Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What's SCP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Leperflesh posted:

What's SCP?

A sort of communal fiction writing project presented as a wiki.

SCP stands for Secure, Contain, Protect. And it's basically like an X-Files/BPRD/Delta Green,etc. Organization that goes out and finds and captures weird reality breaking object, people, whatever and hides them away. Each entry is a new SCP, there are a lot of really great bits in there, shockingly so, but it's also filled with even more bullshit that is tedious to go through.

If you're interested the scp thread usually has a list of 'best ofs' in the op.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ohhhh, yeah OK I remember seeing that. It looked like a fun project that had gotten way, way out of hand with too many cooks in the kitchen.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Leperflesh posted:

Ohhhh, yeah OK I remember seeing that. It looked like a fun project that had gotten way, way out of hand with too many cooks in the kitchen.

This exactly, with a nice topping of weird cliquishness, and the awful things that things like this always attract on the internet.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
By "awful things" that includes stuff like an entry about a mysterious girl that needs to regularly be violently raped for the good of the world. Not all of the entries were stuff like that, but that sort of thing sticks out at you for some weird reason.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I believe even the author of that one has come to hate it and is working on some kind of edit.

edit: not that this development makes up for it being written in the first place

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
To bring it back around though, I have mined a lot of great game ideas out of the better entries.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

By "awful things" that includes stuff like an entry about a mysterious girl that needs to regularly be violently raped for the good of the world. Not all of the entries were stuff like that, but that sort of thing sticks out at you for some weird reason.

Hahaha I remember the talk page of that. :shepicide:

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
SCP is what happens when Project: Twilight tries to do Aegis Kai Doru's job. I'm definitely running a Hunter game that starts in the smouldering wreckage of a SCP site.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Kai Tave posted:

I honestly thought it was pretty rad when I found it a year or so ago, but then I found that entry. Never looked at it again.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I can never see the word memetic without wanting to seek out and strangle the nearest neckbeard in a fedora.

Send help.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Error 404 posted:

I can never see the word memetic without wanting to seek out and strangle the nearest neckbeard in a fedora.

Send help.

As someone who knows little to nothing about "memtics", why does it anger you so much?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Covok posted:

As someone who knows little to nothing about "memtics", why does it anger you so much?

Well first: It's being misused, memetic is supposed to mean something that mimics something else.

But for awhile, a few years back, dangerous viral memes were a popular thing. like every other new entry was memetic thought virus this, memetic that, all SCP agents who guard this memetic meme of memetic memeticness must be blind or deaf or left handed to avoid catching the bad thoughts.

I was using hyperbole, but it really was annoying and boring.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Error 404 posted:

Well first: It's being misused, memetic is supposed to mean something that mimics something else.

You're thinking of mimetic; they're different terms.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Memetics is the idea that ideas go through a sort of selection and evolution analogous to genes. A meme is a unit of cultural information, whether a joke, an idea, or a belief. The theory was popularized by Richard Dawkins. Ideas that can actually harm a person isn't entirely new, but it's still interesting enough you could make good stories from it. Monty Python's "The Funniest Joke in the World" can accurately be described as a harmful meme. Unfortunately, most people have trouble getting exactly what a meme is. They'll use it to refer to things like Lanford's "basilisks" and Stephenson's "snow crash," where it's not an idea, but a sensation that crashes the brain, or various kinds of mind control, telepathy, or other such fictions. Writers use the term "memetic" to refer to these because it's trendy and they figure it's vague enough that they don't need to actually know what they're writing about.

I actually wrote a memetic SCP, though of course how paranormal it is is left as an exercise for the reader.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Sefer posted:

You're thinking of mimetic; they're different terms.

Welp.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

You're still right about it being way over used in SCP.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Bucnasti posted:

You're still right about it being way over used in SCP.

Definitely, but I can admit when I'm otherwise totally wrong.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Oh, in somewhat thread-related news, both Victoria Lamb (creator of the female Arcadian rifle squad) and Julie Guthrie (sculptor mentioned about two pages back) were there. I mentioned the discussion we were having, and that folks thought it was pretty cool that they were sculpting females that were actually cool and dynamic rather than just being eye candy.

Guthrie related a story about how she was commissioned to do a slave scene for Ral Partha (involving female slaves and their master). She included a sexy male slave in the scene, and got tremendous kickback on it. She only got it through by promising to do some other stuff for them later on.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Stories like that are depressingly common in the video game world as well. Female artists, designers, etc. are in a sort of damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't situation where trying to go against the grain results in a dogpile, or you can keep your head down and stay quiet about things that range from "let's have a bunch of our toy soldiers striking tits-out poses" to outright sexual harassment.

I've lost track of the number of internet arguments over better representation in gaming that at some point turn to "well if women (or minorities or whatever) want better representation than the obvious answer is for them to just go ahead and better represent themselves!" except this sort of thing is exactly what happens every single time they try that. Remember that one Magic card from a few sets back, the sexy vampire dude in some sort of corset? Remember how many nerds pitched a fit because "ew, gay?"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

JackMann posted:

Oh, in somewhat thread-related news, both Victoria Lamb (creator of the female Arcadian rifle squad) and Julie Guthrie (sculptor mentioned about two pages back) were there. I mentioned the discussion we were having, and that folks thought it was pretty cool that they were sculpting females that were actually cool and dynamic rather than just being eye candy.

