Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
The retina mini is also my first iDevice and it's absolutely amazing. Left it at a friend's place for three days, came to pick it up and was astonished that it still had just about the same charge as I left it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

iOS 7.1.1 is out.

quote:

- Further improvements to Touch ID fingerprint recognition
- Fixes a bug that could impact keyboard responsiveness
- Fixes an issue when using Bluetooth keyboards with VoiceOver enabled

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Please send me an iPad with TouchID. TIA.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
7.1.1 also fixes another SSL bug.

It's not a good year for SSL implementations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

jototo posted:

The retina minis are on Apple's refurbished store for $329. Refurbished iPads are essentially identical to brand new ones. You should definitely get a retina mini instead of getting a non retina iPad Mini.

Edit: missed that you already got one. Good choice. I just picked one up yesterday. Loving it so far.

drat is that a good buy and good price.

jototo
Sep 3, 2003

I've been using this retina mini for the past week or so, but frequently when playing youtube videos it will stop for a second, like it's buffering, and then go black for a second and then resume the video with lower resolution before reverting back to HD. Sometimes the video will freeze on a frame while the audio keeps going. It's pretty frustrating. I know it's not my internet connection/wireless router. I've got 30mb/s down and an AirPort Extreme. My macbook, PS3, and Nexus 4 do not have this issue. Any idea if my specific iPad is having an issue or if this is a known iPad/OS7/iOS YouTube app thing?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

jototo posted:

I've been using this retina mini for the past week or so, but frequently when playing youtube videos it will stop for a second, like it's buffering, and then go black for a second and then resume the video with lower resolution before reverting back to HD. Sometimes the video will freeze on a frame while the audio keeps going. It's pretty frustrating. I know it's not my internet connection/wireless router. I've got 30mb/s down and an AirPort Extreme. My macbook, PS3, and Nexus 4 do not have this issue. Any idea if my specific iPad is having an issue or if this is a known iPad/OS7/iOS YouTube app thing?

Haven't noticed this issue on YouTube with my iPad Air. Tried uninstalling / reinstalling the YouTube app?

E: does this happen if you use the YouTube website?

jototo
Sep 3, 2003

DarkJC posted:

Haven't noticed this issue on YouTube with my iPad Air. Tried uninstalling / reinstalling the YouTube app?

E: does this happen if you use the YouTube website?

I'll try doing that. I haven't tried the website yet. I'll check it out on Safari/Chrome. Seems like other people are complaining about video quality/UI issues for the latest app version on the app store reviews.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
What's the easiest way to get movies and/or TV shows onto an iPad so that you can watch them later without streaming? My commute involves flying across the country every week in the back of airplanes that have lovely or nonexistent wifi. The iTunes store seems the most convenient but a single season of say, Archer, costs the same as 4 months of streaming netflix.

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm looking for legit methods. Not :filez:

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 29, 2014

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

KodiakRS posted:

What's the easiest way to get movies and/or TV shows onto an iPad so that you can watch them later without streaming? My commute involves flying across the country every week in the back of airplanes that have lovely or nonexistent wifi. The iTunes store seems the most convenient but a single season of say, Archer, costs the same as 4 months of streaming netflix.

I'm not sure what you are looking for -- you're basically saying, I want to stream without using the Internet. Only Amazon offers a download feature of its "streaming" service but that is only to Kindle Fire tablets. You can purchase a season off amazon and download it to the Amazon instant video app, but you'd still be paying for the season, or any episodes.

The iPad can play m4v/mp4 files. ffmpeg (on a mac) can convert almost any video file into an iPad compatible format.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

FlashBangBob posted:

Only Amazon offers a download feature of its "streaming" service.

This is exactly what I'm looking for. Some sort of subscription based service that lets you download files but doesn't charge you for each individual one.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

KodiakRS posted:

This is exactly what I'm looking for. Some sort of subscription based service that lets you download files but doesn't charge you for each individual one.

Right this is what you're looking for but its not available for the iPad. You can only download purchased content to the Instant Video app on the iPad. The download of the "free streaming" stuff in Amazon is only permitted to the Kindle Fire's that Amazon sells.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Can anyone recommend a durable power cord for an iPad Air? I've broken two cables in a week .

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

SnatchRabbit posted:

Can anyone recommend a durable power cord for an iPad Air? I've broken two cables in a week .

Maybe skip arms day and do some cardio?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

Maybe buy the DVDs/BDs and rip them yourself? Actually stuff might have download vouchers, like some movies I've gotten have ways to redeem the iTunes version. Not sure if that's common or not with TV shows though.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

KodiakRS posted:

I hate Comcast with a fiery vengeance, but their app allows you to do this.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Just FYI: TC-11 is going on sale this Friday. I hear you all like sales.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

lord funk posted:

Awesome! Looks very cool and I think my kid will enjoy it too (he loves music apps like Figure and Musyc)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

lord funk posted:

We do like sales.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I just got a weird message on my iPad telling me it couldn't back up to iCloud for lack of space. I went to the settings and saw my backup was 2.5gb at 12:35 today and the new backup was supposed to be 3.2gb. I've not even used my iPad today...what in the hell could've changed in two hours to cause a 700mb swing in my backup size? I've also gone through the data being backed up and deleted it all. Even then it still says my backup will be 3gb in size.

Any ideas outside of just paying Apple for more space?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

suddenlyissoon posted:

I just got a weird message on my iPad telling me it couldn't back up to iCloud for lack of space. I went to the settings and saw my backup was 2.5gb at 12:35 today and the new backup was supposed to be 3.2gb. I've not even used my iPad today...what in the hell could've changed in two hours to cause a 700mb swing in my backup size? I've also gone through the data being backed up and deleted it all. Even then it still says my backup will be 3gb in size.

