Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I always thought it was more "Israel is in the Bible, so it's good" than a future-focused milennarian thing. Is there some evidence otherwise I could read?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Kellsterik posted:

I always thought it was more "Israel is in the Bible, so it's good" than a future-focused milennarian thing. Is there some evidence otherwise I could read?

The Book of Revelations :v:

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008

Kellsterik posted:

I think it's a bit of both, really. There are some higher-profile nutjob preachers like John Hagee who go on about Israel and end-times prophesy, but I don't know how much of a following they have.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

What IS this?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Big Beef City posted:

What IS this?

Pretty sure that's this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IAC_Building

It's really neat.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Install Windows, no...I don't think it's come to that.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

handbanana125 posted:

Not to break up the Bundy chat, but here's another Conservative hero going off and saying something incredibly stupid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7vdAlzh-jo

For someone running on a Christian platform, it is weird how she related Baptism, THE big sacrament with the torture and degradation of her/the state's "enemies". Like this whole thing is just so weird and gross that I cannot for the life of me see where she is coming from. I think the juxtaposition of that comment goes quite a ways in exposing the double standards that area of the political world has setup for itself.

Yeah, it's Palin so gaffes and stupid poo poo are her go-to thing when stumping around but holy poo poo. I never post in here, so perhaps my way of putting this clip out is a little clumsy, but goddamn this was like a punch in the balls, even for someone who lives in a hugely conservative state.

Not to mention the loaded Christian hegemony of forcing a 'baptism' on people who are largely muslims.

I'm sure the Christian dominionists she was blowing the dog-whistle at were getting their Pavlov slobber on.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Mark Levin was going absolutely apeshit about the Kerry apartheid comments if anyone was still wondering. Like, more angry than usual.

Apparently if you support a two-state solution you are an anti-Semite. who knew.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Apparently if you support a two-state solution you are an anti-Semite. who knew.

You're an anti-Semite if you hold any other position than eradicating all Muslims.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Kellsterik posted:

Melani McAlister's Epic Encounters does a pretty good job covering the eschatological basis for American support for Israel.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I really don't understand how pro-Israel people love to poo poo on the domesticated, shifty-eyed, media controlling hebe; however, our support of Israel is of the most important thing since sliced bread.

*posts pictures of women in the IDF*

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

One of the two are actively killing Arabs.

The End Times stuff has seemingly gone more underground, when I was a kid it was much more prevalent in religious news media. I don't really see why they would want to prevent the Tribulation, since it all has to happen before Jesus comes back anyway. Unless they think they're delaying the second coming by supporting Isreal, to buy more time before Christ weighs their shriveled hearts.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Isn't Levin a dual citizen of the United States and Israel?

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Japan is to weeaboos as Israel is to Tom Clancy readers.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Mark Levin was going absolutely apeshit about the Kerry apartheid comments if anyone was still wondering. Like, more angry than usual.

Mark Levin has said several times that the term neoconservative is inherently anti-semitic, so all liberals and libertarians are automatically anti-semites.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Star Man posted:

You're an anti-Semite if you hold any other position than eradicating all Non Jewish Semitic People.

Fixed that for you.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

emptyspace posted:

I think it's a bit of both, really. There are some higher-profile nutjob preachers like John Hagee who go on about Israel and end-times prophesy, but I don't know how much of a following they have.

I always get the impression that the biblical end-times angle for support of Israel is more of an ad-hoc rationalization. Israel is important to the American political right-wing and its population is largely made up of a bunch of white westerners and eastern europeans as opposed to those other people from the middle east therefore god must approve for some reason oh hey here's this dominionist nonsense that'll work.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Republicans get really excited when two of their disparate interest groups find a natural place to come together rather than having to come up with complicated stupid reasons for doing so. Israel is a decent one between religious kooks and neo-con military fetishists.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Republicans get really excited when two of their disparate interest groups find a natural place to come together rather than having to come up with complicated stupid reasons for doing so. Israel is a decent one between religious kooks and neo-con military fetishists.

It's exactly this. My dad supports Israel because he's a literal draft-dodging neocon. My brother-in-law supports Israel because he's got poo poo for brains and apparently some loving invisible sky-man told him he has to.

The Republicans have used a single stone to murder two birds.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

moths posted:

One of the two are actively killing Arabs.

