Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I want to buy a tablet or an e-reader. The main thing I'm looking to do is read, so I'm aware that I might just be looking for a basic kindle type thing. What are the main reasons why someone would want a tablet instead of just a normal e-reader? Games and movies? Can you put text/pdf files on a basic kindle from your computer, or would you need a proper tablet to do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

For me, mainly its because they're about $50 more than an ereader so why not - assuming you dont mind staring at an LCD. I was in the same position as you but decided a Nexus made more sense because I'm a geek. It basically comes down to: are you looking for a book/collection replacement or a companion device? You kinda already answered that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Daimo posted:

For me, mainly its because they're about $50 more than an ereader so why not - assuming you dont mind staring at an LCD. I was in the same position as you but decided a Nexus made more sense because I'm a geek. It basically comes down to: are you looking for a book/collection replacement or a companion device? You kinda already answered that.
What lovely tablet are you buying that is $100?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

You can get some great tablet deals at big lots man.

I can't recommend the Kindle Paperwhite enough for reading. Great battery life, you can read outside and no distractions from reading.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

You can get some great tablet deals at big lots man.

I can't recommend the Kindle Paperwhite enough for reading. Great battery life, you can read outside and no distractions from reading.

This sounds good. How easy is it to get things on it other than the kindle store? I download lots of article in pdf form, for example.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

You can email stuff to yourself, converted to kindle format or as original. There's also a program for at least Windows and Mac called send to kindle that will send files on your computer to your Kindle.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

What lovely ereader were you buying for $50 in 2012?

Anyway perhaps somebody can explain if they've got better, but pdfs were awful on my kindle keyboard. In fact that was the main attraction for a Nexus - I've since discovered .epub to be the most universal format and never looked back.

u fink u hard Percy fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 29, 2014

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Hand Knit posted:

This sounds good. How easy is it to get things on it other than the kindle store? I download lots of article in pdf form, for example.

PDFs are te one thing that kind of blow on kindle, so if that's a main usage you might also want to look at a nexus 7 (more versatile than the kindle fire, not much more expensive). Personally I found it worth it to have a kindle for reading books, a tablet for other stuff, but it depends on preference.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Daimo posted:

What lovely ereader were you buying for $50 in 2012?

Anyway perhaps somebody can explain if they've got better, but pdfs were awful on my kindle keyboard. In fact that was the main attraction for a Nexus - I've since discovered .epub to be the most universal format and never looked back.
Okay so to buy a tablet that is only $50 more than ereader, he just has to time travel to 2012. Good recommendation!

In any case, a basic Kindle is $50 (or $100 for a Paperwhite) right now and a Nexus 7 you *might* find for $180 if you wait for a sale. That's a pretty big difference in cost.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Hand Knit posted:

Calibre is a free program that does a decent job of converting between ereader formats, including transferring pdfs into kindle-friendly formats.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If you read mostly PDFs get a tablet. The Kindle Paperwhite is really great and amazing and I love it but I plan to get a tablet soon mostly to deal with loving PDFs.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

PDFs are te one thing that kind of blow on kindle, so if that's a main usage you might also want to look at a nexus 7 (more versatile than the kindle fire, not much more expensive). Personally I found it worth it to have a kindle for reading books, a tablet for other stuff, but it depends on preference.

Sheep-Goats posted:

If you read mostly PDFs get a tablet. The Kindle Paperwhite is really great and amazing and I love it but I plan to get a tablet soon mostly to deal with loving PDFs.

Okay. Thanks. Would having an Apple laptop provide any special reason to get an iPad over a Nexus 7? It looks like (current generation) iPads are quite a bit more expensive. Also, there wouldn't be any arcane reason why I would have trouble moving this device from North America to England, would there?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hand Knit posted:

Okay. Thanks. Would having an Apple laptop provide any special reason to get an iPad over a Nexus 7?
For PDFs I'd get a retina mini over a Nexus 7. The size and aspect ratio are much better suited to reading letter-size content, especially if you use GoodReader to crop out the borders. While a Nexus 7 is fine for ebooks, for the larger-area content you typically see with PDFs the Nexus 7 too narrow to use without zooming.

Plus, in my experience GoodReader is just a better PDF viewer than any of the Android options.

There's no particular reason to get an iPad if you already own a Mac. I guess if you were already a heavy user of iCloud services and didn't have a Google account, then an iPad would make more sense. Otherwise it doesn't really matter.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Hand Knit posted:

Okay. Thanks. Would having an Apple laptop provide any special reason to get an iPad over a Nexus 7? It looks like (current generation) iPads are quite a bit more expensive. Also, there wouldn't be any arcane reason why I would have trouble moving this device from North America to England, would there?

