Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Barfing Cumlord posted:

Speaking of it, the only time I had a lot of difficulty figuring out where to go next was after getting the King's Ring, since the Emerald Herald tells you very specifically to go open the King's Gate, which is the name of the bonfire right next to the Throne of Want. Of course I go do that, kill the throne twins, and nothing happens, no indication you're supposed to go to Aldia's first.

I had already found several doors saying "Produce the symbol of the king" so as soon as I heard "king's gate" I was like "OH HELL YES". I'd made mental notes to go back to those doors. That's the right way to approach Dark Souls, exploring and making notes. So I didn't even need her to say anything. But you can always google :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Okay, so I've decided that I want to be a gun, so I'm doing a Sorcery/Miracle/Hex/Pyro build. I've been trying to stack as much Casting Speed as I can, but I have no idea if 300+ cast speed is even worth a drat. Is the most important part my Staff/Chime or is there a solid, tangible benefit to having an enormous Casting Speed stat? If I can skate by with something like 150, it'd sure be nice to know before I commit a bunch of resources to otherwise redundant equipment.

Has anyone done any real testing to compare the benefits?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jeez, I was opening the doors in Drangleic Castle and out pops some baby ruin sentinels. A few of the rooms in the castle are downright mean. And then I get to the next area and stop loving sniping me you little pricks. :argh:

On the plus side I'm now swimming in titanite slabs. It's hilarious overkill.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.
I joined the ratbro covenant and holy poo poo am I having a good time. I'm chilling out in the first room of Doors of Pharros while alt-tabbed, tabbing back in when my controller vibrates (and shakes my whole desk :v:), and then wrecking the summoned dudes with my powerstanced great clubs. This game is great.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
What is the royal function of a room full of blowdart masks anyways?

I would have preferred a room of wall-to-wall Nashandra paintings.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

Zaphod42 posted:

I had already found several doors saying "Produce the symbol of the king" so as soon as I heard "king's gate" I was like "OH HELL YES". I'd made mental notes to go back to those doors. That's the right way to approach Dark Souls, exploring and making notes. So I didn't even need her to say anything. But you can always google :cheeky:

I remembered where one of them was. I went back, went through it, and as far as I can tell there's nothing on the other side except for a giant/tree statue that doesn't seem to do anything. I guess I need to go somewhere else first?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Mimetic posted:

I remembered where one of them was. I went back, went through it, and as far as I can tell there's nothing on the other side except for a giant/tree statue that doesn't seem to do anything. I guess I need to go somewhere else first?

There's another door you need to go through. Try the Shaded Wood.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I've seen some really pretty DS2 screenshots. What are people using to pretty up their game?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think most are staying away from that DS2 fix thing and its mostly all in-game. It looks amazing out the box.

This may help tho, I don't think it's VAC detectable: http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/21/dark-souls-2-pc-tweaking-guide/

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

Upmarket Mango posted:

I've seen some really pretty DS2 screenshots. What are people using to pretty up their game?

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/21/dark-souls-2-pc-tweaking-guide/

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/24/dark-souls-2-modded-durantes-gedosato-enables-downsampling-texture-modding/

Be aware, you've got to have a pretty good machine to do the stuff in the first one. I've just got a 560ti in my machine and doing the tweaks dropped me from 60 fps to 30. In the end I decided framerate was better than fancy anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering.

TheNightReaver
Sep 7, 2011

Go fart with the angels.
Those waiting for help for Rat Authority can stop waiting, it seems you can't place any summon sign in that pvp zone. I just nuked the rat from a distance. Turns out 3 Sunlight spears get him to 1/4th of his health.

Also, a silly ratbro summoned me to his world. Poor thing...he sicked two mammoths at me, both down with a sunlight spear each, and then he decided to come to me...***through the water***. A sunlight spear to the face and he disintegrated. :feelsgood:

On a weird note, having region restriction off and playing at weird ours makes you get summoned by all sorts of asian folk. After I nuked the Iron King with lightning, the two clearly Japanese dudes I was playing with postrated to me...I felt so awkward and guilty for the rest of the day :(

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

I think most are staying away from that DS2 fix thing and its mostly all in-game. It looks amazing out the box.