The End Times stuff has seemingly gone more underground, when I was a kid it was much more prevalent in religious news media. I don't really see why they would want to prevent the Tribulation, since it all has to happen before Jesus comes back anyway. Unless they think they're delaying the second coming by supporting Isreal, to buy more time before Christ weighs their shriveled hearts.
Supporting Israel is actually a step to hasten the Second Coming. It has something to do with rebuilding the Temple in Jerusalem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End_time

quote:

The main tenets of Jewish eschatology are the following, in no particular order:[6]

• God will redeem Israel from the captivity that began during the Babylonian Exile in a new Exodus
  • God will return the Jewish people to the Land of Israel
  • God will restore the House of David and the Temple in Jerusalem
  • God will create a regent from the House of David, the Jewish Messiah, to lead the Jewish people and the world and usher in an age of justice and peace
  • Nations will recognize that the God of Israel is the only true god
  • God will resurrect the dead
  • God will create a new heaven and earth

It is also believed that history will complete itself, and the ultimate destination will be reached as all mankind returns to the Garden of Eden.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Coming

quote:

Judaism believes that Jesus is one of the false Jewish Messiah claimants because he failed to fulfill any Messianic prophecies, which include:

• Build the Third Temple (Ezekiel 37:26-28).
  • Gather all Jews back to the Land of Israel (Isaiah 43:5-6).
  • Usher in an era of world peace, and end all hatred, oppression, suffering and disease. As it says: "Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall man learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4)
  • Spread universal knowledge of the God of Israel, which will unite humanity as one. As it says: "God will be King over all the world ― on that day, God will be One and His Name will be One" (Zechariah 14:9).

Fundamentalist American Christians (especially Baptists) believe that they can hurry the return of Christ by supporting Israel, unconditionally, and therefore see the Return, the Trump, and their own fleshy ascendance to heaven. Their entire goal is to be alive when Jesus returns, to never lie in the cold ground, and to have a special place in heaven by being an agent of the Second Coming.

anonumos fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 29, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

The Republicans have used a single stone to murder two birds.

I believe you mean lawful killing, sir.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Phone posted:

I believe you mean lawful killing, sir.

These birds are in fact white males, so, unfortunately, not.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So, Sterling lost the Clippers.

Who's yet to record a show, Rush and Hannity? I imagine that'll be a focus.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Tatum Girlparts posted:

They can't force him to sell, but they banned him for life from any and all NBA events and fined him the maximum allowed under their constitution.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

anonumos posted:

Fundamentalist American Christians (especially Baptists) believe that they can hurry the return of Christ by supporting Israel, unconditionally, and therefore see the Return, the Trump, and their own fleshy ascendance to heaven. Their entire goal is to be alive when Jesus returns, to never lie in the cold ground, and to have a special place in heaven by being an agent of the Second Coming.
This is the blasphemous part I was getting at earlier. Even taking way too many of their beliefs at face value, the fact that they think they can force God's hand by their actions is just completely insane.:wtc:

Tatum Girlparts posted:

loving awesome. Oh here we go!

CNN (Yeah, yeah CNN) posted:

The National Basketball Association has banned Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling from basketball for life and fined him $2.5 million racist remarks attributed to him in recordings posted online, NBA Commissioner Adam Silver announced Tuesday.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I was out washing my car and Rush was all going on about the whole thing being planned from the shadows by Magic Johnson and some business partners to acquire the team.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Zeroisanumber posted:

They can't force him to sell

The commissioner said he's going to try though. Which will be fun.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

ReidRansom posted:

I was out washing my car and Rush was all going on about the whole thing being planned from the shadows by Magic Johnson and some business partners to acquire the team.

Rush will never stop being bitter about getting locked out of professional sports.

comes along bort posted:

The commissioner said he's going to try though. Which will be fun.

He can do it if he gets 3/4ths of the NBA's Board of Governors (i.e. other team owners) to agree that the team needs to be sold. Whether or not they'll go along with it depends on the public's reaction and the players' reaction to the punishment. If public response is generally positive and Kobe and LeBron come out and say that they're satisfied with the result, then that'll be the end of it.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

ReidRansom posted:

Well, thats sort of true. Magic has made some comments about wanting to buy the team after he said that stuff, but funnily enough not when he had that whole "smelly blacks" slumlord problem in the 90s. If you want more info from dudes who know a heck of a lot more info about sterling we have a thread in SAS about it, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3629116

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Zeroisanumber posted:

They can't force him to sell

Well, technically yes, but they can vote to terminate his ownership, take control of the team, then have the NBA sell it. It takes 3/4ths of the owners to vote in favor, but given all that's happened, I doubt that vote fails if it's taken.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Zeroisanumber posted:

Rush will never stop being bitter about getting locked out of professional sports.

