Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trouzorz
Feb 24, 2009

krustster posted:

Just checked the beer store's facebook page to find out that they got Black Note the very next day after I last went there (one week ago). Seems like a "watched pot never boils" type of thing, since I was checking almost every day and eventually stopped paying attention, which apparently caused it to appear automatically. And now they're closed... and it's probably all gone anyway... :sigh:

This seems to happen way too often to me with FW releases. I chased the last 3 and they all arrived on unusual days. Only managed to grab a sucaba after my brother brought me to a store where he had to ask for their "secret beers".

Recently finished up my BIF haul from dphi

Laurelwood Workhorse & Hop Valley Citrus Mistress: Both very nice citrus IPAs. Workhorse was more orange/amber in color as opposed to the darker gold, and had a bit thicker and longer lasting head. Similar tasting and would be happy to have both again.

Ft. George Java the Hop: The flavors here didn't really blend (coffee vs hops). When thinking about one the other seemed to fade. Definitely an interesting drink. Would love to see how it changes over time as both flavors change at different rates.

Basecamp S'more Stout: Surprisingly reminiscent of a s'more. The smokiness is there but plays a background/aftertaste role. Also got a hint of coffee which, despite being a bit off theme, is not something I'm one to complain about.

Worthy Dark Muse: The head fizzled away quickly and the viscosity was very light; almost soda-like. Had it been labeled a porter I probably would have enjoyed it a lot more for the dark fruit and cacao flavor, but I feel like one defining difference between a stout and porter should be texture, and it in that department it was unfortunately shallower than expected.

Breakside Salted Caramel Stout: Not much to say here other than I agree that the salt and caramel should be a bit stronger, especially as a salt lover, but still great flavor and different from any other stouts I've had before.

Heater Allen Schwartz: The first I've had of the style. Really enjoyed its drinkability despite the strong flavors. Would love to try more of their brews as I become more acquainted with German lagers. Bonus points for sexy minimalist sheen label.

Hopworks Urban Brewery Motherland: Great example of the style in all aspects. Nothing mind blowing but definitely gains trust of the brewery.

Logsdon Peche 'n Brett: Smells like a peach cup and drank about the same. Medium tartness made it very enjoyable. I love fruited sours and this is certainly on the top tier of those I've tried.

Long Paul's Porter: Mentioned this one in a previous post but I can't stop thinking about it. After I began tasting a lot more smoke in Edmund Fitzgerald it has taken Ed's place as my favorite porter. Though I don't know the price point, and it has been suggested to be pretty high, I would not hesitate to trade for more of this.

Thanks again dphi for a wonderful taste of Oregon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
I had one more beer after I stopped posting last night, a homebrewed vanilla brown ale at 5.3%. Drank a total of
nine beers in about 4 hours. I got pretty drunk and bad at Super Mario World by the end so unsurprisinglyI don't think the yogurt did anything. What is surprising is my stomach feels fine, I assumed eating 9 teaspoons of yeast would mess me up pretty bad.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Y-Hat posted:

Has anybody toured Studio Ghibli in Japan? Because they serve this Miyazaki-inspired beer there. I want it based on the novelty factor alone.

Kiki's Imbibery Service? for real, though, i'd be pumped to try those beers; my lady, her daughter, and i are all big Miyazaki fans.

Josh Wow posted:

I had one more beer after I stopped posting last night, a homebrewed vanilla brown ale at 5.3%. Drank a total of
nine beers in about 4 hours. I got pretty drunk and bad at Super Mario World by the end so unsurprisinglyI don't think the yogurt did anything. What is surprising is my stomach feels fine, I assumed eating 9 teaspoons of yeast would mess me up pretty bad.

maybe a narrow one, but i'd still call that a victory. any headache this morning?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

In contrast to Y-hat, I tried a Stone Go-To the other day and found it tremendously underwhelming and dull compared to Founders All Day. Guess I just like juicier, citrusy bitterness in my IPAs rather than resiny, piney bitterness.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Trouzorz posted:

Thanks again dphi for a wonderful taste of Oregon!

Great post, happy to hear there weren't any complete misses. FWIW, Long's beers are ~$8-12/22oz so not crazy expensive but definitely high for what they are. If/when he does another pinot barrel-aged version, I'll be sure to pick up an extra bottle for ya.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

funkybottoms posted:

Kiki's Imbibery Service? for real, though, i'd be pumped to try those beers; my lady, her daughter, and i are all big Miyazaki fans.
I'm told that it's not that good and you can't even order a bottle to take out. But it's the concept of a Miyazaki-themed beer that gets me more than the taste.

Schpyder posted:

In contrast to Y-hat, I tried a Stone Go-To the other day and found it tremendously underwhelming and dull compared to Founders All Day. Guess I just like juicier, citrusy bitterness in my IPAs rather than resiny, piney bitterness.
Hmm, I guess I might like Stone Go-To then, since I hold the opposite view. Good thing they're sold in multiple bodegas around me.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Y-Hat posted:

Has anybody toured Studio Ghibli in Japan? Because they serve this Miyazaki-inspired beer there. I want it based on the novelty factor alone.

God dammit why did you have to tell me this exists. They didn't have beer for sale when I was there last time. :mad:

...ISO

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Schpyder posted:

I initially liked Go-To, but then I had another couple bottles and it started to set in that there was basically zero malt character whatsoever. It basically just tasted like pine water. That's fine if it's what you're going for, but even other session IPAs have something to grasp on to. Lagunitas Daytime is the best I've had yet, personally. All Day isn't bad either.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
anybody near Tampa should probably be headed over to CCB for a growler right now...

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
In my quest to find a 'Session IPA' I'd like to have more than once, I recently tried Notch's Left of the Dial. Cool packaging and name - and the beer was pretty enjoyable as well, but I'd hardly call it an IPA, which was fine. I just don't think it's a 'style' that works well. Can we just have some more well made pale ales?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

cryme posted:

Can we just have some more well made pale ales?

Remember when "session IPAs" were just called pale ales instead of using "IPA" as a marketing ploy for more sales?

I'm not disagreeing, either. I've long believed that a well-made, well-balanced pale is a far better way to judge a brewery than an IPA. My biggest issue with these "session" beers is that too many of them are doing what crazyfish described in Go-To: just make a low-alcohol beer where the hops are entirely in the forefront. All these are- Daytime being the big exclusion- are poorly made pales.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Girlkisser send me a growler of Rum Zukhov please and thank you...

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

a worthy uhh posted:

Girlkisser send me a growler of Rum Zukhov please and thank you...

a worth uhh, please forward me that growler once you get it please and thank you.

E: Catador Rd. II is supposed to have a BA'd Zhukov involved. So there's that, too.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Rum Zukhov sounds delicious.

I had Rum BA Ten Fidy at FOBAB last year and thought it was pretty drat good. Are there any other good Rum BA beers out there? They seem pretty few and far between...

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Cervixalot posted:

Rum Zukhov sounds delicious.

I had Rum BA Ten Fidy at FOBAB last year and thought it was pretty drat good. Are there any other good Rum BA beers out there? They seem pretty few and far between...

CCB has done a bunch, including Forgotten Island (rum BA'd quad), Good Gourd Almighty (rum BA'd Good Gourd), DB Huna (rum BA'd Huna in the blend) for the first Catador. Plus lots of others. Also, Westbrook has released a few rum variants of some of their things. So... the southeast unsurprisingly seems to be leading the pack with those. The Bruery has done some, too. I'm sure I'm missing others.

My opinion is that the rum is usually VERY powerful in the smell. Things just seem to have a heavy pina colada type scent, so that might be off-putting if you're trying to have something less in-your-face.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

danbanana posted:

a worth uhh, please forward me that growler once you get it please and thank you.

E: Catador Rd. II is supposed to have a BA'd Zhukov involved. So there's that, too.

Good consolation prize. I forget what the list is, but everything they teased for Catador2 sounds great.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I've had a few rum BA beers and they tend to remind me of spiced rum and coke.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Midorka posted:

I've had a few rum BA beers and they tend to remind me of spiced rum and coke.

This reminded me that I had Floyd D'Rue at DLD and it tasted like a bad rum and coke.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

crazyfish posted:

I initially liked Go-To, but then I had another couple bottles and it started to set in that there was basically zero malt character whatsoever. It basically just tasted like pine water. That's fine if it's what you're going for, but even other session IPAs have something to grasp on to. Lagunitas Daytime is the best I've had yet, personally. All Day isn't bad either.

Yeah, that pretty much describes what I found lacking about Go-To. I've been looking for Daytime, but haven't seen it around the GR area yet. The fact that I get pretty much the freshest All Day possible might also be coloring my opinions. ;)

As far a regular pale ales go, I'm a big fan of Greenbush Closure, and luuuurve me some Daisy Cutter when I'm in Chicago.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

CCB has done a bunch, including Forgotten Island (rum BA'd quad), Good Gourd Almighty (rum BA'd Good Gourd), DB Huna (rum BA'd Huna in the blend) for the first Catador. Plus lots of others. Also, Westbrook has released a few rum variants of some of their things. So... the southeast unsurprisingly seems to be leading the pack with those. The Bruery has done some, too. I'm sure I'm missing others.

My opinion is that the rum is usually VERY powerful in the smell. Things just seem to have a heavy pina colada type scent, so that might be off-putting if you're trying to have something less in-your-face.

Don't forget Revolution Third Year. Great beer, but of course it was a one-off.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Question for Florida beer folks.. how readily available is Marshal Zhukov when it's in season, and whats the pricepoint on that normally?

I'm trying to decide on a plan of action to acquire more of this tasty beverage.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

crazyfish posted:

Don't forget Revolution Third Year. Great beer, but of course it was a one-off.

I have a bottle of this which I should probably drink already... I've never actually tried it.

edit: Wow. Hill Farmstead currently has Hommage available at their retail shop, along with C&D 9. I've never wanted to go there so bad.

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 29, 2014

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Kudosx posted:

I have a bottle of this which I should probably drink already... I've never actually tried it.

It reminded me a lot of spiced rum and vanilla coke. Not that it's bad, but that's what I got out of it.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Evolution's Spring Migration is a rum-BA version of a strong belgian golden ale, but it's probably my least favorite of the Migrations. Very rum-heavy. Rum barrels impose their will strongly to most beers, in my experience.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

crazyfish posted:

I initially liked Go-To, but then I had another couple bottles and it started to set in that there was basically zero malt character whatsoever.
That's the problem with session IPAs in general. They're just not the same without a malty backbone.

funkybottoms posted:

anybody near Tampa should probably be headed over to CCB for a growler right now...
:siren: Context: Tallahassee might have just killed craft brewing in the state of Florida, and have certainly have killed the appeal of Cigar City. :siren:

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/morning_call/2014/04/senate-bill-could-place-more-restrictions-on.html
http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2014/1714
https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2014/1714/Vote/SenateVote_s1714e1019.PDF

Cigar City's founder said he would consider moving to elsewhere in the Southeast if they passed this, and I'm fairly certain big business whore Rick Scott will sign it. Hello Georgia?

Vertigo posted:

Question for Florida beer folks.. how readily available is Marshal Zhukov when it's in season, and whats the pricepoint on that normally?

I'm trying to decide on a plan of action to acquire more of this tasty beverage.
Wait for them to relocate.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 29, 2014

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Y-Hat posted:

:siren: Context: Tallahassee might have just killed craft brewing in the state of Florida, and have certainly have killed the appeal of Cigar City. :siren:

Interesting, especially since this is the opposite direction almost all states have started moving in regards to this stuff (IL increasing the amount of beer brewed by self-distro'd, MN looking to sell beer on Sundays at breweries, the big TX change, etc.).

Also read this, which is absolutely insane.

"The three-tier is the backbone of societal protections against rampant alcoholism of the 1920s."

WTF.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

^^^ :psyduck: jeez lady, just tell us all how much distro/big beer money you're getting

Kudosx posted:

edit: Wow. Hill Farmstead currently has Hommage available at their retail shop, along with C&D 9. I've never wanted to go there so bad.

gently caress. Wish I had a contact out there :( I've wanted Hommage since I first tried 3F. That and the Armand season gueuzes are my biggest wants.

air- fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 29, 2014

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Vertigo posted:

Here's the schedule:
http://beerstreetjournal.com/cigar-city-brewing-2014-release-calendar/

Last year from my experience in South Florida it was like a normal seasonal release where it seems like the handful of stores who get it get one or two deliveries of 1-case(12 bottles), and have a 1-per person limit. It seems to go the fastest, you could find some of the others like Cucumber Saison everywhere and for months, where that sold out real quick.

It's usually 13-15$ in my experience, I think?

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Here's the schedule:
http://beerstreetjournal.com/cigar-city-brewing-2014-release-calendar/

Last year from my experience in South Florida it was like a normal seasonal release where it seems like the handful of stores who get it get one or two deliveries of 1-case(12 bottles), and have a 1-per person limit. It seems to go the fastest, you could find some of the others like Cucumber Saison everywhere and for months, where that sold out real quick.

It's usually 13-15$ in my experience, I think?

Thank you very much for the info... so it is as rare as I was hoping it wasn't.. a bar near me got a case 3 years ago, and I'm still holding on to one bottle from that, and a bottle I had in trade(I bought 4 from the bar that night, beer karma be damned).

Ugh, the wallet got hit a bit hard today. Sent out a beer trade box that was due out yesterday... then hit up the bottle shop..

