Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ea-9300202.html

Seems reasonable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Just be a bit of a dissenting opinion, but there are some people who don't actually respond favourably to grief counselling at all and it can actually make the entire process that much worse. People respond to grief in many, many different ways. When my mother died, I don't even think I cried. I had my sister to take care of, so it was almost all business, making sure affairs were in order etc.

I guess that seems crazy to some people, and I constantly had people telling me that I should be upset, with the implication that I was some sort of lunatic/sociopath (I guess) for not being incredibly shook up about the entire situation.

It doesn't sound like that's the case here but I think the 'five stages of grief' aspect should be taken with a grain of salt as it doesn't apply to everyone equally.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

He was on Question Time on the eve of Gay Marriages coming in and he was all red faced as he said something to the effect of "Its law now but its still unnatural' and he was bursting to go much much further.

So no, not reasonable at all. The strides forward that the LGBT community has made since 1967 alone, whilst sill not enough, are considerable. To think it is an illness that can be cured is victorian and totally repugnant in every way, and I cannot tell you how much it disheartens me that views like this are still given air, and are likely just what he thinks he can get away with in this 'PC gone mad' environment.

The only thing that gives me heart is my brothers funeral last year. He was gay, and not shy about it, but the chapel was packed out with all sorts, from young girls, married couples, old ladies to hairy arsed middle aged builders who all attended because they were his friends. Lots of the latter group I also know, and are keen on voting UKIP from a self preservation standpoint, but not one of them cared he was gay. I choose to hope that is representative of society as a whole, not dear old Roger and his waxed moustache.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Which part, the headline? There's a lot of his comments in that article, you'll have to be a bit more specific.

Regarding the headline, if you take it literally then yes that is reasonable, but it's also irrelevant because none of the existing legislation forces anyone to like gay people. In fact I'm not sure how you would be able to draft a law that mandates liking gay people. I mean, what if someone merely pretends to like a gay person? If, deep down, they still don't like them, then they would be breaking the Like The Gays Act, but there would be no real way to enforce it without mandatory lie-detector testing on every UK citizen.

So yes it's reasonable.

That's what you meant, right?

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Spangly A posted:

Borderline personality disorder (BPD) (called emotionally unstable personality disorder, emotional intensity disorder, borderline type in the ICD-10)

So like I said, it doesn't exist and yet nobody noticed. It got changed because the NHS won't stop referring to it as "arsehole disorder".

You can understand why clinicians hate dealing with it; I don't really think non-PD specialized mental health staff should be going near BPDs at all. They are smart enough to out-think the majority of people and deceptive enough to manipulate most staff who haven't dealt with it multiple times before. Also, female BPD vs male psychatrist with no PD experience is gonna end with the psychiatrist getting fired for sleeping with patients more than a trivial portion of the time.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Trickjaw posted:

The only thing that gives me heart is my brothers funeral last year. He was gay, and not shy about it, but the chapel was packed out with all sorts, from young girls, married couples, old ladies to hairy arsed middle aged builders who all attended because they were his friends. Lots of the latter group I also know, and are keen on voting UKIP from a self preservation standpoint, but not one of them cared he was gay. I choose to hope that is representative of society as a whole, not dear old Roger and his waxed moustache.
Contrary to what you'd expect from the UKIP fluff, 54% of UKIP supporters agree with gay marriage. You could add a few % to that for those who are okay with gay people generally but don't agree on the marriage issue. 89% of Britons in general believe gay people should be able to live openly together.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

http://www.facedementia.org/

An insight into the symptoms of dementia, requires facebook.

Pretty good idea, skims some info and pictures from your facebook profile and talks about what it would be like for them to disappear. It doesn't edit the information or post things if you don't want it to.

Dementia is a horrible disease, the gradual loss of the memories that makes you who you are. Personalising ad campaigns like this is an excellent way to make the issue hit home. Ideally enough funding would come from central sources to research this, but cuts must be made, and so the cost of R&D is foisted onto the people who can least afford it (mainly the family of alzeimers sufferers).

Don't read the comments for the story on the BBC website, someone has already claimed that dementia is caused by fluoride...

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Reminder that hacks from the Mail and Torygraph have been tweeting kids to try and get info on that poor teacher that got stabbed.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
I was being facetious. Of course it isn't reasonable, it's crazy.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

KKKlean Energy posted:

Regarding the headline, if you take it literally then yes that is reasonable

I dislike Yorkshire Tea so much I refuse to allow any in my houses that I own because I am a peculiar homophobic landlord, how's that? :smugbert:

I also never shut up about how much I dislike this one kind of tea. Anyone mentions tea, I'll be sure to air my opinion that all tea is ruined by the mere existence of Yorkshire. But it's okay, because it's just tea! (all analogies are poo poo, hth)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Saki posted:

I was being facetious. Of course it isn't reasonable, it's crazy.

Oh, sorry. I... I had to make sure.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

CancerCakes posted:

http://www.facedementia.org/

An insight into the symptoms of dementia, requires facebook.

Pretty good idea, skims some info and pictures from your facebook profile and talks about what it would be like for them to disappear. It doesn't edit the information or post things if you don't want it to.

Dementia is a horrible disease, the gradual loss of the memories that makes you who you are. Personalising ad campaigns like this is an excellent way to make the issue hit home. Ideally enough funding would come from central sources to research this, but cuts must be made, and so the cost of R&D is foisted onto the people who can least afford it (mainly the family of alzeimers sufferers).

