Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Cabadillo posted:

You can aim with magic, too! The Binoculars, which are hidden off the ledge to the right of the exit of Places Betwixt into Majula, along with some other goodies like a mace and a chime, can be off-handed while you cast spells. Don't play a mage without them!

This changed my wizard life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Cabadillo posted:

I find that it takes a while if you do it as soon as you're able to enter the covenant; people are a little skittish about attacking a place where you have to fight two black phantoms, a bunch of evil midgets, and six gargoyles so they come back later when their Soul Total is a little higher.

I randomly stumbled into the Belltower (The Dark Souls series is *serious* about its exploration) and must be a masochist because I dove headlong into that poo poo. Getting utterly wrecked by the gargoyles but Bellbroing it up is fantastic.

I love the people who figure they're just going to camp the entrance bridge when they get invaded and just keep their shield up. It gives them no room for maneuver and I just slam them with the Force miracle until they fall over, fall off, or man up and fight.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Minorkos posted:

It's kind of a mystery. Going from 85 to 99-ish is huge and you will definitely notice it. Going from 99 and up, apparently not so much. Remember that you don't even need that any extra frames once you can reliably roll through attacks. Raise it to like 90 at first, then see how much more you need by just playing the game.

With 20 Endurance and 20 Adaptability I've got 96 at the moment. Rolls work okay but that didn't stop the Gargoyles from nicking me at the worst possible times. I just used a shield a lot. Seems to work fine otherwise though. Attunement increases adaptability too right? I might just use that to get it to 100 Agility and leave it at that.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Mzbundifund posted:

This changed my wizard life.

It works even better with things like lightning spears. Soul arrows seem to have a more limited range for sniping, although it can be done.

It's great for taking out those poison trap statues.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

randomcommoner posted:

This was basically me my first playthrough :v: except I also had a sword + shield for some fights
Seriously I love using ultra greatswords even if I'm not good with them at all in pvp.

As someone who typically does faster, lighter-armored types with quick weapons, I can tell you that ultra greatswords are friggin' scary, shearing off a good half of my health bar if they actually connect. So, git yerself gud and you may become a force to be reckoned with.

Incidentally, I hear that the zweihander is pretty versatile in PvP in this game, particularly when enhanced in any way. Not the monster it was in the first, but its moveset is still a nice toolbox of pain.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Are Tokens of Spite as completely worthless as they seem?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Elysiume posted:

Are Tokens of Spite as completely worthless as they seem?

Yes.

However I will still Pra-Pra-Pra nerds to death for them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

After all the pvp I've done it was not a fun surprise to learn Belfry Sol doesn't actually tell you when a grey phantom appears.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I'm running a strength/faith paladin-esque build using lightning defender greatsword as my weapon. What would be a good heavy shield and heavy armor to pair with it, aside from havels?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Minorkos posted:

Remember that you can only guard break enemies holding their shields up. There aren't that many enemies that are guard breakable, only humanoids with shields.

Wait, you can't riposte after guard breaking enemies without shields? So guard break on an enemy without shield just stun them for a bit and nothing else?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Studio posted:

Yes.

However I will still Pra-Pra-Pra nerds to death for them.
Why can't you do something like trade 5 Tokens of Spite for a Cracked Red-Eye Orb or something. Boo.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Where should I be sunbroing at SL93/900k SM? I'm trying the Iron keep but everyone dies on the last boss and it's annoying.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So, discussing the "you can't play online if you got VAC-Banned" thing, I have a question regarding this game's various means of banning hackers and poor sports from online play. Do people actually get VAC bans from this game its self? Or is it just the one sided prior bans keep you from playing this?

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Nuebot posted:

So, discussing the "you can't play online if you got VAC-Banned" thing, I have a question regarding this game's various means of banning hackers and poor sports from online play. Do people actually get VAC bans from this game its self? Or is it just the one sided prior bans keep you from playing this?

Both ish.

