Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
How were you "supposed" to find those areas? Like just randomly click around the map? Or was that one you were supposed to find from "Bikanel and Kilika join as one"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

fronz posted:

How were you "supposed" to find those areas? Like just randomly click around the map? Or was that one you were supposed to find from "Bikanel and Kilika join as one"?

I think there are messages hidden around in Al Bhed with the "passwords" for the areas. So I think the idea was you're supposed to find a bunch of Al Bhed primers and then read the clues. For example, I think one is on the same screen where you fight Khimari at the beginning of the game.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Bregor posted:

I pretty much finish every battle with Auron. "Farewell." *WHACK* Definitely satisfying.

ApplesandOranges posted:

The best one is when you start the party with Yuna/Lulu/Wakka and Yuna does an impression of 'Lots of fiends around here, ya?' and Lulu goes, 'Stop that.'

It seems to be pretty rare and stops appearing after a certain point, which is sad because it is gold.

Is there ANYWHERE where I can just listen to all the battle dialog between characters? cause there are so many I haven't heard

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Schwartzcough posted:

I think there are messages hidden around in Al Bhed with the "passwords" for the areas. So I think the idea was you're supposed to find a bunch of Al Bhed primers and then read the clues. For example, I think one is on the same screen where you fight Khimari at the beginning of the game.

Yeah that's the implication; there's only like 4 clues in total (some are split so there's more places but whatever) but they're for the three passwords and Kimahri's crest. That's kind of a weird one because it's at Baaj in a dumb half-riddle but whatever.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Is there ANYWHERE where I can just listen to all the battle dialog between characters? cause there are so many I haven't heard

Rikku: Woaaahhh... Say, is that edible?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Schwartzcough posted:

Nah, I know about those. I'm thinking, like, the treasure chests in Besaid you get to by going to some random nearby coordinates.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

fronz posted:

Nah, I know about those. I'm thinking, like, the treasure chests in Besaid you get to by going to some random nearby coordinates.

I'm pretty sure yeah youre just supposed to find it randomly. Japanese gamers are just more tolerant of that bullshit I think and back in the day it was more "OK" to have these obscure secrets you werent meant to find so your friend could totally own you at lunch with his random video game knowledge.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

fronz posted:

I dunno how you're supposed to find all of them without a guide but based on a pretty good FAQ I'm using:

Passwords:
GODHAND
MURASAME
VICTORIOUS

Coordinates:
x:12-14 y:58-61 (Baaj Temple)
x:40-42 y:57-59 (Battle Site)
x:30-32 y:73-76 (Besaid Falls)
x:34-36 y:56-58 (Mi'ihen Ruins)
x:71-73 y:35-36 (Omega Ruins)
x:13-15 y:42-44 (Sanubia Sands)

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Polsy posted:

Wasn't there a thing where all those quotes stop happening after a certain point in the game? Did they fix that? (assuming it was unintentional, I forget)

Once you go inside sin they stop talking for all battles in all locations.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Deathstrike Rikku is great too. She goes up to someone, does a little spin and says WHOOPS and they burst into a bunch of pyreflies.

Lulu doesn't say anything but having a tiny doll waddle up to a iron giant and then deathstrike will never not be funny

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah lol that Omega Ruins is just middle of nowhere with no tips to find it.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Final Fantasy X is the first game I remember playing where having a guide wasn't just helpful, but was downright necessary to find a bunch of things. Has that always been the case with JRPGs or is that a relatively recent (er-- like I said, relatively) trend?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Evil Sagan posted:

Final Fantasy X is the first game I remember playing where having a guide wasn't just helpful, but was downright necessary to find a bunch of things. Has that always been the case with JRPGs or is that a relatively recent (er-- like I said, relatively) trend?

I recall VII having some pretty obscure stuff compared to previous FF games, like where you got the Breath Water materia (I think that's what it was called?) which wasn't necessary but helpful. All the chocobo stuff and level 4 limits were also pretty far outside of stuff an average gamer would find without a guide.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

There have been JRPGs with obscure secrets for probing every corner of the world for a long time. See: Every SaGa game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tales of the Abyss is the tour-de-force of 'obscure bullshit that's only available for a limited time.' They even locked extremely important backstory behind sidequests like that, which just baffles me.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, the vast majority of sidequests in Tales of the Abyss are only available during specific windows you'd have no idea about playing the game normally.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
How much would I have to pay someone to do the cunting chocobo racing minigame in FFX for me? Bonus if you do the 200 lightning dodges.

E: Okay nm, just the lightning dodges.

Waldorf Sixpence fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 29, 2014

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Evil Sagan posted:

Final Fantasy IX is the absolute worst with this. Even with a guide it's hard to 100% the game because everything is locked under these limited time windows.
...and lets not get started if you were trying to use the PlayOnline guide.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

RagnarokAngel posted:

Final Fantasy IX is the absolute worst with this. Even with a guide it's hard to 100% the game because everything is locked under these limited time windows.

Excalibur II

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's totally possible to 100% FFIX even with Excalibur II.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Barely. It involves not only skipping FMVs by reloading the disc, but also savescumming everywhere to avoid random encounters.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

fronz posted:

I knew that there were some additional areas on the map but I did not know where they were, but I was actually able to find almost all of them in about a minute by just winging the stick around wildly and spamming x. It seems real stupid that they even have that step to lock em out, but this game is chock full of weird poo poo anyway so "why not".

