Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Great Rumbler posted:

Oh look, it's an anime-inspired visual novel game! On the surface, it doesn't look particular bad, it's got semi-decent art and the post-apocalyptic setting is at least an interesting wrinkle. But then you get to this:

Yep, that's the main character's sister.

So what you're saying is that it's a standard anime saying sim?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Not interested in any Fallout romance doujin games unless I can gently caress Tsar Bomba.

edit: the bomb, not any characters that might be named "tsar bomba" (i don't know fallout).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Great Rumbler posted:

Oh look, it's an anime-inspired visual novel game! On the surface, it doesn't look particular bad, it's got semi-decent art and the post-apocalyptic setting is at least an interesting wrinkle. But then you get to this:

Unfortunately, little sisters are the "in" thing with anime nowadays. With Japan's declining birth rates, a lot of people are only children, and sister is like a GIRL that lives in your HOUSE, so it's gotta be awesome, right?

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

Great Rumbler posted:

Anime don't understand how siblings work.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

MyDX sets off my bullshit meter pretty hard, even if it works it will probably require a fairly sizable sample and will destroy it since that's how legit laboratory testing on THC content does it.

Yeah they're full of poo poo. It might be able to tell you oregano from marijuana but past that good luck.

BabyChoom
Jan 7, 2014

by XyloJW

...of SCIENCE! posted:

MyDX sets off my bullshit meter pretty hard, even if it works it will probably require a fairly sizable sample and will destroy it since that's how legit laboratory testing on THC content does it.

Yeah I would figure you would have to combust it (destroy it) and do some mass spectrometry or something but like when you do that you can also inhale it after it's done. like 500 mg would be enough I would think?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xelkelvos posted:

Fwiw, Buckley's actually improved after significantly reducing his hug box interaction. One of his latest comics even passed a basic red line test!

Bullshit.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Pomp posted:

Bullshit.

Modern Ctrl-Alt-Del:

-actual backgrounds
-has a joke and a punchline
-is about videogames

Modern Penny-Arcade:

-too lazy for backgrounds
-lame dad humor
-barely about videogames

CAD is actually trying and improving while PA is just being lazy and making GBS threads out comics as quickly as possible so they can go back to running their little media empire

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

quote:

Modern Ctrl-Alt-Del:

-actual backgrounds
-has a joke and a punchline
-is about videogames

You mean like...the very newest P-A comic that was just posted earlier today?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Speaking of Penny Arcade, their writing style in their blog posts is ridiculous. OH JUST STARTING IN THE MIDDLE OF A THOUGHT PROCESS YOU WERE ON BOARD WITH ME RIGHT?! They have all the subtlety and forethought of a gak'd-out cokehead.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Xelkelvos posted:

Fwiw, Buckley's actually improved after significantly reducing his hug box interaction. One of his latest comics even passed a basic red line test!

What is a red line test? Google isn't turning anything up for that phrase.

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011
he's talking about whether or not the perspective is correct (if you draw lines from each wall they should converge to a vanishing point).

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Pomp posted:

Bullshit.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
It's so cool that any time a lovely webcomic is mentioned anywhere on this site half a dozen bland idiots spring up to give you their opinion on it.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

het posted:

It's so cool that any time a thing is mentioned anywhere on this site half a dozen bland idiots spring up to give you their opinion on it.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

het posted:

It's so cool that any time a lovely webcomic is mentioned anywhere on this site half a dozen bland idiots spring up to give you their opinion on it.

the webcomics thread moves at a hundred pages a day, it's a part time job for anyone keeping up with it

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

het posted:

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
gas the webcomic thread

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

pixelbaron posted:

gas the webcomic thread

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

pixelbaron posted:

gas the webcomic thread

but first explain the "thunt's dead" thing anyway more kickstarters:

Jesus <3's Bitcoin but apparently not enough to warrant funding. I hope whatever museum that clearly didn't actually post this doesn't mind their name forever being associated with bitcoin failure, but I repeat myself.

Phil Foglio has earned nearly two hundred thousand dollars despite believing that faces are made of silly putty.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

but first explain the "thunt's dead" thing anyway more kickstarters:

what part of Thunt is dead don't you understand, death is a pretty basic concept imho

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

How about some fuckin' Soylent? On it's own totally not Kickstarter page. Someone has to tell me this thing is a loving joke and that 2 million dollars worth of idiots didn't really spend money on a food called loving Soylent.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Baron Snow posted:

How about some fuckin' Soylent? On it's own totally not Kickstarter page. Someone has to tell me this thing is a loving joke and that 2 million dollars worth of idiots didn't really spend money on a food called loving Soylent.

If you watch the Vice story on it every girl says it tastes like jizz, so enjoy drinking cum for months.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Baron Snow posted:

Yes, yes they did. Rat-infested food powder assembled by idiots, which is more expensive than actual tasty food. GREAT LIFEHACK!

