Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Good art goons.

Why do y'all hate Dan Slott? I'm reading Spiderman in the rotating artist period and I had noticed he has an affinity for Claremontesque expository inner monologue, am I just gonna have to deal with it?

Also, I think Bachalo is growing on me....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

zoux posted:

Good art goons.

Why do y'all hate Dan Slott? I'm reading Spiderman in the rotating artist period and I had noticed he has an affinity for Claremontesque expository inner monologue, am I just gonna have to deal with it?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I think his pacing is really bad and he has a poor handle on characterization--that is, not just a poor handle on the voices of certain characters, but a poor handle on making characters sound like believable humans in general. Especially when they are anyone besides the protagonist of a book. Sometimes he makes up for it by keeping his stories light and fun, and here and there I genuinely enjoy a story he's done, but I find it hard to tolerate him on Spider-man.

Edit: I should also say I don't hate Dan Slott, I just think his bad work outweighs the good.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

zoux posted:

Good art goons.

Because he's loving garbage and writes bad books.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Dagda posted:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I think his pacing is really bad and he has a poor handle on characterization--that is, not just a poor handle on the voices of certain characters, but a poor handle on making characters sound like believable humans in general. Especially when they are anyone besides the protagonist of a book. Sometimes he makes up for it by keeping his stories light and fun, and here and there I genuinely enjoy a story he's done, but I find it hard to tolerate him on Spider-man.

Edit: I should also say I don't hate Dan Slott, I just think his bad work outweighs the good.

Spiderman was on like a weekly schedule at the time right? Can't imagine that would help a writer.

Literally The Worst posted:

Because he's loving garbage and writes bad books.

I see....

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

Spiderman was on like a weekly schedule at the time right? Can't imagine that would help a writer.
Yes and no. I mean, most writers can put out multiple books per month (how many is Hickman writing between his Marvel and independent works?), so really, one writer doing four issues of one book is well within the realm of believability. I'm pretty sure when Slott became sole writer, it was only three a month, but I could be wrong about that.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

zoux posted:

What they did was pretty clever, they had a group of around 4 writers that would work together and alternate arcs and artists. One writer gets top credit for their arc, but the group ended up being credited as the Spidey Brain Trust or something.

Slott's work was never great, it's probably the low point of the BND Spider-Man, but it's no worse than average filler comics.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What exactly does Quesada do as "chief creative officer" and was he fired through promotion or was it his idea?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

What exactly does Quesada do as "chief creative officer" and was he fired through promotion or was it his idea?

I am pretty sure it means that he is the highest person in the Marvel hierarchy. He is above the editor in chief.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

I am pretty sure it means that he is the highest person in the Marvel hierarchy. He is above the editor in chief.

I mean, was there anyone above him as as EiC though? Maybe it's less of a workload, I dunno.

Also I said gently caress it and started reading Hawkguy, which I'd been saving for a rainy day. OMG David Aja you guys.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

I mean, was there anyone above him as as EiC though? Maybe it's less of a workload, I dunno.

Also I said gently caress it and started reading Hawkguy, which I'd been saving for a rainy day. OMG David Aja you guys.

Jemas was.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Beanpants posted:

shut up guys im a spy now im darkspied

:swoon: :allears:

In a confusing turn Marvel announce Thanos: The Winter Soldier to desperately try and compete.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I love the worst runs thread, but has there ever been a best runs thread?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

I predict a lot of arguing.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
While we're on the subject of threads, would a costume thread interest people? We could talk about costume design and post weird/crazy/horrible obscure costumes, too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Schneider Heim posted:

While we're on the subject of threads, would a costume thread interest people? We could talk about costume design and post weird/crazy/horrible obscure costumes, too.

I'd like to settle the question of who had the most alternate outfits.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
There was a costume thread and it should definitely live again.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Schneider Heim posted:

I think Kitty's Sprite costume wins all three of those.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Costume threads and "best of" threads have appeared every now and again and just end up floating into the archives sometimes but there's nothing wrong with starting a new thread.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

What's the big difference between Marvel and DC as far as the creative hierarchy goes? It seems to me that Geoff Johns, who's CCO at DC, has a lot less influence than Quesada enjoys in the same job at Marvel, and then it's derived from his popularity as a writer rather than his corporate position.

Like, Tom Brevoort's current role at Marvel is equivalent to what Dan DiDio had before he was co-publisher (or maybe it's the one he has now; I'm not sure) and he seems to have less pull as regards the creative direction of the line than DiDio does at DC.

zoux posted:

There was a hidden gems thread for underrated runs, but I think it's archived now.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Johns has less influence than Quesada because Johns woe some mediocre books and had a huge hand in Green Lantern while Quesada as EIC helped pull Marvel out of bankruptcy, become the biggest comic maker out there, and consulted on some huge movies. As CCO, I think he manages and coordinates both the comics and movies

The positions are also different because Marvel has the comics and movies both report to the publisher, while DC entertainment is a subsidiary of WB movies.

E: And Axel Alonso is the EIC, Brevoort is an editor

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

StumblyWumbly posted:

E: And Axel Alonso is the EIC, Brevoort is an editor

Yes, I phrased that poorly. What I meant was, Brevoort is currently Senior VP of Publishing at Marvel, which I think was what DiDio did at DC before he and Jim Lee took over from Paul Levitz.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

StumblyWumbly posted:

Slott's work was never great, it's probably the low point of the BND Spider-Man, but it's no worse than average filler comics.

