Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Josh Lyman posted:

There is zero chance the FCC ever implements this rule due to lobbyists. Nobody in government has an incentive to push it through.

Yeah, I haven't heard of anybody pushing a la carte in America since the Bush administration. I guess people are being propagandized because Canada is apparently considering it (as if anything Canada does matters).

That being said, a la carte is definitely a change, but its far from the looming apocalypse networks and cable companies want you to believe it is.

JohnSherman posted:

I would pay for 3 of those channels, because the rest of them are either complete poo poo or don't have enough good programs to justify keeping. I mean, I'd say that's the biggest problem with a la carte.

If the biggest problem with a la carte is that you wouldn't be forced to pay for channels aimed at children, housewives, conservatives and sportfans, it sounds like the greatest thing in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Irish Joe posted:

If the biggest problem with a la carte is that you wouldn't be forced to pay for channels aimed at children, housewives, conservatives and sportfans, it sounds like the greatest thing in the world.

No, but one of the biggest problems is that housewives, conservatives, and sportfans are all no longer forced to pay for the channels you enjoy. Almost twice as many people watch ESPN at primetime than watch AMC. Do you really think that giving them the option to stop paying for it will be a net positive for AMC?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Mu Zeta posted:

It's Left Behind by Damon Lindelof

They should have just called it Left Behind.

The Leftovers sounds like your fridge had a mini rapture during the midnight and you woke up the next day with only a tomato and half a beer.

Plus, if only 2% of the goddamn world disappeared, they wouldn't be the "Leftovers," they'd be the goddamn majority.

PootieTang posted:

TV is going the way of the radio. It's gonna lurch on in a zombie like form, but people will crack jokes about it and old people will complain that back in their day they had to watch broadcast TV and it was upstream both ways.

Sure you'll still have the TV set, but it's just gonna be hooked up to a computer and everything's gonna be from netflix, hulu, 4OD, Iplayer, Itunes, Torrents, etc.

I mean it's already happening, and the FCC and the cable companies aren't gonna be able to do poo poo about it. Those still clinging to the old system will go down with the ship, while everyone with sense will jump to more profitable ventures like establishing their own streaming/on demand services.

You're absolutely right. Most of the people I know watch tv on devices other than their television. And that's a growing trend. I don't know if A la carte will work in the US, I just know that it shouldn't be chastised on the basis that it will promote homogeny because that's absolute bullshit, and anyone who honestly believes that tv isn't already diluted with police procedural and "safety" shows is deluding himself.

I had A La Carte television while living in India, and it was absolutely the best thing ever. We paid 200rs a month (that's 5 bucks) for all the best channels, plus a few extra. We got something like 20 channels, all with shows we regularly watch.

Now, if you want something with 900 channels, few of which you will ever watch, you can go ahead and waste your money. I'm telling you A la carte is the best thing ever.

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012
I have just realised that it has been five years since Party Down was first broadcast and the movie adaptation never materialised, while countless other piles of complete poo poo stayed on air for many years.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

OppyDoppyDopp posted:

I have just realised that it has been five years since Party Down was first broadcast and the movie adaptation never materialised, while countless other piles of complete poo poo stayed on air for many years.

We just got a Veronica Mars adaptation so a Party Down adaptation can't be far behind.... right?

CaptainHollywood fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 28, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Martin Starr is on Silicon Valley playing a similar character, which may assuage your loss (also it's pretty good!)

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

JohnSherman posted:

No, but one of the biggest problems is that housewives, conservatives, and sportfans are all no longer forced to pay for the channels you enjoy. Almost twice as many people watch ESPN at primetime than watch AMC. Do you really think that giving them the option to stop paying for it will be a net positive for AMC?

1) I don't give a poo poo about what is or isn't good for a multi-billion dollar corporation. That doesn't change just because I like their product.
2) AMC has the same goal as every other business: to make money. When circumstances change and the old models become obsolete, so, too, will they change.

Also, its natural for businesses to fail and be replaced. Yeah, imagining a world different than our own is scary as hell, but change is usually for the best.

Remember, no one mourns VHS.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Irish Joe posted:

Dude, tons of people do.

They're just all retarded.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

It's Left Behind by Damon Lindelof

What is Plot Development?

I'll take TV IV for $300, Alex.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Irish Joe posted:

1) I don't give a poo poo about what is or isn't good for a multi-billion dollar corporation. That doesn't change just because I like their product.
2) AMC has the same goal as every other business: to make money. When circumstances change and the old models become obsolete, so, too, will they change.

Also, its natural for businesses to fail and be replaced. Yeah, imagining a world different than our own is scary as hell, but change is usually for the best.

The current state of Discovery is the result of their executives realizing that it makes more sense to air lovely reality shows than to produce science related content that nobody watches. But you're right, I'm sure AMC will be content to blow cash on prestige television after they lose half their subscriber base.

