of Noir.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 28, 2014

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

NeoSeeker posted:

Double Indemnity is by far the best choice here. Better even than Chinatown.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
This thread VVVV is Noir to the extreme, with reviews, and links. A lot of old noirs are on Youtube (legitimately). I've watched a few of them and loved them.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3578036

The Ray Chandler stuff is my favorite, The Postman Always Rings Twice, The Big Sleep, and definitely, Double Indemnity.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

NeoSeeker posted:

Comedy Option: Blade Runner

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Running Man is probably Arnold's finest work of his entire career. I mean, yeah it's got issues but it's such a fantastic and fun film I don't see how any Arnold fan can't enjoy it.

Also Mick Fleetwood.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's not on Netflix but there was a movie from 2001 that cribbed a ton from the novella. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0251031/

Series 7 owns owns owns, though I'd call it more of an American Battle Royale than an adaptation of The Running Man.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Yeah I think I mentioned that. Maybe in the other thread.

I'd watch the theater version just for Ford's voice over. Even if it sounds like he totally was against doing it. And was, allegedly he simply walked out of the studio at least once.

I'm doing running man. I just saw Arnold holding an assault rifle with one hand and I was sold. So far he's actually proving he's a capible actor. He has his quirks but I agree, So far this is probably Arnold's best performance. One would argue terminator 1-2 was, but he was born to play that role...

Someone should have taken better care of Schwarzenegger's training as an actor. Running man shows what he can do and if he got more advice and listened to it he could have been a bonafide superstar. Not a lovable semi-running joke.

\/ I've seen the theater version. My point is I want noir so bad I'd watch that just to get a fix. The improved versions of the movie are much better and more on point in more ways than the lack of narration (which changes the film completely for the worst).

I have the blu-ray ultra Blade Runner that contains every rendition of the movie, or at least more than one. Pretty sure theater version is on there.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 28, 2014

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

NeoSeeker posted:

I'd watch the theater version just for Ford's voice over. Even if it sounds like he totally was against doing it. And was, allegedly he simply walked out of the studio at least once.

Don't watch the theatrical version of Blade Runner, ever. It's not just the bad voiceover Ford had to do at gunpoint, the ending of the theatrical version is an insipid fix-all that misses the entire point of the film.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Series 7 owns owns owns, though I'd call it more of an American Battle Royale than an adaptation of The Running Man.

And it was on Netflix until very recently. :(

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Does anyone know when the rest of FMA: Brotherhood is going up? I watched all 4 parts that are on Netflix but there's still another 12-ish episodes and I'm going into withdrawals.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

precision posted:

And it was on Netflix until very recently. :(

It was either the first or the second movie I rented from Netflix way back in the day.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

NeoSeeker posted:

I'm doing running man. I just saw Arnold holding an assault rifle with one hand and I was sold. So far he's actually proving he's a capible actor. He has his quirks but I agree, So far this is probably Arnold's best performance. One would argue terminator 1-2 was, but he was born to play that role...

Someone should have taken better care of Schwarzenegger's training as an actor. Running man shows what he can do and if he got more advice and listened to it he could have been a bonafide superstar. Not a lovable semi-running joke.

\/ I've seen the theater version. My point is I want noir so bad I'd watch that just to get a fix. The improved versions of the movie are much better and more on point in more ways than the lack of narration (which changes the film completely for the worst).

I have the blu-ray ultra Blade Runner that contains every rendition of the movie, or at least more than one. Pretty sure theater version is on there.

Not on Netflix but relating to your points about Arnold. If you haven't seen Escape Plan yet, you really should. Arnold does some legit decent acting in it and it's a pretty fun prison break movie too.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Does anyone know when the rest of FMA: Brotherhood is going up? I watched all 4 parts that are on Netflix but there's still another 12-ish episodes and I'm going into withdrawals.

As far as I know its been missing that last part for at least a year now. You might want to look into other ways of watching this.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

As far as I know its been missing that last part for at least a year now. You might want to look into other ways of watching this.

Ugghhhhhhhh. :smithicide:

They even have the drat sequel movie, and yet a chunk of the show is just mysteriously gone. Funimation is the worst sometimes.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

Then I ended with Harold & Maude after it was mentioned it's leaving Netflix. A lot more subtle than I thought it was be, but it's still very funny. It's beautifully shot, with some amazing frames (the ending especially), and you can see the influence it had on Wes Anderson (it's one of his favorites).

I hadn't watched it in years but when I rewatched it recently I thought the same thing. There's a similar slightly-off, borderline cartoonish tone that belies a certain emotional sincerity. Even the cinematography is similar in places.

It's also a precursor to the modern romantic comedy. Despite its off-putting premise, the basic story framework and character archetypes are there.

NeoSeeker posted:

Does anyone have a clue as to the probability of the movie Enter the Void being removed? I've been saving this third rewatch for a while and am guessing I'll be watching it again soon, just dunno when. It changed my life, don't ask me though.

Why do you ask, are you booking a trip?

:rimshot:

I just watched Enter the Void for the first time recently, and a great movie all-around, but one thing bugged me: in some of the flashback scenes with Oscar and Linda in Tokyo was their relationship implied to be incestuous? I mean I feel weird for even thinking that, but was it intentional?

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

A couple of pleasant surprises.

Just watched A Fantastic Fear of Everything and The Dirties and enjoyed them immensely. They aren't great movies by any means but it's rarely that I see something I've heard absolutely nothing about and like them this much.

Fear has another great Simon Pegg performance and with a brisk pace just keeps changing into something else. None of the permutations gave me enough time to get bored by them.

