Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
shoo, i have a cold and i'm not in my right mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

detectivemonkey posted:

Anemia sucks so even if it's not blood donation related it's good to keep your iron up.

If they were desperate for blood the FDA would let gay men donate, so don't feel too bad.

Yeah I know it's a ridiculous rule, they screen blood anyway. The last blood test I had indicated low iron so of course I worry excessively about it but maybe it was just a fluke. :unsmith:

stimulated emission posted:

i wanted to sign up for that marrow donation site but they dont like the particular flavor of sadbrains that was once my main diagnosis, and since its on paper in my medical records im screwed i suppose

Woah they screen for mental health stuff? Just looked it up and it doesn't seem like there's a legit medical reason for that, especially if it's not your actual, final diagnosis. But yeah once you've gotten a lovely misdiagnosis it's hard to get rid of it in the world of psychology. :(

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Tora! Tora! Tora! posted:

I was gonna say that's not right 'cause I gave blood when I weighted like 111 lbs but then realized you're talking about a different kinda blood donation. I'd never heard of double red cell donation.

I'm always too low on iron to donate even the regular donation. Even when I'm not technically anemic (which I can barely squeak past if I take a lot of iron supplements), I'm still too low for the blood donation cut-off. The only time I ever was able to donate was in high school when I dieted obsessively (hence weighing 111 lbs) and ate nothing but Lucky Charms. The iron fortification must've worked.

I will buy your diet book.

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

i just thought the answer was really funny because most of the other questions on the page are answer with "if you did x yea you can give blood" or "nah you cant" but if you kissed a boy you get a thesis

I had to search for quite a while to get maybe a year?

Avshalom posted:

i had my reasons

Be careful! Your nice new av, av!

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
post about your cutest fart

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

amarantinesky posted:

Yeah I know it's a ridiculous rule, they screen blood anyway. The last blood test I had indicated low iron so of course I worry excessively about it but maybe it was just a fluke. :unsmith:

Woah they screen for mental health stuff? Just looked it up and it doesn't seem like there's a legit medical reason for that, especially if it's not your actual, final diagnosis. But yeah once you've gotten a lovely misdiagnosis it's hard to get rid of it in the world of psychology. :(

just a specific set of illnesses, not like the entirety of the sadbrains spectrum

e: in this case the bone marrow of the specific set of illnesses is different somehow, or some kind of actual medical reason

e^2 great time for all scientific journals to not load on my connection. was gonna pull up a paper or two

stimulated emission fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 29, 2014

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

AriadneThread posted:

I faint just getting a blood test done, I haven't tried my luck with donating.

Is it a needle phobia or are you a tough stick?

I HATE needles and am a super tough stick but when I've donated, it's not been too bad - it usually goes pretty quickly and as long as you don't look over at the bag if you're squeamish, it's ok. Plus somehow the mentality makes it less frustrating, "I'm doing this because donating blood" is a lot nicer than "ugh blood tests again"

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

detectivemonkey posted:

Be careful! Your nice new av, av!
i am guilty of nothing but raw sex appeal and flagrant disregard for the rules

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

detectivemonkey posted:

I will buy your diet book.

Breakfast: shoplifted Vivarin and old school Dexatrim from before when they took out the stuff that gives you heart attacks.
Mid-morning snack: Vivarin
Lunch: Diet Coke
Mid-afternoon snack: Vivarin
Dinner: one cup of Lucky Charms. Pick out the marshmallow treats and save them for dessert.

Friday and Saturday splurges: get wasted on sangria or Boone's Farm, spend the early morning puking. Immediately hop on the scale to record lowest weight of the day.

I had a problematic relationship with food.

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

Avshalom posted:

shoo, i have a cold and i'm not in my right mind

Yeah :( :hfive: for feeling out of it

As much as I appreciate anyone posting jokes in the parenting thread, sleep deprived new parents might be overeager to hit the report button. It's probably better to avoid looking in serious forums when you're feeling weird, the same way that you shouldn't go grocery shopping when you're hungry or you'll end up with a ton of unhealthy poo poo.

