Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
The footman's sword (drops off of hollow infantry) has a thrust for both its one-handed and two-handed strong attacks. I suspect it's probably a garbage weapon unless you really need something with low minimum requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Studio posted:

I'm going for Greataxe, I've actually never used an Axe before, but I've done most of the dual wield/punchy strats.

Miiight have to fidget with Twinblades though.

The moveset they give you for greataxes (along with most great hammers) seems rather limited and short range. Though, if they were going more for the feeling of a brutal executioner's tool than an actual weapon designed for combat, they probably succeeded.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Why ENB Is Awful:

Not only does it look lovely, it makes the Amana mage's projectiles... invisible and silent.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Yeah I'm not touching beta fixes just yet

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The Cartographer disappeared after I came back from the Castle. I kinda need his helmet. Did he go somewhere? Is he bugged?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

SynthOrange posted:

Playing as a sorcerer, do I throw everything into int aside for some bare minimum to wear a shield and have a backup weapon?

Don't forget ATT, which gives you spell slots and FTH which is useful for hexes and the occasional miracle (giant lightning bolt). You should probably have at least 20-22 FTH for reasons.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
loving gently caress these ruin sentinels are insane and i've already wasted all my consumables and effigies and what do you mean Lost Bastille is not the correct place to go straight after forest of lost giants

this loving game

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Mad

MAD ABOUT VIDEOGAMES

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Lost Sinner has been severely nerfed from consoles. She is much slower now and its so easy to dodge the attacks. Doesn't seem as aggressive either. I was helping people out and she had her attention on me. I could easily dodge an attack, cast a great resonant soul and she'd just stand there. I remember on the console she'd be jumping around like a maniac! Oh well, once I bring Lucatiel in there it'll be fun. I am going to try hitting up the gargoyles which I never fought for the key to make the Sinner fight even easier.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Bastille can suck a dick in hell, that place is poo poo.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

^^^ Just soloed Ruin Sentinels underleveled without stunlock :smug:. Real talk Ruin Sentinels are much easier if you remember the dash attack exists.

Mazed posted:

The moveset they give you for greataxes (along with most great hammers) seems rather limited and short range. Though, if they were going more for the feeling of a brutal executioner's tool than an actual weapon designed for combat, they probably succeeded.

It's blowing my mind how I can still control the turn while locked on

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Studio posted:

YO I'M STARTING A NEW CHARACTER.

WHAT WEAPON SHOULD I USE (Nothing that involves me going to Drangleic or beyond. That poo poo is too far)

Steal that fuckers fake moonlight sword and murder everyone with it while screaming like the sissy you are mate :wink:

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Illegal Username posted:

loving gently caress these ruin sentinels are insane and i've already wasted all my consumables and effigies and what do you mean Lost Bastille is not the correct place to go straight after forest of lost giants

this loving game

Do you have a white soapstone? If so, use it near the door before the boss. You'll get summoned and then you can kill the boss enough times that you learn how to kill it. Or you can just farm it for souls.

Also, use a blunt weapon if you have one.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Kild posted:

The Cartographer disappeared after I came back from the Castle. I kinda need his helmet. Did he go somewhere? Is he bugged?

I found him.
He's back where he originally was talking about how he'll return soon.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Kild posted:

I found him.
He's back where he originally was talking about how he'll return soon.

how is your armor transparent like that? is that a pickup item?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Al-Saqr posted:

It's a special set for neato dudes.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Al-Saqr posted:

Once you spend 16k at the armorer in Majula, go talk to him while hollow and with 0 souls

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

jonjonaug posted:

You don't have to kill any of them, although to do this you'll need to clear the game through the final boss first.

Dang. Well I'll figure it out when I get there, sounds like I have to kill him to get to Felkin's contract if I want to use Forbidden Sun before NG+. If I see him maybe I'll kill him just to get some sentinels after me.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

It's given to you by the armour merchant in Majula after a series of events.

It's a cool armour set, the transparent set increases your total equip load. There is also a visable set.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Orv posted:

Why ENB Is Awful:

Not only does it look lovely, it makes the Amana mage's projectiles... invisible and silent.

Man, I can't believe they removed the old lighting system!

I always wanted to play literally the entire game in Tomb of the Giants unable to see poo poo.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Here's how they designed Aldias Keep:

"Haha oh man, wouldn't it be hilarious if the player had to fight a horde of the most annoying enemies in the game at once? That just screams classic Dark Souls doesn't it??? :downs:"

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 29, 2014

bonerstorm
Jul 26, 2009

:|

Ciaphas posted:

Are the respec thingies at all common later? 24 faith to use the lightning spear miracle when I've only got ten at level 50 is gonna take a while :(

In case no one has answered, Cale the Cartographer (found in the cave outside the area down the ladder at the cardinal tower bonfire, he's outside when you go up that big branch/root at the top of the cave, exhaust his dialogue. Alternatively, if you're an idiot like me and you killed him, you must visit his location later and offer souls to revive the ghost of him from his tombstone (amazing DS2 feature).

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Darox posted:

poo poo, nobody told me Dex weapons were useless. Guess this Blacksteel Katana with pure dex scaling that has an amazing moveset for PvP and fantastic damage is garbage. Seriously, I just use it 2h (with a pyromancy hand in the offhand to buff it) and it wrecks everything. Most enemies I can kill in a single combo, the damage is great.

