Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Can't say that I mind the adds too much, for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Throughout the last few updates, pressing the three-lines button that would normally lead me to my bookmarks, settings, etc, has instead become a crash-to-home (and then reset to the thread I was reading 10 minutes ago on restart) button. Is it a bookmark that I should remove because the app can't handle it? Or maybe just my old as hell 4?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Mike the TV posted:

Throughout the last few updates, pressing the three-lines button that would normally lead me to my bookmarks, settings, etc, has instead become a crash-to-home (and then reset to the thread I was reading 10 minutes ago on restart) button. Is it a bookmark that I should remove because the app can't handle it? Or maybe just my old as hell 4?

What version of iOS? I'll see if I can find the crash report.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
7.0.6. Apparently I should update too. Thanks!

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Hello. I just want to say that this app owns and the amount of improvement it's seen since I started using it a year ago is amazing. One of my favorite apps right now.

Also, I would like it if it didn't crash almost every time I tap someone's quote to jump to the original post. That's my only problem with it. (If that bug's already on the list or whatever, then ignore me!)

Keep up the good work guys. :toot:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

tankadillo posted:

Also, I would like it if it didn't crash almost every time I tap someone's quote to jump to the original post. That's my only problem with it. (If that bug's already on the list or whatever, then ignore me!)

First time I've heard of it :( can you tell me what device you use and what version of iOS you're on?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

My todo list is now at https://gist.github.com/nolanw/6a570ee476ae3fd99c9a if anybody's interested. Should keep itself up-to-date.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

pokeyman posted:

First time I've heard of it :( can you tell me what device you use and what version of iOS you're on?

It's happened for a long time for me, across several versions of the Awful app. It seriously happens a LOT, maybe not quite 50% of the time, but it feels pretty high. I haven't done any real tests to see if there are any patterns to it. All I know is that tapping the poster's name will start loading the original post, and then soon afterwards the app will crash. I'm on an iPhone 5 running iOS 7.1

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

pokeyman posted:

My todo list is now at https://gist.github.com/nolanw/6a570ee476ae3fd99c9a if anybody's interested. Should keep itself up-to-date.

:stare: That is quite the list!

Can I just say thank you again for all the hard work you do on such a fantastic app...? Because, seriously--this is one of my most used apps, and it's excellent.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Hey man great work so far, only skimmed through the list and couldn't see it - not sure if you're already aware either. But whenever I post a thread the app crashes. The post itself goes through but the app seems to just close to home screen.

iPhone 5s
iOS 7.1.1

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Will we get an option to turn ads off?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

terre packet posted:

Will we get an option to turn ads off?

You can buy it from the forums for a few dollars.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Since the update the app is now doing this when I click a link to a quoted post:

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Image upload is also broken. It gives error code: -1

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

theadder posted:

Since the update the app is now doing this when I click a link to a quoted post:

You mean the outsized box? Is that the one you click on, or the one you go to?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

You mean the outsized box? Is that the one you click on, or the one you go to?

This is the one I go to. It's broken and displaying the page without the custom layout seemingly in the built in web browser.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The Dave posted:

Noted. Pulled them, hopefully get to them this weekend.

I don't know if you got to these yet, but if you didn't, here's a possibly helpful post from over a month ago:

Spenny posted:

Here's the Full Resoultion Originals of the new Fyad thread tags ( and ) so that you can make them into squares or whatever for your app.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Hopefully tonight I get them done, don't see why I wouldn't, only thing I have to do is fertilize my yard. I feel so old. Hold me guys.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
When you make a post, it never sends, you go back to the thread, and try to post again, the post field is stuck on your previous post and the keyboard doesnt show up, only the [=:/][/] buttons

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I committed the new tags to the thread tags repo, but I'm stuck on how to properly update the submodules for awful.app and awful.github.io .

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Minor bug: I bought a new avatar but the little thumbnail next to the username in the sidebar didn't update.

E: Reinstalling the app made it appear.

El Burbo fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 29, 2014

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Didn't know you could buy avatars that big.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The Dave posted:

Normally you can't.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

The Dave posted:

If you have admin friends, everything is possible.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The Dave posted:

I committed the new tags to the thread tags repo, but I'm stuck on how to properly update the submodules for awful.app and awful.github.io .

Done.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That had to be done in terminal right? Which command? I wasn't confident at all in what I was doing.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The Dave posted:

That had to be done in terminal right? Which command? I wasn't confident at all in what I was doing.

Once you've pushed the new thread tags, make sure you have no pending changes in the other repos. Then:
Bash code:
cd path/to/awful-app
cd Resources/Thread\ Tags
git pull
cd ..
git commit -am "Updated thread tags."
git push

cd path/to/awful-site
cd Thread\ Tags
git pull
cd ..
git commit -am "Updated thread tags."
git push

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Gotcha, thanks!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pokeyman: interested in http://applinks.org/ ? Not sure how you feel about that vs the browser view.

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

Subjunctive posted:

Pokeyman: interested in http://applinks.org/ ? Not sure how you feel about that vs the browser view.

Whoa. That's cool as heck. So you just add their stuff to your xcode project, and it automatically formats links for facebook/etc to jump to their apps correctly?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Not really? I'm not sure I see what Awful would do here.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

It would become Awful-er!

But seriously, I prefer the inline browser over switching to a whole separate app.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I was also wondering if we could take advantage of those today when they were announced.

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

kloa posted:

It would become Awful-er!

But seriously, I prefer the inline browser over switching to a whole separate app.

I was under the impression it extends UIWebView. If it's its own app that it has to switch to, then I rescind saying it was cool as heck and instead say it is dumb as heck.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Peanut and the Gang posted:

I was under the impression it extends UIWebView. If it's its own app that it has to switch to, then I rescind saying it was cool as heck and instead say it is dumb as heck.

Yeah, it lets you open YouTube or Maps or whatever links in the apps, instead of the web view. It doesn't replace the browser in general.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, it lets you open YouTube or Maps or whatever links in the apps, instead of the web view. It doesn't replace the browser in general.

What's the difference between App Links and something like IntentKit?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah if I have it right it would be like you follow a web link from Awful, it would switch to safari, and there would be a slim bar on the page to go back to awful that you tap that does the app switching for you.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Dave posted:

Yeah if I have it right it would be like you follow a web link from Awful, it would switch to safari, and there would be a slim bar on the page to go back to awful that you tap that does the app switching for you.

There are two pieces:

- for a link that might be followed, a standardized way to say "open in this app instead", so a Kickstarter link could lead to the KS app (via page scraping or the applinks.org cache)

- a standard way to say "back to here", if the receiving app supports it (few do yet)

IntentKit seems to be a way for the source-app to set up its own mappings and manage them. I guess the big difference is that applinks' stuff is based on (possibly-cached/indexed) page metadata, so the site/target-app developer can make sure that things line up without needing to teach each source-app something new.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Doesn't look very useful to me. I'm out. (Honestly it doesn't look very useful to anyone, but maybe I'll eat my words in a year when people are still using App Links.)

Also IntentKit can gently caress off adding prefix-free methods to NSString. Automatic fail in any library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The demo was actually pretty nice. It just completely removed any thinking for the multitasking process.

• Locked thread