Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Good Citizen posted:

As someone who got a degree from the actual largest university in the country, nope.
Ah, hadn't checked in forever - did Michigan or Ohio bounce back above Texas again or something? It seems like there are about 3-4 schools that occupy those spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

ReindeerF posted:

Ah, hadn't checked in forever - did Michigan or Ohio bounce back above Texas again or something? It seems like there are about 3-4 schools that occupy those spots.

Arizona State has had that dubious honor for like 5 years now

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ReindeerF posted:

Penn State has been the largest or second largest for several years in a row, alternating with Arizona State. UT Austin is a a good 10,000-25,000 students behind.

Both Pennslyvania and Arizona are unusual in concentrating university enrollment so heavily.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

You're all forgetting the University of Phoenix :colbert:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Install Windows posted:

Penn State has been the largest or second largest for several years in a row, alternating with Arizona State. UT Austin is a a good 10,000-25,000 students behind.

Both Pennslyvania and Arizona are unusual in concentrating university enrollment so heavily.

Penn State has the record if you add up all of their campuses. Arizona State has the most students concentrated on one campus.

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

You're all forgetting the University of Phoenix :colbert:

You can't make me count them

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Gen. Ripper posted:

Wait, so Jones doesn't dogwhistle about the Jews Zionists leading the Illuminati and headquartering in Israel? :confused:

Actually Jones avoids using the word Zionist and never delves off into that particular area of nutbaggery. Why he doesn't I don't know, but it provides a shitload of fodder for the even more fringe groups to accuse him of being cointelpro. The rumor is that the guy whom owns Alex Jones company is a Zionist. Of course, they assert that without a shred of evidence.

One curious note though, since were talking Alex Jones related conspiracies, is that Jones has basically said "Yeah, the Koch bros are Globalists, but they are one of the good ones, fighting for many of the same things we are".

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

I keep saying it, but what passes for modern conservatism is basically just a scheme to part rubes from their money.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Really though, how do I get in on this game? It seems so easy, I just need connections. How do I cultivate those connections?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

Really though, how do I get in on this game? It seems so easy, I just need connections. How do I cultivate those connections?

Be born with them.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Cheekio posted:

Rep. Michael Grimm (R-N.Y.), found to be exonerated for his threats against a reporter, as he had good reason to aggressively avoid questions about his campaign finance.

I live in Grimms district and I hope the Feds nail him to a gently caress cross.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Thank you for this. Definitely saving it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

KomradeX posted:

a gently caress cross.

Kinky.

Shbobd - grab your bootstraps and pull hard.

Gorilla Desperado
Oct 9, 2012

KomradeX posted:

I live in Grimms district and I hope the Feds nail him to a gently caress cross.

Did you see Rachel Maddows show last night? If not, you should go look at it online. She had a segment about Grimm saying he won't resign and will keep fighting until he's exonerated. So the local Repugs have a problem on their hands and guess who they're contemplating in order to get rid of him... Vito loving Fossella! Since you're local, I doubt I have to say anything about the hilariousness of that :munch:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The filing deadline in Grimm's district was two weeks ago, so he's on the ballot even if he resigns today.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joementum posted:

The filing deadline in Grimm's district was two weeks ago, so he's on the ballot even if he resigns today.

Like Staten loving island would have changed their mind.

Gorilla Desperado
Oct 9, 2012

Joementum posted:

Hahaha, they are truly stuck. Here's the link to Maddow's segment: http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/watch/indicted-congressman-puts-gop-in-grim-state-240381507951

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

KomradeX posted:

Condolences. It's a shame that southwest Brooklyn has to be part of a district that includes Staten Island. Domenick Recchia sure is thanking Bloomberg for extended term limits now, huh?

Shageletic posted:

Per capita, Texans earn 80% of what New Yorkers do, even considering Buffalo.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/magazine/march_april_may_2014/features/oops_the_texas_miracle_that_is049289.php?page=all

If that's the future of America, count me out.
Just to put things in perspective here, it's not just Buffalo that's poor- this includes all of the cities and towns in upstate New York that are shells of their former selves. I spent a year in Binghamton and it is a sorry sad sack of a city. It used to be the home of IBM, but when they left town it went downhill really fast. The downtown area has no grocery stores, and the only time it gets lively is when the drunk college students get drunk at the three bars in the area. I haven't been to Schenectady, but it also has the problem of losing a behemoth of a company (in their case it's GE). You'll get the same stories in many different parts of upstate.

So if the supposedly prosperous Texas can't hurdle the very low bar set by my state, then it's beyond help. I kinda want to see it secede so that I can watch it become a combination of Libertopia, Iran, and- when Latinos and other minorities outnumber white people- apartheid South Africa.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
And, in case anyone is wondering, you can be in Congress and Federal prison at the same time, though it obviously causes logistical problems for floor votes. The last time this came up with Jim Trafficant in 2002, but the House can vote by a supermajority to expel a member, which they did 420-1 in that case. Gary Condit was the sole vote against expulsion.

