Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Bloodmobile posted:

Just had a duel against a guy with seemingly mid-weight armor who took 700 damage from a 2h murakumo guard break crit 3 times in a row. Wasn't wearing the jester's armor, didn't have any buffs on him and was taking 100 damage a swing from 2h battle axe r1's. Was he cheating or is there some ultra-powerful set of seemingly thin looking armor that gives you like 70% damage reduction?

Probably just soul memory loving with you. I got matched against a guy with SL 250 while I'm at 70.

If you drop a big chunk of souls in a place where you'll likely die again, just suicide and forget about them. Your soul memory increments each time you pick your old stain back up so I gained over 1M SM doing nothing but smelter boss runs and a couple invasions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ravenfood posted:

Whoever was bitching about dex weapons being bad needs to go check out rapiers for PvP. Those fuckers can stunlock like nobody's business.

Seriously. A single prick and you're dead. What I can't figure out is the guard break's timing for ripostes. Do I swing when they're finished reeling?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

gently caress I just realized what Iron Keep reminded me of

I was thinking something slightly older...

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I used Dex weapons in my first playthrough and thought they were absolutely fine. I even used them in pvp and won the vast majority of my matches with them, hell I've doing NG+ with the same character using a PVP weapon and doing amazingly. I really don't see how they are any worse than strength weapons.

Also, I think the ENB looks good. It doesn't look nearly as dark for me as it does in that one screenshot I've seen posted here.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Man I wanted to be a sunbro but I forgot one crucial thing: people die a LOT to bosses. I figured I'd be safe enough with Old Iron King, but nope. Maybe I should go back to the earthen peak boss, though I doubt anyones doing it at my soul memory

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Domattee posted:

Probably just soul memory loving with you. I got matched against a guy with SL 250 while I'm at 70.

If you drop a big chunk of souls in a place where you'll likely die again, just suicide and forget about them. Your soul memory increments each time you pick your old stain back up so I gained over 1M SM doing nothing but smelter boss runs and a couple invasions.

Since leveling up no longer increases your defense like in DS1, there's no way SM has anything to do with how little damage he was taking from a +10 murakumo at 40str/40dex.

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 29, 2014

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Kanos posted:

There's like three of them and you fight them one at a time.

Fighting ogres one at a time is still awful :colbert:

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Dex weapons have always been a little goofy in Souls games. There ends up being a lot of outright bad weapons, but there's usually a specialty weapon that's decent, and most of the weapons end up fine in PvE.

Washing Pole and Rapiers are great in PVP for example. Uchigatanas were kind of worthless for me, but they worked really well in PvE (Yes I got a friend to mule me one so I could dual wield them. It was amazing for some fights). Very rarely is an entire weapon category good, and weapons are usually good for specific tasks (like Arena versus Invasion versus PvE versus Late Game PvE etc.).

Great Axe isn't a super good PvP weapon just based on its range, but I'm loving it for PvE right now.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Bloodmobile posted:

They're a good offhand for fighting people in light armor and poking after people trying to roll away, but not really useful as a primary weapon since most people won't get stunned out of their attack animation or take more than 100 damage from their hits.

The only people who take that little damage from upgraded rapiers are full Havel dudes, and that's more of an issue of Havel's in particular being ridiculously strong than rapiers or light weapons being too weak. There's plenty of PvP videos of dual rapier dudes shredding actual SL 150 PvP builds from full to almost dead in one good combo.

There's this weird myth that dex weapons aren't very good because dex scaling isn't the best when in reality all scaling that isn't A or S is pretty poo poo compared to infusions. Yeah no poo poo a 40 dex +10 dex weapon build isn't going to outdamage a 40 str +10 greatclub build swing for swing, but the dex weapon has its own advantages. There's a ton of dex weapons that have absolutely loving amazing movesets and can be made to do shitloads of damage with the right infusion and/or buff.

kazil posted:

Fighting ogres one at a time is still awful :colbert:

Try poison but hole.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Is there any rhyme or reason to where you get summoned if you're bell-broing? I've been called to Belfry Luna all the way from Belfry Sol before.

bonerstorm
Jul 26, 2009

:|

Illegal Username posted:

loving gently caress these ruin sentinels are insane and i've already wasted all my consumables and effigies and what do you mean Lost Bastille is not the correct place to go straight after forest of lost giants

this loving game

I actually skipped that boss and went elsewhere, killed a few more bosses and came back to the Ruin Sentinels to destroy their faces. The great thing about this game is that it is the opposite of linear (for the MOST part). You can always come back to something later if you find it difficult with your current build.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

ChaosArgate posted:

Is there any rhyme or reason to where you get summoned if you're bell-broing? I've been called to Belfry Luna all the way from Belfry Sol before.