Blood Brotherhood duels finally seem to be possible, though I don't know if that's my SL reaching a certain point or more people finally reaching this area.

E: Also my favourite thing about PvP is when some dork tries to use a shield. It's so satisfying just hitting him until he staggers and getting a free critical hit.

Dex weapons aren't useless, but scaling (of any type) mostly seems to be. Dex builds are "bad" because investing in any stat beyond meeting requirements is fairly pointless, except for maybe a 1-shot GRS gimmick build.

Minorkos posted:

Two-handing a Blacksteel katana is essentially pointless. You aren't adding any damage to it since the only thing 2-handing does is double your strength, and the weapon does not scale from strength.

AR and actual damage are only tangentially related to eachother. Most weapons have two-handed movesets that deplete stamina faster but do higher damage, regardless of AR. The stamina cost aren't as high as with power stance, though you'll do less damage (your damage output won't suffer as much against targets with high defense, however) but you won't be as committed to each attack and depending on the weapon two-handing might unlock some decent poke attacks.

verybad fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 29, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Here's how they designed Aldias Keep:

"Haha oh man, wouldn't it be hilarious if the player had to fight a horde of the most annoying enemies in the game at once? That just screams classic Dark Souls doesn't it??? :downs:"

I don't remember a horde of anything in Aldia's keep besides the rats at the beginning. I also don't remember anything actually annoying there. :confused:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Illegal Username posted:

this loving game

It isn't? :psyboom:

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
Just had a duel against a guy with seemingly mid-weight armor who took 700 damage from a 2h murakumo guard break crit 3 times in a row. Wasn't wearing the jester's armor, didn't have any buffs on him and was taking 100 damage a swing from 2h battle axe r1's. Was he cheating or is there some ultra-powerful set of seemingly thin looking armor that gives you like 70% damage reduction?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

No one should be wasting effigies, find the Ring of Life Protection and/or Ring of Soul Protection

those are basically insurance rings, you have to pay repair costs of 3000 for Life if you die and 6000 for Soul but you keep the rest of it and stay human. Or just coop with people to get human again

there's 3 Life rings and 2 souls, if you bonfire ascetic Shade Forest apparently you can get more Life rings

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Kanos posted:

I don't remember a horde of anything in Aldia's keep besides the rats at the beginning. I also don't remember anything actually annoying there. :confused:

It's filled with Ogres. Ogres are the worst.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Kanos posted:

Cyclops hallway.

They wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the retarded attack ghosting - They have way more reach than they should judging by the model.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

kazil posted:

It's filled with Ogres. Ogres are the worst.

There's like three of them and you fight them one at a time.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Here's how they designed Dark Souls 2:

Fixed it for you. :downs:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I've just spent an hour dropping my jolly yellow sign in front of Baneful Queen and trying to teach people who summon me how to drain the poison. Not much of a success rate so far, but one dude managed to summon another sunbro, eventually followed us when we were both spamming the "come over here" emote, and managed to understand the windmill thing after a good minute of the two of us just igniting our torches repeatedly at the nearby bonfire and running around in circles near the path to it. :3:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Xoidanor posted:

It isn't? :psyboom:

It's a place you can go and doing so is fine. But there are other options, since the game is pretty unlinear for the first half.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I've just spent an hour dropping my jolly yellow sign in front of Baneful Queen and trying to teach people who summon me how to drain the poison. Not much of a success rate so far, but one dude managed to summon another sunbro, eventually followed us when we were both spamming the "come over here" emote, and managed to understand the windmill thing after a good minute of the two of us just igniting our torches repeatedly at the nearby bonfire and running around in circles near the path to it. :3:

I can't believe this worked considering I had to guide someone through it on ps3 and that was through messages

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

No one should be wasting effigies, find the Ring of Life Protection and/or Ring of Soul Protection

those are basically insurance rings, you have to pay repair costs of 3000 for Life if you die and 6000 for Soul but you keep the rest of it and stay human. Or just coop with people to get human again

there's 3 Life rings and 2 souls, if you bonfire ascetic Shade Forest apparently you can get more Life rings

I barely have enough room to wear one ring let alone 2 that do nothing but offer insurance if I die.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Whoever was bitching about dex weapons being bad needs to go check out rapiers for PvP. Those fuckers can stunlock like nobody's business.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I do like leading newbies to the safe spot in Nash's boss fight. Frantic COME HERE emotes as they run around wondering what the gently caress to do. :allears:

Also, I've shot way past a million soul memory due to the amount of co-op I've done and only have two Greater Souls. I should get my arse in gear, or just respect to a full 20 Mundane build. :getin:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

SuicideSnowman posted:

I barely have enough room to wear one ring let alone 2 that do nothing but offer insurance if I die.

Wear one, don't wear two. If you never die than dont wear them. If you die but dont have souls dont wear them. Dont come crying to me when you lose 100k souls because you got invaded after falling down a chasm

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
:stare: The Black Knight Halberd has crazy attack, it does more damage at base than my zweihander at +8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

Whoever was bitching about dex weapons being bad needs to go check out rapiers for PvP. Those fuckers can stunlock like nobody's business.

They're a good offhand for fighting people in light armor and poking after people trying to roll away, but not really useful as a primary weapon since most people won't get stunned out of their attack animation or take more than 100 damage from their hits.