Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flongofthenight
Aug 2, 2003

sup?
Not sure if everyone knows this, but you can upgrade the Bootcamp graphics driver for the 750m in the Retina MBP on NVidias website:

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk

This was after following many convoluted guides that had editing of infs and such; although I was in the disabled driver signature mode, if that makes a difference.

This updated the driver from last Septembers version (328?) to a current version, and allows Beta updates and such, it seems to have made things much faster in games, and even has recommended settings for the computer model.

Edit: In fact, this was the specific one I used: (335.23)

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/download/driverResults.aspx/73882/en-uk

flongofthenight fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
I wanted to mention a killer IRC client I recently discovered, Textual. I found it yesterday.. went to buy it ($4.99) and they had tweeted that they were going to have a sale today. So if you'd like an IRC client that doesn't look like it was coded in Fortran in 1982 give it a look, it's $0.99 right now.

http://www.codeux.com/textual/

Also I just started using "The Hitlist" (a task manager/planner) - trying to migrate away from doit.im as much as I love its ubiquitousness. It just never really grabbed me. Hitlist seems really cool so far.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Textual's been in the OP (that no one reads) for years. :(

But I'm glad you found it. I'm a big fan of Textual and it was the first app that I purchased on the Mac App Store when it launched.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

vty posted:

I wanted to mention a killer IRC client I recently discovered, Textual. I found it yesterday.. went to buy it ($4.99) and they had tweeted that they were going to have a sale today. So if you'd like an IRC client that doesn't look like it was coded in Fortran in 1982 give it a look, it's $0.99 right now.

http://www.codeux.com/textual/

Also I just started using "The Hitlist" (a task manager/planner) - trying to migrate away from doit.im as much as I love its ubiquitousness. It just never really grabbed me. Hitlist seems really cool so far.

I love this client as well. It's even open source and "free software".

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Yeah I compile my own Textual because I'm a cheapskate.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
What exactly does holding down "n" at boot do? It appears to netboot something and then it boots to a login prompt like nothing happened. Should it do something else?

Also why would a current model 11" air say it's not authorized to install Mavericks when attempting to reinstall Mavericks via command+r? If that worked would it wipe all home directories too? I want to do a 100% clean install.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Ninja Rope posted:

What exactly does holding down "n" at boot do? It appears to netboot something and then it boots to a login prompt like nothing happened. Should it do something else?

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1533

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Textual is absolutely amazing. When Palaver gets its redesign, I'm going to completely de-Colloquyfy my iThings, because Colloquy for Mac is so bad it's having a negative effect on my iOS experience. :smith:

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

So unless I set up a netboot server (I didn't) booting and holding down "n" doesn't do anything?

Hermi On Me
Dec 30, 2002

That's totally barbaric!

Hughlander posted:

Is it possible to use asr to restore over the root partition without booting into recovery? I have ~30 minis I'd like to image with an updated image, and don't really want to baby sit each one with a keyboard/mouse/monitor to reboot to recovery, restore image over the network, reboot again, change name, move on to next computer. Instead I'd like to ssh in, asr, reboot, screenshare in and set the computer name. If that's not possible is there any easy way to do what I want? (Or a better thread than this to ask?)

I create an image on one Mac then save it and deploy using Deploy Studio. It's pretty easy- you can create a workflow to restore an image to a bunch of computers at once and there are options for renaming the hard drive and computer for each. It works through NetBoot or you can restore by USB hard drive. If it doesn't rename how you like automatically, you can always screen share in after it's been imaged.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ninja Rope posted:

So unless I set up a netboot server (I didn't) booting and holding down "n" doesn't do anything?
Correct.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Ninja Rope posted:

Yep, because there is nothing to connect to.

poo poo, need to refresh more often.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Ninja Rope posted:

Correct.

poo poo, efb

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Hughlander posted:

