Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Attestant posted:

Also it's worth noting that parries and backstabs have always have been pretty Dex/Str neutral. For every high critical damage dagger there is a big rear end hammer that criticals for just as much due to high base damage. And weapon speed has never mattered with either.

DaS2 dex weapons being a bit iffy has nothing to do with nerfed parries or backstabs.

If anything they made critical damage way stronger

infuse a dagger with mundane and you're gonna see some serious poo poo

Jack Trades posted:

You could parry anything in DS1. You couldn't riposte or backstab a whole bunch of things but you could parry any attack of any enemy with exception of grabs since DS1 had a partial parry mechanic.
DS2 doesn't.

Calling Partial-Parries Parries is a little disingenuous considering you still take damage; they're really only useful against greatbow push-back.

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Jack Trades posted:

You could parry anything in DS1. You couldn't riposte or backstab a whole bunch of things but you could parry any attack of any enemy with exception of grabs since DS1 had a partial parry mechanic.
DS2 doesn't.

Also I'm pretty sure that more than half of all enemies in any DS1 area were either riposte-able or backstab-able, if I'm not mistaken. It didn't have a whole area filled exclusively with un-riposte-able and un-backstab-able enemies.

I literally can't imagine justifying partial parrying as a way to defend against every enemy in the game as a viable way to play because it's explicitly worse at defending yourself than just blocking. That, while bizarrely skilled, is playing the game in a strange challenge build.

And no, you're mistaken. Almost all the late game areas (Darkwraiths in New Londo and Crystal Undead aside) have pretty much no enemies that you can full parry. While Silver Knights populate most of Anor Londo, they were the only enemies in that area you can full parry. In fact, the only areas in the game that you can full parry everything are Undead Burg and Parish (the equivalent in 2 is the same,) and Sen's Fortress if you ignore the giants and titanite demons.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I literally can't imagine justifying partial parrying as a way to defend against every enemy in the game as a viable way to play because it's explicitly worse at defending yourself than just blocking. That, while bizarrely skilled, is playing the game in a strange challenge build.

And no, you're mistaken. Almost all the late game areas (Darkwraiths in New Londo and Crystal Undead aside) have pretty much no enemies that you can full parry. While Silver Knights populate most of Anor Londo, they were the only enemies in that area you can full parry. In fact, the only areas in the game that you can full parry everything are Undead Burg and Parish (the equivalent in 2 is the same,) and Sen's Fortress if you ignore the giants and titanite demons.

Almost all DS1 locations had predominately riposte-able or backstab-able enemies with exception of:
Quelaag's Domain
Ash Lake
Crystal Cave
Valley of the Drakes
New Londo Ruins

First 4 of these were really brief and barely contained any enemies.

EDIT: It doesn't really matter how practical this playstyle was. The point is that it was possible and quite viable and even if you don't want to make critical hits your main source of damage it still gave you a much larger variety in the ways to deal with most of your enemies.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Apr 29, 2014

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

It didn't have a whole area filled exclusively with un-riposte-able and un-backstab-able enemies.

Crystal Caves, Demon Ruins, Lost Izalith, Tomb of the Giants. :colbert:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Oh good a horrible poison land filled with loving giants...

BUT SUNBRO STATUE? \o/

Edit: a maxed fire bandit knife owned in DS1, I assume it's the same here for dexlords.

Moongrave fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Apr 29, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The clams in Ash Lake count for at least two normal areas. Best enemy design.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Also, Crystal Caves, Tomb of the Giants, Chasm of the Abyss, Demon Ruins, Lost Izalith, The Depths, Darkroot Garden and Basin.

You may notice that with those and the list you put up, you've named most of the areas in the game.

Jack Trades posted:

EDIT: It doesn't really matter how practical this playstyle was. The point is that it was possible and quite viable and even if you don't want to make critical hits your main source of damage it still gave you a much larger variety in the ways to deal with most of your enemies.

