Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Superpower 2 is really bad. It's basically the CIA world factbook with the stats randomly changing.

I hope the money bugs still exist that allow you to conquer the world as Andorra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Pakled posted:

Pfft, how crazy would someone have to be to play a World War II military simulation in real time, am I right?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3238049

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

:thejoke:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Every modern world simulation game is a total mess. I've been watching LPs for "Masters of the World: Geopolitical Simulator 3":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtbNJBpXFMo

Democracy 3 looks actually playable (if dull), but it's not a mapgame :(

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kilonum posted:

On an unrelated topic, SuperPower 2 feels like a dumbed-down, modern-day Paradox game.

Though the AI tends to make some truly baffling decisions:

This is literally an Onion article, SuperPower 2 owns.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Which is also ironic because the single most important thing holding the wargame niche back from being mainstream is a refusal to acknowledge that the User Interface is important and needs to be thought about.

To do that on the kind of budget most hex based games have you need to cut down on complex features a lot which is likely to alienate existing customers in the hope of gaining new ones, so its risky. There are wargames that pull it off well though. Unity of Command is pretty cool and easy to get into for example.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

You guys need to step up your game if you want to make outrageous suggestions, someone over on the HoI4 forum has already expressed the hope that we'll track the caliber of ammunition used in all guns and have units using mixed loadouts, either from captured equipment or poor planning, suffer supply penalties.

Countries in which cars drive on the right that have units in countries where cars drive on the left (i.e. US in UK) should suffer additional attrition in trucks. You are tracking trucks used in supply, right?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
What have I done?:qq:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Don't forget the additional supply throughput needed by Italian units to carry the extra water for their pasta

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

podcat posted:

To do that on the kind of budget most hex based games have you need to cut down on complex features a lot which is likely to alienate existing customers in the hope of gaining new ones, so its risky. There are wargames that pull it off well though. Unity of Command is pretty cool and easy to get into for example.

It's not even that though, it's basic stuff like not having movable windows or standardized 'left click to select, right click for action' or tooltips.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

I had the first Superpower as a kid. I could never figure out how to play it so I made my own fun by choosing a nation like New Zealand and throwing every last resource I had into building nuclear weapons. My faint memory is that you could only get off one or two before someone would invade you.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Gimmick Account posted:

I'm curious, since the 'newly' released Steam version seems to include at least SOME changes from the previous, 10+ year old build: Did they ever fix that drat autarky bug that would eventually render every game unplayable because all economies worldwide collapsed?

I really wanted to like SuperPower 2, there's just nothing like it on the market. Not even by Paradox. :(

I don't believe so, as its just a symptom of making countries "better" - ie: resource balance, which generally happens sooner or later.

Theres a fun tactic involving taking something like India and making it consumption central, essentially breeding like crazy and importing everything and making money off other sources. I've seen people doing it and it effectively negates the bug by ensuring theres at least one massive net importer. I've not been able to do it myself without causing an economic collapse game over though :p.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Democracy 3 looks actually playable (if dull), but it's not a mapgame :(

It's also way more of a puzzle game and not a simulation, unfortunately :(

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 26, 2014

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Darkrenown posted:

What have I done?:qq:

Clearly not enough, I can't seem to find the dev diary where you explain the latrine break mechanics. Just imagine the tension: 13:00, April 24th, 1942. German soldiers have broken through in Stalingrad, and are marching in a united offensive on Moscow. The German player is committed to using the inertia to quickly capture the Soviet capital as well. At first it seems to be going poorly, as the soldiers from Stalingrad managed to rejoin friendly forces already in Moscow and provided vital reinforcements to the Soviet defenders. However, the German player, thinking back to history class where he learned about the real world defeat of the Nazi empire, devised a plan to restrict soldiers bathroom breaks to only half of what they were before. It does put the German player at risk, with some soldiers getting up to 80% full bladders, but it pays off! Now that German soldiers take fewer pee breaks, they can spend more time on the front lines, overwhelming the Soviet soldiers as they go pee!

:colbert: why do you hate intellectually stimulating tactical gameplay?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

What's best is Gary Grigsby's War in the East, which models every gun and vehicle model and the relative amounts of 'supply' they need but then goes and assumes that a railhead has infinite carry capacity.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
It's a shame too, the game would be much better with more supply issues. There's effectively no difference between railing supplies to Astrakhan or Warsaw as long as you have a continuous rail line to both.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Don't forget the additional supply throughput needed by Italian units to carry the extra water for their pasta

drat, that is an obscure reference. :golfclap:

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

ChaosSamusX posted:

drat, that is an obscure reference. :golfclap:

If you got that reference, come to the board wargaming thread, where the real grognards hang out.

(Ironically, apart from CfNA board wargaming forces designers to pay a lot more attention to proper abstraction, since you can't just have the computer simulate every mortar tube on the Eastern Front.)

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

blackmongoose posted:

If you got that reference, come to the board wargaming thread, where the real grognards hang out.

(Ironically, apart from CfNA board wargaming forces designers to pay a lot more attention to proper abstraction, since you can't just have the computer simulate every mortar tube on the Eastern Front.)