I think it mostly just looks at your soul memory/level, and if you've discovered both bell zones already. And there seems to be a preference for the zone you're in. So bastille leads to more Luna, and keep for more Sol.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is the Stone Ring (reduces enemy poise) worth using instead of the Ring of Blades (+20 dmg) :confused:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Does burning Bonfire Ascetic work in the rat covenant dungeons? :unsmigghh:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Donnerberg posted:

Yes. Turn that intensity up to 7.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

I can't believe this worked considering I had to guide someone through it on ps3 and that was through messages

It's worked a handful of times since. :3:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've now tried to fight the Ruin Sentinels so many times that everything on the way to them is extinct. :smith:

Of course I can't blame anyone but myself, being in the covenant of champions... :saddowns:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Donnerberg posted:

Yeah, but if you do that and then someone kills all your rat friends, you won't have any more friends. And that's sad.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

I've now tried to fight the Ruin Sentinels so many times that everything on the way to them is extinct. :smith:

Of course I can't blame anyone but myself, being in the covenant of champions... :saddowns:

What's your build? Do you have a mace/club or dual clubs/maces? If the latter, can you powerstance them?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Illegal Username posted:

loving gently caress these ruin sentinels are insane and i've already wasted all my consumables and effigies and what do you mean Lost Bastille is not the correct place to go straight after forest of lost giants

this loving game

It is A correct place to go. It's Dark Souls, you can go elsewhere. One of the stronger points of the game is that it is very open-ended on where you can go.

As for strategies for the Ruin Sentinels themselves:
  • Get tanky with a shield
  • Use a blunt/STR weapon or lightning damage
  • Don't summon two helpers, the second partner sends their health through the roof

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

neetengie posted:

What's your build? Do you have a mace/club or dual clubs/maces? If the latter, can you powerstance them?

Dual Caestus. I'd try something else but they're +4 and I don't have the souls/titanite to upgrade anything else. :(

(edit) I guess I could go somewhere else to farm souls or something but my favorite method (coop) is locked out and furthermore I'm a stubborn rear end in a top hat :v:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Dual Caestus. I'd try something else but they're +4 and I don't have the souls/titanite to upgrade anything else. :(

If you really think that you might fare better against a different boss, just go the No Man's Wharf route, and have a Pharos Lockstone on hand. You won't even need to fight the Sentinels.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ciaphas posted:

(edit) I guess I could go somewhere else to farm souls or something but my favorite method (coop) is locked out and furthermore I'm a stubborn rear end in a top hat :v:

See the posts I made just above you.

Or get the Craftsman's Hammer from the chest under McDuff's lazy rear end. It upgrades with Twinkling instead (which you should have a shard or two if you didn't spend it on Drangleic armor) and chews through the Sentinels.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, but if you do that and then someone kills all your rat friends, you won't have any more friends. And that's sad.

You can just burn another to get them back, though.

It may max out at 7 but you can keep going. It just stops getting tougher.

Ciaphas posted:

Have you done Heide's or Huntsman's Copse? Go do those and then come back.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 29, 2014

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
I wonder if coop feels so nice in DS because there's no chat box for people to ruin it with by talking? I'm going to start mentally projecting speech bubbles saying 'here stupid human being' over nice dudes beckoning me to a chest to see if it feels more familiar.

e; invaders war crying over my slain corpse look like they're devastated by what they've done

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Domattee posted:

So in theory we can just skip to Drangleic Castle really early by throwing ourselves down the Majula pit repeatedly? If you get 100k souls you would only need to do it 10 times, that's probably quicker than the last Speedrun strategy I saw of killing OIK or The Rotten over and over. Interesting

e: Ruin Sentinels strategy: Summon just one helper and powerstance maces. L1 L2 combo will permanently stunlock them without letting them get any hits off. Doesn't work on 3 player (you need to L2 L2 which gives them an opening for a single attack which might hit)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 29, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
^^^ That is pretty interesting. Dark Souls speedruns are fun because of all the pathing options. When I heard about that "or 1M SM" to open the door, I figured there'd be something.

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

I wonder if coop feels so nice in DS because there's no chat box for people to ruin it with by talking? I'm going to start mentally projecting speech bubbles saying 'here stupid human being' over nice dudes beckoning me to a chest to see if it feels more familiar.

Yeah I think that's a huge part of why Dark Souls 1 co-op and invasions were so cool, also the multiplayer being entirely within the context of your single player experience is pretty interesting and unique.