Is it possible to use asr to restore over the root partition without booting into recovery? I have ~30 minis I'd like to image with an updated image, and don't really want to baby sit each one with a keyboard/mouse/monitor to reboot to recovery, restore image over the network, reboot again, change name, move on to next computer. Instead I'd like to ssh in, asr, reboot, screenshare in and set the computer name. If that's not possible is there any easy way to do what I want? (Or a better thread than this to ask?)
DeployStudio is your friend. Set it up with a NetBoot server (which costs a whopping $20 nowadays), configure your computers and what image you want to drop onto them (you can even give them names in DS Admin and have your workflow name them at first boot), and then use ARD (or just SSH in) and run "bless --netboot --nextonly; shutdown -r now"

DeployStudio might possibly be my favorite thing.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

TinTower posted:

Textual is absolutely amazing. When Palaver gets its redesign, I'm going to completely de-Colloquyfy my iThings, because Colloquy for Mac is so bad it's having a negative effect on my iOS experience. :smith:

What? I use it and think its fine. What's so terrible?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Colloquy used to lag badly for me for some reason, like I would type text and it would take a few seconds for the UI to update. I switched to Textual and never looked back.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Apple Store and AASP techs use the "N" key a lot to run system diagnostics that boot off a NetBoot server.

pretty good aggro deck
Dec 31, 2007

Extinct!
Does anyone know of a way to keep a bluetooth connection alive?

I'm using a bluetooth receiver to connect to my external speakers off my rMPB, but if there's no audio output then it disconnects after about 2 minutes.

I then have to manually reconnect the device or any sound just plays out of the built in speakers, which is pretty annoying.

If it's even something to consider, bluetooth battery use isn't an issue for me as if I'm using this setup then I'm plugged in to the wall 99% of the time.

Any suggestions?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
There was this site that makes keyboards based on the old m7803 model from the early 2000s, does anyone have a link to it? They weren't refurbs or anything; they were new products just based on the design. Without going into opinions, I want one, but I seem to have lost my bookmarks.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Binary Badger posted:

Apple Store and AASP techs use the "N" key a lot to run system diagnostics that boot off a NetBoot server.

The Apple store netboot tools are pretty fuckin impressive when you're on the other side of the counter.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

Sir Coq of Nandos posted:

Is anyone else having issues using Parallels 8 to run a Windows 8 partition as a VM?

I decided to upgrade and Parallels was previously able to see my Win7 boot camp partition. I thought I was loving up the partition formatting (I use Boot Camp Assistant but am aware you then need to reformat in the Windows installer). Parallels still can't see the loving boot camp partition.

I dunno if this helps but currently I have Parallels 9 accessing a Windows 8 Boot Camp partition just fine.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to get sync behavior with a time capsule that works like this: I add files to a folder, it syncs them onto corresponding folder on the time capsule. I delete a file from my Mac and it stays on the TC indefinitely and I don't have to worry about it getting deleted. Is something like this possible?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
ChronoSync or backup software like CrashPlan can do that.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I thought I'd be extra backup-saavy and use two Time Machine drives: one at home, one at work. But for some reason it stopped doing hourly backups at work. It just backed up once a day. Found out when I went to grab some files that were deleted only to find out it's been 6 hours since it last backed up. :mad:

Is this expected behavior? I set it back to just the office drive because I really like hourly backups.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

carry on then posted:

What? I use it and think its fine. What's so terrible?

For one, it tends to part me from all channels whenever I go to standby. Which is bad if you're running a ZNC bouncer.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

lord funk posted:

I thought I'd be extra backup-saavy and use two Time Machine drives: one at home, one at work. But for some reason it stopped doing hourly backups at work. It just backed up once a day. Found out when I went to grab some files that were deleted only to find out it's been 6 hours since it last backed up. :mad:

Is this expected behavior? I set it back to just the office drive because I really like hourly backups.
What version of OS X?

TinTower posted:

For one, it tends to part me from all channels whenever I go to standby. Which is bad if you're running a ZNC bouncer.
Mac Colloquy? Sounds like it's the going to standby part that's the problem, switching to Textual won't change that.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

The White Dragon posted:

There was this site that makes keyboards based on the old m7803 model from the early 2000s, does anyone have a link to it? They weren't refurbs or anything; they were new products just based on the design. Without going into opinions, I want one, but I seem to have lost my bookmarks.

