Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Population numbers on the ethnic breakdown of the Ottoman empire right before world war 1 is a... controversial issue. Some people think that the Ottoman's under-counted non Turks and several French and British ethnographers and geographers complained about this. The Armenian Patriarchate also had very different numbers from the Turkish government, but they were probably based on shakier foundations than Istanbul's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

icantfindaname posted:

:confused:

I said nothing about the treaty being good? Although, as an Armenian myself, anecdotally I can tell you that Armenians are a whole lot more positive about Russia than they are the Turks, and from what I hear Armenia is about the most pro-Russian country in the former USSR. Stalin apparently was comparatively good to them and is almost as popular there as he is in Russia itself.

I wasn't saying he wouldn't treat the Armenians well, I was talking about everyone else who would have been affected in a enforced treaty of Sevres.

khwarezm posted:

Population numbers on the ethnic breakdown of the Ottoman empire right before world war 1 is a... controversial issue. Some people think that the Ottoman's under-counted non Turks and several French and British ethnographers and geographers complained about this. The Armenian Patriarchate also had very different numbers from the Turkish government, but they were probably based on shakier foundations than Istanbul's.
Your right, and even with the Patriarchates numbers the Treaty of Sevres's awards to Armenia shows that they were being a awarded a place that looks alot like certain parts of the Balkans in the 1870s.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 28, 2014

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Here's a WW1 propaganda map for China

Poor Germany just gets a sausage around Shandong.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Is that a pug? I am a fan of this map.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Wow it's by the SCMP. I read that newspaper every day.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

What's with all the WW1 animal maps?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

I was looking for maps of Roman Catholic concentrations in the US in GIS, and came upon this map from an ancestry.com page instead:

I don't remember Paris being in Normandy either.

If you make a map you should get the actual map stuff right. I don't know why you would bother otherwise.

e: Burgandy

Emanuel Collective posted:

you call that Greater Turkey?

It's very important that we have access to the Arctic Sea

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Apr 29, 2014

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Grand Fromage posted:

What's with all the WW1 animal maps?

I think they were the lolcats of the early 20th century.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Phlegmish posted:

You joke now but wait until the arctic becomes ice free

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

V for Vegas posted:

Here's a WW1 propaganda map for China

Poor Germany just gets a sausage around Shandong.

I liked how they were trying to draw an English Bulldog and drew a pug instead.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Monkey Man posted:

I liked how they were trying to draw an English Bulldog and drew a pug instead.

Pugs are apparently Chinese dogs although I've never seen China portrayed as one before (I guess pandas were new and dragons sort of went against the point).

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Phlegmish posted:

Eh, The Yakuts are a plurality in the Sakha Republic so it makes as much sense as anything else on that map.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

computer parts posted:

Pugs are apparently Chinese dogs although I've never seen China portrayed as one before (I guess pandas were new and dragons sort of went against the point).

Pugs were in Europe so long that they were bred much differently than the original Chinese pugs- check out these pictures of 18th and early 19th-century pugs that look barely anything like the modern breed. Also, note how that pug is wearing a monocle and sitting right on Hong Kong- I'm pretty sure it's supposed to represent Britain.

(As you can guess from my avatar, I really love pugs)

Semi-related:

The Monkey Man fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 29, 2014

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I am not sure I get where Shiba Inu are on that map.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I think the inclusion of the Shiba Inu just indicates the common breed the others are all related to, with the others being region-specific.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

kalstrams posted:

I am not sure I get where Shiba Inu are on that map.

Dokdo/Takeshima island obviously.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Disco Infiva posted:

Dokdo/Takeshima island obviously.

Now we know the real reason everyone claims them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've heard they're really awful nippy bitey barky dogs.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Baronjutter posted:

They are dogs that think they are cats.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bloodnose posted:

Wow it's by the SCMP. I read that newspaper every day.

It's by Tse Tsan Tai, one of the co-founders of the SCMP no less!

I was in HK last week (where I originally saw this map at the HK museum) and sat down and read an edition of the SCMP - it's basically just 'crazy poo poo that happens in Hong Kong and the mainland', it was hilarious.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

The Monkey Man posted:

Also, note how that pug is wearing a monocle and sitting right on Hong Kong- I'm pretty sure it's supposed to represent Britain.

1. This is an excellent sentence.

2. It could just be a one-eyed pug which is a common thing especially back then when veterinary medicine wasn't as good. If they're taking jabs at China, "half-blind" isn't a bad one.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Javid posted:

2. It could just be a one-eyed pug which is a common thing especially back then when veterinary medicine wasn't as good. If they're taking jabs at China, "half-blind" isn't a bad one.