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

That was such a lovely guide I barely ever used it, yet it's the only guide I still own. I suppose because I didn't use it much. :v:

Edit: I payed like 20 dollars for a book that just told me to look poo poo up on the internet.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

MrAristocrates posted:

Yeah, the vast majority of sidequests in Tales of the Abyss are only available during specific windows you'd have no idea about playing the game normally.

Symphonia does the same thing. If I remember right, a couple sidequests open up when you finally open the door to the final boss. The game makes no mention of this.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Skeezy posted:

Symphonia does the same thing. If I remember right, a couple sidequests open up when you finally open the door to the final boss. The game makes no mention of this.

In Symphonia, a few new ones and all of the old ones that you might've missed when they're available reappear, yeah. You have to walk up to the door and then turn around for no reason. It's weird.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

That was such a lovely guide I barely ever used it, yet it's the only guide I still own. I suppose because I didn't use it much. :v:

Edit: I payed like 20 dollars for a book that just told me to look poo poo up on the internet.

My dad bought that book and he found it hilarious. Even more so when the preface for the FFX guide said "Welcome to the fully comprehensive Final Fantasy X strategy guide."

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Volt Catfish posted:

Excalibur II

Eh. You can't not do 9999 damage by that point in the game with Steiner. You might as well have won it from Ozma.

Pneub fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 29, 2014

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

MrAristocrates posted:

In Symphonia, a few new ones and all of the old ones that you might've missed when they're available reappear, yeah. You have to walk up to the door and then turn around for no reason. It's weird.

The idea is that you beat the Final Boss, save, and then do the postgame sidequests.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh, right. I forgot you could save after fighting the final boss in that game.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Except, unlike later Tales games, loading the clear data save starts a new game.

So yes, they really expect you to see the final scene before the final boss teleporter, turn around, and walk back out.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Except, unlike later Tales games, loading the clear data save starts a new game.

So yes, they really expect you to see the final scene before the final boss teleporter, turn around, and walk back out.

Eh, Star Ocean 2 basically did the same thing. Was cool to discover, I thought then.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Pneub posted:

Eh. You can't not do 9999 damage by that point in the game with Steiner. You might as well have won it from Ozma.

It's more a trophy to prove you speedran the game.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Is there any way to avoid earth eaters flare counters? The fight isnt hard but the drat spell animation makes it take forever

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
Nope! Wait till you can kill him in three Attack Reels before grinding him.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

How much would I have to pay someone to do the cunting chocobo racing minigame in FFX for me? Bonus if you do the 200 lightning dodges.

E: Okay nm, just the lightning dodges.

Let me know if you find out. Sheesh. I just can't even motivate myself to attempt trying to get a quicker run on the race. I would really like to have Tidus and Lulu's celestials regardless of how 'necessary' they may or may not be.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

fronz posted:

I found it without a guide this time around :cool: The list I saw online had the wrong coordinates so I just looked around and got it.

I'm at the point in the game now where I need to go get Anima to beat stuff I can't beat otherwise yet and I'm doing all these destruction sphere puzzles I missed. God the puzzles in FFX suck. If that didn't make things worse I need to get the Sigil for Wakka since I have all his overdrives but it didn't pop up... so I either have to reset data and lose all the Blitz stuff I did, or play another league and hope that I only have to play 10 MORE games after it

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

If that didn't make things worse I need to get the Sigil for Wakka since I have all his overdrives but it didn't pop up... so I either have to reset data and lose all the Blitz stuff I did, or play another league and hope that I only have to play 10 MORE games after it

Unless you're really attached to your current team, do this.

I did this in my current playthrough, as in I played a few BB league/tourney games at each savesphere in the main plot and picked up the Overdrives in the process, then when I got access to the airship I reset data until the sigil showed up as a prize and then flew around Spira to form a Level 1 Super Blitz team. 10 (technically 8) games later I had the sigil and said goodbye to BB for good. The only trouble I had was that I had to play the Psyches in my second game. Ouch.

Syrant posted:

Let me know if you find out. Sheesh. I just can't even motivate myself to attempt trying to get a quicker run on the race. I would really like to have Tidus and Lulu's celestials regardless of how 'necessary' they may or may not be.

I got to 137 lightning dodges before getting hit. That was a few weeks ago and I haven't tried again since. gently caress you, Lulu.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Why do they do dumb poo poo like this? It makes no sense to me.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Unless you're really attached to your current team, do this.

I did this in my current playthrough, as in I played a few BB league/tourney games at each savesphere in the main plot and picked up the Overdrives in the process, then when I got access to the airship I reset data until the sigil showed up as a prize and then flew around Spira to form a Level 1 Super Blitz team. 10 (technically 8) games later I had the sigil and said goodbye to BB for good. The only trouble I had was that I had to play the Psyches in my second game. Ouch.

I have 2 members of the Psyches on my current team :( Oh well.

What does level 1 super team look like endgame? Wakka's not too great at level 1 is he? Ugh I don't even want to think what a match without Jecht Shot is like.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
Tatts and 5 other dudes because who gives a gently caress when you have Invisible Shot

e: Miyu on goalie is pretty decent too

Xenogenesis fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Apr 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Xenogenesis posted:

Tatts and 5 other dudes because who gives a gently caress when you have Invisible Shot

Huh I managed to never hire this guy.