This may help tho, I don't think it's VAC detectable: http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/21/dark-souls-2-pc-tweaking-guide/

Mimetic posted:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/21/dark-souls-2-pc-tweaking-guide/

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/24/dark-souls-2-modded-durantes-gedosato-enables-downsampling-texture-modding/

Be aware, you've got to have a pretty good machine to do the stuff in the first one. I've just got a 560ti in my machine and doing the tweaks dropped me from 60 fps to 30. In the end I decided framerate was better than fancy anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering.

Thanks guys, I'll give these a look.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Barfing Cumlord posted:

Speaking of it, the only time I had a lot of difficulty figuring out where to go next was after getting the King's Ring, since the Emerald Herald tells you very specifically to go open the King's Gate, which is the name of the bonfire right next to the Throne of Want. Of course I go do that, kill the throne twins, and nothing happens, no indication you're supposed to go to Aldia's first.

Shalquoir and Nashandra supplement the Herald's directions in the endgame. For example, after getting the item you mention, Shalquoir tells you to head east and find the Ancient Dragon; both she and Nashandra also tell you to visit the giant memories after getting the Ashen Mist Heart.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I know the discussion about dex builds was like 5 pages ago but I wanted to comment on it because its one of the things I actually like a lot about DS 2.

Yes, the scaling on dex weapons sucks. Yes, your better off using a str weapon most of the time. However, the agile playstyle you typically associate with dex characters is still viable, and I'd say its actually better than it was in DS 1. Parrying isn't as useful but the aggressive, fast paced shieldless style is. I've been going through basically the whole game without using a shield. I'm not doing it because I want to challenge myself, I'm doing it because I don't feel I need it. Rolling is better now and blocking isn't the catch all solution to nearly every enemy. In Dark Souls if I wasn't using a shield in melee, I felt like I was handicapping myself. I don't feel that way now. I'm having a lot of fun ducking and weaving between attacks and its gotten me through almost the entire game. There are a few bottleneck areas where doing this is difficult, but in these areas you can usually parry the enemies!

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I feel like a dolt for not getting this, but after hearing the internet scream about how OP hex builds were, I made my first character a hexer- 30 int, 30 faith, and the staff and armor you get from the first hex trainer when you hit 20/20. Thus far, I'm thoroughly underwhelmed at my damage output and get consistently better numbers with pure int spells than with hexes. Should I stick with it and wait for all the Dark synergies to kick in, or should I just burn a soul vessel and respec into the classic and less stat-intensive dex/int?

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

My gamepad's right analog stick isn't being recognized for camera control, instead it treats it like strong/weak attack. So I can't control the camera with my gamepad. Is there a way to fix this that anyone knows of?

Several pages back, but I had the same problem with mine. Does your controller have a little switch behind it that can change how some of the buttons work? I flipped it, unplugged and replugged it and the buttons were mostly the same as in DS1.

Edit: I just found out about the no dying / no bonfire rings. I'll never 100% complete this game. :smith:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Two points. gently caress the Belfry Gargs. I'm getting so loving close and then that sweep-slam move always catches me and it basically one-shots me. Second. gently caress rapiers. I get stunlocked to death as soon as I get hit.

And a third one. Its hilarious how many people you can guardbreak->riposte in PvP. They don't know what the gently caress.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Omi no Kami posted:

I feel like a dolt for not getting this, but after hearing the internet scream about how OP hex builds were, I made my first character a hexer- 30 int, 30 faith, and the staff and armor you get from the first hex trainer when you hit 20/20. Thus far, I'm thoroughly underwhelmed at my damage output and get consistently better numbers with pure int spells than with hexes. Should I stick with it and wait for all the Dark synergies to kick in, or should I just burn a soul vessel and respec into the classic and less stat-intensive dex/int?

