Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Fat_Cow posted:

I'm upset there isn't any hammer maces to go with my Paladin.

Well there sort of is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
I beat the ruin sentinels going in blind because twice when I flubbed a dodge roll I got free heals from leaving messages about skeleton butts. Game of the year.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
I can't stop making hosed-up characters, please help.

Obscure Risk
Feb 23, 2009

TASed losers
Cya dopes

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Ugh. I've just reached the big open room in the centre of Iron Keep and that's me done for the night, since they've put what are basically the Anor Londo greatbow snipers in.

They are nowhere near as bad as you're making them out to be. They're a minor annoyance at best compared to the other ones you mentioned.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

About lore, is it ever explained how Ornstein got corrupted by Dark if you stop the spread of the abyss in the first game? Did he just go jump in after Artorias? I can understand how they can reuse him in 2 (him and Smough were illusions like everything else in Anor Londo) but that part doesn't really follow for me. Also how he ended up in Drangleic/Vinheim in the first place but whatever. Actually, the place being Vinheim makes what I've read about the end make not a whole lot of sense either, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 29, 2014

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
So I got into Amana, and I'm actually already past it by now or rather I'm assuming theres nothing more to it at this point, but I gotta say, it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be, but the game sure goes out of its way to try and make it harder.

There are these small sunken pathways that are actually invisible walls since the player character is so selectively acrobatic that he can't lift his foot 3 inches from the ground to step onto it. But then a few meters to the side on a place that is identical he can go to the platform. Visually there is nothing there blocking you, logically there is even less things blocking you. Same with the 2 or 3 steps leading to one of the bonfires. You have to move in precisely from where the game wants you to move in, otherwise you are just running in place. The game is full of parts like this and I can't tell if its because of there is some problem in the engine or if its just super lazy level design.

Another thing is that apparently you need to move in pretty close for the enemies to even appear in the first place. I took out a bow to snipe the casters but I can't see them because they don't seem to exist until I go to their aggro range. Is this a draw distance issue or do the enemies not appear until you are within X distance from them? Can I do something about this myself or is this one of those things you just gotta deal with when playing this game?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
My message in front of the Skeleton in the rubbish pile who got stabbed in the chest now has 60 ratings but imo it should be way higher.

"Weakness: Rear, therefore Hurrah for Skeleton!"

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RBA Starblade posted:

About lore, is it ever explained how Ornstein got corrupted by Dark if you stop the spread of the abyss in the first game? Did he just go jump in after Artorias like Ciaran did? I can understand how they can reuse him in 2 (him and Smough were illusions like everything else in Anor Londo) but that part doesn't really follow for me. Also how he ended up in Drangleic/Vinheim in the first place but whatever. Actually, the place being Vinheim makes what I've read about the end make not a whole lot of sense either, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Its don't think its actually him. Drangleic is a place full of legends, but many of the supposed legends are just imitations. The lore about the Dragonriders talks a ton about how they value prestige and apperance, so it makes sense that a guy would impersonate a legendary knight to look good.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

My message in front of the Skeleton in the rubbish pile who got stabbed in the chest now has 60 ratings but imo it should be way higher.

"Weakness: Rear, therefore Hurrah for Skeleton!"
Don't give up, skeleton!

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Actually, the place being Vinheim makes what I've read about the end make not a whole lot of sense either, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

I don't think Drangleic is Vinheim. There are 50 different fan theories as to what Drangleic is/was.

Another possibility to explain that: Gwynevere left Anor Londo and married Flame God Flann. This is mentioned in the Ring of the Sun Princess in Dark Souls 1. Maybe Ornstein followed her.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Also I have 75 extra rat tails. I wish other PvP covenants actually worked in NG, invading as a dark phantom is generally more fun but I only got to do it about eight times.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Internet Kraken posted:

Its don't think its actually him. Drangleic is a place full of legends, but many of the supposed legends are just imitations. The lore about the Dragonriders talks a ton about how they value prestige and apperance, so it makes sense that a guy would impersonate a legendary knight to look good.

I thought he might be an illusion or otherwise fake in DS2 at first too, but him having a worn down Leo Ring and his boss soul making the same spear with the implication that it's Dragonslayer Ornstein's seems to suggest otherwise to me. An imitation wouldn't be shattering any dragon's scales. Plus, he'd have to be a fake of the same race as Ornstein and Gwyn and the others, and not human.

"The spear of the knight known as the Dragonslayer was imbued with the power of lightning, and shattered the stone scales of dragons. Strong attack unleashes its latent power.

