Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
edit: caught up, nothing to see here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fried Chicken posted:

Because being idiots toting guns around and intimidating people doesn't warrant more than a talking to

The gently caress it doesn't!

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Just come to Colorado, it's like Texas but the state doesn't suck from a geographic, climate, or political standpoint.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, whatever fascist.

Anyways, papers please.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Radbot posted:

Just come to Colorado, it's like Texas but the state doesn't suck from a geographic, climate, or political standpoint.
So it's completely unlike Texas?

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
I think the militia is just following Bundy where ever he goes and lack the concept of tact.

"Family going to church? Well we better have 30 people in the parking lot with assault rifles. Can't be too careful."

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

CheesyDog posted:

Exactly what do you think should be happening? Passively carrying guns is legal assuming you have the proper permit and are doing it in an area that the property owner has not barred them from. If both parties are obeying the law but discomfort is arising, the solution is to talk it out. What is your solution, arrest people obeying the law?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Radbot posted:

Do they have HEBs? This is important.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

So, this is all super depressing. We need a bit of lighter news.

Apparently, Santorum was told by "Obama's minions" that he would have beaten Obama because all the people with jobs would have voted for him.

Personally, whoever managed to say that with a straight face deserved a raise.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

CheesyDog posted:

No, FC is exactly right. Being a chucklefuck within the limits of the law doesn't warrant a law enforcement response beyond 'hey you're being a dick, please stop.'

I really hope the checkpoints thing doesn't pan out, because if it does then they literally have to make an armed response, and if they do this is going to get really ugly. Like not just that it'll be the new Waco and rallying cry for these idiots, but because being stupid and ignorant is no reason for people to die.

E: Random thought - any idea how a show of overwhelming force would go over? Like these people assumedly don't have access to anti-armor weaponry. If the checkpoint thing is true (and thus an armed response is literally required), why not roll in with a column of Abrams and say 'disperse, you jackasses. You are breaking the law and we are not loving around.' I can't decide whether the 'reasonable' (ie less crazy) ones would go home grumbling about gubmint and statists or if they'd try to bunker down.

Magres fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 29, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Capfalcon posted:

Personally, whoever managed to say that with a straight face deserved a raise.

I disagree. I don't think Rick Santorum deserves a raise. :colbert:

The fake secret meeting with the "Obama minions" is almost as funny as the actual meeting between him and Gingrich where they tried to form a unity ticket to beat Romney, but couldn't agree on who would get to be President.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

No article yet because it is from The Atlantic Conference live tweets, but Kerry just went off on the rest of NATO about how only Turkey is honoring the 2% pledge and the rest of them need to obey the treaty and increase defense spending.

Given that the current gap in what is dictated by treaty and what the US spends works out to the US government cutting every individual in the NATO countries a $600 check each year, I'm totally cool with making them pony up so we can scale back. We should stop projecting power alone, they should pick up the slack

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

1stGear posted:

Ahahahahaha literally "Its cool guys, drunk sex or sex you were coerced into isn't rape or anything."
AAAAAAnd reddit is going whole hog :mrapig: on the video. That place really is a poo poo hole now.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Magres posted:

I really hope the checkpoints thing doesn't pan out, because if it does then they literally have to make an armed response, and if they do this is going to get really ugly. Like not just that it'll be the new Waco and rallying cry for these idiots, but because being stupid and ignorant is no reason for people to die.

E: Random thought - any idea how a show of overwhelming force would go over? Like these people assumedly don't have access to anti-armor weaponry. If the checkpoint thing is true (and thus an armed response is literally required), why not roll in with a column of Abrams and say 'disperse, you jackasses. You are breaking the law and we are not loving around.'
I agree with your edit, I think that's the way to go if they're setting up armed checkpoint on public roads. Send some folks on TV talking about preparing the drone strikes and show the column of Abrams heading their way on the highway. Explain that the current plan is to negotiate until nightfall and if the militia isn't dispersed the plan is to go in with the armor and drones (whether they actually plan to or not) at 11pm.

The armchair general in me says start that media push about an hour before the tanks arrive because the worst thing that could happen is the militia decides rather than hiding behind their wives and daughters, they could kidnap a bunch of people at their checkpoints and hide behind them.

I realize it would make politics difficult and possibly ruin Obama's entire legacy depending on how it goes down, but I for one don't want to live in a country where public passage could ever be controlled by warlords militias.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Seriously, if they've set up armed checkpoints and are forcing vehicles to stop, that's really hosed up and demands a state/federal response.

