Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Sentinel Red posted:

Laura & the X-Men > Albert & the X-Men > Warmachinerine & the X-Men > Deathlokerine & the X-Men > All New, All Different Reborn Mullet Wolverine & the X-Men

There you go, sorted.

Perfect. All we need is one character in each series saying that maybe this is the REAL Wolverine reborn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So i'm kinda disturbed to find out that women just can't get enough Doop.

Which is kinda awesome.

And I cannot wait to see some horrible thing to befall the Hellfire kids. I wish I had read WatXM earlier.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

So X book news.

• Wolverine is still dying, a big deal, usual nonsense.

• Based off of that there will be a chunk of books/series/tie-ins with the tag line of "A World Without Wolverine" with Salvadore Larocca, Kyle Higgins, James Tynion IV and a bunch of unannounced people to do things.

• The Greg Pak and Victor Ináñez Storm book will be an ongoing.

• Jason Aaron isn't done with the X books and is just taking a break to do Original Sin so maybe expect Kyle and Yost to only be on Amazing temporarily? Would make sense given his last issue of Amazing was just set up.

• The Deadpool Infinite Comic is unsurprisingly being published as a trade, Dracula's Gauntlet.

• Duane Swierczynski/Pepe Larraz are doing a mini "Deadpool Vs. X-Force" set pre Cable and Deadpool and very 80's.

• They are already just admitting that the Death of Wolverine isn't the end of the character or last we see and ~part of another storyline~

Also more events to look forward to. No creators attached/announced.

source

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Storm is the most boring X-Man ever and it's Pak so I'm sure every issue won't be "I sure am afraid of tight spaces" but that's all I can think right now.

Page one, Storm is in a box.

Page twenty, Storm lightnings her way out of a box only to find she's in a slightly bigger box.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Waterhaul posted:

Jason Aaron isn't done with the X books and is just taking a break to do Original Sin so maybe expect Kyle and Yost to only be on Amazing temporarily? Would make sense given his last issue of Amazing was just set up.

I really thought we were (well I was) finally rid of him too. :sigh:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

Storm is the most boring X-Man ever and it's Pak so I'm sure every issue won't be "I sure am afraid of tight spaces" but that's all I can think right now.

Page one, Storm is in a box.

Page twenty, Storm lightnings her way out of a box only to find she's in a slightly bigger box.

Disagree. When Claremont wasn't fetishizing her, she was a vibrant dynamic female lead. Former deity twice over and Black Panther's sorta ex-wife, plus sometimes team leader of the x-men, there's tons of story hooks to work with.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

coconono posted:

Disagree. When Claremont wasn't fetishizing her, she was a vibrant dynamic female lead. Former deity twice over and Black Panther's sorta ex-wife, plus sometimes team leader of the x-men, there's tons of story hooks to work with.
Can you explain what she actually wants, then? I'm not being faceitious, I just can't imagine a story for Storm because I have no loving idea what she wants that she doesn't already have or could easily get.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

The problem with Storm is that she's just a pile of "Strong" characteristics and not much more than that. She's a virtual goddess, a queen, a former street urchin (but this makes her crafty), she's powerful, a good hand-to-hand fighter, a leader, etc. The problem, of course, is that on the surface that makes for a cool character but in practice it's actually detrimental because there's nothing there for the reader to get hooked into as a driving motivation. Maybe Pak can change that though, who knows?

It's a more extreme version of the problem Carol's had under KSD. I think there's a good character beat under there (that was sort of touched on in both Busiek's run and House of M) of someone who has all the potential, and the desire, in the world to be one of the best heroes but has to constantly struggle with self-doubt that holds her back but she's going to keep plugging away anyway. That's a relatable hook for a lot of people I think. But under KSD she's just been made into someone who's strong and awesome and the best and we're constantly told this, please view her as inspirational. The best description I've seen of current Carol is that she's not a character, she's a hashtag.

Storm doesn't even really have that though. She's never really had the same struggles as a character that Carol's had. She's strong and beautiful and competent and everyone wants her with no seeming character flaw to counter it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Suben posted:

The problem with Storm is that she's just a pile of "Strong" characteristics and not much more than that. She's a virtual goddess, a queen, a former street urchin (but this makes her crafty), she's powerful, a good hand-to-hand fighter, a leader, etc. The problem, of course, is that on the surface that makes for a cool character but in practice it's actually detrimental because there's nothing there for the reader to get hooked into as a driving motivation. Maybe Pak can change that though, who knows?

