Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

TheGoatFeeder posted:

Was he going anyway? Surely Sterling, Ox and Lallana were all ahead of him?

He keeps getting picked because he's had one good game in his career, and it happened to be an important one for England.

I have no idea why he was even in that squad, he has never looked good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Jose posted:

Townsend has picked up an injury and might not go to the world cup

Please don't be andy please don't be andy

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Andros Townsend is poo poo poo poo poo poo and his career will be worse than David Bentley

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Gorn Myson posted:

That, and he spunked 30m Euros on Coentrao.

Hard to get too worked up over that when Ancelotti spent 40m on Illarramendi.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Smeef posted:

Hard to get too worked up over that when Ancelotti spent 40m on Illarramendi.
It was 32.2m euros, so not that much more expensive than Coentrao. But in all honesty, I don't know how much power Ancelotti had over that transfer given how club hierarchies are slightly different in Spain than to over here, but Coentrao was absolutely a Mourinho signing.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Gorn Myson posted:

It was 32.2m euros, so not that much more expensive than Coentrao. But in all honesty, I don't know how much power Ancelotti had over that transfer given how club hierarchies are slightly different in Spain than to over here, but Coentrao was absolutely a Mourinho signing.

Illarra was an Ancelotti signing. Bale wasn't.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
An article on possession

This might belong in the bad posts thread as it veers into DZ SiBoT territory, but I thought the bit at the end about Mourinho's philosophy was interesting enough:

quote:

According to the Spanish journalist Diego Torres in a recent book, Jose Mourinho’s attitude to possession at Real Madrid was summed up thus.

1. The game is won by the team who commits fewer errors.
2. Football favours whoever provokes more errors in the opposition.
3. Away from home, instead of trying to be superior to the opposition, it's better to encourage their mistakes.
4. Whoever has the ball is more likely to make a mistake.
5. Whoever renounces possession reduces the possibility of making a mistake.
6. Whoever has the ball has fear.
7. Whoever does not have it is therefore stronger.

This is tiki-taka’s direct nemesis: not necessarily anti-football, but definitely anti-something. The data from Australia proves that below a certain skill threshold, football is primarily a game of mistakes. Mourinho’s genius is in enacting his theory at the very highest level of football.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

peanut- posted:

An article on possession

This might belong in the bad posts thread as it veers into DZ SiBoT territory, but I thought the bit at the end about Mourinho's philosophy was interesting enough:

I didn't realise we needed books and articles to explain what can be summed up as "counter-attacking football".

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Burqa King posted:

Andy Townsend is Irish. 100% Irish. He's every bit as Irish as "The Craic"

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

peanut- posted:

An article on possession

"Mistakes?? In football??? Genius!"

Yeah Mourinho is known for the whole 0-0 is perfect idea. It is not possible to score anything but 30 yard first touch wondergoals without some form of basic error, either being in the wrong position or allowing an overload.

It's hardly genius to work this out and act on it. Genius would be making tiki-taka work in pub league.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Spangly A posted:

"Mistakes?? In football??? Genius!"

Yeah Mourinho is known for the whole 0-0 is perfect idea. It is not possible to score anything but 30 yard first touch wondergoals without some form of basic error, either being in the wrong position or allowing an overload.

It's hardly genius to work this out and act on it. Genius would be making tiki-taka work in pub league.

Does the A League count as a pub league because if so Mike Mulvey is a genius!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The A league is the kickabout in the pub car park after spending all of Sunday boozing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The A league owns purely because of the bloopers video that gets released after each season

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Jose posted:

The A league owns purely because of the bloopers video that gets released after each season

This, love these vids

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jose posted:

They're one of my favourite things from the summmer.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Jose posted:

Good news then because the grand final is this weekend and then the guy who makes them will be onto it.

There have been some fantastic nut shots this season.

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

Burqa King posted:

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Michiel Jongsma ‏@JongsmaJongsma 17m

Ajax have admitted Tottenham Hotspur have made a formal approach for Frank de Boer. (via @Niiwino & @FOXSportsnl)

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I hope de Boer accepts the offer, and takes Bergkamp with him.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Sherwood is going to have a meltdown.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Skinty McEdger posted:

Sherwood is going to have a meltdown.