Talmonis posted:

I know, they could start using sound warfare. Just blast Pit Bull and NWA at them 24 hours a day until they start going stark raving mad.

Killer Mike on continuous loop.

e:

Cabbit posted:

Do they have HEBs? This is important.

:cool::respek::cool:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Magres posted:

E: Random thought - any idea how a show of overwhelming force would go over? Like these people assumedly don't have access to anti-armor weaponry. If the checkpoint thing is true (and thus an armed response is literally required), why not roll in with a column of Abrams and say 'disperse, you jackasses. You are breaking the law and we are not loving around.' I can't decide whether the 'reasonable' (ie less crazy) ones would go home grumbling about gubmint and statists or if they'd try to bunker down.

They'd pop the biggest boners of their lives and start chanting "Charge of the light brigade".

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

wixard posted:

I agree with your edit, I think that's the way to go if they're setting up armed checkpoint on public roads. Send some folks on TV talking about preparing the drone strikes and show the column of Abrams heading their way on the highway. Explain that the current plan is to negotiate until nightfall and if the militia isn't dispersed the plan is to go in with the armor and drones (whether they actually plan to or not) at 11pm.

The armchair general in me says start that media push about an hour before the tanks arrive because the worst thing that could happen is the militia decides rather than hiding behind their wives and daughters, they could kidnap a bunch of people at their checkpoints and hide behind them.

I realize it would make politics difficult and possibly ruin Obama's entire legacy depending on how it goes down, but I for one don't want to live in a country where public passage could ever be controlled by warlords militias.

Do a find and replace of "Obama" with "Israel" and "militia" with "Palestinians" and this could be a Freep post dude.

If the reports of checkpoints turn out to be true as part of a planned pattern of action a federal response to restore rule of law is required. Realistically, that response will probably involve force. But let's not fetishize the death of people. It isn't a healthy road to go down, as a country or as an individual.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Crain posted:

They'd pop the biggest boners of their lives and start chanting "Charge of the light brigade".

Like any of them have even heard of Tennyson.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Fried Chicken posted:

No article yet because it is from The Atlantic Conference live tweets, but Kerry just went off on the rest of NATO about how only Turkey is honoring the 2% pledge and the rest of them need to obey the treaty and increase defense spending.

Given that the current gap in what is dictated by treaty and what the US spends works out to the US government cutting every individual in the NATO countries a $600 check each year, I'm totally cool with making them pony up so we can scale back. We should stop projecting power alone, they should pick up the slack
Man, I would love it if other NATO members had a military worth a drat. Like you say, it'd allow us to cut back a bit on our own military spending, and it'd let them have some power projection capabilities so future military interventions could rely less on us.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

AP is saying a judge just struck down Wisconsin voter ID law
https://twitter.com/ap/status/461210558268977152

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Fried Chicken posted:

Do a find and replace of "Obama" with "Israel" and "militia" with "Palestinians" and this could be a Freep post dude.

If the reports of checkpoints turn out to be true as part of a planned pattern of action a federal response to restore rule of law is required. Realistically, that response will probably involve force. But let's not fetishize the death of people. It isn't a healthy road to go down, as a country or as an individual.
I didn't wish death on anyone, I think threatening force that those military fetishists know for a fact they can't legitimately fight against is the best way to disperse them without firing any shots. Obviously ignoring them isn't working out, and I think you're overly optimistic if you think they're going to sit down at a table and negotiate with the federal government.

Again, this is all assuming they're on public roads with rifles.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know maybe I'm crazy but forcing the federal government to back down with a heavily armed posse means you AREN'T LAW ABIDING

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Governor (who they're trying to impeach) vetoed it last year, so the Missouri House decided to try again and has passed a law banning state and local officials from adopting any policy tied to Agenda 21.

quote:

“In a nutshell, the [Agenda 21] plan calls for governments to take control of all land use and not leave any of the decision making in the hands of private property owners,” The Post-Sustainability Institute, a think-tank designed to rally awareness and action regarding Agenda 21, said on its website.

“[Agenda 21] is a whole life plan. It involves the educational system, the energy market, the transportation system, the governmental system, the health care system, food production, and more. The plan is to restrict your choices, limit your funds, narrow your freedoms, and take away your voice.”

And, sure, it was adopted by the UN in 1992, but they're gonna seize all that sweet, sweet Missouri land aaaaaaaany day now, so we must remain vigilant!