I'm sorry, but partial parrying every enemy in the game isn't viable at all. That's a challenge run, and one that isn't possible in 2. You just miss a minor mechanic that didn't change the game much for the majority of players.

mdct fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Apr 29, 2014

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Also why would you partial parry things you can't riposte? Move that finger one button up, and you have the near strictly better block option available.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

No seriously, I can't be the only one here who has had gamepad issues, right?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Edit: a maxed fire bandit knife owned in DS1, I assume it's the same here for dexlords.

Nah fire scales off of magic stats now so knife weapons really only shine if you infuse and enchant them with your preferred flavor of magic and go to town

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

QuarkJets posted:

No seriously, I can't be the only one here who has had gamepad issues, right?

What pad what OS what parts etc etc etc.

No one can diagnose "my pad no work"

Ruggington posted:

Nah fire scales off of magic stats now so knife weapons really only shine if you infuse and enchant them with your preferred flavor of magic and go to town

Aww, that was going to be my second run, because fire bandit knife was loving amazing, you could attack like 14 times in a row for insane damage and pop off multiple bleeds.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Just as I only bothered to figure out how to backstab at Sen's Fortress in 1 (WOW THIS MAKES IT SO EASY) I have only just noticed how to actually light my torch at the Gutter in 2. :colbert:

e: Somebody tell me a sweet weapon to upgrade that's not an anime greatsword, I weep tears of strength and dex. I kind of like the estoc-y thrusty stamp-ya-feet swords but I dunno.

Captain Diarrhoea fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Apr 29, 2014

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Attestant posted:

Also why would you partial parry things you can't riposte? Move that finger one button up, and you have the near strictly better block option available.

Assuming that I'm playing a DEX build then I probably won't be able to equip high stability shields while staying relatively light so instead of losing a big chink of my stamina and getting briefly stunned I find it to be more logical to lose a bit of my health but be free to use my whole stamina bar almost instantly instead.

EDIT: Of course rolling is quite often a more viable option but the situations where you don't want to move or you want to recover faster were coming up quite often from my experience.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Apr 29, 2014

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Does anyone have experience with the Flamberge sword? I got a Royal Greatsword from the guys in Lost Bastille and am loving the look of the weapon and the animations, but numerically it seems like a slightly weaker version of the Flamberge that's obtainable later, and the Flameberge itself is on the weaker end still compared to other greatswords.

I'm hearing that a good chunk of the damage supposedly comes from the bleed effect, but all I've heard there is that bleed sucks -- unless you infuse the weapon with additional bleed?

Is this decent at all in PvP, and is it effective as well against large 'living' bosses (i.e. assorted demons, Ancient Dragon, stuff actually made of flesh)?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mazed posted:

Does anyone have experience with the Flamberge sword? I got a Royal Greatsword from the guys in Lost Bastille and am loving the look of the weapon and the animations, but numerically it seems like a slightly weaker version of the Flamberge that's obtainable later, and the Flameberge itself is on the weaker end still compared to other greatswords.

I'm hearing that a good chunk of the damage supposedly comes from the bleed effect, but all I've heard there is that bleed sucks -- unless you infuse the weapon with additional bleed?

Is this decent at all in PvP, and is it effective as well against large 'living' bosses (i.e. assorted demons, Ancient Dragon, stuff actually made of flesh)?

Bleed used to instantly remove a certain percentage of enemy HP (30% or so) once you deal enough bleed (spam bandit knife light attack at a blocking player and voila, he loses a shitton of health) which was awesome but now the bleed mechanics have been changed somehow to make that loss more gradual.
I don't know how exactly it works though.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I've done it. I've found my gimmick.

Shirtless fistfights to the death on a tiny rock above the sea of magma.

I need to get the stupid cat to start selling me unlimited Prism Stones so I can mark out the ring. How far in the game do you have to go before she starts coughing them up?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

quote:

Bleed causes one's maximum stamina to be severely reduced to around 75% for 5-10 seconds. It also causes damage to the target's HP on a percentile basis.

I think it only does like 15-20% now max, but the stam reduction is good for PvP but good luck getting a bleed off now.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

I think it only does like 15-20% now max, but the stam reduction is good for PvP but good luck getting a bleed off now.
I wanted to try the Brotherhood of Blood twinblade that has a bleed effect combined with the ring but apparently leveling BoB is a huge chore so I gave up on my dreams.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 57 minutes!

