Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

neetengie posted:

Are you using Great Resonant Soul?

This. My impression is that when people say how much they love hexes they're not talking about the dark spells you might use to get through a PVE level, but the pay2play PVP and boss spells (Resonant). However, regular hexes do a little bit of knockback and stamina damage too so that's good...sometimes. :shrug:

I only use hexes to enchant my fist and for my pulling attack (DURKURB).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Happyloony posted:

Alright thanks! Any recommendation on which weapons I should look for to replace them?

When you get 20/20 in Int and Faith talk to Felkin for a good Staff that's A/S for it's respective stats, and in Drangleic Castle when you need to activate the elevator for unlocking the door to Looking Glass Knight on the path out of there, there should be a Hex dedicated Chime called Caitha's Chime. A scaling normally with S if upgraded fully.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Rolling with whips is actually staggeringly fun even if they're aren't that great. A bit sad that I can just switch to a basic club and mash things into paste while it takes a good number of hits with a rather upgraded whip just to do the same damage.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Using a +10 mace. I see that infusion reduces the stat rating. I'm wondering is infusion always beneficial? I'm trying to figure out what would be ideal since A rating is really nice

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Tracula posted:

Rolling with whips is actually staggeringly fun even if they're aren't that great. A bit sad that I can just switch to a basic club and mash things into paste while it takes a good number of hits with a rather upgraded whip just to do the same damage.

if a whip did the same damage as a big fuckoff club per hit there'd be a lot less reason to use a club wouldn't there?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Finished the game.

Some (no doubt unpopular) opinions:

I honestly don't know how to feel about DaS2. It's technically a good game but it doesn't feel like a truly worthy successor to DaS1. The interconnected world and "holistic feel" to it just aren't there. It also seems to suffer a lot from what I can only assume is fanboyism for it's predecessor - Like the modern Simpsons episodes, there are many obvious parts modeled after the original. Sometimes it works, often it feels trite. Perhaps the game would've been better served with less connection to the original.

Telling a new story instead of telling a story on the back of the old one might have been better. The ending certainly didn't feel as satisfying, especially with no choice to make. Heck, many NPCs just come off as wilfully obtuse since the player is aware that those guys know more than they're letting on, especially the Emerald Herald.

Another thing is... There's just too much of everything. Too many areas (some of which suffered quality-wise as a result), too many bosses of which about two thirds are just dudes in armor with big slow attacks, too many consumables that you never really use, too many weapons that end up being overshadowed by a handful extremely good ones (Looking at you, Fire Mace +10), too many talking NPCs that kill any sense of isolation you might have had and so forth.

It's a very good game despite all this but it's still the lesser Dark Souls.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Callick posted:

if a whip did the same damage as a big fuckoff club per hit there'd be a lot less reason to use a club wouldn't there?

Eh, I may have misspoke there a bit. It's just that whips feel a lot more technical to use with lower returns when a simple club that I'm not even statted for just does a hell of a lot more damage with a lot less work.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Tracula posted:

Doesn't the Old Whip do kind of absurd damage? Maybe get that whip, then skip DEX just and put an enchantment on it. I like the idea of a lightning or fire whip.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Minorkos posted:

Doesn't the Old Whip do kind of damage? Maybe get that whip, then skip DEX just and put an enchantment on it. I like the idea of a lightning or fire whip.

The old whip does absolutely insane damage but it breaks so fast that you need to use repair powers every 10 attacks or so.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Soul memory :(, I've co-oped so much I'm at 3.5m in memory and don't get summoned nearly as much anymore.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Tracula posted:

The old whip does absolutely insane damage but it breaks so fast that you need to use repair powers every 10 attacks or so.

:shrug:

I guess you could always use some other whips power stanced, I'd imagine that's pretty good for PvE. Then use the Old Whip if you're at a boss or a tuff enemy. I don't know.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Azuth0667 posted:

Soul memory :(, I've co-oped so much I'm at 3.5m in memory and don't get summoned nearly as much anymore.

