Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gotta love the giant tumor toting a dozen guns, too.

What's with the pointless face icons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

MikeJF posted:

You never played the Sims?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

MikeJF posted:

I assumed the face icons, plus the way they were tinted, made the whole thing a sort of reference to the board game Clue.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

The MSJ posted:

Cover of Secret Avengers #5

I just noticed all the white mice with the little needles/lasers strapped to their backs.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Trast posted:

I just noticed all the white mice with the little needles/lasers strapped to their backs.

They did save Hill's life in issue 2!

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

MikeJF posted:

C'mon, haven't we had enough Liefeld bashing?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Old old comics

I think this one was posted before?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cardboard Box A posted:

If she had run off to live with Namor after this kind of treatment, would anyone really blame her?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Couple highlights from Hawkeye 18.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Male Man posted:

C'mon, haven't we had enough Liefeld bashing?

Never. There can never be enough.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

I know the ending card is about why Stark didn't trust Jameson, but I can't help but imagine it's about why everyone is happy he wasn't commando under it all.

This has been such a beautiful arc.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Cardboard Box A posted:

Panels like this make me suspect there's something to that idea that Lee and Kirby actually were trying to fit contemporary feminist ideas into FF (in the sense of "look, it's what you're mad about! we get it"), just in a way that was basically indistinguishable from playing it straight.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Couple highlights from Hawkeye 18.

If it's one thing that gets hammered home with this series it's this: being Hawkeye is suffering, no matter where or who you are.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

John Dyne posted:

I know the ending card is about why Stark didn't trust Jameson, but I can't help but imagine it's about why everyone is happy he wasn't commando under it all.

My first thought was that it's about why he wasn't commando.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Kellsterik posted:

Panels like this make me suspect there's something to that idea that Lee and Kirby actually were trying to fit contemporary feminist ideas into FF (in the sense of "look, it's what you're mad about! we get it"), just in a way that was basically indistinguishable from playing it straight.
Hmmmm... reading that line in Colbert's Sarcastic Reed voice works very well actually... and it's just like Reed to be a dick to both the general and Sue at the same time.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

John Dyne posted:

I'm almost curious about why they felt the need to stress and play up "THE REASON WHY" Jameson hunted down Spider-Man in that armor.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
RIP Iron Jonah, you were too beautiful for this world. :smith:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

smashpro1 posted:

RIP Iron Jonah, you were too beautiful for this world. :smith:

Don't worry, his next plan will be to buy an old Super Adaptiod and merge with that, to get his revenge on all the Avengers!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

SilverSupernova posted:

I'm almost curious about why they felt the need to stress and play up "THE REASON WHY" Jameson hunted down Spider-Man in that armor.

No no, it's why he wasnt commando.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Vartox's people were hit by a "contraceptive bomb" and can't reproduce. He has chosen Power Girl to be his mate and help him repopulate his planet.

Power Girl 7

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
That's an obvious Zardoz homage, isn't it?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

It has to be.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Schneider Heim posted:

That's an obvious Zardoz homage, isn't it?
Vartox debuted 9 months after the movie came out. Soooo

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Old comics being weird.
I don't have sources for any of these.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Amanda Conner is so good at drawing expressions. I love her style. Simple but powerful lines, the dialog is merely addendum to emotion.

It also takes skill to make Powergirl, queen of gratuitous fan-titillation, look pretty goofy/adorable with said expressions.

Power Girl 8.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Say Nothing posted:

Old comics being weird.

I cannot guess the actual meaning behind this. It is beyond me.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Chinaman7000 posted:

I cannot guess the actual meaning behind this. It is beyond me.

Maybe he was about to kick Flash in the balls?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Say Nothing posted:

Old comics being weird.

Is it just me, or are those word balloons very Watchmen-like?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Lars Blitzer posted:

If it's one thing that gets hammered home with this series it's this: being Hawkeye is suffering, no matter where or who you are.

Hawkeye is Chief O'Brien?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TMOMTtAMBI

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Uthor posted:

Vartox's people were hit by a "contraceptive bomb" and can't reproduce. He has chosen Power Girl to be his mate and help him repopulate his planet.

Power Girl 7

I'm getting such a Dr. Krieger vibe here

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

At least that one's might be a Fletcher "I Shall Destroy All The Civilized Planets" Hanks panel. More specifically, it's a Stardust story where evil people destroy the Earth's gravity because shut up.

Cangelosi fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 29, 2014

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Say Nothing posted:

Old comics being weird.

Hey, I recognize this! A quick Google tells me that it's an illustration from 'Fantastic Four in the House of Horrors', a 'Whitman Big Little Book' I had as a kid. Here's a Flickr album of other, er, masterpieces from the book.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Cangelosi posted:

At least that one's might be a Fletcher "I Shall Destroy All The Civilized Planets" Hanks panel. More specifically, it's a Stardust story where evil people destroy the Earth's gravity because shut up.

The last panel here is so good. As are all the preceding panels.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 29, 2014

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mr. Squishy posted:

The last panel here is so good. As are all the preceding panels.

That last panel looks straight out of The Authority or The Ultimates (minus Brian Hitch).

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Kellsterik posted:

I do not think that anyone who literally says "harrumph" is supposed to be the voice of reason, but hindsight is 20/20.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I'm dumbfounded that Vartox was an existing character. He's so perfect in this story I assumed he was created for it.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Pretty sure that panel is literally straight out of the last arc of Morrison's JLA.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
So, how did Power Girl go from "Jesus Christ is this dude for real" regarding Vartox to dressing up for him and being flattered by his complements?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

They fight a bunch of monsters he let loose to prove his virility, he apologizes and offers dinner, she is mildly amused and curious what his deal is (he mentions the "dire circumstances" of his people), he offers her use of his Clothing Dispenser 12,000 to get out of her outfit which is covered in monster guts from earlier, that's the outfit she designs for herself for some reason. Later, he explains that his people have moved beyond "physical contact" for procreation and, well, this:

Power Girl 8

(He shows up later and PG basically just punches him a bunch around the planet, flies him into space, and throws him into his space ship.)

Uthor fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 30, 2014

• Locked thread