Are you using Great Resonant Soul?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

TheNightReaver posted:

Those waiting for help for Rat Authority can stop waiting, it seems you can't place any summon sign in that pvp zone. I just nuked the rat from a distance. Turns out 3 Sunlight spears get him to 1/4th of his health.

Also, a silly ratbro summoned me to his world. Poor thing...he sicked two mammoths at me, both down with a sunlight spear each, and then he decided to come to me...***through the water***. A sunlight spear to the face and he disintegrated. :feelsgood:

On a weird note, having region restriction off and playing at weird ours makes you get summoned by all sorts of asian folk. After I nuked the Iron King with lightning, the two clearly Japanese dudes I was playing with postrated to me...I felt so awkward and guilty for the rest of the day :(

I got one dude trying to spam Lightning spears at everything when I was finishing off the Rat covenant in Doors of Pharros earlier today, might that have been you? It's incredible how many cheap kills you can get with Chameleon and Soul Spear.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

This game is weird. A bunch of DLC weapons were just included even though I didn't preorder/buy whatever special edition. Now when I load my game I get a message about it not being able to find the DLC so my items are gone, but yet I still have them.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
Sorcerer pvp seems like the most low effort bullshit in the game. Cast soul orbs, lock on and lob soul spears my way. I'm not bitter, I swear. :cry:

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
I missed out on summoning Pate for the first boss because I barely played the first game and didn't remember that was a thing you can do. So I searched around before what I would find out to be the Dragonrider and found a Masterless Glen-somethingorother. Was he an NPC? He seemed pretty strong, and it seems like an NPC like name..

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Why won't people summon me? Please summon me, I want my humanity back...

Didn't realize I had found a Magic Mace, just upgrade it and am now doing over 200 damage per swing... one handed.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Omi no Kami posted:

Have you infused your staff/chime with Dark?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've had a lot of luck focusing on sorcery and pyromancy with a side of hexes. I use a magic-infused archdrake's staff at the moment (I like it over the sunset staff because I can cast spells faster, though once I get the faith I'll probably make it a dark staff). Heavy soul arrow, Dark Hail, Great Combustion, Flame Swathe, then some situational spell like flash sweat or homing soul arrow and I'm mostly melting things, and I can't even use soul spears or resonant soul yet. I'll never use Firestorm though out of fear of hitting an npc I didn't see or something, or the enemy just walking between the fire pillars.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mimetic posted:

I joined the ratbro covenant and holy poo poo am I having a good time. I'm chilling out in the first room of Doors of Pharros while alt-tabbed, tabbing back in when my controller vibrates (and shakes my whole desk :v:), and then wrecking the summoned dudes with my powerstanced great clubs. This game is great.

Ratbro pvp is by far the best pvp. :colbert:

Internet Kraken posted:

I know the discussion about dex builds was like 5 pages ago but I wanted to comment on it because its one of the things I actually like a lot about DS 2.

Yes, the scaling on dex weapons sucks. Yes, your better off using a str weapon most of the time. However, the agile playstyle you typically associate with dex characters is still viable, and I'd say its actually better than it was in DS 1. Parrying isn't as useful but the aggressive, fast paced shieldless style is. I've been going through basically the whole game without using a shield. I'm not doing it because I want to challenge myself, I'm doing it because I don't feel I need it. Rolling is better now and blocking isn't the catch all solution to nearly every enemy. In Dark Souls if I wasn't using a shield in melee, I felt like I was handicapping myself. I don't feel that way now. I'm having a lot of fun ducking and weaving between attacks and its gotten me through almost the entire game. There are a few bottleneck areas where doing this is difficult, but in these areas you can usually parry the enemies!

I feel overall both blocking and rolling are less powerful than they were in Dark Souls 1 (fewer 100% shields, two stats to maintain for rolls, less invincibility)

Also dual-wield being a viable thing and not just a way to show off or suck is a really good change that changes PvP big time. And I think lots of the dex weapons are almost intended to be power stanced.