Do you mean Unicomp? http://pckeyboard.com/

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Thanks, but I'm afraid not. The one I had bookmarked was outright the Apple Pro Keyboard except with someone else's logo on it :v:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

japtor posted:

Mac Colloquy? Sounds like it's the going to standby part that's the problem, switching to Textual won't change that.

Actually if that is the problem then textual, at least on my computers, is being clever and doesn't tell znc to leave the channel on sleep.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

8ender posted:

Actually if that is the problem then textual, at least on my computers, is being clever and doesn't tell znc to leave the channel on sleep.
Ah I was misunderstanding, I thought you were running Colloquy locally and just using ZNC for iOS remote connections. So uh yeah that's weird but I haven't used Colloquy in a while. If it's not just a weird bug I'd guess it's something in Colloquy's prefs that's doing it, like auto log off on sleep script/option or something.

Anyway one other nice thing about Textual (that Palaver is getting for 2.0 according to its roadmap) is iCloud sync for servers. Not that it's a huge deal for me since I only connect to a few rooms, but it's nice not having to set everything up again if you have multiple Macs.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

I lost my previous macbook to a dumb accident, and now have a whole heap of music on my iPhone that isn't from iTunes but that I'd like to keep. Is it possible to get these songs off my iPhone somehow?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

andelazo posted:

I lost my previous macbook to a dumb accident, and now have a whole heap of music on my iPhone that isn't from iTunes but that I'd like to keep. Is it possible to get these songs off my iPhone somehow?

Senuti will do that.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

andelazo posted:

In the future, you should probably use Time Machine and an online backup service like Backblaze or Crashplan.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Yeah, frankly I was pretty much asking for it, organising a backup system has been on my to-do list for god knows how long. I picked up a time capsule while in was in apple today, which should hopefully work better then one of the online services over my horrible broadband.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

andelazo posted:

Yeah, frankly I was pretty much asking for it, organising a backup system has been on my to-do list for god knows how long. I picked up a time capsule while in was in apple today, which should hopefully work better then one of the online services over my horrible broadband.

One backup is certainly better than no backup, but I think that cbirdsong was very deliberately using the word "and" here:

cbirdsong posted:

In the future, you should probably use Time Machine and an online backup service like Backblaze or Crashplan.

It might sound like overkill, but it really is best to have both local and remote backups. Time Machine won't help you if your house burns down.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

It does seem a bit excessive, but i suppose you do have a point. I'm not great with computers though I will look into it.

Thanks for the Senuti recommendation earlier too!

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
CrashPlan is a little overkill for most backup situations and it's interface leaves a lot to be desired compared to Backblaze, but it's ability to restore a file from a specific point in time has saved my rear end enough times that it's paid for itself just in terms of sheer saved anguish.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
There's something I'm doing when I'm using just my laptop (no external mouse), where if I'm in a browser and I swipe with two fingers, it's the same as hitting the back button. I'm struggling to think of any loving scenario where I'd actually want this to happen, especially since it always seems to happen when I'm 2/3 of the way through filling out a form.

Anyway, how do I turn this poo poo off? I can't find it in my mouse options.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
Hello, I don't know if I'm in the correct thread for this question, but here goes. I'm looking for a free software package that will allow me to do basic CAD drawings. They don't have to have 3D options, but it'd be nice if it did. My background is that I have been trained on CATIA V4 and V5 for a job I had a while back before I quit and in high school I had a few courses on AutoCAD over a decade ago; a very ancient program that I remember having red lines for the 2D drawing and did have colors for when I built a simple house. Heck, it even had potted plants for house design, and a bunch of bathtub options. I don't actually need that since I'm not drawing up a house design; just drawing up some simple blueprints as a first draft for a possible business venture.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I have a Mac with Mavericks on it and that's why I'm asking here. I'm going to use this program once and then delete it which is why I'd prefer it be free.

Earth fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

jackpot posted:

There's something I'm doing when I'm using just my laptop (no external mouse), where if I'm in a browser and I swipe with two fingers, it's the same as hitting the back button. I'm struggling to think of any loving scenario where I'd actually want this to happen, especially since it always seems to happen when I'm 2/3 of the way through filling out a form.

Anyway, how do I turn this poo poo off? I can't find it in my mouse options.