There's a bug where people who have a VAC ban in any game can not play Dark Souls 2 online/are "banned" from it. This is not intended (to my knowledge).

As of today's patch, VAC is active in Dark Souls 2 and you can get banned from the game for cheating. This will not ban you from other VAC games (again, to my knowledge).

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Umberger posted:

Both ish.

There's a bug where people who have a VAC ban in any game can not play Dark Souls 2 online/are "banned" from it. This is not intended (to my knowledge).

As of today's patch, VAC is active in Dark Souls 2 and you can get banned from the game for cheating. This will not ban you from other VAC games (again, to my knowledge).

Seriously? Where are the patch notes?

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Artificer posted:

Dunno about patch note, but it's listed on the Steam page now, as well.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Artificer posted:

Check the store page. Underneath the game rating you will see "Valve Anti-Cheat enabled".

e: ^^^^ The only proper patch note was that the startup crash was fixed. With the delayed nature of VAC bans I suppose it may be a short while before we know if the game is really VAC enabled (I don't know if there are any other methods of checking if it is, i.e. looking for a certain running process).

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

So much for hacking myself a Barrel :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

I know that each character gets one or two chances to respec but for some reason that's not making it any easier to pick what stats to build/experiment with.

Try 5 per lap. Try all you want.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You can also get more Soul Vessels (and any other items) by resetting an area containing one using Bonfire Ascetic.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Dreggon posted:

So much for hacking myself a Barrel :v:

I don't think VAC can do much to stop "soft" hacking. That is, I think if you do save editing or offline mode memory editing (I'd imagine this requires Steam to be offline, not just Dark Souls 2) then you're fine. The problem comes from actively editing the memory in some capacity while VAC is active. It's possible but very very unlikely that this will "catch" certain .dll fixes/hacks/mods which may be problematic, but again, very unlikely. I am unaware of any case in which ENB alone caused a VAC ban.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What's the best way to do some sort of invasion against a friend?
We want to practice PvP against each other but Red Orbs are annoying to grind and Red Soapstone requiers the user to be human.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's nice that red summon signs show up while hollow. Do dragon ones as well? I may switch to the brotherhood of blood because at SL100 both belfries are dead as far as pvp goes for me.

e: Does one hit from a poison weapon really stun you that long? poo poo, I need to start using these.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 29, 2014

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Someone duel me in the BoB, I need red eyes tia.

edit: Seriously I can get a sigil duel in like 10-15 seconds consistently but I'm waiting here for two minutes without a duel yet.
edit2: Got a duel, hit someone with an attack that normally deals ~20% of someone's health for so little damage that I couldn't see it. :qq:

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 29, 2014

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

I know that each character gets one or two chances to respec but for some reason that's not making it any easier to pick what stats to build/experiment with.

Later in the game you can farm respec items infinitely using bonfire ascetics (which you get two of per ascetic used thus making it infinitely farmable)

Guide can be found here <---spoilers if you have not yet beaten the crypt and accessed the giant memories

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

RBA Starblade posted:

It's nice that red summon signs show up while hollow. Do dragon ones as well? I may switch to the brotherhood of blood because at SL100 both belfries are dead as far as pvp goes for me.

e: Does one hit from a poison weapon really stun you that long? poo poo, I need to start using these.

SL does not matter, its all about soul memory.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FrickenMoron posted:

SL does not matter, its all about soul memory.

Oh right. Well at SL100 or 866k, it doesn't matter. Not that much pvp going in them! The summons are good though. Especially at the Iron Keep bridge!

e: Oh there it goes. In Luna even!

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 29, 2014

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh right. Well at SL100 or 866k, it doesn't matter. Not that much pvp going on!
Drop a red soapstone in front of Bridge Approach in Huntsman's Copse. At ~800k SM I'm getting constant summons.