Don't read the comments for the story on the BBC website, someone has already claimed that dementia is caused by fluoride...

I respect the motivations behind it, but that website is facile as gently caress.

Is watching a photo of an angry goat I posted on Facebook disappear really giving me an insight into dementia?

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Renaissance Robot posted:

I dislike Yorkshire Tea so much I refuse to allow any in my houses that I own because I am a peculiar homophobic landlord, how's that? :smugbert:

I also never shut up about how much I dislike this one kind of tea. Anyone mentions tea, I'll be sure to air my opinion that all tea is ruined by the mere existence of Yorkshire. But it's okay, because it's just tea! (all analogies are poo poo, hth)

I like trying different kinds of tea, I guess I'm chai-curious...

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014

Zero Star posted:

Reminder that hacks from the Mail and Torygraph have been tweeting kids to try and get info on that poor teacher that got stabbed.

Daily Mail are currently going with the idea that Dark Souls was a primary cause.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

little help?

in yesterday's times there was a sidebar about patrick o'flynn Ukip's comms director. he'd apparantly accidentaly texted something rude about one of their journalists to the journalist in question.
does anyone have a copy? or a pic of it? i saw it on twitter at the time but buggered if i can find it now.

it's for a project; do not ask what the project is

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

tdrules posted:

Daily Mail are currently going with the idea that Dark Souls was a primary cause.

Oh god you're not joking. :(

Also blamed: 'goth' metal, antidepressants, paracetamol, Satan

v---It's all over their homepage, don't bother.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

tdrules posted:

Source?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

They also put the Dark Souls 2 trailer in there. Because they're Journalists and the people need to know.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
Did anyone really think we'd import the US's school killings culture without the associated media crazy ?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
This wouldn't have happened if every teacher carried a knife.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Jesus, he couldn't be any more the absolute stereotype of a school shooter. Anyone would think we'd learn to recognise the signs rather than demonising these poor kids.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

KKKlean Energy posted:

This wouldn't have happened if every teacher carried a knife.
Or a Gower's Ring of Protection.

:saddowns:

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Praseodymi posted:

Jesus, he couldn't be any more the absolute stereotype of a school shooter. Anyone would think we'd learn to recognise the signs rather than demonising these poor kids.

Its what the Mail does best. Mind you, this all just from the Mail/Telegraph so far, and they do enjoy cherry-picking identifying factors, and mobilising the 'THINK OF THE CHILDREN!' bandwagon

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Praseodymi posted:

He's a stereotype of a teenager, not of a school shooter.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
drat, how could we not notice the massive rise in stabbings since dark souls came out??

Wait, there wasn't one?

Oh.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

What do you mean we just had a record breaking violent crime drop?

Video games cure violence? Bring it to the presses once you're done doing those illegal things!!

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Spangly A posted:

drat, how could we not notice the massive rise in stabbings since dark souls came out??

Wait, there wasn't one?

Oh.

Yes, but a sequel has come out. Thats what triggers the sleeper agent teenagers, after being programmed by the first one.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Mr. Flunchy posted:

He's a stereotype of a teenager, not of a school shooter.

He's at best the stereotype of a moody teenager. Considering that apparently every pupil interviewed described him as an outcast or a weirdo, and he's at the age where mental illness usually makes itself known he should be at the top of the list for people to keep an eye on in case they become a serial killer.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Trickjaw posted:

Yes, but a sequel has come out. Thats what triggers the sleeper agent teenagers, after being programmed by the first one.

Being serious, since we know that media storms over killings are basically the only thing that reliably increase killings independent of other factors, are there any MPs who would like to take the Mail to the cleaners about this?

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Praseodymi posted:

The only school shooter in the UK was a middle aged man with a scout obsession.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

That article posted:

He added: ‘He came to a party a few weeks ago and he took some paracetamol beforehand. He used to take drugs all the time.’
Seriously though Charlie Brooker had a good piece about media coverage of school shootings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PezlFNTGWv4

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 29, 2014

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

I understand the need to ask 'Why?' but it irks me they always fall back on tired old cliches. The boy can't be denied to have had some mental issues, it should highlight the lack of effective mental care and prevention in this country. Spangly, no MP is going to take the rational approach you suggest when they can sail against strawmen that the public have been told to accept.

Its shocking, and awful, but things like this don't just happen as a result of exposure to popular culture.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
We should just be happy that they didn't mention he liked Crash Bandicoot too.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

The argument that video games cause violence fail from a meta analysis point of view - more people are playing video games all the time, yet violent crime is decreasing. If one caused the other they would have a proportional relationship, but they don't.

There are always going to be people who are predisposed to violent acts, more normally due to their individual backgrounds and situations. Blaming video games increases the chances that these violent acts will occur as it prevents better solutions getting the attention they deserve and also increases the chances of similar acts through media exposure.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Meanwhile, in Thatcher's Britain(tm)

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Oh my god you weren't joking about the paracetemol thing. The kids have to be taking the piss, absolutely have to. No way kids are loving naive enough to think Paracetemol is a "drug".

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Meanwhile, in Thatcher's Britain(tm)
It's a fake.

And for equal measure,

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.

This sort of thing is counter-productive also I am a special and unique snowflake with a self diagnosed personality disorder

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Sorry I may have missed it but is this UKIP freepost thing a myth? Will it actually cost them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Yup, it costs. Sent mine back today.

• Locked thread