That's the thing. I read through all of Gray Hunter's WitP LP and the stuff that game had him do was absurd. Managing ammo/fuel levels for individual ships with no warnings when a ship was low on either or personally managing every pilot's training, that's what PACCOM was being asked to do when 1) high command certainly wasn't micromanaging that poo poo in real life and 2) wouldn't have had that much detailed information on hand even if they wanted to. If you want to be really realistic, then let's simulate a bunker with you shuffling possibly inaccurate reports around on your desk.

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

Cantorsdust posted:

That's the thing. I read through all of Gray Hunter's WitP LP and the stuff that game had him do was absurd. Managing ammo/fuel levels for individual ships with no warnings when a ship was low on either or personally managing every pilot's training, that's what PACCOM was being asked to do when 1) high command certainly wasn't micromanaging that poo poo in real life and 2) wouldn't have had that much detailed information on hand even if they wanted to. If you want to be really realistic, then let's simulate a bunker with you shuffling possibly inaccurate reports around on your desk.

Speaking of that, maybe I'm just insane but that's a game I wanted when I first heard about the Oculus Rift. It'd probably not be fun at all though.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

lullelulle posted:

Speaking of that, maybe I'm just insane but that's a game I wanted when I first heard about the Oculus Rift. It'd probably not be fun at all though.

Who wants to have fun in a videogame? What are you, a casual?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

How. How can you make a map with a million provinces that looks so horrendous

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

This Alaska is the best, it should be like this on every map.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

I've never seen Florida look so much like a chode.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Newark and NYC have morphed together into a Manhattanless metropolis. What the gently caress is this from?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Newark and NYC have morphed together into a Manhattanless metropolis. What the gently caress is this from?

Hearts of Iron 3.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

uPen posted:

Hearts of Iron 3.

...wait that's the default map? Were the devs at Paradox tripping balls the whole time or something?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

...wait that's the default map? Were the devs at Paradox tripping balls the whole time or something?

Yes.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

The Eastern Front

:ussr:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

uPen posted:

Hearts of Iron 3.

...Oh wow. I just realized that even though I've bought all the expansions, I've never actually played HOI3.

sureaboutthatthing
Oct 15, 2013
The map has been fixed since though. It is still funny how they managed to make the map look so bad at release.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

sureaboutthatthing posted:

The map has been fixed since though. It is still funny how they managed to make the map look so bad at release.

Fixed when? My picture of the fishscale Soviet Union with hosed-up, innacurate rivers is from the latest version with all expansions. All the pictures of the USA are also still accurate, what did they fix?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

uPen posted:

Fixed when? My picture of the fishscale Soviet Union with hosed-up, innacurate rivers is from the latest version with all expansions. All the pictures of the USA are also still accurate, what did they fix?

Well, they at least moved Stalingrad 200 miles to its actual position.
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?416221-Stalingrad-s-position-Map..

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Enjoy posted:

Well, they at least moved Stalingrad 200 miles to its actual position.
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?416221-Stalingrad-s-position-Map..

Only because of how hilariously egregious it was. :v:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
We had the map-sperg mod team re-do the HoI3 map in FTM or TFH. Apparently that's still not good enough for true map-spergs though? :confused:

I'm not sure what the problem with the Eastern front is meant to be, but those earlier pics are not current.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I am curious about what projection the HOI3 map was based off, though. Alaska looks small and oddly far from the Russian far east, even on the corrected map, and that bothers me in a way I cannot fully verbalize.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ofaloaf posted:

I am curious about what projection the HOI3 map was based off, though. Alaska looks small and oddly far from the Russian far east, even on the corrected map, and that bothers me in a way I cannot fully verbalize.

Either way the oddest thing for me is a wargame that bases movement on political map lines rather than... well, terrain.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Alchenar posted:

Either way the oddest thing for me is a wargame that bases movement on political map lines rather than... well, terrain.

That's a big reason for the huge number of provinces besides maneuver warfare: the smaller the provinces, the less surface area you have to smoosh together into a single terrain type to the detriment of one or the other.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Darkrenown posted:

We had the map-sperg mod team re-do the HoI3 map in FTM or TFH. Apparently that's still not good enough for true map-spergs though? :confused:

I'm not sure what the problem with the Eastern front is meant to be, but those earlier pics are not current.

Sorry dude, any game that releases with a map that looks like that is permanently inducted in the Hall of Fame for mocking, later fixes not withstanding.

Pretty sure making fun of that doesn't make you a map-sperg. It makes you not blind.

I mean, look at that loving Alaska. It's literally like a blindfolded scrawl of what it's supposed to look like.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Alchenar posted:

So go play a hex-based game then? :shrug:

I made a lot of stupid statements earlier in the thread regarding granularity of provinces and how it could be "fixed", but then I actually loving played Darkest Hour. And honestly I really just like the traditional Paradox province system for a game like this. HOI isn't WitE, and it shouldn't try to be by making the map a collection of drunken hexes pretending to be provinces. The level of abstraction that HOI works on is just fine, there's nothing wrong with a broad-strokes wargame. If you want to play a game with true maneuver warfare, there are games for that.

• Locked thread