Or try the BoB dueling arena even though I'm having a lot of trouble actually getting duels.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The entry bridge to the Iron Keep seems to have three or four red signs all the time and 80% of the time when I tap one it says someone else beat me to it. Maybe try there?

edit: I'm about your Soul Memory level too.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Lucatiel of Mirrah stuff: I just discovered that she needs to be summoned in 3/4 boss fights to finish her quest and I've already done two (sentry and sinner). Is it possible/not totally insane to ascetic resurrect either boss and summon her, or am I completely unable to get that swanky outfit during this playthrough?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Elysiume posted:

Drop a red soapstone in front of Bridge Approach in Huntsman's Copse. At ~800k SM I'm getting constant summons.

Or try the BoB dueling arena even though I'm having a lot of trouble actually getting duels.

Yeah I'm switching once I've ground out the rest of the bell keeper stuff. Only 20 to go!

Also, gently caress me, a rapier can hit me inbetween multiple swings of my longsword. Am I that slow at 98 agility?

e: Nevermind, I'm lagging. A LOT.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 29, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah I'm switching once I've ground out the rest of the bell keeper stuff. Only 20 to go!

Also, gently caress me, a rapier can hit me inbetween multiple swings of my longsword. Am I that slow at 98 agility?

e: Nevermind, I'm lagging.

Rapiers are ridiculously fast. A guy using a rapier against me was able to chain stab me with it like 5 times just because it was so quick. Probably really nasty in combination with poison. Maybe that unique scorpion stinger is worth using.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Jack Trades posted:

What's the best way to do some sort of invasion against a friend?
We want to practice PvP against each other but Red Orbs are annoying to grind and Red Soapstone requiers the user to be human.

I was going to say that the dragon covenant seems like it was tailor made for this exact thing, but apparently its item functions nearly exactly like the red soapstone anyway.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Internet Kraken posted:

Rapiers are ridiculously fast. A guy using a rapier against me was able to chain stab me with it like 5 times just because it was so quick. Probably really nasty in combination with poison. Maybe that unique scorpion stinger is worth using.

Yeah, but I think it's lagging and not their speed because they're staggering from my blows, then recovering midblow, and getting their attacks off. Unless that's how rapiers are supposed to work now, I didn't try them out yet.

e: Nope, lag. Got chainkilled while the other guy was being hit by the guard break (which is still pointless online, but habit I guess).

e: This is unplayable now. I'll try again later.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 29, 2014

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I really enjoy the Bastard Sword but was planning to switch over to a late game weapon that I've heard a lot about (Defender Greatsword) for a Faith based build...and then I realized that the weapon in question is more or less end-game. I don't want to wait that long, but would a Lightning Bastard Sword be a significant improvement over a standard +10 Bastard Sword for a Faith based build?

It seems like the Faith scaling would synergize well, and I'd like to get into using miracles and stuff.

Edit: I just beat the Lost Sinner. Could I head for the Iron Keep for the Infusion capabilities or should I go somewhere else? Where do I go afterwards anyways?

Artificer fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 29, 2014

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
OK so power stance cestus is much better, but it's still a really drat hard way to play. I think I'll go back to my sword 'n board cleric for the first playthrough.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Laughing Zealot posted:

Lucatiel of Mirrah stuff: I just discovered that she needs to be summoned in 3/4 boss fights to finish her quest and I've already done two (sentry and sinner). Is it possible/not totally insane to ascetic resurrect either boss and summon her, or am I completely unable to get that swanky outfit during this playthrough?

You can Ascetic an area and it will count. You can even do the same boss 3 times. It's "successfully kill 3 bosses while she is summoned to your world" basically.

Booya
Feb 17, 2012
I have committed genocide against the lion men to get their lion pants, and I still don't have them. Is there a merchant I can buy this poo poo from?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shockwave isn't nearly as fun as the description makes it out to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Is there a reason for the raw upgrade path existing in this game as compared to Dark Souls 1? Seems like any elemental infusion would be a better choice 98% of the time.