The beloved ring of a dragon-slaying knight. Strengthens thrust weapon counter attacks.
After years of use, the ring's face has worn down, but close inspections reveal an engraved lion."

quote:

I don't think Drangleic is Vinheim. There are 50 different fan theories as to what Drangleic is/was.

The same ring in DS1, that says it's from Vinheim, now says it's from where Drangleic currently stands, which seems to imply it to me.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 29, 2014

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
After poking around the Bastille in NG+ from I found the way to skip the boss there (somehow missed it the first time), but that unfortunately blocks you off from the Belfry so I went back to do the fight anyway. I also tried out the shortcut where you drop in through that door above the chasm, which works but is incredibly harrowing. I put down my sign and helped out to get my humanity back, and while looking around to see if there was a sunbro I could host so they could get their medals I blundered into the fact that by taking the shortcut, all the swordsmen were still alive and I did not want to deal with them in the hallway in front of the boss so I just sprinted for the 'safety' off the fog door. Wound up solo-ing them, which I had missed out on in NG. The lack of bonus health from summons meant that sunlight spears to the face turned the two-on-one portion into a duel real quick.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm of the opinion it is him, because of what the soul is. Were it someone impersonating it, it wouldn't make much sense to get the soul that you do, much less one that is extremely aged, showing he is legitimately very old. I figure the Ornstein in AL is just an illusion created by Gwyndolin, and the soul you get is a fabrication.

If one is a fake it makes more sense to be fake as created by a god than some Dragonrider that got dressed up or w/e.

RBA Starblade posted:

About lore, is it ever explained how Ornstein got corrupted by Dark if you stop the spread of the abyss in the first game? Did he just go jump in after Artorias? I can understand how they can reuse him in 2 (him and Smough were illusions like everything else in Anor Londo) but that part doesn't really follow for me. Also how he ended up in Drangleic/Vinheim in the first place but whatever. Actually, the place being Vinheim makes what I've read about the end make not a whole lot of sense either, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

It's pretty clear the world is currently in an age of dark; the firekeepers not performing their duties, the primal bonfires being out, the fact that Vendrick ultimately chose to do nothing with the Throne of Want. As such it is just a natural corruption as a result of being exposed to dark over a long period of time. This also explains why he's only a bit dark; i.e. his attacks are dark infused but he's not all purpley and rottey like Arty.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 29, 2014

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The torch "puzzle" in the Earthen Peak is the most byzantine thing in this game. I had to have a white phantom lead me to it. Are there any in-game clues that would suggest that the wheel in question is somehow related to the boss' room?

On a side note, I love the "skeleton" message meme. One particular boss had a bunch of "skeleton and then skeleton" orange messages outside its door, and I up-voted them all.

:yohoho:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

I'm of the opinion it is him, because of what the soul is. Were it someone impersonating it, it wouldn't make much sense to get the soul that you do, much less one that is extremely aged, showing he is legitimately very old. I figure the Ornstein in AL is just an illusion created by Gwyndolin, and the soul you get is a fabrication.

It's pretty clear the world is currently in an age of dark; the firekeepers not performing their duties, the primal bonfires being out, the fact that Vendrick ultimately chose to do nothing with the Throne of Want. As such it is just a natural corruption as a result of being exposed to dark over a long period of time. This also explains why he's only a bit dark; i.e. his attacks are dark infused but he's not all purpley and rottey like Arty.

I hadn't thought of that, actually. With the sublime bone dust being hinted at being either the chosen undead's burned bones (or Solaire's, if you believe the devs. :v:) I assumed that it was the age of fire dying out again. That's the other thing that makes no sense to me though; from what I've read the Throne of Want has to do with kindling the first flame, right? Aren't you nowhere near the Kiln? Did the Lordvessel open a teleport or something in DS1? I've only seen snippets of this as I'm not there in the game yet so I wanted to wait to bring it up but I don't mind talking about it either way, but I don't have a clear understanding of where the plot's going there. I just don't care about reading spoilers and thinking about things in advance.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 29, 2014

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Jay Rust posted:

The torch "puzzle" in the Earthen Peak is the most byzantine thing in this game. I had to have a white phantom lead me to it. Are there any in-game clues that would suggest that the wheel in question is somehow related to the boss' room?

On a side note, I love the "skeleton" message meme. One particular boss had a bunch of "skeleton and then skeleton" orange messages outside its door, and I up-voted them all.

Gilligan talks about how the queen was corrupted by poison. I guess that and common knowledge about how windmills are used lead to someone figuring out what to do.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Robot Randy posted:

Gilligan talks about how the queen was corrupted by poison. I guess that and common knowledge about how windmills are used lead to someone figuring out what to do.

