Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Asbestos is really useful and also not really that dangerous to people who don't work in construction (or asbestos mining/manufacturing). Every day I go to work I'm around asbestos because it's good at it's job and not dangerous when properly contained and labeled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Most people are surprised how many uses of asbestos remain legal:

quote:

The manufacture, importation, processing and distribution in commerce of these products, as well as some others not listed, are not banned.
    Cement corrugated sheet
    Cement flat sheet
    Clothing
    Pipeline wrap
    Roofing felt
    Vinyl floor tile
    Cement shingle
    Millboard
    Cement pipe
    Automatic transmission components
    Clutch facings
    Friction materials
    Disk brake pads
    Drum brake linings
    Brake blocks
    Gaskets
    Non-roofing coatings
    Roof coatings

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

GWBBQ posted:

Send a chunk of drywall from any house or commercial building built in the last 10 years out for testing and I would bet that at least 1 in 5 come back positive for asbestos. Just because you can't use sheets of it for insulation or fireproofing anymore doesn't mean it's gone.

How much, though? Is it enough to become bad? Like asbestos is just a silicate-based rock that happens to turn into fibers that love to imbed themselves into flesh. That then the body doesn't know what to do because silicate doesn't react with poo poo and can't be broken down.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

DemeaninDemon posted:

How much, though? Is it enough to become bad? Like asbestos is just a silicate-based rock that happens to turn into fibers that love to imbed themselves into flesh. That then the body doesn't know what to do because silicate doesn't react with poo poo and can't be broken down.

The problem isn't just their inability to be broken down. Asbestos fibres are literally thin enough to interact with chromosomes in the cell and introduce mutations. They can be as thin as 250nm across.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Memento posted:

The problem isn't just their inability to be broken down. Asbestos fibres are literally thin enough to interact with chromosomes in the cell and introduce mutations. They can be as thin as 250nm across.

Man, chemistry is cool.

Dynemicin and compounds containing the same enediyne structure (the bit with the triple/double bonds that's sticking out) are potential antitumour drugs. They basically slide into DNA molecules then rip them in half when the bonds cyclise, killing the cells.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
There's actually symbols for compounds that will tear apart DNA?....Cool...
Any other spectacular diagrams that look like a slasher film?

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

GWBBQ posted:

Send a chunk of drywall from any house or commercial building built in the last 10 years out for testing and I would bet that at least 1 in 5 come back positive for asbestos. Just because you can't use sheets of it for insulation or fireproofing anymore doesn't mean it's gone.

Test any 9x9 floor tile and I guarantee that 9 out of 10 come back positive. Hell test most 12 inch tile and about 30 percent will come back positive. Granted the amount of asbestos is the tile is miniscule and you'd literally have to turn the tile to dust and scarface it to get any real kind of exposure but its still there.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Memento posted:

Woah that's pretty drat awesome (scary). I never knew how they caused mutations just that they did.

What's a harmful exposure amount, though? That's a big part of chemical safety along with my other posts here about concentration.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

WebDog posted:

Any other spectacular diagrams that look like a slasher film?

Marine toxins often look pretty cool.

Maitotoxin

Palytoxin

Those're some of the most toxic chemicals known to man, produced by coral/plankton type things. Apparently, the second one was aerosolised in sea spray and poisoned 200 people in Italy a few years ago.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

XMNN posted:

Marine toxins often look pretty cool.

Maitotoxin

Maitototoxin is awesome because it's a total miracle of natural synthesis. It has 98 goddamn stereocenters, for one.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Tetrodotoxin, by comparison, is incrdibly simple:

Fun fact I didn't realise, Blue Ringed Octopuses' main venom is tetrodotoxin.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Ignimbrite posted:

Tetrodotoxin, by comparison, is incrdibly simple:

Fun fact I didn't realise, Blue Ringed Octopuses' main venom is tetrodotoxin.

Isn't this the compound produced by threatened marine toads?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

DemeaninDemon posted:

Woah that's pretty drat awesome (scary). I never knew how they caused mutations just that they did.

What's a harmful exposure amount, though? That's a big part of chemical safety along with my other posts here about concentration.

There are mg/m^3 limits that are applied to exposure in the workplace etc. but whether a single fibre can cause sufficient damage to trigger a mutation, I'm not the guy to ask about it. I'm just a geologist who likes cool chemical stuffs.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

There's something metallic about the taste of this chicken :downs:

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

"It's so delicious, you'll suffer permanent brain damage!"

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Sonic Dude posted:

"It's so delicious, you'll suffer permanent brain damage!"

Mad as a hatter for this chicken.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
The gods themselves have sent their messenger to tell us this chicken is delicious.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Our chicken is a liquid at room temperature and pressure.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

DemeaninDemon posted:

0.1-0.5% or so, enough to be a concern if you work with it but less than the 1% that gets it legally defined as Asbestos-Containing Material.

fallin1 posted:

Test any 9x9 floor tile and I guarantee that 9 out of 10 come back positive. Hell test most 12 inch tile and about 30 percent will come back positive. Granted the amount of asbestos is the tile is miniscule and you'd literally have to turn the tile to dust and scarface it to get any real kind of exposure but its still there.
I'm not talking about trace amounts, I'm talking about enough to pose a health hazard if you work with it regularly. I cut and drill drywall regularly, I don't do the same with tile.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Yeah that's definitely enough to be concerned with if you're the one messing with the drywall day in and day out. Pretty sure it's impossible to do anything with drywall without getting dust all over. Sadly you're going to see a lot of that sort of thing. So long as it's low enough to round down to zero it's low enough to be considered zero. See also non-stick food spray (Pam) and their claim of zero calories.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Memento posted:

WebDog posted:

DemeaninDemon posted:

Yeah, when I first learned exactly how Asbestos causes cancer (ironically due to some TV lawyer commercials about Mesothelioma) it shocked the hell out of me. Almost everything else is carcinogenic because of some sort of chemical reaction, but Asbestos causes cancer by literally being small enough to physically damage your DNA.:wtc: That is still insane to me, and it means that once the fibers are in you, they're going to cause damage for the rest of your life, and it can't be stopped.