The Harry Harrison estate should sue their asses.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Baron Snow posted:

the guy who invented this has zero actual background in nutrition, medicine, or health. He's a software developer who was savvy enough to know how to market to the lifehack/transhumanism people who are always looking for a more complicated, expensive, and less-effective way of doing things because it's futuristic.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

titanium posted:

If you watch the Vice story on it every girl says it tastes like jizz, so enjoy drinking cum for months.

It's people! Soylent is potential people!

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011
I went to the page and went "I can't believe this idiot used Vice as a source" but then I saw that the Vice article he quoted was using his own blog as a source. Then I realized that was the only citation that wasn't a direct quote from the guy himself. Also every article he cites is making fun of him.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Forums Barber posted:

I went to the page and went "I can't believe this idiot used Vice as a source" but then I saw that the Vice article he quoted was using his own blog as a source. Then I realized that was the only citation that wasn't a direct quote from the guy himself. Also every article he cites is making fun of him.

Is this project run by Erispa? This sounds like some sorta cyborg fetish bullshit. Like someone watched Ghost in the Shell too many times.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Soylent posted:

Suppose we had a default meal that was the nutritional equivalent of water

At least they are not making false promises (excepted the cheap part).

It's not their fault if backers are too stupid to even read the description.

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011

Crain posted:

Is this project run by Erispa? This sounds like some sorta cyborg fetish bullshit. Like someone watched Ghost in the Shell too many times.

it can't be Eripsa, because when somebody posted "hey you need to put <X> in your cyberjizz or you'll eventually die", he actually added it instead of fuming that they didn't understand his genius. But it is pretty amazing that somebody basically invented "Ensure, but even grosser".

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I don't even want to think about what drinking that jizz does to your poopin'.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

BabyChoom posted:

Yeah I would figure you would have to combust it (destroy it) and do some mass spectrometry or something but like when you do that you can also inhale it after it's done. like 500 mg would be enough I would think?

As far as I can deduce from the article, the detector is looking for SPECIFIC molecules. This is a different kettle of fish than going in blind, for which you would probably need some heavy duty lab equipment. If instead you're looking for a yes/no to compounds x, y and z, then you just need x, y and z sensors, maybe biosensors which can be relatively inexpensive; think of the $10 pregnancy tests you can get at the chemists. There are various other technologies which can essentially "smell" specific molecules too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biosensor

Of course, having a sensor unit like this just tells you whether a very specific chemical is present, and *possibly* some indication of concentration, it can't tell you half as much as the marketing hype would have you believe. You won't be able to test for all contaminants or desirable components, just specific ones, and probably not very many of those at that price. This goes for pesticides and air pollutants as well as cannabis, you need a specially designed sensor for each specific chemical you're looking for, and to test a wide spectrum of chemicals you'd need a whole array of sensors.

Looking at the actual indygogo page, they seem to be testing for 6 cannabinoids and 3 potential contaminants, that's great but it's not gonna tell you if your weed has been cut with oregano, or is doused in pesticides or fungus. It's also really obviously designed for people who want to get baked, not medical users, since they are better served by doctors who know which strains have which effects, and growers who have testing done themselves by commercial laboratories.

I think what they're *suggesting* they can do is out there, but what they are actually promising when you get right down to it should be possible with current technology.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

I assume they add some sort of soluble fiber to it otherwise you're just going to have chronic diarrhea.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Those guys are buying ensure shakes for elderly people, made by some dork in his house. It is mind boggling.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Crain posted:

I assume they add some sort of soluble fiber to it otherwise you're just going to have chronic diarrhea.

You assume wrong. The Head Dork in Charge even blogged about how he'd entirely stopped pooping, and instead of recognizing that as an alarming health problem, he just bragged about transcending human frailty.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Baron Snow posted:

Sorry, but the video had a grandma stoking her cooking fire with a hand spun turbo compressor, which is the best thing I've ever seen in my life.

And who better to trust my nutritional needs too than electrical engineers.

Rudager has a new favorite as of 08:54 on Apr 30, 2014

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

You assume wrong. The Head Dork in Charge even blogged about how he'd entirely stopped pooping, and instead of recognizing that as an alarming health problem, he just bragged about transcending human frailty.

Well you're gonna be so jealous when he gets past breathing and you're left behind in your meat prison.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Morglon posted:

Well you're gonna be so jealous when he gets past breathing and you're left behind in your meat prison.

Too long I have suffered under the tyranny of pooping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Is it just me or is there something really...off about this kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lix3d/lix-the-smallest-3d-printing-pen-in-the-world

It's another 3d printing pen. And to their credit they have a development plan and put a lot of effort into the proposal and their website. But the video and the fact that everything about the donor tiers and rewards makes me think this isn't a funding project and more of an ad. Something just seems wrong here.