Change is 8 seasons of Small Town Security.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 28, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

JohnSherman posted:

The 12 most popular cable channels in primetime:
1. USA
2. ESPN
3. History
4. TBS
5. TNT
6. Fox News Channel
7. A&E
8. FX
9. AMC
10. HGTV
11. Discovery
12. Adult Swim

I would pay for 3 of those channels, because the rest of them are either complete poo poo or don't have enough good programs to justify keeping. I mean, I'd say that's the biggest problem with a la carte. Imagine, as a network, trying to convince viewers that your shows aren't just worth watching, but specifically worth paying for.

I haven't had cable for about a year and I watch no less tv than before (aside from I guess less random cartoons or background noise). If the criteria is "I would pay for that channel" it would also have to come with no commercials to even begin to appeal to me.

That said, I don't think ala carte tv will happen any time soon regardless of whether you buy the idea that big cable channels subsidize the smaller ones as a result of being part of packages and that this results in more risk-taking programs or not (you would be very wrong if not, but it doesn't matter). You guys do know who runs the FCC right? Hint: former or future very well compensated employees of telecoms companies.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

JohnSherman posted:

The current state of Discovery is the result of their executives realizing that it makes more sense to air lovely reality shows than to produce science related content that nobody watches. But you're right, I'm sure AMC will be content to blow cash on prestige television after they lose half their subscriber base.

What a weird argument. Your worst case scenario is an example of something that happened under the current system. Then you pointed out that even prestige channels like AMC lean heavily on lowest common denominator shows under the current system. However, you have yet to point out a single compelling reason why everything you hate about the current system would be worse under a la carte. Like you said, cable networks already serve two masters--ratings and advertisers--and that wouldn't change with a la carte.

In fact, I'd argue just the opposite--that people are more likely to demand higher quality programming for stations they explicitly pay for, forcing cable network to develop better, rather than cheaper, programs.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ravane posted:

Plus, if only 2% of the goddamn world disappeared, they wouldn't be the "Leftovers," they'd be the goddamn majority.

That's the entire point, it's a twist on 'society breakdown,' without having to resort to a complete apocalypes. Imagine if six million Americans just up and vanished tomorrow: nearly everyone would have lost someone close to them, and has to live with that. Then there's the greater question of what the hell exactly happened, and everyone trying to come to terms with it. And I guess there's a weird cult rubbing everybody's nose in it, which won't help.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's not even that I like anime very much at all, I just really hate absolutism ("all anime is bad"). Yeah okay I'm sure people who say that have seen even like 1% of "all anime" that exists. It's like saying "all American dramas are bad" when all you've seen is NCIS.

I was going to say something about Great Teacher Onizuka but I had it backwards and the anime of that is really terrible, whereas the live action version is loving awesome.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Everything on the Taco Bell menu is bad. Same with anime.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

I haven't been to a Taco Bell in over 20 years. Do they still sell hard-shelled tacos?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Interesting tidbit- without the three hours of WWE on Monday nights, they would fall to 6th. With how fickle cable is, after the death of half the menu, new channel/content creation would halt as no companies would be willing to spend so much on ad space as to finance a station with exactly zero viewers. All the channels would have to create a bunch of small groups of package deals, with television subscriptions requiring a set minimum in spending- which would still equal prices now but with significantly fewer channels.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Irish Joe posted:

I haven't been to a Taco Bell in over 20 years. Do they still sell hard-shelled tacos?
Yes, and they taste like cardboard.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Irish Joe posted:

What a weird argument. Your worst case scenario is an example of something that happened under the current system. Then you pointed out that even prestige channels like AMC lean heavily on lowest common denominator shows under the current system. However, you have yet to point out a single compelling reason why everything you hate about the current system would be worse under a la carte. Like you said, cable networks already serve two masters--ratings and advertisers--and that wouldn't change with a la carte.

In fact, I'd argue just the opposite--that people are more likely to demand higher quality programming for stations they explicitly pay for, forcing cable network to develop better, rather than cheaper, programs.

I mentioned it twice, you just felt content to blow it off because ~big corporations~. Massive losses in revenue hurt networks, and the easiest way to counteract that is to make cheaper programming. A&E and History sit higher on the list of most popular networks than AMC yet spend less on programming. People aren't going to stop watching their lovely reality shows because of a line on their bill.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

soapgish posted:

Interesting tidbit- without the three hours of WWE on Monday nights, they would fall to 6th. With how fickle cable is, after the death of half the menu, new channel/content creation would halt as no companies would be willing to spend so much on ad space as to finance a station with exactly zero viewers.

Actually, with cable in over 75% of households, channel creation would not stop under any circumstances. Yes, media companies would have to change the way they introduce new channels (ie marketing towards consumers instead of cable companies), but cable tv is too good to pass up, even under a la carte.

JohnSherman posted:

A&E and History sit higher on the list of most popular networks than AMC yet spend less on programming. People aren't going to stop watching their lovely reality shows because of a line on their bill.

You're right, people might stop watching those networks altogether until they produce better programs. Thanks for once again making my argument for me.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 29, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

precision posted:

It's not even that I like anime very much at all, I just really hate absolutism ("all anime is bad"). Yeah okay I'm sure people who say that have seen even like 1% of "all anime" that exists. It's like saying "all American dramas are bad" when all you've seen is NCIS.