I don't know if that comparison works but my brain is broken so I'll leave it.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Avshalom posted:

i am guilty of nothing but raw sex appeal and flagrant disregard for the rules

A rebel with seriously absolutely no cause whatsoever. Ozma please protect our little renegade!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
you could try the la ceo diet which is three cans of diet coke (or coke zero) and a multivitamin

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Breakfast: shoplifted Vivarin and old school Dexatrim from before when they took out the stuff that gives you heart attacks.
Dinner: one cup of Lucky Charms. Pick out the marshmallow treats and save them for dessert.

Friday and Saturday splurges: get wasted on sangria or Boone's Farm, spend the early morning puking. Immediately hop on the scale to record lowest weight of the day.

:(

my high school diet was embarrassing for different reasons in that it involved a lot of microwaved quesadillas and hot pockets

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

I am glad you have combatted those feelings through cat ownership and construction projects <3

Also glad to know that one can survive on Lucky Charms alone. You should tell parenting thread, I'm sure that will allay many of their fears.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

viscous wolves posted:

my high school diet was embarrassing for different reasons in that it involved a lot of microwaved quesadillas and hot pockets

One year in high school I tried to give up Slurpees and those 7-11 pizza roll sticks. I lasted 24 hours, max.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

detectivemonkey posted:

A rebel with seriously absolutely no cause whatsoever. Ozma please protect our little renegade!
ozma is not my friend :smith:

i try to always be kind as i emotionally terrorise my way through ilfe

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

stimulated emission posted:

just a specific set of illnesses, not like the entirety of the sadbrains spectrum

e: in this case the bone marrow of the specific set of illnesses is different somehow, or some kind of actual medical reason

e^2 great time for all scientific journals to not load on my connection. was gonna pull up a paper or two

Yeah I saw that it was only a particular subset but they didn't cite a reason on the site I was on. I'm really interested to hear that it has an effect on the bone marrow though! I've never heard of that before and I'm very curious about it, but I'm glad to hear it's not totally arbitrary.

Tora your high school diet sounds awful, but at least Lucky Charms have a very limited nutritional value?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Debbie Metallica posted:

Is it a needle phobia or are you a tough stick?

I HATE needles and am a super tough stick but when I've donated, it's not been too bad - it usually goes pretty quickly and as long as you don't look over at the bag if you're squeamish, it's ok. Plus somehow the mentality makes it less frustrating, "I'm doing this because donating blood" is a lot nicer than "ugh blood tests again"

I'm not sure what tough stick means in this context, but i'm pretty much a pile of skin and bones. Also, I've had trouble with work a couple of times 'forgetting' to let me take my meal and then I start getting dizzy and/or loopy.
It's actually been years since I've been to the doctor, I keep meaning to make an appointment but it always seems like more important stuff comes up first

I'll keep that in mind though, you're right. It's certainly a lot more positive a cause

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I can't give blood because I weigh 100 lbs.

Also, I am terrified of needles.

Both of these things make me unable to donate blood.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
i cant give blood because i'm death-defyingly gay

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

viscous wolves posted:

That was only after I started hanging out with the "cool" kids. Before I was always kinda chubby and ate mostly frozen chimichangas and Cranapple but I wanted to be cool sooooooo badly. I lost 30 pounds the summer before 11th grade and I was so happy :rolleyes:.

It's scary how much time I spent obsessing about diet and I don't think I was that different from a lot of women. I think many American women have such a messed up relationship with food. (tho' to be honest, I think it was harder in the 80s and 90s 'cause we were told not to eat fat and to load up on carbs so of course we were hungry all the time)

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

AriadneThread posted:

I'm not sure what tough stick means in this context, but i'm pretty much a pile of skin and bones. Also, I've had trouble with work a couple of times 'forgetting' to let me take my meal and then I start getting dizzy and/or loopy.
It's actually been years since I've been to the doctor, I keep meaning to make an appointment but it always seems like more important stuff comes up first

I'll keep that in mind though, you're right. It's certainly a lot more positive a cause

Tough stick just as in it's hard to get a needle in. I have tiny little veins that they just can't get into because they jump around, so when I've had blood tests done it's always drawn from my hand. :sigh:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
homophobic hemophobia

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Dexters Secret posted:

i cant give blood because i'm death-defyingly gay

gay evel knievel

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

detectivemonkey posted:

I am glad you have combatted those feelings through cat ownership and construction projects <3

Also glad to know that one can survive on Lucky Charms alone. You should tell parenting thread, I'm sure that will allay many of their fears.