Crushing grain? :confused:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Internet Kraken posted:

Do dual caestus have a power stance and if so, how much str/dex do I need to use it?

Bit late on this, but it's 15 str/9 dex. Light left attack is a one/two that is short range, but fast and damaging. Light right attack is the standard right straight, that has longer reach and is also fast on recovery, good for hit/run. Left power attack is goofy as hell, but does a lot of damage, not incredibly practical, but funny.

Seriously though, your main tools are the left and right light attacks. Also the rolling uppercut is not bad.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I hadn't thought of that, actually. With the sublime bone dust I assumed that it was the age of fire. That's the other thing that makes no sense to me though; from what I've read the Throne of Want has to do with kindling the first flame, right? Aren't you nowhere near the Kiln? Did the Lordvessel open a teleport or something in DS1? I've only seen snippets of this so I wanted to wait to bring it up but I don't mind talking about it either way.

Whether the bone dust is from the chosen undead or not (could always be Gwyn!) doesn't matter at all. Because that is just another part of the endlessly repeating cycle. It is possible, and probably is, that dozens or hundreds of repetitions have occurred since Dark Souls; note how many NPCs mention how countless kingdoms have risen and fallen where Drangleic is now. And that almost every proper noun from Dark Souls is forgotten or no one knows what it means (i.e. Havel being thought to be a country). A very long time would need to have passed for that to happen.

As for the Throne of Want: :iiam:. Really, that's probably the least properly explained, and I wouldn't be surprised that if they release an expansion DLC that it covers that. From what I can gather, either Drangleic is Lordran and the Throne of Want is simply the new form of the Kiln, having gone through so many cycles that it has physically changed.

The other, stranger, possibility (that I prefer just cause of how silly it is) is that Drangleic is somewhere to the south of Lordran. The giants country to the north that Vendrick invaded; that's what used to be Lordran, and he stole the Throne of Want which is why the giants are pissed off. The only other thing he could have stolen is the Kinship to access the Throne, and I'm not quite sure why the giants would have it in this case, or why the Throne would be tied to the giants if it was not from their land.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I always just assumed Drangleic is where Lordran was. The game seems to imply it in a lot of ways.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Jay Rust posted:

They can work as pumps too, normally for water :eng101:

Except in this case it's transporting poison goo to the top of Earthen Peak

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Dang the Ancient Dragon is a pain in the rear end since the bonfire is so far away if you gently caress up. Managed to get all the way there and set myself up for him with Gower's ring and whoop, the first time he flew up he came back down right on my head and instakilled me.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Fat_Cow posted:

I'm upset there isn't any hammer maces to go with my Paladin.

That's where you're wrong. You can use the craftsman/Blacksmith hammers.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Jay Rust posted:

Well when you burn it, all the big gears and stuff inside Earthen Peak stop moving permanently which would kind of suggest the whole area is somehow connected to it. It also drains off some of the poison water in Harvest Valley (specifically the pool outside the first bonfire) so I guess if you backtracked for some reason that would be a clue.

I think they're mostly counting on you being curious enough to walk up close enough to that exposed area to get the prompt or people leaving messages. Always read messages.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

Whether the bone dust is from the chosen undead or not (could always be Gwyn!) doesn't matter at all. Because that is just another part of the endlessly repeating cycle. It is possible, and probably is, that dozens or hundreds of repetitions have occurred since Dark Souls; note how many NPCs mention how countless kingdoms have risen and fallen where Drangleic is now. And that almost every proper noun from Dark Souls is forgotten or no one knows what it means (i.e. Havel being thought to be a country). A very long time would need to have passed for that to happen.

As for the Throne of Want: :iiam:. Really, that's probably the least properly explained, and I wouldn't be surprised that if they release an expansion DLC that it covers that. From what I can gather, either Drangleic is Lordran and the Throne of Want is simply the new form of the Kiln, having gone through so many cycles that it has physically changed.

The other, stranger, possibility (that I prefer just cause of how silly it is) is that Drangleic is somewhere to the south of Lordran. The giants country to the north that Vendrick invaded; that's what used to be Lordran, and he stole the Throne of Want which is why the giants are pissed off. The only other thing he could have stolen is the Kinship to access the Throne, and I'm not quite sure why the giants would have it in this case, or why the Throne would be tied to the giants if it was not from their land.

They would have needed a lot of crows to get there then. :v: (Is there anything about the world trees in DS2?)