Looking forward to Sherwood throwing players under the bus or whatever insane poo poo he'll say about modern British football.

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

who would've thought making al murray the pub landlord spurs manager would be a bad idea?

(or whatever pub comedian sherwood resembles)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Anyone seen talking to Eriksen or Vertonghen will be training with the reserves

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

emjayo posted:

who would've thought making al murray the pub landlord spurs manager would be a bad idea?

(or whatever pub comedian sherwood resembles)

Al Murray is a two-layered character; he is satirising BRITAIN BRITISH WORR sorts while also appealing to them.

Tim Sherwood does not have any layers. He got angry and threw them to the touchline.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Shitshow posted:

Michiel Jongsma ‏@JongsmaJongsma 17m

Ajax have admitted Tottenham Hotspur have made a formal approach for Frank de Boer. (via @Niiwino & @FOXSportsnl)

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Al Murray is a good lad who did a good degree at a good college at a good university, imo.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

quote:

“Every press conference I do, it’s about this manager or that who’s coming, whether it be Van Gaal or Hoddle or whoever,” Sherwood said. “Some of these managers are actually touting themselves for my job and that doesn’t sit well with me. It has been hard. I’ve had to keep my discipline and dignity and pride and just get on with the job.”

The qualities I most associate with Tim.

He's literally going to kill half the first team squad.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Chris de Sperg posted:

Al Murray is a good lad who did a good degree at a good college at a good university, imo.

Did he get a trophy for that?

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Raffles posted:

Did he get a trophy for that?
He probably won drama cuppers or something idk

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

mods rename me cuppers british WORRR sorts

Ming the Merciless
Aug 10, 2005
You're a beard with an idiot hanging off of it.

Gorn Myson posted:

I hope de Boer accepts the offer, and takes Bergkamp with him.

I'm melting down at the possibility of Bergkamp coaching at Spurs. Vieira becoming an ambassador at City was bad enough.

Xbox One
Apr 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 500 days!
Why am I getting ads for Chilk on the top banner? Please respond.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Ming the Merciless posted:

I'm melting down at the possibility of Bergkamp coaching at Spurs. Vieira becoming an ambassador at City was bad enough.

There is no chance this happens

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I don't get why Spurs are in such a rush to get rid of Sherwood, the dude is definitely crazy but Spurs haven't been too terrible under him, their home form especially has been real good and don't they have something like 15 points from the last 6 matches? That doesn't seem like a manager that desperately needs replacing to me.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Xbox One posted:

Why am I getting ads for Chilk on the top banner? Please respond.

Did you mean to post this in QCS, because it has gently caress all to do with the PL

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Stinky Pit posted:

I don't get why Spurs are in such a rush to get rid of Sherwood, the dude is definitely crazy but Spurs haven't been too terrible under him, their home form especially has been real good and don't they have something like 15 points from the last 6 matches? That doesn't seem like a manager that desperately needs replacing to me.

This but United and Giggs. They've taken maximum points so far, problem solved forever.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Stinky Pit posted:

It's hard to get into the Champions League if you don't have a world-class front line to bail out your clown car defense.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Stinky Pit posted:

You obviously haven't seen the actual matches.

Xbox One
Apr 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 500 days!

Baldo di Gregorio posted:

Did you mean to post this in QCS, because it has gently caress all to do with the PL

Jozy drinks a ton of chocolate milk, so I would argue it does in a roundabout way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

MrBling posted:

You obviously haven't seen the actual matches.

Is that seriously what people are mad about? The football hasn't been beautiful enough?

He's gotten them 33 out of 60 points possible in the league so far during the same time period both Arsenal and Everton have managed 36 out of 60. Its a perfectly reasonable record for a team like Spurs. It's not his fault that all those expensive players turned out to be poo poo and couldn't match the teams ambitions.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 29, 2014

• Locked thread