Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

hooah posted:

Thanks, I didn't know the laptop world still moved kinda slow-ish. I was expecting more like the Android phone tempo.

Intel is god as far as mobile x86-64 is concerned, either in total power consumption or power per watt these days, it's insane.

Since there's only one manufacturer of Intel chips, and since Intel only refreshes their mobile lineup once a year (there's a wikipedia article about it, click) (really, more of a slow rollout from Apple to everyone else), as DrDork points out, business class laptops don't refresh but once per chip cycle.

On the android front you have qualcomm, samsung and several others (5+) who are major players in ARM chip arms race which means the turnover is pretty quick. However if you look at the halo phones it's more like once a year, Samsung + HTC + Motorola/Lenovo in the spring, Google Nexus in the Fall etc.

And yeah various gimmicky poo poo comes out throughout the year, along with :pcgaming: laptops, but Windows can't really cope with the 3200x1800 screens on the market so it's kind of a moot point right now.

edit: Second, since Intel is so dang far ahead of AMD, they've funneled most of their R&D dollars in to reducing energy consumption in the goal of cramming an x86-64 chip in a (practical) cell phone, rather than increasing raw performance. As a result mid-2013 Haswell is only about 15% faster than early--2011 Sandy Bridge but consumes less than a third of the power (in watts) Sandy Bridge uses at full tilt. Modern ULV Haswell will idle at under 7 watts these days, while a full i5 haswell desktop barely cracks 34 watts under full load. Sandy bridge desktop chips were rated to 95w. This worked out ok because Windows 8 isn't a giant resource hog compared to Win7, and video games have been hamstrung by 2007-era consoles forever, so nobody really noticed the lack of improvement in raw power.

TL;DR Intel is running at 2012 CPU power in 2014, but in return we have 2017 power consumption

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Hadlock posted:

TL;DR Intel is running at 2012 CPU power in 2014, but in return we have 2017 power consumption
And this is A Good Thing because, quite frankly, even 2012 CPU power was more than enough for 99% of users, and the real "performance gains" (especially from a normal home-user perspective) has been coming from trying to widen out some of the other bottlenecks, like swapping out HDDs for SSDs.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Intel's drive for power and thermal efficiency has a huge impact on servers running all the of the web crap we hold so dear

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

go3 posted:

Intel's drive for power and thermal efficiency has a huge impact on servers running all the of the web crap we hold so dear

And AMD's drive for increased core count never panned out, because adoption of multithreading tasks didn't catch on as quickly as they had hoped.

That said, I *really* hope the new news that Intel is giving microservers a second look does the AMD-owned Seamicro some good. (Tangent over!)

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I wish I had read this thread. There was a coupon a few weeks ago where you could trade in any running laptop to BB for a $100 credit towards a chromebook. I took the offer, and picked up a c720p.

It's basically just a physical copy of Chrome, right? I thought it would be more useful and... ergonomic than a tablet since I do a lot of writing and picture editing. But almost everything has to be done while connected to the cloud, so it's kind of pointless for my purposes. And it did something where Chrome no longer remembers my passwords or pinned tabs on my home computer nor Chromebook, so now I have to start from scratch every time I open the browser. I also had no idea that all the 'apps' are essentially bookmarks.

Returning it tomorrow, I'll be better off with a bluetooth keyboard for my tablet.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Hadlock posted:

i]mid-[/i]2013 Haswell is only about 15% faster than early--2011 Sandy Bridge but consumes less than a third of the power (in watts) Sandy Bridge uses at full tilt.

Why would anybody care about the ratio of Haswell's idle power consumption to Sandy Bridge's full-tilt power consumption?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you would like to write a peer-reviewed article about power consumption of Intel processors over the last three years I would be happy to include it as part of the OP. I'm very sorry that my post comparing the worst of 2012 to the best of 2014 did not meet your high standards.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

shrughes posted:

Why would anybody care about the ratio of Haswell's idle power consumption to Sandy Bridge's full-tilt power consumption?
Read it again. The note about idle power is in a different sentence than the one about full-tilt power consumption, and are unrelated (though they illustrate the same point).

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

DrDork posted:

Read it again. The note about idle power is in a different sentence than the one about full-tilt power consumption, and are unrelated (though they illustrate the same point).

What ratio is "a third" talking about then?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Hadlock posted:

a full i5 haswell desktop barely cracks 34 watts under full load. Sandy bridge desktop chips were rated to 95w.

Kind of off topic but where are you getting that information from?

From what I've seen the Haswell desktop parts are around the same under load as Ivybridge was (idle is better). Also the TDP of the Haswell parts is a little higher, presumably because of the faster GPU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
You can look it up on Intel ARK:

Haswell: http://ark.intel.com/products/family/75023/4th-Generation-Intel-Core-i7-Processors#@Mobile

Sandy Bridge: http://ark.intel.com/products/family/59136/2nd-Generation-Intel-Core-i7-Processors#@Mobile

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Apr 29, 2014

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

There are Haswell mobile cpus that have 47W TDP, greater than any Sandy Bridge model. Those links do not show what you seem to think they do.