It's a more extreme version of the problem Carol's had under KSD. I think there's a good character beat under there (that was sort of touched on in both Busiek's run and House of M) of someone who has all the potential, and the desire, in the world to be one of the best heroes but has to constantly struggle with self-doubt that holds her back but she's going to keep plugging away anyway. That's a relatable hook for a lot of people I think. But under KSD she's just been made into someone who's strong and awesome and the best and we're constantly told this, please view her as inspirational. The best description I've seen of current Carol is that she's not a character, she's a hashtag.

Storm doesn't even really have that though. She's never really had the same struggles as a character that Carol's had. She's strong and beautiful and competent and everyone wants her with no seeming character flaw to counter it.

I've said this before, but Storm should ideally be treated as a female Thor. He doesn't really have any obvious flaws either, at least in the more modern comics, but a lot of his character is influenced by his supporting cast. I think the problem with Storm is that no one really relates to her at all; she's just this weird, otherworldly goddess that everyone looks up to because she's austere and powerful, but her actual relationships are very rarely explored.

MagnesiumB
Apr 13, 2013
Yeah, my reading's not nearly been as comprehensive as most people here I think and I've only been really reading for the last few years but I struggle thinking of very many times in recent history where I've found Storm to be particularly compelling or the strong focus in a story. That said there's a ton of reasons I think to be interested in her and I'd love to read a great Storm title, so here's hoping Pak and Ináñez put together something fantastic.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Hakkesshu posted:

I've said this before, but Storm should ideally be treated as a female Thor. He doesn't really have any obvious flaws either, at least in the more modern comics, but a lot of his character is influenced by his supporting cast.
The problem there is that Thor has stories that managed to resonate with audiences for literally thousands of years to draw upon; he's got a huge, proven supporting cast right off the bat. Anything you do for Storm has to be invented out of whole cloth and is going to have a pretty high failure rate, because all new ideas do.

I suppose you could lean into the goddess angle and bring in African mythology, but now you're way the hell away from what ought to be an X-book. (Although I'd love to see a modern Anansi constantly feuding with/teaming up with/annoying Loki.)

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Hakkesshu posted:

I've said this before, but Storm should ideally be treated as a female Thor. He doesn't really have any obvious flaws either, at least in the more modern comics, but a lot of his character is influenced by his supporting cast. I think the problem with Storm is that no one really relates to her at all; she's just this weird, otherworldly goddess that everyone looks up to because she's austere and powerful, but her actual relationships are very rarely explored.

Thor has a host of flaws - stubborn, not very bright, too trusting, the subtlety of a brick wall, getting riled up easily, getting drunk too often.
KSD tried to add flaws to Captain Marvel that aren't alcoholism, but they were all artificial - not able to fly/use powers too much and then amnesia (always a bad idea). That doesn't make an interesting downside to a good character, although she is better in Avengers Assemble and Hickman's Avenger books.
Storm doesn't even have that though. At most she's unable to accept others challenging her authority, and even that is pretty inconsistent.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

CapnAndy posted:

Can you explain what she actually wants, then? I'm not being faceitious, I just can't imagine a story for Storm because I have no loving idea what she wants that she doesn't already have or could easily get.

I think she's been routinely mismanaged since the early '90s, but you can make an argument like that for most of the X-Men who aren't Wolverine, Cyclops, or Rogue. A lot of her conflict got boiled away in favor of her being a sensible counterpart to Scott, and while some interesting work got done with the marriage to T'Challa, it also did some damage by making Storm somebody else's supporting character.

If you go back to the seminal stories for her, like "Lifedeath" in Claremont's Uncanny X-Men, the problem she traditionally had was integrating the various lives she's led into a cohesive whole. She grew up a street urchin, she became a "goddess" and internalized that more than she'd care to admit, and then she grew up to become an often-distrusted professional superhero. Claremont did a fair job of finishing that arc before he left the books, however, and no one's sat down and puzzled out a new one for her in the last twenty years.

I did like the take that Priest put on her in Black Panther, well before the marriage arc, where he pointed out that Storm scares the poo poo out of pretty much every governmental agency on the planet because she's a completely independent, one-woman weapon of mass destruction with strong opinions on the environment and no real respect for national borders.

The first step, I'd imagine, would be to pick up where Hudlin left off and give Storm her own supporting cast that's independent of the Jean Grey School. She met her American father's parents and her young cousin back then, as I recall, although her aunt had died. You could do a lot with her going back to Africa and researching her mother's family line, which is a plot that Claremont put into place but, as was his wont, never got around to writing. There's also a fair bit to be written about her position in the world in general, since even after the divorce from T'Challa, Storm's still a genuine media figure with a ton of connections that other X-Men generally do not have.