The problem is when it stops being filler and becomes the entire book.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Quesada's position means he works more in Marvel media rather than comics? Or maybe he is like the go-between between the comics and the television/animated/movie/video game stuff?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

notthegoatseguy posted:

Quesada's position means he works more in Marvel media rather than comics? Or maybe he is like the go-between between the comics and the television/animated/movie/video game stuff?

He has some influence over creative folks and creative direction for all of Marvel.

Also, Quesada is the 2nd hit when I googled Chief Creative Officer.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I was watching Road to Perdition the other day and I knew that it was based on comic. I have never read the comic but it got me wondering how good the comics that movies are based actually are. I am talking about comics like Road to Perdition, Ghost World, History of Violence, Men in Black, the Mask etc. Basically any movie based on a comic that isn't done by the big 2.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jesus Christ Bendis' Daredevil run. Looking forward to getting to read this through Brubaker, and I hear Waid's run is pretty loving good too. Is Diggle's stuff ok?

So, Marvel name drops DC superheroes all the time. Do DC characters ever name drop Marvel guys?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Schneider Heim posted:

Is it gonna be a pure mock thread or can we post costumes we like as well?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Madkal posted:

I was watching Road to Perdition the other day and I knew that it was based on comic. I have never read the comic but it got me wondering how good the comics that movies are based actually are. I am talking about comics like Road to Perdition, Ghost World, History of Violence, Men in Black, the Mask etc. Basically any movie based on a comic that isn't done by the big 2.

The History of Violence comic is not as good as the movie. It's less restrained in what it shows and that works against the story. While the movie also has this sort of explosions of violence, they come as a shock and as a way to break sort of calm and suspense between the scenes (and the perception that Vigo Mortensen's character is just a regular person with no ties to the mobsters). In the comic we find out rather early the main character's story and his relationship with the "bad guys" so it has to escalate both the violence and the reveals in order to surprise or shock the reader, which ends up feeling played out and kind of ridiculous to be honest.

Basically, the movie is a much tighter story and is better told.

And as I understand it, the MiB comics were much darker and more conspiracy theory than fun sci-fi romp.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

zoux posted:

Jesus Christ Bendis' Daredevil run. Looking forward to getting to read this through Brubaker, and I hear Waid's run is pretty loving good too. Is Diggle's stuff ok?

Nnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooo

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

zoux posted:

So, Marvel name drops DC superheroes all the time. Do DC characters ever name drop Marvel guys?

Diggle's stuff starts out....okay, I guess, but ends really, really badly.

I swear it didn't start out completely awful. I remember liking the Dark Reign The List tie-in he wrote.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
It was pretty okay up until Shadowland, which was just the worst bullshit copout reverse from the Bendis and Brubaker runs possible. The Reborn miniseries was just kinda pointless, but it brought us to the Waid run, so hey.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Madkal posted:

I highly suggest the Mask comics. Not only do they hold up, but they also work as a fascinating companion piece to how the movie and even cartoon series turned out. Like imagine the movie with a hard R rating due to violence because hitting someone with a mallet would cause horrible, bloody damage to your average human being. Instead of glorifying the Mask's powers as being this awesome thing, it's really shown as being a terrible, life-destroying vice. Sure, you're invincible when you wear it, but it makes you overly impulsive with no concept of repercussions. You'll pay for it the next day like the world's worst hangover and within a week, your life will be in shambles. Rick Remender's Venom run borrows a lot from it.

It's also interesting because the hero of the movie/cartoon is a complete scumbag in the comic who doesn't last especially long in the initial story. Meanwhile, the closest thing the comics have to a heroic protagonist is a comic relief side-antagonist in the movie/cartoon.

The crossovers with Batman and Lobo are also pretty fun. Pretty sure the Batman one is the last story in Mask continuity and that was about 15 years ago.

MagnesiumB
Apr 13, 2013

Schneider Heim posted:

I thought we had one semi-recently? Either way I'd definitely post there, I really enjoy dissecting superhero costume design and looking at redesigns and such.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Whoever creates the costume thread needs to put this in the op
Tim Gun on comics costume part 1 and 2

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Doing some cross posting but Image comics are throwing down the digital gauntlet and everyone in BSS should get this.

Even if just for like East of West or Saga or Fatale.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Waterhaul posted:

Doing some cross posting but Image comics are throwing down the digital gauntlet and everyone in BSS should get this.

Even if just for like East of West or Saga or Fatale.
Making them available in CBR/CBZ is a huge shot across the bow of everyone else.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
So I'm assuming that when May comes along, I should get the average tier and get Saga?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Solaris Knight posted:

So I'm assuming that when May comes along, I should get the average tier and get Saga?

Yes.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I've heard a ot of hype about these books, and this seems like a really insanely good bargain to get on the ground floor of them, and for the price of like, 2 issues of a DC or Marvel book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Solaris Knight posted:

I've heard a ot of hype about these books, and this seems like a really insanely good bargain to get on the ground floor of them, and for the price of like, 2 issues of a DC or Marvel book.

Every one of those books except Morning Glories is a home run.

• Locked thread