Haswell earns it power advantage by having lower idle consumption and being generally faster than Sandy at a given wattage, so it can return to idle or nearly-idle state faster. At full bore, torture test-type benchmarking, Haswell *will* consume more power. Of course, it'll do quite a bit more work for a given time period.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
The MBA is 100MHz faster and $100 cheaper now.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

gently caress I wish that happened a month sooner.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

I swear the T440p advertised a M.2 slot at one point. Now I just see an option that googling associates with the TPM. :tinfoil:

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

The refurbs have dropped in price as well, making them a very good value for a very nice light machine with long battery life.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So Beema and Mullins just landed. Aaaand that's all there is to say about that!

No seriously, it's very impressive technology, but business laptops aren't due for a refresh anytime soon (see earlier discussion) and while AMD is well-positioned for Back To School, you'd really want to see them move to the next size process and/or reap the benefits of Samsung's FinFET process being licensed to GloFo. But of course, we won't see that for a year, year-and-a-half.

So... business as usual!

EDIT: And I almost forgot: You really want to see them also start putting voltage regulators on-chip!

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 29, 2014

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK
Has Intel actually worked out the issues with the 7260AC wireless cards (I don't mean setting the card to G-only, but actually correcting whatever the hell was actually wrong)? I still need to get a new laptop, but I've had nothing but poo poo luck with Lenovo's wireless cards.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I think they fixed all the issues with drivers?

I know I'll catch flack for it here but I opted $15 for the Bigfoot network killer 1202 :kiddo:

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
So my Yoga 2 Pro, which I was happy with, got stolen. gently caress.

Has anything changed since it came out that would be incentive not to replace it with another one of the same?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How are Lenovo refurb units?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

hooah posted:

How are Lenovo refurb units?

Generally good, I have bought about 12 refurbished laptops and desktop from the outlet for work. My only issues have been 1 bad laptop battery and 1 incorrect power cord both were resolved in a day or two.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Is there some kind of laptop database I can filter by various specs? It's hard to search on retail sites because each of them excludes a couple of brands. I'd rather find the laptop I want and then look for somewhere to buy it.

Also, is it worth trying to find somewhere that sells OS-free laptops if I'm never gonna use Windows? Or is there not actually much of a price difference?

Finally, just in case someone happens to have a recommendation: I'm looking for a 13 inch laptop for around £1000 ($1700) - as light as possible, and with as much ram as possible, and ideally not touchscreen (although every ultrabook also seems to be a tablet now?).

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Is the x240 Thinkpad with the i3-4010U any good? 800€ seems kinda steep for that, even with the (unnecessary) UMTS module.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Sereri posted:

Is the x240 Thinkpad with the i3-4010U any good? 800€ seems kinda steep for that, even with the (unnecessary) UMTS module.
Do you not get the option to upgrade? In the US it's only $50 more for the i5.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sereri posted:

The x240 is missing physical mouse buttons, you get an apple-style trackpad, if this is something that matters to you

Otherwise it's a pretty good laptop from the few users here that have one

The i3 does have vt-x and vt-d so you shouldn't have any trouble emulating an x86 android device, but it does not have turbo boost, which is going to severely limit the power of the device, i5 does have this

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

LogicNinja posted:

So my Yoga 2 Pro, which I was happy with, got stolen. gently caress.

Has anything changed since it came out that would be incentive not to replace it with another one of the same?

In the hybrid world, no, I haven't seen anything. If you enjoy the tablet/laptop thing and want a pen, that's probably the laptop you want. What are your parameters?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Well my laptop died. The lil fella had been on his way out, I literally have duct tape and packing tape holding the screen together.

So I'm looking for a laptop that I can throw in a backpack and hike around town with, that has an i5, an SSD, can reasonably play newish games at reasonable frame rates, do some minor video editing and a price cap of 1400.

From suggestions in this thread I was thinking of the x240 and sticking in an SSD, is that stupid? I've made real dumb decisions (really super dumb) with laptops before, so I don't really trust myself on this one.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

sugar free jazz posted:

From suggestions in this thread I was thinking of the x240 and sticking in an SSD, is that stupid? I've made real dumb decisions (really super dumb) with laptops before, so I don't really trust myself on this one.

No it's a fine decision, but a dumb decision might be getting the cheapest non-IPS 1366x768 option, or not upgrading the wifi card.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

sugar free jazz posted:

Well my laptop died. The lil fella had been on his way out, I literally have duct tape and packing tape holding the screen together.

So I'm looking for a laptop that I can throw in a backpack and hike around town with, that has an i5, an SSD, can reasonably play newish games at reasonable frame rates, do some minor video editing and a price cap of 1400.

You should be able to pick up the x240 i5 with 1080p touchscreen at that price. That's my top recommendation in your case. My x230 lives in an unpadded canvas sleeve in my bicycle pannier and travels with me internationally, no problems.

Other options are the Yoga 2 pro or Samsung AITV+ at that price point, but slightly less durable.