I think Pak's got enough to run with, but the first hurdle's going to be a certain amount of necessary reconstruction.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Pair Storm up with Doom. He's had a creepy obsession with her before. It would be interesting to see her try to match wits with him (and fail).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

(Although I'd love to see a modern Anansi constantly feuding with/teaming up with/annoying Loki.)

I had never thought of anything like this and now I can't think of anything I've ever wanted more than Trickster God Team-Up.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Decius posted:

Thor has a host of flaws - stubborn, not very bright, too trusting, the subtlety of a brick wall, getting riled up easily, getting drunk too often.
KSD tried to add flaws to Captain Marvel that aren't alcoholism, but they were all artificial - not able to fly/use powers too much and then amnesia (always a bad idea). That doesn't make an interesting downside to a good character, although she is better in Avengers Assemble and Hickman's Avenger books.
Storm doesn't even have that though. At most she's unable to accept others challenging her authority, and even that is pretty inconsistent.

I don't even think the amnesia is a bad idea in and of itself. It just should've been done at the beginning of the series (maybe even between issues or something, whatever). That way you allow Carol to act as something of a POV character for the new readers you're trying to attract and you can now explore Carol, her history, and what the legacy of the name Captain Marvel means and have Carol grow from that while introducing these concepts to the new readers.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So I finished the first run of Wolverine and the Xmen, and drat, what a great book. Glad I picked up the current run.

Learned that Eyeboy is not as lame as he appears, Doop is every woman's dream and the Xmen and Circuses don't mix.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010
Uh excuse me but w/r/t Storm's flaws, don't forget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNLFqdxWNgc

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Isn't there one bit in early X-Men (it was when Cockrum was still pencilling; I believe it was the first appearance of Black Tom) where the villain's like, "This castle will be the X-Men's tomb!" and the mention of the word "tomb" causes Storm to have a full-on panic attack? I'm pretty sure I can remember reading that.

Is Storm's claustrophobia still a major part of her character?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Metal Loaf posted:

Every so often, if the book is set somewhere underground, somebody will ask Storm how she's holding up, and she'll say "Well, I'm coping."

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Metal Loaf posted:

Isn't there one bit in early X-Men (it was when Cockrum was still pencilling; I believe it was the first appearance of Black Tom) where the villain's like, "This castle will be the X-Men's tomb!" and the mention of the word "tomb" causes Storm to have a full-on panic attack? I'm pretty sure I can remember reading that.

They dropped the castle on her and Colossus made the save, leaving them trapped for a bit.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Well, if anyone was looking for an explanation of what's going on with Fantomex, X-Force's got it this month.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

CapnAndy posted:

I suppose you could lean into the goddess angle and bring in African mythology, but now you're way the hell away from what ought to be an X-book.

We could use more non-X-books.

I was wanting something similar out of the Storm / Black Panther marriage. I don't understand why she'd want to be on the X-Men at all. She's at her happiest when she's outside communing with nature, not trying to relate to teenagers or punching bad guys. She retires from the X-Men, goes back to Africa (not racist), becomes an actual African Queen and then things kick off from there.

CapnAndy posted:

(Although I'd love to see a modern Anansi constantly feuding with/teaming up with/annoying Loki.)

If they were to do that story now they could hint that the Arab Spring is a result of Anansi and/or member of the African mythology being bored and just loving with the mortal world. The underlying story of Wakanda is that it has never been overthrown in its history. More accurately it's never been overthrown by men. Egypt, Libya, Algeria... that was just the beginning.

gently caress, now I'm imagining a Game of Thrones with Black Panther as king holding off the White Gorillas, Moses Magnum and Zanda while Ororo Targaryen is the Mother of Storms leading her freed Genoshans into Wakanda. :psyduck:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I really liked all new, and then I didn't. It feels like Bendis doesn't want me to enjoy it, also that Bendis wants me to hate Kitty.

X-Force is getting better and better just as Legacy did, though some of it was a little bit too on the nose or feels a bit off. I'm going to agree with the idea that Spurrier isn't handling Fantomex very well, but then add on that I don't think anyone has in a while and the hole is getting pretty big here, so maybe it isn't his fault.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
X-Force has me thinking were actually dealing with the Evil Brain Fantomex clone.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
New X-Force did a great homage to my avatar.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

SirDan3k posted:

X-Force has me thinking were actually dealing with the Evil Brain Fantomex clone.