Guthrie related a story about how she was commissioned to do a slave scene for Ral Partha (involving female slaves and their master). She included a sexy male slave in the scene, and got tremendous kickback on it. She only got it through by promising to do some other stuff for them later on.

Haha holy poo poo, I actually have that set of figures, I'm pretty sure? Or I saw it in one of the Ral Partha catalogs - I spent a lot of time about a year ago laboriously identifying some very old minis I got from a friend, and that included locating PDFs of the 1977, 78, and 79 Ral Partha catalogs. Julie Guthrie is credited for some of the figures back then, and I've always wondered how she got started in the very earliest beginnings of D&D fantasy figures.

It's fantastic to know that she's responsible for the slave set having a male figure in it.

On checking my sources - it looks like I might be thinking of 01-154 "Amazon Slave Chariot", which is a chariot being drawn by two men in thongs. But I could swear I remember seeing a group of slaves that included a male slave, and a master. I'll have to look further. Those old figures are mostly packed away at the moment.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
She's really cool in person, too. One person was asking her on tips on sculpting flaming hair, showing the figure they ultimately wanted to give flaming hair to. Guthrie took a look at the figure, grabbed the green stuff, and asked if she minded if she demonstrated on the figure. After getting a yes, she said, "Are you sure it's ok? I don't want to ruin your figure." Julie Guthrie. Worried about ruining someone's miniature. See the figure and the story here.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Dunno where else to post this, but it looks like Deadlands is getting a TV show. Be funny if they hyped it up and then just showed Brisco County, Jr reruns.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Pope Guilty posted:

Be funny if they hyped it up and then just showed Brisco County, Jr reruns.

No, that would be fine.

I'm seriously stoked for this. Brisco was the last Weird Western on TV and goddamn if that isn't an awesome genre. I may actually get an Xbone if that's the only way to watch this. :clint:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Looks like it'll work with the 360 if you have one already. This is really awesome. Deadlands has an awesome setting, and it can make a great television show.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I'm sorry to say this, but it's likely to be poo poo.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

No way man it'll be just as good as the sword of truth series.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Fenarisk posted:

No way man it'll be just as good as the sword of truth series.

This doesn't refute ravenkult's statement.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:thejoke:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Nonsense, I'm sure it'll turn out as fine as Kindred: the Embraced.

Or Battletech: the Animated Series.

Or the Dungeons & Dragons TV... :(

Well, at least Doomtown is coming back.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Let's be fair, at least it probably won't be saddled with executive orders like "Let's have one character who always dissents from the group and have it never work out for him so kids can learn conformity"

It'll have all new ways to make mistakes!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I think it has the potential to be better than those, if only because we're not in the mid 90's anymore. The actual quality of adaptions of nerd poo poo is way higher than it was nearly two decades ago.

That doesn't mean it'll be good. Just probably better.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Mr. Maltose posted:

I think it has the potential to be better than those, if only because we're not in the mid 90's anymore. The actual quality of adaptions of nerd poo poo is way higher than it was nearly two decades ago.

That doesn't mean it'll be good. Just probably better.

On the other hand, I remember the Deadlands metaplot.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

unseenlibrarian posted:

Let's be fair, at least it probably won't be saddled with executive orders like "Let's have one character who always dissents from the group and have it never work out for him so kids can learn conformity"

Thanks for reminding me this was a thing :wtc:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Mors Rattus posted:

Maybe they're using the stuff from the new Doomtown and nothing else? A man can dream of a spooky scary wild west without loving Stone.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah, I've tried hard not to pluck at that low-hanging fruit. Hell, Doomtown had a far better metaplot, and that was a CCG. And that's without getting into the game's treatment of, uh, the South or Native Americans.

I actually really like the basic concept of Deadlands and would wish it the best, all things considered, but this going to be a very difficult thing to make into a episodic show. Granted, the resources and culture are much better for this sort of thing now than they once were, so it's not dooooomed, but there's a fair amount of risk here.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I am reminded again that I appreciate that Stone never showed up in Deadlands Noir except for one mention in a side scenario where he doesn't actually appear.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I actually really like the basic concept of Deadlands and would wish it the best, all things considered, but this going to be a very difficult thing to make into a episodic show. Granted, the resources and culture are much better for this sort of thing now than they once were, so it's not dooooomed, but there's a fair amount of risk here.

It would be far more interesting if they went small and ignored most of the metaplot (and that's when Deadlands is the most interesting anyway.) Don't make it into Wild Wild West, keep it rooted in a single place and focus on the characters and fights, like Deadwood with a little more action.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Pope Guilty posted:

Dunno where else to post this, but it looks like Deadlands is getting a TV show. Be funny if they hyped it up and then just showed Brisco County, Jr reruns.

Doesn't Microsoft own Crimson Skies, actually? I know they put out the Crimson Skies video games. Maybe they should do that, shouldn't be any harder than doing CGI for magic cowboys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

What was bad about Deadlands depiction of Native Americans? This is coming from someone with only minimal exposure to Deadlands asking an honest question, not someone denying that it happened.

• Locked thread