FAUXTON posted:

Like Staten loving island would have changed their mind.

As Weigel joked, Grimm is as close as Staten Island could get to electing a sleeveless t-shirt to Congress.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Staten Island's only good cultural outputs are the Wu-Tang Clan and the movie Big Fan. Other than that, it can sink into the ocean. Or better yet, let New Jersey annex it. I won't mind.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
They have a very nice Tibetan art museum as well! :)

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Joementum posted:

And, in case anyone is wondering, you can be in Congress and Federal prison at the same time, though it obviously causes logistical problems for floor votes. The last time this came up with Jim Trafficant in 2002, but the House can vote by a supermajority to expel a member, which they did 420-1 in that case. Gary Condit was the sole vote against expulsion.
What was Condit's reason for voting against expulsion? Usually that kind of vote is crazy Uncle Ron's thing

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joementum posted:

As Weigel joked, Grimm is as close as Staten Island could get to electing a sleeveless t-shirt to Congress.

My familiarity with the denizens of Staten island extends to second-generation shitheelery slithering down to Florida, so please correct me if I am wrong: Staten Island is basically a slightly less Italian Jersey Shore?

I was/still kind of am a rueful little bastard about these people with their accents that sounded like they had Downs Syndrome and persisted in their residence despite having nothing but complaints about everything plus da yumiddity. Never mind that it probably was a family friend from up there that stuffed ya muffla wit newspapah an cauwled it a fix, clearly it's the lack of a sufficiently dry heat.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Fried Chicken posted:

What was Condit's reason for voting against expulsion? Usually that kind of vote is crazy Uncle Ron's thing
Gary "intern loving murder suspect later exonerated" Condit? If so, I would bet indignation over his treatment.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

truavatar posted:

They have a very nice Tibetan art museum as well! :)
As well as a large Sri Lankan population. I should swallow my pride and see the few sights that are worth seeing there.

FAUXTON posted:

My familiarity with the denizens of Staten island extends to second-generation shitheelery slithering down to Florida, so please correct me if I am wrong: Staten Island is basically a slightly less Italian Jersey Shore?
Most of the cast of Jersey Shore is from Staten Island.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

ReindeerF posted:

Gary "intern loving murder suspect later exonerated" Condit? If so, I would bet indignation over his treatment.

You realize they caught the actual killer, right? And that he had tried to get 2 other women in an identical way, but only Levy was unable to get away. I know people like to point out stuff like Scarborough's intern dying in suspicious circumstances, but this is a serial rapist and attempted serial killer who actually did the deed.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Alright, I'm about to knock all of you on your asses, so please hold on to something structurally sound or take a seat:

How did Texas get Toyota to move their operations there?

40 million dollars.

It's OK, though. The lack of corporate state tax and personal income tax will balance the budget, though. I've double checked it using Paul Ryan's excel spreadsheet.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Phone posted:

Alright, I'm about to knock all of you on your asses, so please hold on to something structurally sound or take a seat:

40 million dollars.

It's OK, though. The lack of corporate state tax and personal income tax will balance the budget, though. I've double checked it using Paul Ryan's excel spreadsheet.
But don't you see, they're up 5300 points while California is down 5300 points! That's what counts.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Phone posted:

40 million dollars.

Really, that's all? Toyota's a bunch of suckers then.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

So, you may have noticed that the Obama administration is working to address inequities between how men and women are treated by society. Things like executive orders on the pay gap, support for social campaigns to help little girls, and today rolling out new guidelines to combat sexual assault in college campuses. And weak minded liberals you are, you probably think these are all good things. Fortunately, American Enterprise Institute is here to correct you on you misconceptions like "rape happens far to often"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLytTJqkSQqtr7BqC1Jf4nv3g2yDfu7Xmd&v=lNsJ1DhqQ-s&feature=share&app=desktop

That link was promoted by David Frum. Turns out being a "sane republican" doesn't pay that well, so he is desperately trying to climb back in the tent.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fried Chicken posted:

Condit had already lost his primary and was a lame duck at the time, so I'm guessing he just didn't give a gently caress any more. Ron Paul stood on principle and refused to vote because Trafficant hadn't exhausted his appeals.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Fried Chicken posted:

So, you may have noticed that the Obama administration is working to address inequities between how men and women are treated by society. Things like executive orders on the pay gap, support for social campaigns to help little girls, and today rolling out new guidelines to combat sexual assault in college campuses. And weak minded liberals you are, you probably think these are all good things. Fortunately, American Enterprise Institute is here to correct you on you misconceptions like "rape happens far to often"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLytTJqkSQqtr7BqC1Jf4nv3g2yDfu7Xmd&v=lNsJ1DhqQ-s&feature=share&app=desktop

That link was promoted by David Frum. Turns out being a "sane republican" doesn't pay that well, so he is desperately trying to climb back in the tent.