He can do it if he gets 3/4ths of the NBA's Board of Governors (i.e. other team owners) to agree that the team needs to be sold. Whether or not they'll go along with it depends on the public's reaction and the players' reaction to the punishment. If public response is generally positive and Kobe and LeBron come out and say that they're satisfied with the result, then that'll be the end of it.

Kobe and Lebron have both already come out and said that there is no place for this poo poo and wouldn't play for him. A lot of other players have too, I heard Chauncey Billups saying he wouldn't have come out for the playoff game on Sunday either. That would have been a huge statement and I was sad that the team didn't do that.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ramadu posted:

Kobe and Lebron have both already come out and said that there is no place for this poo poo and wouldn't play for him. A lot of other players have too, I heard Chauncey Billups saying he wouldn't have come out for the playoff game on Sunday either. That would have been a huge statement and I was sad that the team didn't do that.

I'm certain that the league was talking to the players on the Clippers almost immediately to make sure that they didn't boycott and cost the NBA a bunch of money, especially after Golden State said that they wouldn't accept a win by default.

Commissioner Silver did a pretty good job of managing the situation considering that the players were about a half-step away from open revolt on Sunday afternoon.

LeBron James has posted a reaction to Twitter:

LeBron James posted:

Commissioner Silver thank you for protecting our beautiful and powerful league!! Great leader!! ‪#‎BiggerThanBasketball‬ ‪#‎StriveForGreatness‬

Zeroisanumber fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 29, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
So is Rush contending that the audio is fake? Or that the real crime here is that a rich white mans phone call was leaked? I don't see how you can declare something a giant conspiracy against someone when the...ahem...lynchpin of the whole thing is the person themselves being a verifiable racist coot?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

fade5 posted:

This is the blasphemous part I was getting at earlier. Even taking way too many of their beliefs at face value, the fact that they think they can force God's hand by their actions is just completely insane.:wtc:

Depends. There is a long tradition of rules-lawyering in Judaism. It isn't as common in Christianity but there isn't (to my knowledge) a reason why the same principles couldn't be applied.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'm certain that the league was talking to the players on the Clippers almost immediately to make sure that they didn't boycott and cost the NBA a bunch of money, especially after Golden State said that they wouldn't accept a win by default.

Commissioner Silver did a pretty good job of managing the situation considering that the players were about a half-step away from open revolt on Sunday afternoon.

LeBron James has posted a reaction to Twitter:

Something about that LeBron tweet makes me think of KJI/KJU and I'm terribly amused by it

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Intel&Sebastian posted:

So is Rush contending that the audio is fake? Or that the real crime here is that a rich white mans phone call was leaked? I don't see how you can declare something a giant conspiracy against someone when the...ahem...lynchpin of the whole thing is the person themselves being a verifiable racist coot?

He probably is flogging the idea that V. Stiviano knew that Sterling is a racist gently caress and colluded with her friend Magic Johnson to catch him on tape so that they can force the league to force him to sell his franchise to Magic and his investors.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Zeroisanumber posted:

He probably is flogging the idea that V. Stiviano knew that Sterling is a racist gently caress and colluded with her friend Magic Johnson to catch him on tape so that they can force the league to force him to sell his franchise to Magic and his investors.

Good.

Even if that's not the case I hope every racist motherfucker out there believes it. Nowhere is safe assholes, everyone you know and love is part of a giant conspiracy to catch you just being you and sell everything you have to a scary black man. Retreat to the inner circle of luddites and grouse all night about how you can't even tell your trophy girlfriend to quit blacking it up on a private phone conversation anymore.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

This is a detail that needs clearing up for me. If 3/4ths of the Board all vote the same way, they can vote to terminate his ownership. I've seen it mentioned that this is a point of leverage the League can use to force him to sell. So if they vote to terminate his ownership, does that mean he's basically fired and can't sell the team for a profit? Because that seems like what needs to happen.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Buried alive posted:

This is a detail that needs clearing up for me. If 3/4ths of the Board all vote the same way, they can vote to terminate his ownership. I've seen it mentioned that this is a point of leverage the League can use to force him to sell. So if they vote to terminate his ownership, does that mean he's basically fired and can't sell the team for a profit? Because that seems like what needs to happen.

As it's been explained to me, the NBA is made up of a home office and the teams are just franchises of the NBA brand. Essentially, the Board of Governors would be voting to terminate his franchise rights. If he loses his franchise rights, he's forced to sell the team. So regardless of what happens he's still going to be able to sell the franchise at a profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
If they can't force him to sell, and he can just lay in the cut cashing his checks, the new team president should just send him a check for 1 cent every year and give the rest of the prophets to charity.

Edit: ^^^^oic.