Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Fintilgin posted:

Sorry dude, any game that releases with a map that looks like that is permanently inducted in the Hall of Fame for mocking, later fixes not withstanding.

Pretty sure making fun of that doesn't make you a map-sperg. It makes you not blind.

I mean, look at that loving Alaska. It's literally like a blindfolded scrawl of what it's supposed to look like.

Alaska is over twice the size of France.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
I want to see Paradox gin up a globular map-mode just to see how playable it would be. At a sufficient zoom level, the curvature wouldn't be inconvenient, especially if you pinned the north-south axis so that you could only spin the globe along one axis.

Of course, doing maps for the globe would be harder - you couldn't cleanly map a rectangular bitmap to the globe. But if you defined triangular dead zones in your bitmap you could still do it - you'd have to trial-and-error a little bit to make sure that provinces lined up if they spanned dead zones, though.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

They hosed up Alaska in pretty much every game 'till recently (vic2 I think), it was like that in the original EU's and HOIs. The HoI3 map was really loving terrible on release though, how can you gently caress up the placement of stalingrad so badly in a WW2 game?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

DStecks posted:

So go play a hex-based game then? :shrug:

I made a lot of stupid statements earlier in the thread regarding granularity of provinces and how it could be "fixed", but then I actually loving played Darkest Hour. And honestly I really just like the traditional Paradox province system for a game like this. HOI isn't WitE, and it shouldn't try to be by making the map a collection of drunken hexes pretending to be provinces. The level of abstraction that HOI works on is just fine, there's nothing wrong with a broad-strokes wargame. If you want to play a game with true maneuver warfare, there are games for that.

This is my opinion as well. I'm quite happy sending a tank army into a province and hearing that my general managed to encircle ten divisions there, rather than micromanaging that encirclement personally by setting fifteen waypoints.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Megadyptes posted:

They hosed up Alaska in pretty much every game 'till recently (vic2 I think), it was like that in the original EU's and HOIs. The HoI3 map was really loving terrible on release though, how can you gently caress up the placement of stalingrad so badly in a WW2 game?

Only map-spergs know where Stalingrad was. Apparently.

Darkrenown posted:

We had the map-sperg mod team re-do the HoI3 map in FTM or TFH. Apparently that's still not good enough for true map-spergs though? :confused:

That's good to know.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

I can't believe I'm about to complain about this, but Allentown is nowhere near where the updated HOI3 map has it. It's basically in-between Philadelphia and Scranton, while the current map has it south of Philly in Delaware. The Wilkes-Barre or Carbondale provinces are probably what would more accurately be called Allentown, not the current province.

Harrisburg is also north of Gettysburg, where the current province of Huntingdon is, not right next to Reading. Additionally, Carlisle is north-west of Gettysburg.

I know way too much about PA's geography. I suppose it is I who is the true map-sperg :negative:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Fintilgin posted:

Sorry dude, any game that releases with a map that looks like that is permanently inducted in the Hall of Fame for mocking, later fixes not withstanding.

Pretty sure making fun of that doesn't make you a map-sperg. It makes you not blind.

I mean, look at that loving Alaska. It's literally like a blindfolded scrawl of what it's supposed to look like.

Sure, I guess? I'm just saying that's not in the current version since there seemed to be confusion on the subject and "Haha, this is what HoI3 looked like 5 years ago before they changed it" didn't seem too topical.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

uPen posted:

Alaska is over twice the size of France.

This is a dark path you travel down, uPen!

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Darkrenown posted:

Sure, I guess? I'm just saying that's not in the current version since there seemed to be confusion on the subject and "Haha, this is what HoI3 looked like 5 years ago before they changed it" didn't seem too topical.

My screenshots were from For the Motherland

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Farecoal posted:

My screenshots were from For the Motherland

There's your problem, should've been playing For the Mothland.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Darkrenown posted:

yah but mocking devs for letting this happen in a released game is still amusing. also the changes require you to pay for some expansions. glad you guys sorted that out with CK2 and its dlcs, even if EU4 went a bit overboard with dumb poo poo on release.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

I've seen that screencap so many times, but only after experience with DH do I realize that literally every coastal province on that map has landing beaches, which totally defeats the purpose of having a landing beach mechanic in the first place.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

Finally, every Canadian's dream of nuking Oshawa can be fulfilled.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

DStecks posted:

I've seen that screencap so many times, but only after experience with DH do I realize that literally every coastal province on that map has landing beaches, which totally defeats the purpose of having a landing beach mechanic in the first place.

IIRC, that was just for testing/debugging purposes. Not quite as bad as it looks.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I do appreciate what is probably one of the only representations of Worcester, Massachusetts in a video game.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Finally, every Canadian's dream of nuking Oshawa can be fulfilled.

What I love is that the largely-uninhabited Labrador needs 7 provinces, AKA 1 province for every ~4500 residents.

And even accepting that the province division are for combat purposes, not demographic ones, they also added like a thousand provinces to Sub-Saharan Africa; which, considering that Africa in HOI is divided up amongst Allied and Neutral countries, will never see combat unless some impossibly ahistorical poo poo goes down.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why do all these devs keep adding more provinces? Who wants them? Most people here seem to complain about too many useless provinces. Hell I found HOI2 had too many provinces in some areas, but was mostly just-right. I guess it allows for fancier maneuvers? Is that it? I've never really played these games for "the micro" but when it's there I feel obliged to dig in because it feels like you have to to get ahead.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

DStecks posted:

That's not Darkest Hour's map, though, that's Hearts of Iron 2's.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

You couldn't pick more ugly as poo poo colours for Canada there.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Gort posted:

That's not Darkest Hour's map, though, that's Hearts of Iron 2's.

