Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Drangleic honestly reminds me more of Bolataria than Lordran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

lordfrikk posted:

It took me only about 40 tries but I finally killed the Ruin Sentinels :toot: And amazingly enough, it trained me so well I managed to murder the Belfry Gargoyles in one go!

Anyway, I'm in trouble now. I accidentally attacked Straid – can I de-aggro him somehow? I bought almost everything, but still...

If you kill him you can resurrect him at the nearby bonfire (a gravestone will appear after a while) for 14k

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

lordfrikk posted:

It took me only about 40 tries but I finally killed the Ruin Sentinels :toot: And amazingly enough, it trained me so well I managed to murder the Belfry Gargoyles in one go!

Anyway, I'm in trouble now. I accidentally attacked Straid – can I de-aggro him somehow? I bought almost everything, but still...

Go to Brightcove after the Prowling Magus boss fight area head to the left and then turn left - there should be an alcove with a ladder there, and when you go up there, there are some goodies and the pardoner

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

It's me. I'm the guy that will shoot you when you emote in the Arena. I'm here to farm orbs and get out. No Mercy.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
How do I powerstance :confused: (KB+M)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

PirateBob posted:

How do I powerstance :confused: (KB+M)

Hold the two-hand button if you have the stats. You'll notice your stance changes.

Kicklighter
Jun 30, 2012

Just finished the game. Amazing amount of content, and I thought it improved on the previous Souls games in every way.

Except for the story. Demon's Souls had an intro video about Boletaria and the fog, along with flavor text at the stage select screens; Dark Souls had an intro video about the war with the dragons and the discovery of the four Lord's souls. That was just enough to give the games some resonance. So it was gut-twisting to get to the end of the Valley of Defilement and realize what had happened to the saint I read about beforehand, and it was thrilling to get to the bottom of the Tomb of Giants and realize I was about to fight the death lord from the beginning of time.

The Dark Souls 2 intro just rambled on about journeys and undead curses, as if they lifted the theme from Dark Souls 1 but forgot to bring along the story. I didn't find out who the four "old souls" were until I killed them and saw their souls looked different in my inventory. I knew as much about where I was going and why I was going there as I would in a level from Super Mario Bros. Then near the end the Emerald Herald talks about how she was engineered by humans and dragons to break the "cycle," but her origin and the nature of the cycle come up nowhere else in the game, so it felt like the writers had just copied the Maiden in Black but forgot to actually attach her to the world.

But anyway one time I got summoned into ratmanland and was running away from elephant knights and dog-sized rats when the the host nearly died to a stone axe landing on his head from the Gyrms above, so that mostly makes up for it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kimmalah posted:

She tanked both Lost Sinner and Smelter Demon with no problem for me. Like she was barely even missing any health and they both had her jammed against the wall the whole fight.

She has less than 1/5th health against the Sinner when I beat the boss, dunno why there's such a massive difference.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Alkydere posted:

Hold the two-hand button if you have the stats. You'll notice your stance changes.

Badass! :cool:

Is there no way to block while dual wielding?

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
It feels like this game really overdid it with enemies that combo into you. Just one slip-up and you're taking 3 or 4 attacks in a row that you can't stop. :(

Edit: God loving drat it there goes 50k souls.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

PirateBob posted:

Badass! :cool:

Is there no way to block while dual wielding?

Nope! Though with some weapons you can parry...provided you're not in man-mode power stance.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Cyberventurer posted:

It feels like this game really overdid it with enemies that combo into you. Just one slip-up and you're taking 3 or 4 attacks in a row that you can't stop. :(
It'd be a lot more bearable if raising your shield didn't take so long. Once the first hit connects, you're usually stunlocked until the combo is over unless you've got really high poise.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I haven't had any trouble with enemies comboing me. Try rolling away instead of blocking maybe? I'm playing almost entirely without a shield so when enemies hit me I try to roll back rather than block.

Anyways, now that I have the 4 souls, where do I go? I thought it was that big door in the forest but it still won't let me past.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I've been doing both, all the time. It probably wouldn't be so bad if parrying didn't feel so weird compared to the first game, but I can't do it to save my life and I've been trying all game.

I'm playing a wizard so it takes me a moment to wind up an attack and once an enemy gets in your face they never stop coming, so I usually get hit when I think I have an opening but they recover faster than I expect.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Am I missing something or did From really nerf heavy weapons in PVP. Specifically you can no longer arbitrarily change direction of an attack after initiating. At best you can only do a 90 degree turn. Now I'm not sure if they actually nerfed it, if it is glitched, or if they changed the controls. Because I have managed to achieve the classic 180 turn roll attack. But it is hard as poo poo and I'm not actually sure how to do it.

It's like I roll in a direction, and start rotating the stick in the direction I want to attack (opposite of the direction of the roll), then as soon as my character is about to get up I hit attack and he turns 180 instead of 90 and does the roll attack animation. The window for when you are supposed to hit attack is extremely small. Too soon and he does the roll attack at 90, too late and he just does a regular attack.

So now the question is, is it just a controls change, just like they made the parrying window smaller? Am I glitching the game by doing these reversals? Or was it supposed to be unchanged and the game is just bugged the way it is now.

The rolling attack reversal is the only one I have managed to do so far. If it is a controls change, how do I reverse the other attacks?

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
You can't do a 180 turn roll attack, however you can still 180 a lot of attacks. Just disengage lock-on and hold the left stick in the direction you want your attack to connect to. Your character needs to be physically able to turn around during the attack animation wind up, so it needs to be a really slow swing if you want to turn around fully.

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 29, 2014

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Randler posted:

Alternatively, just run through summons in front of the boss's fog door until one phantom is smart enough to lure you to where you need to go.