I was going to say something about Great Teacher Onizuka but I had it backwards and the anime of that is really terrible, whereas the live action version is loving awesome.

But all anime IS bad

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Irish Joe posted:

You're right, people might stop watching those networks altogether until they produce better programs. Thanks for once again making my argument for me.

You are aware of the concept of popularity and how it ties into what people are and are not willing to spend money on, right?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Forget it, Jake. It's Irish Joe.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Irish Joe posted:

Actually, with cable in over 75% of households, channel creation would not stop under any circumstances. Yes, media companies would have to change the way they introduce new channels (ie marketing towards consumers instead of cable companies), but cable tv is too good to pass up, even under a la carte.

There are concessions to be made all over, I'm sure of it, but the process would be very long, difficult, and assuredly convoluted. New channels would realistically have to be introduced into existing packages, then there would have to be education campaigns along with extended previews of the new channel, followed by decisive votes given to the subscribers. Like stockholders, and most homes would probably be resigned to a default proxy vote of "Yes" which wouldn't be much of a change at all.

Or it could go a completely different way, though the point I'm stabbing at is the various efforts necessary to make the costs and benefits even out are Sisyphean.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

PittTheElder posted:

That's the entire point, it's a twist on 'society breakdown,' without having to resort to a complete apocalypes. Imagine if six million Americans just up and vanished tomorrow: nearly everyone would have lost someone close to them, and has to live with that. Then there's the greater question of what the hell exactly happened, and everyone trying to come to terms with it. And I guess there's a weird cult rubbing everybody's nose in it, which won't help.

No, I'm not arguing that the plot is bad, I'm arguing that the name doesn't make sense. You don't fully stock a fridge, then eat a sandwich, and call what's remaining "the leftovers." Even "the Remaining" is a better title than "The Leftovers."

MrAristocrates posted:

Forget it, Jake. It's Irish Joe.

This is such a stupid argument. Irish Joe is actually making some great points, which you guys are unable to refute, and you choose to simply call him a troll?

What, when we agree with you, you take our word, but when we don't, we're trolls? Don't look at life that way kid, it's arrogant and it'll lead you nowhere.

JohnSherman posted:

You are aware of the concept of popularity and how it ties into what people are and are not willing to spend money on, right?

If a bunch of fans were willing to spend a few bucks per episode for Firefly, it'd still be going on. You think shows like Hannibal and Arrow would suddenly die out because we switched to an A la Carte system? They're the only reasons some people still watch tv.

With an A La Carte system, small fanbases can actually make a difference over our already lovely Nielson system.

Edit: Did someone really pay ten bucks to change my avatar thing? Thank you. :)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's wrong, you're wrong, and there's a million articles explaining why. They're just sick of your poo poo and want others to stop engaging it,

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Occupation posted:

But all anime IS bad

No it's not.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He sorta has a point.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

precision posted:

No it's not.

Every two years or I forget that I hate all anime and will watch few episodes of the new hot "oh this is totally anime for non anime fans" series and they're always terrible. Point me to an anime that isn't chock full of exposition, people saying what they are feeling constantly and having completely unwarranted actions, terribly unfunny jokes and glacial plots. I mean, don't cause I won't watch it, but I'm not generalizing when I say I hate all anime ever made past present and future for eternity.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

zoux posted:

Every two years or I forget that I hate all anime and will watch few episodes of the new hot "oh this is totally anime for non anime fans" series and they're always terrible. Point me to an anime that isn't chock full of exposition, people saying what they are feeling constantly and having completely unwarranted actions, terribly unfunny jokes and glacial plots. I mean, don't cause I won't watch it, but I'm not generalizing when I say I hate all anime ever made past present and future for eternity.
Mushishi

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I said don't!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

This.

Also why do people still engage Irish Joe? The gimmick sucks now. It is the Arby's of gimmicks.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This guy knows what's up.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

IRQ posted:

Also why do people still engage Irish Joe? The gimmick sucks now. It is the Arby's of gimmicks.

Its not so much a gimmick this time as existential sadness at the average goon's general inability to be an intelligent and creative thinker. Everybody here is so young, yet so willing to accept an imperfect status quo because they can't envision a better world. Its honestly depressing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Now I'm hungry for Arbys.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Irish Joe posted:

Its not so much a gimmick this time as existential sadness at the average goon's general inability to be an intelligent and creative thinker. Everybody here is so young, yet so willing to accept an imperfect status quo because they can't envision a better world. Its honestly depressing.

Well at least you're euphoric.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

Now I'm hungry for Arbys.

Irish Joe is right, y'all are irredeemable.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

IRQ posted:

Irish Joe is right, y'all are irredeemable.

So Taco Bell then?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

So Taco Bell then?

Paging Occupation, start another garbage debate about nothing, this man needs help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

IRQ posted:

Paging Occupation, start another garbage debate about nothing, this man needs help!

Anime is bad

• Locked thread