No its Iron Cross, a lovely mod/game based on Hearts of Iron 2 :pseudo:

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

axeil posted:

I know way too much about PA's geography. I suppose it is I who is the true map-sperg :negative:

Norristown being to the west of Philadelphia is amusing, I agree with wiping Delaware County off the face of the earth. We're the loving worst place in the entire state. Though I must admit the WWII period is probably the high point of the area, going through Chester and Marcus Hook is an easy way to see what 1940s factories looked like. They're all there rotting away with the windows bricked up.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey it's okay if Alaska is kinda hosed up, it's not like is has to be well-represented in a WWII game, right?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah I mean its not like there was an invasion there or anything.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

StashAugustine posted:

Hey it's okay if Alaska is kinda hosed up, it's not like is has to be well-represented in a WWII game, right?

It doesn't really matter in the big picture but my major problem with the HoI3 map is it's just plain ugly. This might just be me and my preferences but I don't enjoy looking at that map.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

uPen posted:

It doesn't really matter in the big picture but my major problem with the HoI3 map is it's just plain ugly. This might just be me and my preferences but I don't enjoy looking at that map.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleutian_Islands_Campaign

(:thejoke:)

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I'm aware, but not properly modeling the North Pacific theater is hardly HoI3's greatest offense.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

uPen posted:

I'm aware, but not properly modeling the North Pacific theater is hardly HoI3's greatest offense.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

That's the E3 map actually, a project for Darkest Hour which several modders have decided to use. Apparently a lot of the forums think it's actually going to be implemented in some official capacity.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

My first thought when I saw that New England/Canada map was "that makes perfect sense, you need those provinces for the USA etc. to fight Canada."

But then I remembered that Darkest Hour != Kaiserreich and suddenly those provinces are less justifiable. :negative:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

VostokProgram posted:

But then I remembered that Darkest Hour != Kaiserreich and suddenly those provinces are less justifiable. :negative:
To be fair, last I knew the KR team was already working on making a version of the mod with that map. The mapmaker meant for it to be open for anyone to use.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

To be fair, last I knew the KR team was already working on making a version of the mod with that map. The mapmaker meant for it to be open for anyone to use.

Last I checked we're not. I don't even want to think about balancing the AI and unit numbers for a map like that.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Ofaloaf posted:

I think that's the real key in making a good map. It's way more justified to flesh out Eastern Europe, North Africa, etc. in a WW2 game than adding 5,000 provinces to Central Asia in case the Sino-Soviet split happens 20 years early and turns into a hot war.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I'm playing Hearts of Iron 3 as Turkey, and for the first time I think I know what I'm doing in a Hearts of Iron game, but I have a bit of a problem. My plan was the join the Comintern, and I made some good progress, but now Japan is influencing me to the Axis more than I am influenced to the Comintern. Is there any way I can get them to stop or boost my Comintern drift, or will I just have to accept my fate as an Axis member?

E: They just stopped on their own (or as a delayed reaction to my embargo) but for future reference it would be nice if I had any idea how to get them to stop.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 29, 2014

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

DrProsek posted:

I'm playing Hearts of Iron 3 as Turkey, and for the first time I think I know what I'm doing in a Hearts of Iron game, but I have a bit of a problem. My plan was the join the Comintern, and I made some good progress, but now Japan is influencing me to the Axis more than I am influenced to the Comintern. Is there any way I can get them to stop or boost my Comintern drift, or will I just have to accept my fate as an Axis member?

E: They just stopped on their own (or as a delayed reaction to my embargo) but for future reference it would be nice if I had any idea how to get them to stop.

Play a different game? You have less influence on your own government than every other country on the planet. I know it's not really helpful advice but it is just one of many reasons HoI3 is so frustrating. For real advice just edit the save file. It's what I inevitably do whenever I get fed up with one system or another of HoI3's.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

VostokProgram posted:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Again, it's not Iron Cross, it's this thing.

EDIT: And in case anyone asks, it doesn't have anything to do with Iron Cross, despite the similarities. I asked as much.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

DrProsek posted:

Japan doesn't actually want you in the Axis, which is why they stopped, but they don't want you joining an opposing faction either. You've just been Comiblocked. There's not much you can do, if SOV were interested they could influence you in, or if the Axis actually attack you you should join the opposing faction you're closest to.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

DrProsek posted:

Did you align towards Comintern? I always thought that makes you align faster than any influence. Also, try to get communists into power I guess.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Rincewind posted:

I do appreciate what is probably one of the only representations of Worcester, Massachusetts in a video game.

It's the second largest city in New England! :negative:

I do enjoy trying to figure out how on earth Japan would manage to influence the politics or foreign policy of Turkey in the slightest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Rogue0071 posted:

I do enjoy trying to figure out how on earth Japan would manage to influence the politics or foreign policy of Turkey in the slightest.

Turkey, and particularly Istanbul was THE place to be in WW2 if you were a spy.

As for the practicalities I would imagine a combination of threats (remember they are speaking for all of axis), bribes and sleeping with the right people

• Locked thread