I've been considering the idea that Vinheim was built over top where Lordran was at some point (you only go to a small part of it after all, look at how huge Anor Londo is), but a different time, but that doesn't seem to follow all that well to me. I'm just not really sure, thinking about it, where the Kiln was supposed to actually physically be.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Robot Randy posted:

Jay Rust posted:

TheNightReaver
Sep 7, 2011

Go fart with the angels.

Broken Cog posted:

I got one dude trying to spam Lightning spears at everything when I was finishing off the Rat covenant in Doors of Pharros earlier today, might that have been you? It's incredible how many cheap kills you can get with Chameleon and Soul Spear.

Doubt it, mine was yesterday. I want to get chameleon...I would have SO much fun with it.

tRIDAV
Jul 10, 2001

Oh, cruel fates, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

Apparently this hat is ridiculously rare? Guess I got lucky because it dropped the first time I killed Roenna

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

They would have needed a lot of crows to get there then. :v: I've been considering the idea that Vinheim was built over top where Lordran was (you only go to a small part of it after all, look at how huge Anor Londo is), but a different time, but that doesn't seem to follow all that well to me. I'm just not really sure, thinking about it, where the Kiln was supposed to actually physically be.

I don't think where the Kiln is physically is at all important. Remember you go through an undisclosed amount of darkness to get to the alter, then through an area void of everything but stairs and BK silhouettes, then the Kiln. Considering it is an extremely powerful artifact it is not unreasonable to assume it can shift shape or cause other weird things.

I don't think Vinheim has anything to do specifically with Lordran. Remember that both Griggs and Logan come from there to Lordran. And I don't think there is really supposed to be much weird time stuff with actual NPCs (it's hard to tell; I think all of that is vague because the devs only added that as something of a lore tie/in-game reason for game mechanics being explained by an NPC, and never put too much thought it to exactly how it works).

NullDragon
Jun 22, 2013
Pretty sure part of the game is in Lordran. Duke's dear frelja has Seath the Scaleless hanging up on his ceiling, plus his soul. Pretty obvious, people aren't gonna be moving that huge corpse, and the tentacle legs are seemingly unique to him.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Jay Rust posted:

Haven't you ever been to Holland?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Jesus Sinner's Rise is loving annoying solo. I first went through it with summons and it was piss easy, but if you go solo the giant demons have a huge AoE swipe that does a fuckton of damage so you can't just backstab -> have your friends annihilate them. Ugh.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there a real downside to Hexes? The soul cost is negligable, and nothing else I've tried comes even close to the damage of Greater Resonant Soul (Maybe Sunlight spear? Haven't tried it). It seems everyone I watch playing PvP is using either hexes or the Santier spear, sometimes a combination of both.

NullDragon posted:

Pretty sure part of the game is in Lordran. Duke's dear frelja has Seath the Scaleless hanging up on his ceiling, plus his soul. Pretty obvious, people aren't gonna be moving that huge corpse, and the tentacle legs are seemingly unique to him.

It's not Seath.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

NullDragon posted:

Yeah that was one of the things I was thinking of specifically. There's a bunch of stuff that just wouldn't make sense to be there if it weren't in the same area.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Red Crown posted:

Jesus Sinner's Rise is loving annoying solo. I first went through it with summons and it was piss easy, but if you go solo the giant demons have a huge AoE swipe that does a fuckton of damage so you can't just backstab -> have your friends annihilate them. Ugh.

Last time I went through there, I found out you can make them go through a loop. Walk up to them and bait out their claw swipe. Roll back, walk up and hit once or twice. They should go for another claw swipe and you can repeat the pattern. If you see them winding up their tails instead, just wait a little longer after rolling back to see if they're swiping the tail more than once. You don't have to attack every time, only when you're sure you can get some damage in.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Red Crown posted:

I just sprint through that area like a wuss. Works out well. The cowards way out is a good plan most of the time, like curse part of shaded forest.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Is there a real downside to Hexes? The soul cost is negligable, and nothing else I've tried comes even close to the damage of Greater Resonant Soul (Maybe Sunlight spear? Haven't tried it). It seems everyone I watch playing PvP is using either hexes or the Santier spear, sometimes a combination of both.

It's not Seath.

Freja drops the "Old Paledrake" soul on NG, plus everything is full of crystals which were Seath's thing.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Broken Cog posted:

It's not Seath.

I think it is. The skull has no eye sockets and the Frelja drops his soul. Even the name implies that it might be one of Seath's experiments from eons ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Freja drops the "Old Paledrake" soul on NG, plus everything is full of crystals which were Seath's thing.

And you use that soul to craft the Moonlight Greatsword, which you recieved by cutting his tail off on the last game.