The characters in Dirties were engaging, funny, and relatable enough to resonate with me despite the subject matter.

I'm watching Odd Todd right now and I'm pretty sure it's going to break my streak of liking anything with DaFoe in it. So far there are several cameos used to little effect and I just don't think I like the John Dies at the End tone. It's got another hour to do something...

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Why do you ask, are you booking a trip?

:rimshot:

I just watched Enter the Void for the first time recently, and a great movie all-around, but one thing bugged me: in some of the flashback scenes with Oscar and Linda in Tokyo was their relationship implied to be incestuous? I mean I feel weird for even thinking that, but was it intentional?

Yeah I am actually...

Also with the whole incest thing it's not entirely clear. There's one scene where Oscar wakes up and they're both half naked. Thing is that they're best friends basically so they go clubbing a lot. They're also roommates... There's this quasi platonic thing going on. Siblings who get separated at a young age have this insane bonding period when they reunite. I think the entire subtext was just another representation of Oscar's neurosis. Also it's not a big coincidence (plot-wise) that she bears a resemblance to his mother. And that you know who's mom also shares a resemblance... Oscar obviously has mommy issues.

Really that whole thing TL;DR: was about how he never had a mother. He's a total pleasure seeking fiend among other things. He never got that kind of love, so he goes crazy trying to find it. He has this need to be nurtured.

No, they never had sex. I don't see how it's a spoiler thing either. Oscar would most likely kill himself before he did that. if he hadn't have gotten shot something eventually would have happened to make him commit suicide

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Apr 28, 2014

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

The voicework Scarlett did in Her was fantastic though, and she really makes you love her character as much as the protagonist does.
She's also fantastic in Under the Skin.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Rhyno posted:

The Running Man is probably Arnold's finest work of his entire career. I mean, yeah it's got issues but it's such a fantastic and fun film I don't see how any Arnold fan can't enjoy it.

Also Mick Fleetwood.

Kindergarten Cop is peak Arnold

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

In my opinion I don't think they had an incestuous relationship, but he certainly felt sexually attracted to her and was struggling with it. That much was clear - the whole film is filled with Freudian notions of sexuality. I think she might have even known and was teasing her about it.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

True Lies is peak Arnold. Up to then every movie he did was pretty much better than the last to the point where he was such a huge icon. Far more than riding on Terminator cred, he just had that charisma and presence that put butts in seats. But Kindergarten Cop was his first truly funny performance while True Lies perfected it. His comic timing in dealing with the Bill Paxton sleazy car salesman sub-plot is absolutely flawless. As well as being an excellent part of a comic ensemble.

After True Lies it was a downhill slide of weak action/sci fi scripts, phoned-in performances and cash-ins. Sad, really.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

LloydDobler posted:

But Kindergarten Cop was his first truly funny performance....

Not counting Twins. Two years earlier.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

LloydDobler posted:

True Lies is peak Arnold. Up to then every movie he did was pretty much better than the last to the point where he was such a huge icon. Far more than riding on Terminator cred, he just had that charisma and presence that put butts in seats. But Kindergarten Cop was his first truly funny performance while True Lies perfected it. His comic timing in dealing with the Bill Paxton sleazy car salesman sub-plot is absolutely flawless. As well as being an excellent part of a comic ensemble.

After True Lies it was a downhill slide of weak action/sci fi scripts, phoned-in performances and cash-ins. Sad, really.

Going to second this, and add that True Lies is also peak Jamie Lee Curtis AND peak James Cameron (the later is just my opinion, but I stand by it).

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Paper Kaiju posted:

Going to second this, and add that True Lies is also peak Jamie Lee Curtis AND peak James Cameron (the later is just my opinion, but I stand by it).

You forgot peak Tom Arnold. I mean this most sincerely.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

LloydDobler posted:

How can people forget total recall? That's peak Arnold!

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

regulargonzalez posted:

Oh god, you're right! How could I have forgotten! For that matter, it's probably peak Tia Carrere, as well.

All this is really making me want to watch True Lies again. It is literally the last great entry on the careers of everyone involved.

(edit: okay, Tia did do Lilo & Stitch, which is one of my wife's favorite films, so I'd have to give her that.)

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 29, 2014

bartok
May 10, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

I totally agree. The only time Tom Arnold is both tolerable and actually entertaining.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

bartok posted:

I totally agree. The only time Tom Arnold is both tolerable and actually entertaining.

I've always had something of a soft spot for him. And while he only had a minute or two of screen time in Austin Powers, he was pretty funny in it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Paper Kaiju posted:

For that matter, it's probably peak Tia Carrere, as well.

While I do really love True Lies, nah son it's Wayne's World all the way.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Peak Tia Carrere was that Relic Hunter show.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymxt4dmARNg

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

While I do really love True Lies, nah son it's Wayne's World all the way.

While I certainly had many an erection for Tia in both WW films in my youth, in retrospect she did very little other than being a motivation for the protagonist. Give me villainous Tia any day.

morestuff posted:

Peak Tia Carrere was that Relic Hunter show.

Yeah, I watched that show back when I didn't have cable, and Hulu and Netflix streaming did not exist yet. Those were dark days. (i.e. It wasn't that good of a show)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well obviously peak Stallone is Cliffhanger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Well obviously peak Stallone is Cliffhanger.

Personally I'd go with Demolition Man, which came out later that year (according to IMDB), but that's just me. I also haven't seen any of his newer stuff, which from what I've been told he's been going through a bit of a renaissance.

• Locked thread