Any ideas outside of just paying Apple for more space?

Do you have an app with a lot of stored data set to backup to iCloud?

I had that problem with AVPlayer and it tried uploading its whole documents folder, IE, few gigs of tv shows to iCloud. You can see all that in the storage section of iOS settings.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

eddiewalker posted:

Do you have an app with a lot of stored data set to backup to iCloud?

I had that problem with AVPlayer and it tried uploading its whole documents folder, IE, few gigs of tv shows to iCloud. You can see all that in the storage section of iOS settings.

Nope. I've actually turned off the app backups for all files and it says I have less than 1mb of documents. It just looks like the actual backup of settings and such is over 3gb.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
For me, it was photos and videos in text messages. Deleting them got my backup down to a gig or so.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

eddiewalker posted:

How did you solve that problem? What I mean is; how do you do your backups without iCloud also trying to backup stuff from the AVPlayer documents folder?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Xabi posted:

How did you solve that problem? What I mean is; how do you do your backups without iCloud also trying to backup stuff from the AVPlayer documents folder?

It was a setting in the app itself to turn off backup, then I had to delete what had already been uploaded from Settings>General>Usage>iCloud.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

rio posted:

I woke up this morning and all of my contacts are gone and my calendar is blank. I had a ton of things in both of them - any ideas what happened and if there is a way to fix it?

E: my mail is gone too. Which is all in the cloud but still, why are all of these things no longer on my ipad?

E2: Well, problem solved...everything under Mail, Contacts, Calendars in settings was checked as off, and it wasn't syncing with iCloud. Backups were also off. Still confusing how that could happen. The only thing I did differently than usual last night was enable "do not disturb" so I have no idea what happened.

I know this was a while back, but I had the same thing happen to my iPhone 4S. When I Googled it, turns out this wasn't an isolated problem. Unlike you, though, it kept happening: my contacts and calendar would come back, but then disappear again later.

Just in case anyone else comes across this issue, turning off Do Not Disturb and turning on Reduce Motion (under the General->Acessibility settings option) got it to finally stop screwing around with my contacts and calendar.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

^
I had just recently used Do Not Disturb before that incident - something I really never use - so that sounds like it is connected to the problem.

Re: an ipad stylus. I am looking for a fine point stylus, and of course there are a ton of styli to look through after google searches. Something that could draw well would be neat, but I am looking primarily for accuracy and a thin point of contact (this is for music notation).

I was initial looking at something like the Adonit Jot Pro, but read a lot of reviews of people scratching their screens with that one. Then there are others that look cool but are like 75 bucks. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned the capacitive fiber stylus but those tips look a bit too big to be accurate. Anyone have any suggestions?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

rio posted:

^
I had just recently used Do Not Disturb before that incident - something I really never use - so that sounds like it is connected to the problem.

Re: an ipad stylus. I am looking for a fine point stylus, and of course there are a ton of styli to look through after google searches. Something that could draw well would be neat, but I am looking primarily for accuracy and a thin point of contact (this is for music notation).

I was initial looking at something like the Adonit Jot Pro, but read a lot of reviews of people scratching their screens with that one. Then there are others that look cool but are like 75 bucks. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned the capacitive fiber stylus but those tips look a bit too big to be accurate. Anyone have any suggestions?

They're all about as accurate as each other unless an app's software explicitly supports a particular stylus, as they'll simply be interpreted as a finger without driver style support.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

How well does the non-Retina Mini handle iOS 7? I have a 64GB Mini that my son uses and it's bugging me for an update (currently running 6.0.2), but I don't want to do it if it's going to run like my old iPhone 4 did after upgrading to iOS 7.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Digital Jesus posted:

How well does the non-Retina Mini handle iOS 7? I have a 64GB Mini that my son uses and it's bugging me for an update (currently running 6.0.2), but I don't want to do it if it's going to run like my old iPhone 4 did after upgrading to iOS 7.

It's adequate for sure, but I've deliberately avoided using a better iPad with iOS 7 - so take that for what it's worth.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
It's not as bad as the iPhone 4, no other device is. The iPhone 4 has the A4 in it, the only single core iDevice to support iOS 7. The non-retina mini uses the A5.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Digital Jesus posted:

I use a non retina mini with the latest iOS 7 and it's not bad. If you use it heavily switching between apps it will have a hesitation, so I would say that is noticeable, but definitely not the "crash or just plain doesn't work" that the iPhone 4 has with iOS 7. I do have reduce motion turned on and would recommend that, just for the record.

Overall, at this point I would say go for it. It'll mean all apps work with the device, and it runs well.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

EDIT: I follow too many iOS device threads.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 7, 2014

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Well, I ordered an Adonit jot pro, so if anyone is interested I could give impressions. I have tried a few different styli on NotateMe (a music notation app) and it is just too imprecise having large tips.

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
Anything in the rumor mill about a possible better Ipad display for the next update? My dad is buying my Ipad 3 retina so I might be getting an Ipad Air soon.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
No one knows.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mang Tomas posted:

Anything in the rumor mill about a possible better Ipad display for the next update? My dad is buying my Ipad 3 retina so I might be getting an Ipad Air soon.
How would you improve the display? I mean, unless you plan to look at it under a microscope?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's a rumor the iPhone 6 will use sapphire to cover the screen the same way it protects the camera. It could show up on the iPad someday.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I'm so happy with my Air I wouldn't hesitate in buying another one today if I needed another iPad for some reason. I can't imagine anything they could add to a new model this year that would make me ditch the Air (watch it happen anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

2gigs RAM and the fingerprint thing.