I also didn't know that chemistry had symbols for substances like that, although it makes sense.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

fade5 posted:

I also didn't know that chemistry had symbols for substances like that, although it makes sense.

The diagram doesn't specify it, at least not in the sense of any of the symbols used there meaning "this is hazardous" or anything like that. The part of that dynemicin model above that's sort of jutting out weirdly is a ring of carbon molecules coming out of the plane the rest of the molecule is drawn in; the solid wedges indicate a bond pointing "toward" you, and the dashed wedges indicate a bond pointing "away" from you, from the perspective the molecule is drawn in. The long double or triple lines indicate, appropriately enough, double and triple bonds.

Edit: this was the model I was referring to:

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.

KozmoNaut posted:

Our chicken is a very dense fluid.

Limited time Offer: Red Chicken

Glasgow Kiss has a new favorite as of 03:34 on Apr 30, 2014

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Isn't this the compound produced by threatened marine toads?

Possibly but it's best known for being the poison in puffer fish / fugu.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Ignimbrite posted:

Possibly but it's best known for being the poison in puffer fish / fugu.

So they're probably not identical but in the same family. Gotcha.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Suicide Sam E. posted:

So they're probably not identical but in the same family. Gotcha.

No, you were right, it is found in the toad genus Atelopus.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I think it's one of those toxins animals get from bacteria/their diet rather than synthesising themselves, like poison dart frog's poison. That might explain it being in a bunch of different animals.

Batrachotoxin, a toxic alkaloid found in poison dart frogs.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Here's Anatoxin-A, a very simple, very toxic compound made by some cyanobacteria.

It also has the most metal alternate name ever: Very Fast Death Factor :black101:

EdibleBodyParts
Dec 27, 2005
Body Parts...that are edible

KozmoNaut posted:

I was actually just there and laughing about the disclaimer in the menu that "Sauce contains no mercury."

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

GWBBQ posted:

0.1-0.5% or so, enough to be a concern if you work with it but less than the 1% that gets it legally defined as Asbestos-Containing Material.

I'm not talking about trace amounts, I'm talking about enough to pose a health hazard if you work with it regularly. I cut and drill drywall regularly, I don't do the same with tile.

If what you are working with drywall that contains that much asbestos and it has been tested for and come back positive as asbestos containing material you should be attempting to wet it and have some sort of vacuum suction applied while you're drilling/cutting. A good quality dust particle respirator always helps too.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

EdibleBodyParts posted:

I was actually just there and laughing about the disclaimer in the menu that "Sauce contains no mercury."

Please tell me you took a photo of this. I need it for reasons.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Tunicate posted:

Thomas Midgley Jr, yeah. Known as the man who had the single greatest impact upon Earth's environment.

He actually died before anyone realized all the negative side-effects of his inventions. He caught polio in 1940, and ended up nearly paralyzed. Fortunately, a genius of his caliber was able to device a series of motorized pulleys and cords to assist himself in rising up in bed and turning over.

Naturally, it ended up strangling him.

I know this is a little late, but I thought I'd point this out:

"On October 30, 1924, Midgley participated in a press conference to demonstrate the apparent safety of TEL. In this demonstration, he poured TEL over his hands, then placed a bottle of the chemical under his nose and inhaled its vapor for sixty seconds, declaring that he could do this every day without succumbing to any problems whatsoever"

Shockingly enough, "Midgley sought treatment for lead poisoning in Europe a few months after his demonstration at the press conference." Dude had a truly uncanny sense for bad ideas.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Memento posted:

Please tell me you took a photo of this. I need it for reasons.
:( I was just there for lunch and took a picture, but didn't read down that far. It says it on their website http://www.buffalowildwings.com/en/saucelab/

If I'm there next week I'll grab a picture for you.

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011
Because I was curious I decided to look it up and yup.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
You've lost a customer

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

GopherFlats posted:

You know it's a high quality nutritional sustenance provision when it's just referred to as
"Product". I know they probably just chose that word due to legalese, but it's such a turnoff

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
When they start referring to it as "substance", that's when you should really be concerned.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GopherFlats posted:

It’s capitalised, so we know that it doesn’t contain a certain planet or Roman god, but the element is still a possibility.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Platystemon posted:

It’s capitalised, so we know that it doesn’t contain a certain planet or Roman god, but the element is still a possibility.

Good catch. I would have totally eaten that silvery chicken with my false sense of reassurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

Platystemon posted:

More like a certainty! Mercury is hardly a super rare element, and while uncommon it's still ubiquitous in the environment in small amounts. In the soil in which crops are growing, in the crops themselves, in the chicken who are fed the grain.

Not enough to cause a problem (probably), but it's inevitable there will be atoms of mercury in every food.

As for mercury in soil, I remember hearing about areas of Mexico where the soil is so thick with mercury you can pick up a handful and squeeze it, and mercury drips out. Mine tailings from gold mining over hundreds of years. (I probably read about it in this thread!) Considering the lax environmental policies of the United States (and, honestly, almost every country in the world), there will be plenty of foods with decent amounts of mercury in them. Again, it probably won't be enough to cause your brain to melt, don't stop eating just because you're worried about mercury, malnutrition makes your brain melt even faster.

IronClaymore has a new favorite as of 03:45 on May 2, 2014