I pray to the dark lord Kromdor that the Nexus 10 receive a new version, is my opinion

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

You probably won't ever be able to get any bbc content from a device sold in another market.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Daimo posted:

You probably won't ever be able to get any bbc content from a device sold in another market.
Why do you say this? Are any tablets actually "region locked?" I know there are BBC apps for iPad and, if there is any region restriction, it's IP based and not dependent on where you bought the tablet. Even if there were UK-only apps you could just sign into the UK itunes store to get them. Is it different for Android tablets?

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

After checking I cant find any evidence, but a friend got an Ipad mini in Australia and it doesnt work for her. Maybe its her proxy setup or somehing.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Daimo posted:

After checking I cant find any evidence, but a friend got an Ipad mini in Australia and it doesnt work for her. Maybe its her proxy setup or somehing.

Well, where is she now? If she can't see any BBC apps, its very likely the app store she's signed into that is causing problems.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.
I'm looking for a tablet replacement for my NookColor which is getting a bit long in tooth. It's main uses will be as an e-reader, Waze (so a 10 inch screen is a must) and if the screen is good enough, watching series.

I was thinking of this one http://www.amazon.com/PIPO-M9-pro-3G-Bluetooth/dp/B00F9TFGFQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397736724&sr=8-1&keywords=PiPO+Max+M9+pro+3G but the off brand scares me and the reviews are all over the place and not very numerous. Plus the seller doesn't seem to be too clear on what the hell he is selling.

It needs to be 3G capable so I can put in my phone's SIM when I need something internet-related.

Any suggestions? I don't mind the brand too much as long as it works.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

I've been looking at getting a different tablet recently. I am primarily going to use it for media consumption, netflix, hulu+, twitch.tv, and web browsing. I really like the iPad Air, but the aspect ratio sucks for watching tv shows. It is especially bad for using the twitch app because everyone streams in 16:9. Does android have anything as polished and nice to use as the iPad out currently? Anything I should wait a month or so for?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

TerryLennox posted:

I'm looking for a tablet replacement for my NookColor which is getting a bit long in tooth. It's main uses will be as an e-reader, Waze (so a 10 inch screen is a must) and if the screen is good enough, watching series.

I was thinking of this one http://www.amazon.com/PIPO-M9-pro-3G-Bluetooth/dp/B00F9TFGFQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397736724&sr=8-1&keywords=PiPO+Max+M9+pro+3G but the off brand scares me and the reviews are all over the place and not very numerous. Plus the seller doesn't seem to be too clear on what the hell he is selling.

It needs to be 3G capable so I can put in my phone's SIM when I need something internet-related.

Any suggestions? I don't mind the brand too much as long as it works.
iPad Air

Syle187 posted:

I've been looking at getting a different tablet recently. I am primarily going to use it for media consumption, netflix, hulu+, twitch.tv, and web browsing. I really like the iPad Air, but the aspect ratio sucks for watching tv shows. It is especially bad for using the twitch app because everyone streams in 16:9. Does android have anything as polished and nice to use as the iPad out currently? Anything I should wait a month or so for?
I find 16:9 content is fine on a 4:3 device. The black bars don't bug me. YMMV I guess.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

randyest posted:

iPad Air

I find 16:9 content is fine on a 4:3 device. The black bars don't bug me. YMMV I guess.

Thanks for the input but I don't buy Apple. I should have put that on my original post.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Samsung tabpro series are the most polished android currently.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

TerryLennox posted:

Waze (so a 10 inch screen is a must)

Is Waze not just a GPS app? And you need a 10 inch screen for that? I run it on my ohone ...

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

wooger posted:

Is Waze not just a GPS app? And you need a 10 inch screen for that? I run it on my ohone ...

How can you drive and check Waze on a phone screen without crashing?

TerryLennox fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 6, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It reads directions to you. What are you checking while driving?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

TerryLennox posted:

How can you drive and check Waze on a phone screen without crashing?

I have a car mount. Works fine?

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

The same way I text whilst driving? Its not that hard. Haven't gotten in an accident yet.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

My girlfriend's mother wants a powerful tablet to replace the laptop in her life. She wants your average word/outlook/internet machine but she always wants to use photoshop(or whatever the tablet equivalent is). A connectable/detachable keyboard would also be nice and money doesn't seem like to be much of an issue.

