Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Cowcaster posted:

Is there a reason for the raw upgrade path existing in this game as compared to Dark Souls 1? Seems like any elemental infusion would be a better choice 98% of the time.

Good for Crossbows like the Avelyn and if you want to wield a weapon with no scaling like the Bluemoon Sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
I'd heard that fighter characters, while good early on, become kind of weak later on in the game, and that magic characters are the way to go. Is there any merit to this? I'm having a lot more fun with my Knight then I am with my Sorcerer, but I don't want to screw myself over later on.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
The pucker factor for the jumps in the iron keep is insane :stonk:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Pengu! posted:

I'd heard that fighter characters, while good early on, become kind of weak later on in the game, and that magic characters are the way to go. Is there any merit to this? I'm having a lot more fun with my Knight then I am with my Sorcerer, but I don't want to screw myself over later on.

Magic has more utility as a whole but you can definitely beat the game with a melee focus. You will have trouble with some areas if you don't have some sort of ranged utility though, and magic is good for that. That said I've beaten every boss so for almost entirely through melee so don't worry, you'll be fine. I find melee characters to be way more fun than ones that focus purely on sorcery in these games.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Pengu! posted:

I'd say it's moreso that with melee you have this nice, linear, gradual increase in power as the game goes on.

With casters you start getting tools that vastly outclass previous ones casting spells that are absurdly powerful. The moment you get even one instance of Soul Geyser your boss killing power jumps up to a point where nearly every boss is trivial. On top of that, it's really easy to farm multiple instances of Soul Geyser.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Umberger posted:

I'd say it's moreso that with melee you have this nice, linear, gradual increase in power as the game goes on.

With casters you start getting tools that vastly outclass previous ones casting spells that are absurdly powerful. The moment you get even one instance of Soul Geyser your boss killing power jumps up to a point where nearly every boss is trivial. On top of that, it's really easy to farm multiple instances of Soul Geyser.

Okay, then I think I'll have my Knight be my main and play my Sorcerer when I'm stuck or frustrated.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
So today I finished up my "no resting at bonfires" run. The invisible weapon ring you get as a reward for doing that is really cool. People dodge my Demon's Great Hammer way less and they get flattened for half their HP from something they can't even see, it's amazing.

Also I got the Dark Soul achievement.

Cowcaster posted:

Is there a reason for the raw upgrade path existing in this game as compared to Dark Souls 1? Seems like any elemental infusion would be a better choice 98% of the time.

Good for weapons with little or no scaling to begin with.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Umberger posted:

Kind of hard to believe that soul geyser actually dealt almost twice the damage before the Nerf.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Wouldn't an elemental damage infusion still be better for weapons that have next to no or no scaling though?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

If we end up not being able to use GeDoSaTo any more I hope they let us crank up the SSAO and poo poo in a patch because it looks so good with it. And I would miss my PS3 button prompts.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Cowcaster posted:

Wouldn't an elemental damage infusion still be better for weapons that have next to no or no scaling though?

Not necessarily. Split damage means that you're working against two different defense modifiers instead of just the one for physical damage, so for a lot of enemies you're going to be doing more damage with Raw on an unscaled weapon than with elemental infusion.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Oh man it's going to be a bit before I can infuse my Bastard Sword. Oh well. I'll keep going down the Quality Build line for now.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of weapon upgrades, where do I go for titanite after buying out the smith and his daughter?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Do you deal less damage with an attack if that attack depletes your stamina? I've been noticing some discrepant results with arrow damage, and I think that may be it. Can anyone confirm?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Jay Rust posted:

Do you deal less damage with an attack if that attack depletes your stamina? I've been noticing some discrepant results with arrow damage, and I think that may be it. Can anyone confirm?

Yeah, this is definitely true.

While we're on the subject of scaling, what do fire/dark scaling bonuses on a weapon come from? I know lightning scaling derives from faith and magic scaling derives from int.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Roman posted:

If we end up not being able to use GeDoSaTo any more I hope they let us crank up the SSAO and poo poo in a patch because it looks so good with it. And I would miss my PS3 button prompts.

I've been playing all day with GeDoSaTo and am still online just fine so I wouldn't worry about it

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
You might be hitting things in the head/not head.

The game has positional damage, and now also damage "zones" on weapons, so smashing someone with the haft of a poleaxe will do less damage than hitting them with the head.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

notZaar posted:

Speaking of weapon upgrades, where do I go for titanite after buying out the smith and his daughter?

You kill Old Iron King. Beat the game for unlimited Chunks, and McDuff has unlimited Large Shards.

Derkinstacker
Dec 30, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

While we're on the subject of scaling, what do fire/dark scaling bonuses on a weapon come from? I know lightning scaling derives from faith and magic scaling derives from int.

They scale from both. I believe it scales on which is the lowest of the 2 stats, so you'll get more if you raise them equally.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

If you're going mostly strength with some dex, is there a point to infusing my weapon with anything? I've heard it reduces the scaling on the weapon plus you can't upgrade it as much. I'm using a bastard sword for the record with C scaling in dex and strength.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Jay Rust posted:

This is a thing that happens.

Cowcaster posted:

Fire takes the average of your Int/Fth. Dark takes the lower of the two and scales with that. Both have a softcap of 30. After that you get diminishing returns.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Derkinstacker posted:

They scale from both. I believe it scales on which is the lowest of the 2 stats, so you'll get more if you raise them equally.

Fire scales with the total of both (basically Int + Faith), meaning it doesn't matter which one you pick (or even if you go both). Dark scales with the lower of Int or Faith, so you have to increase both.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

jonjonaug posted:

So today I finished up my "no resting at bonfires" run. The invisible weapon ring you get as a reward for doing that is really cool. People dodge my Demon's Great Hammer way less and they get flattened for half their HP from something they can't even see, it's amazing.