When I first got to that bonfire in Earthen Peak I saw all the summon signs and went 'why not?' - and after a short detour going in the wrong direction he encouraged me to follow him, lead me to the windmill, pointed at it, and with all the notes on the ground it was easy enough to figure out, then lead me all the way to the boss door. Some summons have the patience of saints. :downs:.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

So is there a treasure chest for critical items like in Dark Souls 1? The stone mace knight and I managed to kill each other simultaneously, and the sublime bone dust is gone. Let me know if its available elsewhere before I delete this character.

I got his face just the way I wanted, too.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Tuxedo Ted posted:

So is there a treasure chest for critical items like in Dark Souls 1? The stone mace knight and I managed to kill each other simultaneously, and the sublime bone dust is gone. Let me know if its available elsewhere before I delete this character.

He'll probably come back if you burn an ascetic at the bonfire. Of course, he'll be a NG+ stone mace dude then. :v:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Tuxedo Ted posted:

The bonfire (at least in Majula) has an "Item Box" i think

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Internet Kraken posted:

I haven't had any trouble with enemies comboing me. Try rolling away instead of blocking maybe? I'm playing almost entirely without a shield so when enemies hit me I try to roll back rather than block.

Anyways, now that I have the 4 souls, where do I go? I thought it was that big door in the forest but it still won't let me past.

If you're talking about the big black door that's a King's Gate and you need another item you'll get later to open it. The four souls open the Shrine of Winter. Basically when you get to that bonfire in Shaded Woods with three doors around it, take the left door. There will be a small, kind of hard to see path on your left going uphill which will take you to the Shrine and the next area.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

TheQat posted:

The bonfire (at least in Majula) has an "Item Box" i think

Nah, "item box" is just the box o' holding from Dark Souls I.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Alkydere posted:

Nah, "item box" is just the box o' holding from Dark Souls I.

oh okay. I wasn't sure what it did, haven't used it yet

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Bloodmobile posted:

You can't do a 180 turn roll attack,

Now I'm not talking about the roll backstab attack, where you lock on, pull back, unlock + roll, attack. I'm just talking about rolling forward, but attacking backwards. That one I can definitely do and I have described my method in my post. I just wasn't sure if I was doing it completely wrong and making it harder than it should be.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well, now I can use headphones the Lost Bastile was loving terrifying in the Pharros room.

Why is there a scream, WHY IS THERE A SCREAM. :gonk:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Executioner's Chariot - will you do more dmg if you get the gate to fall right down on him instead of in front of him? :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A Balrog just knocked me through the level geometry and killed me. :stare:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Old Iron King? He's easy except for that tiny platform.

nollek
Jun 13, 2007

We speak for Earth
I'm so terrible at this game. But I finally managed to kill The Pursuer after about 3 hours of sweaty battle and almost breaking my controller after some of the deaths leaving the boss with a sliver of hp. That final kill was so glorious and satisfying that it brought tears to my eyes. This is why I love Dark Souls.

Time to take a shower.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

RBA Starblade posted:

There's a cool tiny pit between the main wall of that little stage and the floor placed specifically to own people like you

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's really not hard. Are you just fighting in the open or something? Fight behind the pillars instead of in the middle of the bridge or whatever you're doing. You only even have to get to one archer, the rest can be completely ignored!
Though be aware that they will/might enter the room after the boss fight and nearly one-shot scare the living poo poo out of you as you're still shaking from beating that boss.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does anyone else ever find that that in PvP they hit someone, the game makes the sound for them hitting the person, yet they don't take any damage? It happens for me on a regular basis with Pate's Spear. I'll clearly stab someone but they don't take any damage from it. Never see it happen to me though.

EDIT: like, this poo poo happens every loving fight. Its as if this weapon is broken.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 29, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Internet Kraken posted:

Does anyone else ever find that that in PvP they hit someone, the game makes the sound for them hitting the person, yet they don't take any damage? It happens for me on a regular basis with Pate's Spear. I'll clearly stab someone but they don't take any damage from it. Never see it happen to me though.

Netcode, it's the final boss of the game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

steakmancer posted:

There's a cool tiny pit between the main wall of that little stage and the floor placed specifically to own people like you

:negative:

Actually I almost beat him first try. Flash Sweat takes a lot of the effort out of it.

e: God drat it he one-shot me with a right hook.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 29, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

PirateBob posted:

Executioner's Chariot - will you do more dmg if you get the gate to fall right down on him instead of in front of him? :v:

I seriously don't think you could pull that off without dying, considering how long it takes to pull the lever and that he would crash into you immediately.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Internet Kraken posted:

Happens to me frequently with maces. I'l hear the crushing sound, but they'll not take any damage. I'm usually fine with it, after all, I'm sure I've done the same thing to them right back.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Going through Black Gulch I found a chest surrounded with blood stains that showed a phantom opening it and dying. I ended up destroying it, was there anything good inside or just a trap?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I just remembered something I wanted to ask earlier in the thread. Someone said something about an anti-piracy thing in this game like the Deus Ex boat, but I can't find the post. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Going through Black Gulch I found a chest surrounded with blood stains that showed a phantom opening it and dying. I ended up destroying it, was there anything good inside or just a trap?
Trapped chests still have items in them, I dunno what that one in particular had. You can open it and then roll away without dying if you're fast enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Ciaphas posted:

I just remembered something I wanted to ask earlier in the thread. Someone said something about an anti-piracy thing in this game like the Deus Ex boat, but I can't find the post. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Apparently, the anti-piracy thing is a screamer that fills the screen with an undead face and promptly shuts down the game. I've heard absolutely nothing substantial about this though. :v: