Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

api call girl posted:

As if KJA was even the worst offender, especially recently.

That stuff never happened.

There are some nice concepts KJA came up with that could have been done much better if he was suited to pulling it off without it being cheesy/horrible. I keep the bare bones and flesh it out more to suit my needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Nerds are terribly anal self hating creatures, some of which never sadly will think for themselves. For example, most dumb KJA stuff in my head has been self censored Stalin style.

Hahah, some please do a 'shop Trotsky style of one of the post-RotJ books.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My prediction is that the new continuity guidelines are going to produce some incredibly boring books for some time to come, if Razor's Edge and Honor Among Thieves are anything to judge by.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Thrawn who?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
What about pre-ROTJ EU? That release really only states that post ROTJ canon is out and that anything Clone Wars is in. Is KOTOR still canon? Shadows of the Empire? Splinter of the Mind's Eye? I don't care one way or the other what's kept or trashed (those fuckers better keep Rogue Squadron and Wedge in some form :argh:), I just want a clear indication of what's what. Don't pull a New 52 here.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the safe bet would be that everything that isn't the films or a television series is 100% noncanon until explicitly stated otherwise. I doubt Starkiller is ever getting his plot resolved.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
Shadows of the Empire probably has a good shot of sticking around, considering it was their movie-without-a-movie and consists of book, comics, games, etc.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What about pre-ROTJ EU? That release really only states that post ROTJ canon is out and that anything Clone Wars is in. Is KOTOR still canon? Shadows of the Empire? Splinter of the Mind's Eye? I don't care one way or the other what's kept or trashed (those fuckers better keep Rogue Squadron and Wedge in some form :argh:), I just want a clear indication of what's what. Don't pull a New 52 here.

Phone posting, so I don't have the relevant links on hand, but the new senior editor at Lucas books did clarify that "all the old stories are non canon, but the still can be drawn on if the new Story Group wants to bring something in from the old continuity"

It wouldn't surprise me at all if there's an offhand name drop of "man, remember the Thrawn crisis" or if they give Han and Leia twin children they keep the names Jacen and Jaina or something.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Splinter of the Minds Eye has been non canon for a long time if I remember right.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Personperson14 posted:

Splinter of the Minds Eye has been non canon for a long time if I remember right.

Splinter was C canon.

EDIT: I think there might have originally been some confusion since S canon held a whole lot of the older stuff before there was any plans to curate the continuity, but to the best of my knowledge, Splinter of the Mind's Eye has pretty much always had the same canon ranking as any other novel.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 28, 2014

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Splinter of the Mind's Eye was canon, if nothing else the planet from it and the kyber crystal showed up in a number of other works (I think both were even in the Clone Wars, or at least mentioned there).

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
I always understood Lucas's attitude was "As far as the movies go, EU stuff isn't relevant unless I decide it is", so I'm not too surprised that Disney is taking basically the same position.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
For the most part I'm ok with this. I get why a canon and general continuity is nice, but 20 years is a lot of stuff to keep track of, especially across books, comics, cartoons, video games, etc.

I never read the comics much and recently rather than new storylines it seems like the big novel arcs are just re-dredging up obscure characters from old comics or trying to tie in the Clone Wars cartoon to the "adult" novels. I was completely lost the last couple big arcs until I went on Wookieepedia to figure out who the hell these characters and stuff were.

Especially, the whole chasing Abeloth across the galaxy it was like an EU B-side montage of planets and settings from older novels. I'm more then happy to declutter my brain and just enjoy some good stories with the Star Wars backdrop.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
They killed the 'fat period' of my life, from 12-15, when I read every single Star Wars novel. How cruel to a broken heart like mine.

The problem with Star Wars is George Lucas, and without all those rugged British B-movie and theater veterans no Star Wars movie will ever be any good.

It's still real to me!!!!!!!!!! There are Hutts who have levitating armor and fight like air hockey pucks!!! There's a witch planet!! And Han Solo's home is space Texas. My name is Brakiss, I have white hair and I'm here to make your children sick and twisted servants of evil. It's real!! There's a guy who is a laser canon!!

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 28, 2014

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Personperson14 posted:

Don't really get how you can get mad over the books not being canon, if you like them can't you still enjoy them?

Well, basically the post-ROTJ EU works we all know are now basically fan fiction. Realistically most of the works are no better than terrible fan fiction but the illusion is now gone drat it :mad:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

WhyteRyce posted:

Well, basically the post-ROTJ EU works we all know are now basically fan fiction. Realistically most of the works are no better than terrible fan fiction but the illusion is now gone drat it :mad:

A better way to look at it is that its a separate universe, the Legends continuity is basically a parallel timeline to the "real" Star Wars continuity now.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

WhyteRyce posted:

TBB > Geeky Star Wars Fanfiction Thread: Attack of the Bugnest Orgies

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cru Jones posted:

I never read the comics much

Especially in the last ten years or so, the comics have been way better than the novels. Open Seasons, Republic, KOTOR, both Legacies, Agent of the Empire, and The Star Wars were/are all top notch. Most Clone Wars books, good chunk of the NJO, and basically everything after it pale in comparison.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Legacy at least was loving stupid and calling it better than the novels is faint praise indeed.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Teek posted:

Thrawn who?

I donno... the best part is Joruus being missing because it looks like those little lines are from nowhere.

Megachile
Apr 5, 2014

Casimir Radon posted:

My prediction is that the new continuity guidelines are going to produce some incredibly boring books for some time to come, if Razor's Edge and Honor Among Thieves are anything to judge by.

I'll agree with you on Razor's Edge, but Honor Among Thieves was great. :colbert: It's a brilliant (relatively speaking, of course) character portrait of Rebellion-era Han.

For what it's worth, I thought Kenobi was great too. Having both of them within a year of each other gave me hope for the EU. I like to think that the people responsible (now free of George's influence) can apply the lessons of 30-some years of Star Wars writing and take good advantage of the fresh start. We can hope, anyway.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Teek posted:

Thrawn who?

I hope a sperg out there has compared this to Stalin.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Personperson14 posted:

I hope a sperg out there has compared this to Stalin.

I think a comment about Stalin was what prompted that very image.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Megachile posted:

I'll agree with you on Razor's Edge, but Honor Among Thieves was great. :colbert: It's a brilliant (relatively speaking, of course) character portrait of Rebellion-era Han.

For what it's worth, I thought Kenobi was great too. Having both of them within a year of each other gave me hope for the EU. I like to think that the people responsible (now free of George's influence) can apply the lessons of 30-some years of Star Wars writing and take good advantage of the fresh start. We can hope, anyway.
Honor Among Thieves didn't really do anything for me. The books Zahn set between ANH and ESB did a pretty good job of portraying Han at the time. I liked Kenobi a lot, but really doubt most authors are going to be able to do something like that with such a limited mandate.

Zahn also posted some thoughts and clarified a few things.

Timothy Zahn posted:

Having now had a few days to process the news from LFL, a few thoughts:

First, since many of you are wondering, I have *not* yet been asked to write any new Star Wars books. But that doesn’t mean I won’t receive such an invitation in the future. If that happens, whether or not I accept will depend on what kind of story I’m asked to write, what input I’d have on the content, what era the story will be set in, etc. I would certainly *like* to return to the GFFA, but at the moment that’s not my decision to make.

Second, as far as I can tell from the announcement, LFL is *not* erasing the EU, but simply making it clear that nothing there is official canon. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, nor does it immediately send everything into alternate-universe status. If nothing from the Thrawn Trilogy, say, is used in future movies (and if there’s nothing in the movies that contradicts it), then we can reasonably continue to assume that those events *did* happen. It looks to me like the “Legends” banner is going to be used mainly to distinguish Story-Group-Approved canon books from those that aren’t officially canon but might still exist.

Third, even if something from the Thrawn Trilogy *does* show up in a movie in a different form, we authors are masters of spackle, back-fill, and hand-waving. For example, if Ghent appears in the movies but never mentions Thrawn, I can argue that he simply doesn’t want to talk about that era, or else has completely forgotten about it. (Which for Ghent isn’t really much of a stretch.)

Finally, there’s nothing inherently demeaning in the term “Legends.” Think back (a little farther…a little farther) to Disney’s 1950s “Davy Crockett” TV series, (a show I grew up with) which presented stories and legends about the King of the Wild Frontier. Historians have Crockett’s genuine history, but there’s nothing that says these TV adventures *didn’t* happen, right? So until and unless the legend puts Davy in Tennessee at the same time the real history puts him in Virginia, we can still believe those adventures happened. That’s how I expect it to be with the “real” Star Wars history versus the “legendary” adventures of the EU.

Bottom line: let’s all sit back and relax and see what new adventures are offered to us, both in new books and new movies. It’ll be Star Wars, and that’s what counts.
He's currently not contracted anything new but that could change and he sounds cautiously optimistic about his chances, so that's good.

EDIT: Oh, and if The Force Unleashed series gets wiped out all the better.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 29, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hahaha, check out Wookiepedia's quote of the day:

George Lucas in 1988 posted:

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians [...]."

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm not furious or even angry, I'm just a little irrationally sad I guess?

I remember when I first got Heir to the Empire. I was 7 and I loved Star Wars to bits. I'd managed to win the form prize in my school for academics and as a reward they gave us a book token. Mine was £10, but honestly, I was never that into reading fiction, or reading in general. I was very much a scientist in that regard, I never really "got" English lit or language.

As I was looking around the library at our school for a book something caught my eye, it had Star Wars on the title and pictures of all the characters I loved in the movies. So I picked it up, looked at the price tag and lo and behold, it was £9.99.

I took it back home and tried to read it, but it was too advanced at the time. I couldn't keep up. So every year I'd go back to this book and try to figure out what was going on, until finally when I was 10 or so I got all the way to the end.

I took pride in that and in the fact that there was this little pocket of the Star Wars universe that my friends didn't know about and that I did.

I eventually read through the majority of post RotJ EU as I grew older. And most of it is pretty terrible. But I dunno, I guess the material not being canon any more makes me feel like what I felt back then is a little less real?

It's irrational, silly and in the end, I'm really glad we get to see new Star Wars films but I feel like I can understand where all this anger comes from perhaps?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
This has probably been asked many times, but does the Clone Wars tv show ever stop being tedious garbage?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My own feelings are very hard to sum up in words.

I have a lot of nostalgia for the EU novels, because even when they were terrible (and most of them were) they were still a huge part of my adolescence, and I still enjoy most of the comics that I've read (I've certainly never been quiet about thinking Republic is superior to Legacy).

The thing is, it's not like I enjoyed those books just because they were "canon" or whatever, and if I was going to re-read the ones I liked, I can't imagine enjoying them less just because they have a "Legends" banner on the cover. :shrug:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wikipedia Brown posted:

This has probably been asked many times, but does the Clone Wars tv show ever stop being tedious garbage?

Season 1 and a bit of early Season 2 (all the stuff that was completed before any audience feedback started coming in) can be rough, but right around Mid Season 2 the quality of the show takes a huge upswing. They drop 95% of the "Snips and Skyguy" nonsense, the animation quality continually gets better, and as the show progresses they build up a back-library of various alien species models so crowd scenes get more diverse. The battle droids stay goofy, but it's a kids show first and foremost, so I can forgive them that. They also stop leaning quite so hard on Dooku/Grievous/Ventress being the villains of the week that flee while screaming "I'll get you next time Gadget!!". Dooku is restored to being much more of a behind the scenes puppet master, Grievous makes less frequent appearances, and Ventress actually gets some interesting character beats.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

It's the best case scenario, honestly. Like the Marvel and DC universes, reboots are needed when you have a series spanning this many years. Having to fit their new movies into the old continuity would be a mess, and limit their options drastically.

The way I see it, it's like when new Batman movies come out. Ra's al Ghul was in the comics. He was also in Batman Begins. The two characters were similar, in that the movie version was clearly based on the comic book version. But they're not identical, because Nolan wasn't interested in telling a story of a man who literally lived forever. Instead, Ra's became a character whose legend and name lives on forever.

I'm thinking you'll see things from the "Legends" series come back, but not exactly the same. It'll be source material, like comic books are for comic book movies. Maybe Thrawn will be in the movies, but things don't have to happen the exact same way they did in the books. Maybe Rogue Squadron will be reformed by Wedge, but no one in it will be Force sensitive this time. All fine by me.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

jivjov posted:

Clone Wars stuff
Are they going to go back and release a box set that actually has everything in it?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

jivjov posted:

Season 1 and a bit of early Season 2 (all the stuff that was completed before any audience feedback started coming in) can be rough, but right around Mid Season 2 the quality of the show takes a huge upswing.

Cool! I'm not expecting anything that smart from a kid's show, but the early going is truly dreadful. I'll stick it out for a while.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

This is basically how I feel about everything, and honestly I am excited for this reboot. The old EU will always be there, and the Zahn books/X-Wing series and so on will always be great, and I'm sure I'll reread them again even though they might not be canon. And it's not like everyone who posts in this thread doesn't have their own 'head canon' anyways (the dark nest trilogy never happened loving denning). But now with the reboot maybe we can get some not totally poo poo material now as opposed to FOTJ/LOTF/etc.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Casimir Radon posted:

Are they going to go back and release a box set that actually has everything in it?

From what I understand, licensing issues of some kind prevent them from ever boxing the theatrical film in with the TV show, but as for a home media release of "Season 6/Lost Missions/bonus episodes" (or whatever the appropriate name is), I think we're gonna have a bit of a wait due to the Netflix exclusivity deal.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-7-cast-announced.html

quote:

The Star Wars team is thrilled to announce the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII.

Actors John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow will join the original stars of the saga, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker in the new film.

quote:

Star Wars: Episode VII is being directed by J.J. Abrams from a screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan and Abrams. Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Bryan Burk are producing, and John Williams returns as the composer. The movie opens worldwide on December 18, 2015.

alg fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 29, 2014

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I am super pumped the John Boyega rumor was true. Anyone who hasn't seen Attack the Block really needs to right away.

Also, Andy Serkis and Max von Sydow? Awesome!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
An interesting cast selection. Plus more John Williams music is always good.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

An interesting cast selection. Plus more John Williams music is always good.

Actually his contributions to the prequels were entirely forgettable, so I hope he steps up for episode 7.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Van Dis posted:

Actually his contributions to the prequels were entirely forgettable, so I hope he steps up for episode 7.

Duel of the Fates is a pretty baller song, as were Across the Stars and Battle of the Heroes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
No Billy Dee, heresy!

(He is 77 now.. I guess that's okay)