:)

Yeah, if nothing else, like I mentioned, that's the only time I've ever been able to give blood so I guess the iron fortification works. I've never been able to donate since, even when I'm on supplements.

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

Avshalom posted:

If you're trying to be kind I doubt it's emotional terrorism. :colbert:

detectivemonkey posted:

One year in high school I tried to give up Slurpees and those 7-11 pizza roll sticks. I lasted 24 hours, max.

I don't know what pizza roll sticks you are referring to but that sounds awful.

I ate a frightening quantity of Easter chocolate last week but it was a nice reminder that I usually eat a lot healthier. I hope it's not possible to give yourself diabetes in like three days though because I ate a lot of mini milky way midnight bars. :(

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

I think Ozma just means sometimes people's veins aren't on display like a peacock looking for love and have to be jabbed at aimlessly for a while. Blood donation is not fun for them.

I can think of zero things more important that you getting to a doctor annually-ish. Do it for ladythread.

E: Ya, what Ozma clarified as I was typing. That.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

That was only after I started hanging out with the "cool" kids. Before I was always kinda chubby and ate mostly frozen chimichangas and Cranapple but I wanted to be cool sooooooo badly. I lost 30 pounds the summer before 11th grade and I was so happy :rolleyes:.

It's scary how much time I spent obsessing about diet and I don't think I was that different from a lot of women. I think many American women have such a messed up relationship with food. (tho' to be honest, I think it was harder in the 80s and 90s 'cause we were told not to eat fat and to load up on carbs so of course we were hungry all the time)

I didn't want to hang out with "cool" kids and thus had no reason to acknowledge that I was a fat smelly nerd because everyone else was a fat smelly nerd in the circles I hung out with

I'm sorry that you had that going on but I hope things are better now

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Avshalom posted:

you are just like half the people i know

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

detectivemonkey posted:

I think Ozma just means sometimes people's veins aren't on display like a peacock looking for love and have to be jabbed at aimlessly for a while. Blood donation is not fun for them.
i fan my veins out behind my back to attract the male of the species

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013

amarantinesky posted:

I imagine having a full stomach and iron-rich food could help with donation even if it's just psychological. It's kind of cool that you get gift certificates though, even though I think that you aren't allowed to be paid for donations and that's kind of repaying you.

Ugh still feel terrible.

been feeling poo poo most of this last week and especially today

just went for a walk out of the blue at like 4am. feeling pretty good atm

:dong:

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Avshalom posted:

i fan my veins out behind my back to attract the male of the species

Make sure you drink a lot of water first so they're nice and big!

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Titty Warlord posted:

if I tried that I would probably get murdered

glad you're feeling better though

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013
walked by my old primary school and it's completely gone and only lots of grass remains

The entrance was all boarded up too

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Titty Warlord posted:

walked by my old primary school and it's completely gone and only lots of grass remains

The entrance was all boarded up too
after you graduated, they had nothing left

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

detectivemonkey posted:

I can think of zero things more important that you getting to a doctor annually-ish. Do it for ladythread.

E: Ya, what Ozma clarified as I was typing. That.

Idk I can think of things more important than going to the doctor but if you can afford it, you should probably go. Skipping a few years in your early 20s is typically fine but you could always have something go wrong so you shouldn't take that chance.

Of course I say this as someone who is reluctant to go but I'm basically a ball of anxiety atm so uhh do as I say, not as I do.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the most important thing is like getting stuff like blood tests done which is prohibitively expensive if you dont have insurance.

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013

Avshalom posted:

after you graduated, they had nothing left

och yer a haggis

it's a school for grass now

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

Titty Warlord posted:

I'm glad you've been feeling a bit better after your walk. :) But you should sleep at some point!

It's raining here plus I live in the loving ugliest area I've ever lived in so a walk isn't very appealing. Also the thought of moving makes me want to vomit. :(

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Titty Warlord posted:

och yer a haggis
my school had haggis-addressing ceremonies and they're still open, yours didn't and is now a patch of grass, the implications are clear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

the most important thing is like getting stuff like blood tests done which is prohibitively expensive if you dont have insurance.

That's true I should check my health insurance privilege but if you have it there is no reason not to go.

• Locked thread