Vengarr posted:

I've done it. I've found my gimmick.

Shirtless fistfights to the death on a tiny rock above the sea of magma.

I need to get the stupid cat to start selling me unlimited Prism Stones so I can mark out the ring. How far in the game do you have to go before she starts coughing them up?

gently caress I just realized what Iron Keep reminded me of

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, I wanna do a Dark version of the Sun Sword for my 'heretic' build but the reach I lose from ditching the Claymore is maddening.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Jack Trades posted:

Assuming that I'm playing a DEX build then I probably won't be able to equip high stability shields while staying relatively light so instead of losing a big chink of my stamina and getting briefly stunned I find it to be more logical to lose a bit of my health but be free to use my whole stamina bar almost instantly instead.

EDIT: Of course rolling is quite often a more viable option but the situations where you don't want to move or you want to recover faster were coming up quite often from my experience.

See how you keep saying you played your DS1 Dexterity build is exactly how I played my DS1 Strength build, partial parries and all. I don't understand how you qualify it as different, maybe you wore a shirt.

[edit]Shields, shirts and two handing the Demons greataxe WAS FOR THE WEAK!

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Apr 29, 2014

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

What pad what OS what parts etc etc etc.

No one can diagnose "my pad no work"

I have some generic ETEKCITY gamepad that works perfectly for everything except Dark Souls II. For some reason Dark Souls II thinks that the right joystick is "swing weapon wildly" instead of "move camera around".

I'm running Windows 7, but I doubt that that matters since the gamepad itself works fine for everything else that I've played on this platform, including the original Dark Souls

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Leveled Dex to 16, fully upgraded the Black Knight Ultra Greatsword. Let's see how this baby performs. :getin:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Jack Trades posted:

At least in DaS1 you are offered a lot of different 100% physical block shields to use, including very light ones that offer reasonable stability. Heater shield is all you need for most blocking needs.

On that note, DaS2 shield selection is something I personally like to complain about. It feels like they had the design principle that light shields block physical at around 75-85%, mediums 85-95% and large shields at 95-100%. This would have been a fine way to reduce the use of shields as a catch-all solution for damage reduction for non-tank characters.

But then they sort of caved in, and gave us SOME 100% block shields, and very early on at that. End result is that everyone and their mother is using Drangleic shield for loving forever, because it outperforms all the other shields in it's weight class for like 95% of the game. You keep finding all these cool looking shields, but why use them when drangleic is still the 100% block one.

:psyduck:

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

And now you read this in a seally Svedisch accent Jå?
Well, it seems that I'm not supposed to have any more fun with pvp this session. Way too many people using trainers or the like to cheat for it to be worth the hassle. :argh:

Add that to the fact that there are at least two groups of friends who are just camping the sol bell right now, the bigger one consisting of the trespasser, one bellbro that does jack poo poo so I can only assume he's in on it and a red phantom that only attacks bellbros.

The second one I can live with, it's at least part of the game, but it annoys me that some people feel the need to cheat at a multiplayer game. It's not like they need to cheat to kill me... :(

Edit: I would also like to add that any bellbro that just sits on the sideline and waits until the either the trespasser or their fellow bellbro is dead before engaging deserves to be forced to use the bell as a improvised buttplug. If you join the bell covenant your job is to protect the bell by helping your fellow bellbros, not be some loving honorable e-samurai that just stands there and waits like a mook in a bad hong kong movie. :colbert:

Mr Wikstroem fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Apr 29, 2014

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Holy poo poo binoculars. Seriously, if you're a mage of any sort, get the binoculars. I had no idea where they were until I looked it up online, and I'm very sad that I missed them because they would have made several sections of the game much easier. As it is, I can finally go back to that stupid area with those godsdamned ranged spellcasters that have no issues targeting me but who I can't lock onto, and finally snipe them properly.