I'm afraid of voice chat because I don't want dark souls to turn into call of duty :ohdear:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 29, 2014

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm afraid of voice chat because I don't want dark souls to turn into call of duty :ohdear:

I summoned someone to help fight the three sentinels and it was some brazilian kid who proceeded to not shut up and then died to a simple great machete gaoler guy. Thanks matchmaking. So I've been sunbroing bosses for people since it's probably a nice change of pace to have someone not die instantly to an normal monster.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Domattee posted:

Wait, what? If I gain 1k souls, then die, then pick them up, the game will increment my soul level by 2k souls? Am I reading that right? If so, that's really drat stupid.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Alkydere posted:

See the posts I made just above you.

Or get the Craftsman's Hammer from the chest under McDuff's lazy rear end. It upgrades with Twinkling instead (which you should have a shard or two if you didn't spend it on Drangleic armor) and chews through the Sentinels.

Shockingly, getting the Hammer and getting it to +1, and busting out the Drangleic Shield, did the trick in one go. :stare:

... now I sort of don't want to get the dual Caestus back out :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

^^^ This is your first run, right? You should save dual cestus for a fun run after you've beaten the game. Use hammer and shield for now :thumbsup:

It really helps to have a shield on Ruin Sentinels. (Among other bosses!)

Ravenfood posted:

Wait, what? If I gain 1k souls, then die, then pick them up, the game will increment my soul level by 2k souls? Am I reading that right? If so, that's really drat stupid.

Yeah if true it does sound like an oversight. A good one for speedrunners, but a bad one for everybody else.

In the grand scheme of things it shouldn't be a big deal but I could see them patching it. Then again, they haven't addressed it so far...

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
If I were to buy this game, can my friend and I do the entire story co op? Or is it still fake co op where a bot/pawn comes in to play with you?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

Seems like Soul Memory goes up every time the counter in the bottom right goes up.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Kilazar posted:

If I were to buy this game, can my friend and I do the entire story co op? Or is it still fake co op where a bot/pawn comes in to play with you?

If you guys buy the Name-Engraved Ring and choose the same god, and choose to put your summon signs in a certain place that only you guys would find, then yeah you can have higher chances of co-oping with your friend.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

It really helps to have a shield on Ruin Sentinels. (Among other bosses!)

On the other hand having a shield is for pussies, unless your weapon is a spear in which case it's justifiable as taking advantage of what little you have (because spears are not very amazing, see).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kilazar posted:

I have no idea what you mean by "a bot/pawn comes in to play with you" but no, it works exactly the same way as Dark Souls - you can only summon help fairly close to the boss, and only if you haven't beaten the boss, and beating the boss while summoned doesn't beat it in your world.

Mia Antifa
Sep 12, 2011

nazi punks fuck off

Kild posted:

I found him.
He's back where he originally was talking about how he'll return soon.

There should be a skeleton in the basement of the mansion. Kill it and he should move there. If he had already moved there, and you used an ascetic in Majula, he will move back out and you'll have to kill two skeletons for him to move back.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kilazar posted:

You're thinking of Dragon's Dogma. This has nothing to do with Dragon's Dogma. :rolleyes:

Yes you can co-op the whole game. As you could in Dark Souls 1.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I have no idea what you mean by "a bot/pawn comes in to play with you" but no, it works exactly the same way as Dark Souls - you can only summon help fairly close to the boss, and only if you haven't beaten the boss, and beating the boss while summoned doesn't beat it in your world.

He's thinking of an entirely different game for no reason. The term "pawn" is key, it was exactly what that game used to refer to that mechanic, and AFAIK no other game uses that system. I don't know why he'd assume this game did, unless he just confused Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma for whatever reason.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 29, 2014

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
So, Flawless Widescreen updates and says Ds2 has been updated to use VAC and one of the fixes it uses was unsafe. Seeing no new updates I can only assume it was enabled from the getgo, or silently added on the patch Monday morning. Meanwhile I was using the thing all day yesterday.

I'm as good as banned, aren't I? :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah if true it does sound like an oversight. A good one for speedrunners, but a bad one for everybody else.

In the grand scheme of things it shouldn't be a big deal but I could see them patching it. Then again, they haven't addressed it so far...

Domattee posted:

Seems like Soul Memory goes up every time the counter in the bottom right goes up.
I just tested it. It does not. Recovery does not increment soul level. Or rather, I had 451,586 souls. I went, picked them up, and died again. I still had 451,586 souls. If it does add them back to your counter (I couldn't test in the meantime, my souls are sitting in the Belfry :argh:) it either subtracts your total from your SM when you die, or just doesn't re-add them when you pick them up.