Are you in NG+ yet? If not it still shouldn't be that hard with NPC summons for boss fights, or just soloing them in general.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Shieldless melee is so much fun. Will have to grab screenshots of my armour set later - she looks like a demented prisoner who snapped free of her bonds. :3:

Also, is there a reliable source for titanite chunks before the end game, and other than the Bellbro covenant? I've almost maxed the Sunbro loyalty so I can change, but still.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

Shieldless melee is so much fun. Will have to grab screenshots of my armour set later - she looks like a demented prisoner who snapped free of her bonds. :3:

Also, is there a reliable source for titanite chunks before the end game, and other than the Bellbro covenant? I've almost maxed the Sunbro loyalty so I can change, but still.

No, after killing Velstadt you only get 6 from Chloanne, but once you beat the game it's unlimited for 6000 a pop.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Minorkos posted:

:shrug:

I guess you could always use some other whips power stanced, I'd imagine that's pretty good for PvE. Then use the Old Whip if you're at a boss or a tuff enemy. I don't know.

It's not really a big deal, it just felt a bit noticeable going through areas using them compared to basically a stick. They're not bad by any means just a little underwhelming.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

neetengie posted:

Are you in NG+ yet? If not it still shouldn't be that hard with NPC summons for boss fights, or just soloing them in general.

No I'm still in NG, this is my first character and I want to see as much as possible before I do another play through. I have four bosses left before I've beat them all on of which is an rear end in a top hat in a shrine, even though its funny to watch the rare summon I get be insta-gibbed upon entry.

E: I should elaborate, its like I'm being punished for helping other people get through boss fights. I would rather not get any souls at all than have my soul memory increase to a point where I can't co-op on this guy anymore. I hope they rework the mechanic.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Not really, no. The Gyrm in Doors of Pharros are supposed to have a decent drop rate of them, but other than that there isn't a great way to get Chunks until late game.

The good news is there is no penalty to switching covenants (no sin, your progress stays the same).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

A few things drop them. I know the hand things from Black Gulch can drop chunks. It's not reliable though, you're better off just being a bellboy for a while.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Cool, figured as such. Thanks guys. I'll get the last couple of sun medals and then go PVP.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

turtlecrunch posted:

This. My impression is that when people say how much they love hexes they're not talking about the dark spells you might use to get through a PVE level, but the pay2play PVP and boss spells (Resonant). However, regular hexes do a little bit of knockback and stamina damage too so that's good...sometimes. :shrug:

I only use hexes to enchant my fist and for my pulling attack (DURKURB).

I've found Dark Fog/Dark Orb and even Dark Hail to be useful in PvE. Fog is fantastic on enemies it effects, and Orb is certainly a good option when you need a single target ranged nuke. Mind you, most of my general fighting comes from dual wielding maces, but hexes are certainly useful outside of bosses/pvp.

Mind you, you could spend those attunement slots on miracles as well, which might be a bit more PvE useful what with all the healing. I still like carrying Dark fog at least.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Azuth0667 posted:

No I'm still in NG, this is my first character and I want to see as much as possible before I do another play through. I have four bosses left before I've beat them all on of which is an rear end in a top hat in a shrine, even though its funny to watch the rare summon I get be insta-gibbed upon entry.

E: I should elaborate, its like I'm being punished for helping other people get through boss fights. I would rather not get any souls at all than have my soul memory increase to a point where I can't co-op on this guy anymore. I hope they rework the mechanic.

I'm not sure what squatting in one place and co-oping on the same boss over and over again is letting you see.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Domattee posted:

Yeah just tested it too and it doesn't increment. No idea how I got that extra 1M SM :psyduck:

If you killed two SL850 hacker invaders you'd get just under 500k souls from each of them. That happened to me.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Pwnstar posted:

Are weapon enchant spells flat damage or are they based on your catalyst?

They add a flat +50 damage and then multiply all damage of that type by 1.3. So, like, if you have an uninfused weapon that does 100 physical damage, CMW adds 50 magic damage and then increases that 50 by 30%, for a total of 65 magic damage plus the 100 physical; if you have a magic weapon that does 100 magic damage, CMW adds 50 to that and then increases that 150 by 30%, for a total of 195.