For those who missed them, they're available in the main town area. Travel back on the path towards the first area and explore around a bit.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
So is the invasion around the bandit paths area of the Huntsman's Copse an AI one? The other two invasions I've had were both hackers who I couldn't do any damage to at all, but this one just died so easily I assume it's the Maneater Mildred of DS2.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
So you guys know about the insanely strict censorship for names in the game?

Apparently Adolf Hitler is a perfectly fine name, since I summoned him for the Chariot boss...

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I could barely stand to be without a shield in DkS1. But, after actually trying dual-wielding in this game for a while, I'm beginning to think shields may be worth ditching altogether. As it is, I only keep one around -- Archdrake Shield; looks good, not too heavy, 95% physical damage reduction is perfectly sufficient. It comes out normally at the beginning of fights where I've been summoned, playing it safe and watching the host and other phantoms to see what their approach is and how to complement it, or during solo fights where control and patience is vital (Belfry Gargoyles comes to mind).

Otherwise, it's dual weapons (or something big with a good 2h moveset). I would really, really suggest everyone give this a try. Do an entire area without a shield. It is difficult, you'll take a lot of hits, but after a time you get used to the rhythm of it, and then it becomes fun. An entirely new way to approach the game opens up and you will feel like an absolute badass as you style all over big bad dudes you always used to hide behind a shield from.

This is especially encouraged in PvP. Quite frankly, shields are for suckers in that part of the game, as breaking an opponent's guard is really easy once you realize you can do it.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

And now you read this in a seally Svedisch accent Jå?

Apparently Adolf Hitler is a perfectly fine name, since I summoned him for the Chariot boss...

Well, that's the word filter in asian games for you. I remember playing a game called Gunbound many many years ago now and you couldn't use the name of one of the vehicles since it was censored due to the translation being a dirty word in japanese or something. It was all very poorly thought out. As I recall they also censored one of the cardinal directions but I'll be damned if I can remembered which.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Wow, the "aiming" mechanic for ultra greatswords is awful.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Filters are always insane. Mongoose is censored on PSN.

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008

Was he any good?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

No kidding, I was locked on to a grey spirit in belfry luna, doublehanding the zweihander, r1 attack and my character turns around and smashes the black powder kegs, taking out the last of my HP. :darksouls:

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Is it just me or do the giant dog things in the gutter have totally hosed attacks with the damage coming before the animation?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nah their attack just isn't super obvious. They kind of swing their head a little and that murders you somehow. Also they're rats!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 57 minutes!

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Is it just me or do the giant dog things in the gutter have totally hosed attacks with the damage coming before the animation?

that and poo poo textures, yes

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
drat it I wish the KB+M controls were better. I played this and beat it on PS3, now wanted to play with pretty graphics and I'm pretty bummed out. I mean I have a wireless xbox 360 controller but its so loving bulky and big compared to the PS3 controls

I don't have a bluetooth dongle to fix motioninjoy :sigh:

But game owns, and is very very pretty

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I assume it's the same aiming mechanic for great hammers, where you can rotate around between attacks? yeah, it takes some getting used to, but it can also be pretty useful once you figure it out, like being able to turn and slam someone who tried to roll around your first attack in PvP.

I have a question for anyone who would know: I read that soul memory doesn't factor into matchmaking when in new game plus, is that true?

Skilleddk posted:

drat it I wish the KB+M controls were better. I played this and beat it on PS3, now wanted to play with pretty graphics and I'm pretty bummed out. I mean I have a wireless xbox 360 controller but its so loving bulky and big compared to the PS3 controls

I don't have a bluetooth dongle to fix motioninjoy :sigh:

But game owns, and is very very pretty

I use Motioninjoy with my PS3's USB plug. it kinda sucks being tethered, but it's right here so it's not a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

quote:

I assume it's the same aiming mechanic for great hammers, where you can rotate around between attacks? yeah, it takes some getting used to, but it can also be pretty useful once you figure it out, like being able to turn and slam someone who tried to roll around your first attack in PvP.

It's way too fickle though. You basically have to stop for a second before swinging.

Jesus Christ, the game took a real dive in quality after Amana.

gently caress you Undead Crypt.

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Apr 29, 2014