This kind of stuff is like that Climate Change comic where the GOP guy is like "what if climate change isn't that bad and we made the environment better for nothing??". It's like oh no we spent some time and energy fighting against rape and gender inequality so now even though "it wasn't happening that often" it's still less rape and women get slightly more money for themselves and their families. How horrible!!!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Fried Chicken posted:

I love the 'argument' on that video. Those dastardly bastards fudged the numbers, they used poorly constructed surveys, they ignored official reports!

Hey, you god drat kettle. You're black!

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

ReindeerF posted:

Hey guys due process is only important when its people we like

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Y-Hat posted:

Just to put things in perspective here, it's not just Buffalo that's poor- this includes all of the cities and towns in upstate New York that are shells of their former selves. I spent a year in Binghamton and it is a sorry sad sack of a city. It used to be the home of IBM, but when they left town it went downhill really fast. The downtown area has no grocery stores, and the only time it gets lively is when the drunk college students get drunk at the three bars in the area. I haven't been to Schenectady, but it also has the problem of losing a behemoth of a company (in their case it's GE). You'll get the same stories in many different parts of upstate.

So if the supposedly prosperous Texas can't hurdle the very low bar set by my state, then it's beyond help. I kinda want to see it secede so that I can watch it become a combination of Libertopia, Iran, and- when Latinos and other minorities outnumber white people- apartheid South Africa.

If you look at New York though, there is this tiny location somewhere with a huge population and a massive amount (at last four a few) of income. Texas has a large area of poor place (spatially) that are widely not as depressing because there wasn't a prior corporation that left. I would assume if you cut New York City from the population and income, Texas would wind up ahead. Realistically though, state dick waving contests are dumb because that means North Dakota gets brought into the discussion.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Phone posted:

40 million dollars.

If your business relocating can be a feather in Perry's cap (or I guess now a lens cloth for his smart-person glasses?) there is a ton of money to be had moving to Texas. Of course that money comes at the expense of other businesses and residents already established and paying taxes in Texas but that doesn't make national news.

It might just be a local thing in Austin due to the insane property value increases and continual school district fee jumps but I get the feeling people are getting increasingly hostile about the property tax exemptions given to businesses and commercial developments. I just hope it doesn't result in something incredibly stupid along the lines of CA's Prop 13.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

Condolences. It's a shame that southwest Brooklyn has to be part of a district that includes Staten Island. Domenick Recchia sure is thanking Bloomberg for extended term limits now, huh?

I'm actually from Buffalo, nothing like poking at your hometown.

I'm well aware of how Buffalo, shrinking, old-fying, Buffalo, is now a magnet for most other parts of uptown New York. That's not a good sign.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Fried Chicken posted:

Ahahahahaha literally "Its cool guys, drunk sex or sex you were coerced into isn't rape or anything."

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Phone posted:

40 million dollars.

Oh, it's more than that. $40m from the enterprise fund, but also there's the advantageous tax situation for the executives who approved the plan. Re-quoting from the great Washington Monthly article posted earlier:

quote:

Texas has sales and property taxes that make its overall burden of taxation on low-wage families much heavier than the national average, while the state also taxes the middle class at rates as high or higher than in California. For instance, non-elderly Californians with family income in the middle 20 percent of the income distribution pay combined state and local taxes amounting to 8.2 percent of their income, according to the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy; by contrast, their counterparts in Texas pay 8.6 percent.

And unlike in California, middle-class families in Texas don’t get the advantage of having rich people share equally in the cost of providing government services. The top 1 percent in Texas have an effective tax rate of just 3.2 percent. That’s roughly two-fifths the rate that’s borne by the middle class, and just a quarter the rate paid by all those low-wage “takers” at the bottom 20 percent of the family income distribution. This Robin-Hood-in-reverse system gives Texas the fifth-most-regressive tax structure in the nation.

Middle- and lower-income Texans in effect make up for the taxes the rich don’t pay in Texas by making do with fewer government services, such as by accepting a K-12 public school system that ranks behind forty-one other states, including Alabama, in spending per student.

In addition to the grant from the Enterprise Fund, Toyota's executives get to live in a state where there is no personal income tax, and state revenues come from high corporate income taxes (which Toyota got the state to grant them a giant exemption from), property taxes that the rich are good at dodging by working the referees property valuations, and sales taxes (which are regressive).

Basically, the state of Texas offered Toyota an opportunity to save money at the expense of their workforce and taxpayers in Texas, and Perry gets a feather to stick in his cap to further his national ambitions.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Fried Chicken posted:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/04/27/exclusive-kerry-warns-israel-could-become-an-apartheid-state.html

Because a unitary state winds up either being an apartheid state with second-class citizens—or it ends up being a state that destroys the capacity of Israel to be a Jewish state

I'm not that familiar with Mideast policy, what's wrong with the latter option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

William Bear posted:

I'm not that familiar with Mideast policy, what's wrong with the latter option?

I think it comes down to "ITS NOT FAIR :qq:" and when pushed for why it's not fair, the answer is "because".

• Locked thread