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

AP is saying a judge just struck down Wisconsin voter ID law
https://twitter.com/ap/status/461210558268977152
Nice. Also, crosspost from the right wing media thread (I'm borrowing Tatum Girlparts's post):

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So, Sterling lost the Clippers.

Who's yet to record a show, Rush and Hannity? I imagine that'll be a focus.
loving awesome. Here we go!

CNN (Yeah, yeah CNN) posted:

The National Basketball Association has banned Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling from basketball for life and fined him $2.5 million racist remarks attributed to him in recordings posted online, NBA Commissioner Adam Silver announced Tuesday.
:getin:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The right is already countering the Sterling story by informing people how the majority of black NBA players are dead beat dads and wife abusers.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I think Wixard and I are on the same wavelength here, and the entire reasoning behind my "tanks, maybe?" edit was hoping for a way to do an armed intervention that doesn't kill a bunch of people, or minimizes casualties if people do die. I'm not wishing death on anyone and was genuinely approaching it from a "I don't want to be an armchair general, so people who know what they're talking about, would this work as a way to resolve this without homicide?" viewpoint.

E: this is regarding FC's post on "death fetishizing" but I'm phone posting and quoting is hard. I'll fix it when I get home.

E2: hahahahaha get wrecked David Sterling, get wrecked forever

Magres fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 29, 2014

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

CheesyDog posted:

You know maybe I'm crazy but forcing the federal government to back down with a heavily armed posse means you AREN'T LAW ABIDING
It's like a classic sign of insanity. "I'm the real law-abiding one! Can't you see?! Everyone is non-law-abiding except me!"

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

wixard posted:

I didn't wish death on anyone, I think threatening force that those military fetishists know for a fact they can't legitimately fight against is the best way to disperse them without firing any shots. Obviously ignoring them isn't working out, and I think you're overly optimistic if you think they're going to sit down at a table and negotiate with the federal government.

Again, this is all assuming they're on public roads with rifles.

Using the military for law enforcement is a terrible idea.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

CheesyDog posted:

But what if you don't recognize the existence of the federal government? Checkmate, statists. :smugissar:

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Nonsense posted:

The right is already countering the Sterling story by informing people how the majority of black NBA players are dead beat dads and wife abusers.

Got any links to these?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Joementum posted:

It does if you don't recognize the existence of the federal government. Checkmate, statists. :smugissar:
I love "statist," it's such a mushy word.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

fade5 posted:

Nice. Also, crosspost from the right wing media thread (I'm borrowing Tatum Girlparts's post):

loving awesome. Here we go!

:getin:

I want this to end with Magic Johnson as the new owner :getin:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

But using the National Guard to disperse an armed militia illegally stopping/harassing/detaining people is pretty legit. In fact, that's the exact sort of thing it's for.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Fried Chicken posted:

I thought he played for the Lakers?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Nessus posted:

I love "statist," it's such a mushy word.

It never fails to amuse me when Sovereign Citizen-types toss it around as if it's some sort of stinging rebuke which ought make me stop and re-examine my life. "Oh god he's right! I like living in a state, with an established government capable of doing things which at least hypothetically facilitate the functioning of society! How ever did I sink so low?!

Occupy Sesame Street!
Nov 20, 2012

Tanks are possibly the worst kind of armed response anyone could give these people. Actual operational problems aside, can you imagine the massive persecution boner it would give the far right? They'd start painting this batshit militia as the American equivalent of Tank Man.

I don't want to be an armchair general either, but I know we've got plenty of response options that aren't "point cannons at them until they give up." Probably a fair few that have less chance of turning into Waco, too.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Fried Chicken posted:

He is already part of the group that owns the Los Angeles Dodgers, and there are conflict of interest provisions that prevent someone from owning shares in two sports franchises in the same market. So yeah, doubtful.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Talmonis posted:

I thought he played for the Lakers?

He did, but he has also grappled with Sterling about other issues (eg the housing stuff Sterling owns) for decades since he retired and got into activism. Plus Sterling slammed him recently.

Take away Sterling's team, give it to the guy who will piss him off the most (and is a decent human being)

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

JT Jag posted:

He is already part of the group that owns the Los Angeles Dodgers, and there are conflict of interest provisions that prevent someone from owning shares in two sports franchises in the same market. So yeah, doubtful.

I thought that to be in the same market you had to be the same sport in addition to the same region

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

At least the military understands trigger discipline but yes that's true.

• Locked thread