I dunno, the guy was built as a market-friendly super-sentinel. This might just be his old programming taking over now that it's got one less brain to contend with. Say what you will about the Evil Fantomex, that guy did whatever the gently caress he wanted.

Either way, add me to the pile of people thinking X-Force is getting really great.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Spiderdrake posted:

I really liked all new, and then I didn't. It feels like Bendis doesn't want me to enjoy it, also that Bendis wants me to hate Kitty.
I haven't always liked the Bendis Kitty but it seems like she was just doing her mama bear thing this week in a perfectly reasonable way, can't wait until the future brotherhood figures out the major timing snafu in their plan to send the Young X-men back to their original time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Young Jean implying that she would be totally into old Scott was creepy as gently caress.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
It was walking pretty close to the line but the point of the scene seemed to be to underline that it would never, ever happen.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Rhyno posted:

Young Jean implying that she would be totally into old Scott was creepy as gently caress.

It really was. Though Old Scott's "No no no NO no nonono gently caress no" was reassuring, at least.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rhyno posted:

She totally would and there's nothing unusual about that.

What is unusual, to me, is a writer feeling the need to write greater than zero words on that topic, especially since it sours every other interaction those two are going to have. He took a heartwarming scene, defecated on it and then had Kitty show up to wag her finger at us. Like I said, it's like he doesn't want us to enjoy the book.

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 1, 2014

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Spiderdrake posted:

She totally would and there's nothing unusual about that.

What is unusual, to me, is a writer feeling the need to write greater than zero words on that topic, especially since it sours every other interaction those two are going to have. He took a heartwarming scene, defecated on it and then had Kitty show up to wag her finger at us. Like I said, it's like he doesn't want us to enjoy the book.

A teenage girl having a crush on a grown man is indeed pretty much normal, and I don't see anything creepy by it, as long as Scott doesn't do anything besides what he did in the book. I liked the scene with Scott shooting it down immediately as it closes that tedious chapter (Scott & Jean) once and for all I hope, so I don't have any problem with that. I didn't like Kitty feeling the need to issue any threats though. Seems unnecessary and actually diminishes the scene before.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
I enjoyed X Force this month, and it was good to finally get a handle on Fantinex's weirdness of late. Can anyone tell me what happened to the other Fantinex's clones though? The last x-force was such a mess I gave up caring/paying attention. Also, where is the EVA spaceship?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Decius posted:

I didn't like Kitty feeling the need to issue any threats though. Seems unnecessary and actually diminishes the scene before.
Yeah, that was really stupid. "So, I just witnessed you unequivocally telling that girl to not open that can of worms ever ever ever, in basically the most professional manner possible, and you're the poster-boy for "emotionally in-control", but you stay the hell away from her!"

Oh, and Laura would have instantly smelled that that wasn't Scott and would never have let him get that close to her. She's way more guarded than that. C'mon, Brian.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I thought Bendis handled the whole young Jean/old Scott thing perfectly; he was underlining "this is creepy and don't you ever do it" pretty hard.

What's interesting to me is that Scott just had Jean Grey tell him he grew up into exactly the sort of man she'd always hoped he'd be. He has needed that validation for, basically, forever -- I want to see if that changes him at all. It ought to.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Of course Young Jean wasn't actually there to witness stuff like Scott forming a secret group of killers or trying to control the Phoenix Force, which ended up kind of backfiring.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Decius posted:

A teenage girl having a crush on a grown man is indeed pretty much normal, and I don't see anything creepy by it, as long as Scott doesn't do anything besides what he did in the book. I liked the scene with Scott shooting it down immediately as it closes that tedious chapter (Scott & Jean) once and for all I hope, so I don't have any problem with that. I didn't like Kitty feeling the need to issue any threats though. Seems unnecessary and actually diminishes the scene before.

Do you mean between old Scott and young jean?

Because if you mean overall (or even Bendis's run) I have some very bad news for you.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Of course Young Jean wasn't actually there to witness stuff like Scott forming a secret group of killers or trying to control the Phoenix Force, which ended up kind of backfiring.
If she hasn't heard about it as this point then what the gently caress is she doing all day?

Besides the second isn't really that big a deal especially considering the circumstances.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Everything about Young Jean is creepy as gently caress.

Also, it's hard to think of a more unlikable character in cape comics (or X-Men comics at least) than Kitty... which would be fine if we were actually supposed to not like her instead of thinking she's awesome.

Suben fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
There ain't nothing creepy about a younger version of a dead girl coming back that everyone (everyone) wants to gently caress.

• Locked thread