Resonant Weapon is unique in that it lasts less time (60s vs 90s) but has a 50% increase in dark damage instead of 30%.

e: in contrast, resins just add damage and don't do any multiplying, so on uninfused weapons they're equivalent to the buffs

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I give up. I just cannot get the parrying down at all. These archdrake enemies swing too fast for me to catch on the proper timing. Either I parry too fast, or too late. :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Where are Awestones actually acquired from? I was under the impression they dropped from bosses killed while in the covenant, but that didn't seem to be the case this morning when I finally beat the Ruin Sentinels.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010
So just out of curiosity, I want to try out ENB/GeDoSaTo but in the interest of playing it safe: do we know what enables VAC? If so, do I need to launch Steam in offline mode, or will never connecting to the Dark Souls 2 server suffice (i.e. unplug my ethernet cable during launch, but reconnect it afterwards)?

Ciaphas posted:

Where are Awestones actually acquired from? I was under the impression they dropped from bosses killed while in the covenant, but that didn't seem to be the case this morning when I finally beat the Ruin Sentinels.

The only guaranteed way to acquire Awestones is from NPC/player invasions. Black phantom NPCs that are just statically in the world in NG+ do not count.

Several enemies can drop them, bosses can drop them, but it's just a chance.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Umberger posted:

The only guaranteed way to acquire Awestones is from NPC/player invasions. Black phantom NPCs that are just statically in the world in NG+ do not count.

Several enemies can drop them, bosses can drop them, but it's just a chance.

Wwwwwelp, that's pricked a hole in my interest in staying in that covenant. Wonder when I'm gonna find the Sunbros.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is there an upper limit on who you'll fight in a red soapstone summon or is it pretty much anything goes?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I'm making a start on a mundane build and planning on more jolly cooperation this time around. If you see a fat fellow named Jolly Bill dressed like a conquistador, give him a summon, he's happy to help.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pwnstar posted:

Are weapon enchant spells flat damage or are they based on your catalyst?

I'm not sure and I've been meaning to test it.

Either way though it stacks and gives a bonus to base weapon elemental damage, so like casting magic weapon on a weapon with magic or enchanted infusion is extra good, and the more magic/fire/lightning/dark scaling it has the better.

Happyloony posted:

Alright thanks! Any recommendation on which weapons I should look for to replace them?

There's a wizard staff from the wizards in shrine of anime that's really good. And an even better one from... I want to say dragon zone.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm not sure and I've been meaning to test it.

Either way though it stacks and gives a bonus to base weapon elemental damage, so like casting magic weapon on a weapon with magic or enchanted infusion is extra good, and the more magic/fire/lightning/dark scaling it has the better.

Oh man. In that case Lightning +10 Bastard Sword with Sunlight Blade on it is going to be awesome.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Artificer posted:

Oh man. In that case Lightning +10 Bastard Sword with Sunlight Blade on it is going to be awesome.

Yes. :black101: Its crazy good.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

turtlecrunch posted:

I'm not sure what squatting in one place and co-oping on the same boss over and over again is letting you see.

Friendship. It lets us see friendship. :colbert:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes. :black101: Its crazy good.

As soon I get infusions I'm respeccing for minimum stats to wield the sword and putting the other points into Faith and Attunement, then.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Ugh. I've just reached the big open room in the centre of Iron Keep and that's me done for the night, since they've put what are basically the Anor Londo greatbow snipers in.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

There's a wizard staff from the wizards in shrine of anime that's really good. And an even better one from... I want to say dragon zone.

The best pure Sorcery staff is Staff of Wisdom. You'll find it in the Dragon Shrine, in a chest behind a secret wall (requires you to use a Pharros Lockstone, it's not far from the bonfire, underneath a staircase). It can be infused with Magic to make it even stronger. Unlike the previous "best catalyst" items (Tin Crystallization Catalyst, Insanity Catalyst) there is no penalty to the Staff of Wisdom aside from it being unable to cast Hexes, but by the time you have SoW you really should have switched to Great/Resonant Soul over Dark Orb.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Do dual caestus have a power stance and if so, how much str/dex do I need to use it?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I'm still getting this bug where when I'm summoned it takes literally minutes to load, then once it finishes loading it immediately disconnects. That or it just never stops loading.

Anyone know what might be causing this? It makes it impossible to co-op.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Internet Kraken posted:

Do dual caestus have a power stance and if so, how much str/dex do I need to use it?

Yes, and it's awesome. You need 1.5 the requirements, I forget what exactly but I know the warrior class can dual wield it out of the gate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I'm upset there isn't any hammer maces to go with my Paladin.