The pug is wearing the Open Door Policy tag, as well as the Integrity motto. It clearly represents western powers because these concepts were the main approaches of foreign nations to implementing the regime stemming from the Unequal treaties.

It's nevertheless confusing why it should represent Britain specifically. Open Doors were inspired by the British policy, but the concept was ultimately coined by Americans; the Americans were also the main proponents of protecting the territorial integrity of China, in order to protect her from less "liberal" forms of imperialism than those that were already in place.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

steinrokkan posted:

The pug is wearing the Open Door Policy tag, as well as the Integrity motto. It clearly represents western powers because these concepts were the main approaches of foreign nations to implementing the regime stemming from the Unequal treaties.

It's nevertheless confusing why it should represent Britain specifically. Open Doors were inspired by the British policy, but the concept was ultimately coined by Americans; the Americans were also the main proponents of protecting the territorial integrity of China, in order to protect her from less "liberal" forms of imperialism than those that were already in place.

Pretty much. America campaigned for "Open Doors" because they knew they couldn't project power like Britain and if they cloaked things in terms of laissez faire free trade that they could get the other Europeans on board. Then America's advantage in its independent merchant marine would far outweigh its inability to create its own colonies.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

steinrokkan posted:

Each animal covers the area the foreign nation had a Zone of Influence in. Britain is the pug, no question.

RememberYourMantra
Dec 5, 2005

Don't Have Negative Thoughts

Pillbug

Baronjutter posted:

I had one about a decade ago and he would bark at anything that moved that wasn't part of his regular zone of comfort. He also shed more than any dog I've ever seen. Also, not terribly smart.

He was very loyal and energetic though. Very fun to bring on a jog if he wouldn't get distracted by other critters.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
politically-loaded dogs

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

:911:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Wait, why are there two colors for <3 dogs per people, orange and white?

Edit: I've long wondered why Muslims rarely own dogs. Are they unclean in the Koran or something like that?

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 30, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Czechs love puppies.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Edit: I've long wondered why Muslims rarely own dogs. Are they unclean in the Koran or something like that?
It is very weird despite the fact that Qur'an does not condemn dogs on it's own.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Torrannor posted:

Wait, why are there two colors for <3 dogs per people, orange and white?
Sloppy map. One of the two bottom intervals is also wrong, since it omits 3 dogs/100 people.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

kalstrams posted:

It is very weird despite the fact that Qur'an does not condemn dogs on it's own.

You can keep a dog but not inside your home, the front/backyard is ok generally. People who live in apartments keep their dogs in the balcony :lol: which they should never do, becuase holy gently caress.

Dogs are used in hunting, i dont recall whats the ruling but you have to feed it part of what you hunt. Due to the fact they are considered najis (impure) i have seen cheetahs being used for hunting instead, they are apparently the closest thing to dogs as an alternative.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I think I'd like to see a cat map to compare it to.

Edit: Haha

Lycus fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Apr 30, 2014

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lycus posted:

I think I'd like to see a cat map to compare it to.

Edit: Haha

Surprisingly it's actually really hard to find.

Here's a US map of metro areas:

note Spokane is pet loving in general.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

computer parts posted:

Surprisingly it's actually really hard to find.

Here's a US map of metro areas:

note Spokane is pet loving in general.
What I find amusing is a seeming division i.e. 'North - cats' and 'South - Dogs' with Spokane being the exclusion.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

kalstrams posted:

What I find amusing is a seeming division i.e. 'North - cats' and 'South - Dogs' with Spokane being the exclusion.

I would think the divide is based on weather and not culture. Cats don't need to be walked during the winter.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Old James posted:

I would think the divide is based on weather and not culture. Cats don't need to be walked during the winter.
That is division by laziness, and it should be reverse then, in my opinion. I have difficulties to image person's thoughts going route following route: "Well, I love dogs, but in winter the snow may fall, so I'd better get a cat."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Here is a BBC map about Taliban areas, and unlike most of these maps it covers both Afghanistan and Pakistan.

They seem to have almost equal territory on either side of the border. This is because Taliban roughly equals the Pashtun people in many cases; here's a map of their distribution from wikipedia:

The border is called the Durand Line, and was drawn in the late 19th century largely as part of Great Game politics between the British and Russian Empires. Russia was expanding southwards, Britian wanted to protect India, so Afghanistan was drawn up as a sort of buffer state. Pakistan inherited the border, and Afghanistan still doesn't recognize it.

The border remained utterly porous, even during the wars of the 80s, 90s and 00s when various military forces sought to control access to the border. Since its basically the same people living on either side, people who for centuries and longer have had little respect for outside rulers, it seems set to remain a disputed place for a long time.