Please post photos of your duct taped display for the class, I'd like to use it as an example of why we don't recommend $400 best buy laptops in this thread

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

sugar free jazz posted:

$1450 is what I paid for my X240 with the nice screen, better wifi, the base i5 and Win 8 Pro, plus an 8GB stick of RAM and high-end SSD that I bought separately. I also opted for the extended battery which was $5 more.

I haul it around in my backpack and it still looks like new. I haven't tried any intense games on it but it ran Civ 5 just fine at native resolution.

Let me know if you have any questions.

snoozeallday
Sep 9, 2010

tell him all your problems . . . he's fucking awesome with listening
Is it just me or did the price of the t440s w/ touchscreen go up because of the way they are now selling it? Touchscreen used to be one of the available machines you selected and then customized, now the touchscreen is just a customization and the total price seems higher than before.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Maybe it's because the touch screen models are more likely to have the AUO screen.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Thinking of buying a laptop for VFX. I'm in Canada on a working holiday which is why I don't want to invest in a full-on desktop, as I want to take it back home with me. Shipping it back home just isn't an option for me, otherwise I would have shipped my desktop from the UK. My main requirement is that it has a quadro, which I know are pretty expensive. Looking at a budget of around $1000 but will probably have to go higher than that. Was looking at Dell Precision, but interested in alternatives.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

3 months old, and my x240 has picked up a ~7mm long crack in the outer plastic case right by one of the hinges. I do treat my laptop roughly, but had never had a single crack develop in my x61, x200, or x230. Lenovo :mad:

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Here's some iPhone pictures that were asked for. The original one I got from HP idled at some crazy high temp and kept overheating and crashing, so after a month or so of dealing with tech support I got this one, which is between one and two years old. The power supply also exploded. It hadn't been working great for a while so I shuffled it around until it worked and taped it in place to the floor. Turns out that was really dumb to do, and I make bad decisions. Spending the extra few hundred bucks is worth it kiddos!

My Former Power Cord, Tripper of Breakers, Thing That Coulda Killed My rear end.

Side view. It's actually closed, the hinges went wonky. If the screen is open I can freely slide it up and down on what's left of the hinges.

See what I mean about it being closed? Gotta fiddle with it a bit to make it really close.The molding around the screen is actually cracked and broken under the tape on both sides, it falls off without the tape.

Packaging tape on the back, taped the corners real tight. I forget how many layers that is, but I think it's at least six.

It's kinda hard to see but on the bottom almost the whole thing is taped together. There's a bunch of packing tape under the duct tape too. Poor lil guy is a trooper. At least it's not anywhere near as broken as my last Dell laptop, now that thing was a Piece-O-poo poo.

Edit phone posting, not sure why links are broken.

Thanks dude \/\/\/

sugar free jazz fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 1, 2014

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

sugar free jazz posted:

Here's some iPhone pictures that were asked for. The original one I got from HP idled at some crazy high temp and kept overheating and crashing, so after a month or so of dealing with tech support I got this one, which is between one and two years old. The power supply also exploded. It hadn't been working great for a while so I shuffled it around until it worked and taped it in place to the floor. Turns out that was really dumb to do, and I make bad decisions. Spending the extra few hundred bucks is worth it kiddos!

My Former Power Cord, Tripper of Breakers, Thing That Coulda Killed My rear end.

Side view. It's actually closed, the hinges went wonky. If the screen is open I can freely slide it up and down on what's left of the hinges.

See what I mean about it being closed? Gotta fiddle with it a bit to make it really close.The molding around the screen is actually cracked and broken under the tape on both sides, it falls off without the tape.

Packaging tape on the back, taped the corners real tight. I forget how many layers that is, but I think it's at least six.

It's kinda hard to see but on the bottom almost the whole thing is taped together. There's a bunch of packing tape under the duct tape too. Poor lil guy is a trooper. At least it's not anywhere near as broken as my last Dell laptop, now that thing was a Piece-O-poo poo.

Edit phone posting, not sure why links are broken.

It's kinda hard to see because you put the page's url under those timg tags, instead of the actual image itself.

EDIT: Quoted his post, fixed the urls for him, since he's posting on a phone.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 1, 2014

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
If you're going to treat your system like that then you're going to break it even if you grab something with decent build quality.

For that reason I'd say get a cheap ex lease X220/230 or 2560/2570p - you want be playing games particularly well on them but you're also not going to be ruining an expensive machine.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

dissss posted:

If you're going to treat your system like that then you're going to break it even if you grab something with decent build quality.

For that reason I'd say get a cheap ex lease X220/230 or 2560/2570p - you want be playing games particularly well on them but you're also not going to be ruining an expensive machine.

I actually treated this computer very well. When I moved it, I put it in a padded case. I never dropped it, didn't yank open the screen, didn't throw it around, or use it as a cup holder. I was really careful with this thing, because even cheap computers are expensive. If you wanna tell me how I treated it like poo poo go ahead though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

HP pretty much makes garbage so none of those pictures were very surprising if you've had to support them. The only HP hardware I'd ever recommend is their Microserver.