Also I got the Dark Soul achievement.

Good for weapons with little or no scaling to begin with.

Oh my god I never knew this was a thing. Can you only do it on NG or can you get the rings on NG+?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Tagichatn posted:

If you're going mostly strength with some dex, is there a point to infusing my weapon with anything? I've heard it reduces the scaling on the weapon plus you can't upgrade it as much. I'm using a bastard sword for the record with C scaling in dex and strength.

I don't think infusions reduce how much you can upgrade something, everything just tops out at +10 if it's a regular weapon or +5 if it's a unique weapon.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Cardboard Box posted:

I've been playing all day with GeDoSaTo and am still online just fine so I wouldn't worry about it

VAC bans usually take a few days to come into effect. It would be pretty lovely if this causes some people to be banned.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Nuebot posted:

Oh my god I never knew this was a thing. Can you only do it on NG or can you get the rings on NG+?

You can do it on any playthrough. NG or NG+.

Try doing a no death run and a NO BONFIRE run.

:getin:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I didn't know I can use the red soapstone outside the BoB. That's pretty nice. Got some good pyromancies now too; Firestorm seems a bit iffy but Great Combustion and Fire Whip look pretty good.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Nuebot posted:

I did it on NG+2. You're allowed to LIGHT bonfires, just not rest at them. This requires you to be a bit clever about how you utilize your bonfire lighting.

The best part of the run was when I was moving back from killing the Dragonrider, got Lecia to move the contraption, and then I died on the way to Huntsmans Copse by walking off a ledge. Since I couldn't make it back to Lecia directly, I had to make my way through the Wharf and all the way back to the Lost Sinner's Primal Bonfire so I could make it back to Majula.

The run backward from the end of the Undead Crypt all the way over to Aldia Keep sure was a thing too. I had to be careful not to light a couple of the bonfires in the Shrine of Amara so that in case I died I would be set back less.

Keep in mind that the ring you get from this makes the weapon in your right hand invisible. There's another ring you get for a "no deaths" run that makes the weapon in your left hand invisible.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 29, 2014

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Shindragon posted:

You can do it on any playthrough. NG or NG+.

Try doing a no death run and a NO BONFIRE run.

:getin:

I totally am! I am, however, going to scrub it up and be in offline mode because the last thing I want is to be in NG+ and have someone invade me and ram a sword up my butthole three inches from the last fog gate or something.

Important qustion about all that though: saving and quitting doesn't count as resting at a bonfire does it?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 15 minutes!
Question about ratbro PVP, are you able to invade ratbro territory with shade backup?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Nuebot posted:

I totally am! I am, however, going to scrub it up and be in offline mode because the last thing I want is to be in NG+ and have someone invade me and ram a sword up my butthole three inches from the last fog gate or something.

Important qustion about all that though: saving and quitting doesn't count as resting at a bonfire does it?

No, that's fine.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

jonjonaug posted:

So today I finished up my "no resting at bonfires" run. The invisible weapon ring you get as a reward for doing that is really cool.

This is it, this is going to be the reason I kill myself.

Fake edit: Oh god, there's a reward for not dying too.

:smithicide:

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

I don't think infusions reduce how much you can upgrade something, everything just tops out at +10 if it's a regular weapon or +5 if it's a unique weapon.

Oh ok, thanks.

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

Question about ratbro PVP, are you able to invade ratbro territory with shade backup?

No, you're blocked from putting down summon signs in those areas.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Hommando posted:

This is it, this is going to be the reason I kill myself.

Fake edit: Oh god, there's a reward for not dying too.

:smithicide:

Honestly the hardest part of a "no resting at bonfires" run is not resting at any bonfires. By which I mean I've played through Dark Souls 1 dozens of times (at least 30 times, probably closer to 40-50) and I've already cleared Dark Souls 2 half a dozen times. So every time I light a bonfire I'm going to myself "OK now DO NOT rest at this bonfire. Don't do it. Don't press A. Take your thumb away from the controller" while being terrified that muscle memory will win out.

To be honest, it was pretty stressful.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Nuebot posted:

Nothing wrong with going offline. Being summoned and dying in someone else's world counts too. Rather be able to determine if you die or not then in the hands of a phantom and lag right? :v:

GODDAMN PEOPLE STOP USING THE BALLIST*dead*

Also for me, I did both so lighting any bonfire was bad. :v: Mostly because if I felt I can't progress far enough to be able to make it I homeward bone out of it.

It took some reroutes because of ONE certain stupid little thing in the game.
You can't light a torch without using a bonfire. I was basically like FUUUUUUUCK when I got to Earthen's Peak 2nd bonfire. Luckily I had one of those butterflies though.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 29, 2014

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

If only I could summon Titchy Gren to invade with me :smith:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Apparently there are people out there who have done a combined no-dying no-bonfire run. :psyduck:

Also my dark souls highlight of the evening was trying to figure out what ***emind was originally supposed to be. Good censor.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Control Volume posted:

Apparently there are people out there who have done a combined no-dying no-bonfire run. :psyduck:

Also my dark souls highlight of the evening was trying to figure out what ***emind was originally supposed to be. Good censor.

Yeah, there are people who did that.

*points to self* This guy. If you guys are curious, you get the ring after the credits roll. It's kinda fun to see how much this game really takes advantage when you can teleport to any bonfire. Not being able to? It feels like one long rear end walk. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Great Combustion does absurd amounts of damage holy poo poo. Fire Whip less so but it's enough to make a guy in extra-heavy armor stagger. Pyromancy gets pretty strong!