The owner held an Kriek and Apricot Cascade for me, otherwise they were sold out... also grabbed a Mikkeller Funky Star, and a Mischief and Rugbrod , just because I'm on a total Bruery kick lately...

Last night we drank the bottle of Smooth Criminal that I had gotten locally from someone who has a CA proxy for the Reserve Society. Not the most amazing beer I've ever had, but drat if it wasn't tasty. Then I had an RJ Rocker's OctoPerle which was also fairly solid.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Session IPA chat.

Stone Go To IPA: the worst of the bunch that I've tried. My reference point for everything that's wrong with the style. Thin, over carbonated, too bitter, zero flavor contribution from the malt, oniony, resiny hop flavors that overwhelm everything else. Like a bad hop-flavored soda.

Lagunitas Daytime IPA: pretty good. I'm happy to drink it, but never seek it out. Pretty thin mouthfeel which seems to be a problem with this style.

FW Easy Jack: really good. Not thin-bodied. Has some malt character as well. Some really interesting hop flavors from some of the newer hop varieties they used, like Mandarina Bavaria. Basically a really well made hoppy pale ale.

Fort George Suicide Squeeze IPA: my favorite that I've tried so far. The big print on the can just says IPA, and you wouldn't know it's sessionable unless you looked at the ABV or read the small print. Smells, tastes, and feels like a solid West Coast IPA, with a really nice dose of Mosaic and Citra hops. A counterpoint to everyone that says these sorts of beers are just pale ales with IPA marketing.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Pretty thin mouthfeel which seems to be a problem with this style.

Well, the style is supposed to be easy drinking, low-ABV. Pretty sure "thin mouthfeel" is purposeful.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

danbanana posted:

Well, the style is supposed to be easy drinking, low-ABV. Pretty sure "thin mouthfeel" is purposeful.

Hop soda thin? Maybe its intentional, but there is a difference between thin like a dry, west coast IPA, and a watery, super-thin mouthfeel that negatively impacts the beer IMO. The latter seems to be a problem with the style.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Hop soda thin? Maybe its intentional, but there is a difference between thin like a dry, west coast IPA, and a watery, super-thin mouthfeel that negatively impacts the beer IMO. The latter seems to be a problem with the style.

I get it. I just think it's supposed to be that way. It's akin to saying an American light lager is too thin in the mouth. Or a 15% RIS is too thick.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I'm guessing Terrapin's Recreation Ale didn't do too well; the most recent boxes I saw were canned in November 2013. It made me sad.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
I think the bulk of session IPAs are pointless (out of the ones I've tried) and even though they contain less alcohol I feel the body and flavor is never on per with a great IPA. However a nice low abv kolsch or pilsner would be something I'd look out for as they represent a session beer much better imo.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

The last thing I want when it's 95 degrees out and the sun is bearing down is something with any sort of body. If you want something heavier get a regular IPA. Not everything needs to have the mouthfeel of an oatmeal stout.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

HatfulOfHollow posted:

The last thing I want when it's 95 degrees out and the sun is bearing down is something with any sort of body. If you want something heavier get a regular IPA. Not everything needs to have the mouthfeel of an oatmeal stout.

There's a difference between light body and hop water. Stone Go-To fits the latter category. I don't want to drink doppelbock in 95 degree heat by the pool, but I want to taste something besides hop water when I drink beer.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Trouzorz posted:

This seems to happen way too often to me with FW releases. I chased the last 3 and they all arrived on unusual days. Only managed to grab a sucaba after my brother brought me to a store where he had to ask for their "secret beers".

Incredibly, I went to the "secret" beer stores (a wine place with a small beer selection and a hippie food co-op) and they both had plenty of Black Note left, so I got a couple of four packs and a single. I left some for other people though.

In other bizarre news, local grocery store just put KBS out last week and there was some left up until today when my out-of-control friend bought it all. A month after release... incredible...

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

funkybottoms posted:

maybe a narrow one, but i'd still call that a victory. any headache this morning?

I felt like I normally do, I'm not headache prone so just a bit fuzzy.

Y-Hat posted:

Cigar City's founder said he would consider moving to elsewhere in the Southeast if they passed this, and I'm fairly certain big business whore Rick Scott will sign it. Hello Georgia?

Breweries in Georgia can't sell beer from the brewery at all. No bottles, growlers or even pints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Josh Wow posted:

Breweries in Georgia can't sell beer from the brewery at all. No bottles, growlers or even pints.
That's rough. Be that as it may, if I had to choose between staying in a state that wants to kill craft brewing or moving to a state with that beer selling restrictions but a regular environment for craft breweries to thrive, I'd go with the latter. It's better than going out of business.