Also, something easy to use/learn. It probably seems like she should just get a new laptop, but that's just me. I'm not too knowledgeable about these sort tablety of things.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yeah she wants an ultra book.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I was thinking the same, just need a random person on an internet message board make me be a man about it. Thanks.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

omg chael crash posted:

I was thinking the same, just need a random person on an internet message board make me be a man about it. Thanks.

Depending on the budget, Lenova Yoga 2 would be great. Make sure you get one with an SSD and not the 500gb hard drive model. Hit up a Best Buy to check one out.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

My wife has been using a Nexus 7 from around when they first came out, and I want to get her a new tablet for her birthday.

What's the current top runner for 10" Android tablets? It would be used for typical tablet internetting crap. I'd like to stay under $500 (less is better, natch).

me your dad fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 9, 2014

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So I've been spending a massive amount of times on trains lately for work, and my five year old Macbook Pro is finally giving up the ghost. I'm thinking about picking up a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Edition) as a replacement tablet, basically just for mobile surfing and watching videos, maybe the occasional game. I'd normally go for an iPad, since I have a fairly large amount of apps purchased through the App Store over the years, but I'm a little tired of Apple's on-rails environment.

I guess my question, since I'm a total newbie to tablets (and Android devices specifically), is: Would I be able to load up a 64GB microSD card with movies/music/TV, and is there a good, VLC Player equivalent that I'd be able to use on the Galaxy Note?

I'm looking on T-Mobile's site now looking at the tablet and their data plans... seems like it'd be around 35ish Euros per month for a 5GB LTE 150Mbit data plan (minimum 24 months), and 99 euro for the initial fees/cost (deposit?) on the device itself.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
I'm on the lookout for a best of breed Android tablet (although if the ipad is better I'm not precious) emails, Netflix and general media consumption. Probably with some games as well. Basically a whiling away long journeys device but without cellular data.

What's my best bet?

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Evfedu posted:

I'm on the lookout for a best of breed Android tablet (although if the ipad is better I'm not precious) emails, Netflix and general media consumption. Probably with some games as well. Basically a whiling away long journeys device but without cellular data.

What's my best bet?

A number of tablets will fit the bill here. A Nexus 7 would be totally fine for email/Netflix/media/games, and cheaper than most other tablets. However, unless there's a specific reason why you would want Android, you might have a better experience with an iPad or iPad Mini Retina. In my opinion, the iOS environment offers a greater number of high-quality, tablet-optimized apps and games. The Google Play store is catching up, but at the moment, Apple still dominates in terms of app selection.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I am a gross nerd.

I love DCS A10C and I found out about the https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bitshift.dcsvirtualcockpit App that would be perfect for me.
I am looking for the cheapest tablet that could run me this program in front of my ugly face when I am sperging over simulators.

I want it to be Capacitive Display and have somewhat decent resolution.
I do not think that the program I want demands too much, though. It requirements, among others, are 4.0 Android. I will hardly be using the tablet for anything else, but it is not like other uses hurt me.

My budget is 50 dollars, a little low, a little high of that.

I have been eyeying this. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_i=507846

Is this what I want or do I want something else?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

I am a gross nerd.

I love DCS A10C and I found out about the https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bitshift.dcsvirtualcockpit App that would be perfect for me.
I am looking for the cheapest tablet that could run me this program in front of my ugly face when I am sperging over simulators.

I want it to be Capacitive Display and have somewhat decent resolution.
I do not think that the program I want demands too much, though. It requirements, among others, are 4.0 Android. I will hardly be using the tablet for anything else, but it is not like other uses hurt me.

My budget is 50 dollars, a little low, a little high of that.

I have been eyeying this. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_i=507846

Is this what I want or do I want something else?

That's a lot of little buttons. Sure you don't want a 10 inch screen?

You essentially want a touchscreen game pad and anything else it does is bonus, like a webbrowser on a DS?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Pretty much. If a ten inch is a possibility for 50 dollars, then I might be interested in that.
I am a iPhone and iPad user, but I can't justify a dedicated iPad for this game with their prices. Unfortunately this means that I do not know anything about android nor their tablets. If the app requires 4.0, does it mean that any tablet is capable of running it that is running later than 4.0?

I am pretty much in unknown waters in this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
All I can tell you is that a $50 tablet is going to be a huge giant piece of poo poo. You'll claw your eyes out in frustration trying to do the most basic task on it.