I agree that in all of DS1 I felt I needed a shield, but now I don't feel like I'm going way out of my way for a gimmick build if I'm not using a shield.

Omi no Kami posted:

I did feel like int and sorcery were more powerful in NG compared to hexes, or at least towards the end of the game when you have 100+ levels.

Feel free to respec, you can always respec back to hexes later!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Is the run button kind of buggered for anyone else when running long distance? it always works fine on the initial stamina drain part but then there's a serious delay between pressing it and running again once stamina recharges.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

Is the run button kind of buggered for anyone else when running long distance? it always works fine on the initial stamina drain part but then there's a serious delay between pressing it and running again once stamina recharges.

It's not a bug. If you let your stamina drop completely, you won't be able to run again til it recharges.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ChaosArgate posted:

It's not a bug. If you let your stamina drop completely, you won't be able to run again til it recharges.

There's a delay between when your stamina bar fully recharges from completely empty, to being able to run again. Basically just don't let your stamina bar drain all the way when running.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ChaosArgate posted:

I suspected that might be the case, so I tried letting off before it drained and it was still really titchy when reengaging. I'm sure it's probably user error just like everything else in this game though, I'll keep experimenting.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

Intentional. You need to manage your stamina and not ever let it run out all the way. If you do, you're extra punished and you can't use stamina for a second.

Its even worse in Monster Hunter, if you run out of stamina you have to bend over and catch your breath, although that also makes it more clear what's going on.

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

I suspected that might be the case, so I tried letting off before it drained and it was still really titchy when reengaging. I'm sure it's probably user error just like everything else in this game though, I'll keep experimenting.

Yeah the controls take a lot of getting used to across the board.

In DS1 I was constantly jumping when I wanted to roll and rolling when I wanted to jump. Thank goodness you can change the controls in DS2 (although some people prefer it the old way, hah!)

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I haven't infused my weapons yet, and I haven't been using resonant soul purely because I'm a cheap A-hole who doesn't want to burn even 100 souls in an attack- I should note that I'm only at the very beginning of the game- I just got to the bosses in huntsman's copse and lost bastille, so I'm barely beyond beginner equipment.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

I haven't infused my weapons yet, and I haven't been using resonant soul purely because I'm a cheap A-hole who doesn't want to burn even 100 souls in an attack- I should note that I'm only at the very beginning of the game- I just got to the bosses in huntsman's copse and lost bastille, so I'm barely beyond beginner equipment.

Yeah, you may wanna switch for now. Then again, you don't find any great pure int staves for awhile.

Dark Weapon infusion would help, but it'll be a minute before you can do infusions.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Omi no Kami posted:

Just as a heads up Resonant hexes need a chime, not a staff, so it's fine if you just respec into a Dex/Int build for now.

Happyloony
Oct 19, 2012
Im doing an INT/Hex/Faith build and I'm right at the beginning. Is Archdrake staff and chime worth it?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Are weapon enchant spells flat damage or are they based on your catalyst?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Happyloony posted:

Im doing an INT/Hex/Faith build and I'm right at the beginning. Is Archdrake staff and chime worth it?

They're pretty good because they have B scaling for their respective uses. I wouldn't recommend upgrading them because you can get better stuff, but they're worth buying.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why is it so hard to give a person dark skin that doesn't look hosed up in these games? I remember having the same problem in Dark Souls where every time I tried to make the general skin tone darker the cheeks become incredibly pale.

Happyloony
Oct 19, 2012

neetengie posted:

They're pretty good because they have B scaling for their respective uses. I wouldn't recommend upgrading them because you can get better stuff, but they're worth buying.

Alright thanks! Any recommendation on which weapons I should look for to replace them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Internet Kraken posted:

Why is it so hard to give a person dark skin that doesn't look hosed up in these games? I remember having the same problem in Dark Souls where every time I tried to make the general skin tone darker the cheeks become incredibly pale.

they don't have black people in japan