Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

XTimmy posted:

This is solid but maybe up the saturation on the cloth or pick something a little less rough next time. Cool idea it just seems a little bit off to wrap a baby in cheesecloth to me.

CROSS POSTIN' FROM PAD!
Three from a more unconventional headshot shoot I did yesterday. Guy is selling himself as an actor for aggressive characters, and wanted something to fit that.

RossieFull-8171 by TimFPictures, on Flickr

RossieFull-8137 by TimFPictures, on Flickr

Bit annoyed at the background in that. May rework it.

RossieFull-8197 by TimFPictures, on Flickr

http://whenileftmybed.tumblr.com/post/84104098907/talent-ross-bussie-ross-met-me-at-a-party-where
I'd appreciate an rear end tearing since I haven't done this in a while.

Unconventional is great and all, but the purpose of a headshot is to show the head. The 8x10s of this will end up in a pile with other ones, with casting directors sorting through them as quickly as possible. The reason simple lighting is preferred is because it allows those looking to see what someone looks like BEFORE they're lit; to allow them to imagine what they will look like with their makeup and setting. Hinting and suggesting and themeing lighting is fine, but you're being so directional here that it's kinda hard to tell what the guy actually looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I tried to do some newborn stuff for my nephew but he was being a little squirmy bitch and it was probably the most frustrating experience. Last time I ever offer to do that.

Kids in general are super frustrating; a pair of my friends ask me to shoot their one year old fairly regularly. I don't mind since they're awesome friends and it's good practice. I find since it's not a job, I can go in expecting to play with the kid and maybe get a couple of okay pictures, and anything else is bonus; that way I don't end up annoyed (because what logic is there in getting annoyed at kids? they're kids; kids are awesome).

Anyway we went out this weekend and while I have a few more shots that are better technically, I ended up rather fond of this one just because it shows off his personality.

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
am i doing this right:

ill connect by PC-P, on Flickr

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I really hope that's a wide lens

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
Got a 10 millimeter tucked up in my belt lookin to pop off on some chumps

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

thetzar posted:

Unconventional is great and all, but the purpose of a headshot is to show the head. The 8x10s of this will end up in a pile with other ones, with casting directors sorting through them as quickly as possible. The reason simple lighting is preferred is because it allows those looking to see what someone looks like BEFORE they're lit; to allow them to imagine what they will look like with their makeup and setting. Hinting and suggesting and themeing lighting is fine, but yo're being so directional here that it's kinda hard to tell what the guy actually looks like.

Oh I know, he got a fair few of just head and shoulders, I picked the ones I thought were photographiclly interesting to post.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Tony Two Bapes posted:

am i doing this right:

If you're doing comedy ultrawide portraits you are required by law to be using a ringlight.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

SoundMonkey posted:

If you're doing comedy ultrawide portraits you are required by law to be using a ringlight.

:golfclap:

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Gabriella
by SPV Photo, on Flickr

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 29, 2014

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
That rocks

I tried and tried to take a good self portrait for a FB profile pic, but, turns out, I'm ugly and I dress funny. Will eventually get over it and stop imitating Bertillon.

Tricerapowerbottom fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 6, 2014

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

XTimmy posted:

CROSS POSTIN' FROM PAD!
Three from a more unconventional headshot shoot I did yesterday. Guy is selling himself as an actor for aggressive characters, and wanted something to fit that.

I really like the last two. What little can be seen of the background does not disturb me, actually gives some context.
I don't like the first pic because the person seems lost in a sea of junk, does not give the "bad guy in control" vibe.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Tony Two Bapes posted:

am i doing this right:

Yes that rules.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

That rocks

I tried and tried to take a good self portrait for a FB profile pic, but, turns out, I'm ugly and I dress funny. Will eventually get over it and stop imitating Bertillon.

is this in profile because pun?

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
Actually it was the only angle I was happy with, in all the other ones I looked like somewhere between :q: and :whitewater:

I'll adopt your idea though, yeah. Totally meant to do that.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
So I'm going to be messing around taking some shots in a photo studio for the first time this weekend. They supply two strobes and two continuous lights.

I've never worked with more than one strobe before. Do people generally mix the continuous & strobes in one shoot? You'd need a pretty slow shutter speed for that, right?

Just curious. I'll probably just stick to using the two strobes, but figured I'd ask what possibilities are out there.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

triplexpac posted:

I've never worked with more than one strobe before. Do people generally mix the continuous & strobes in one shoot? You'd need a pretty slow shutter speed for that, right?

It sucks and you should probably try not to do it.

I mean you totally can but you may find yourself unable to avoid suicide.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

So I'm going to be messing around taking some shots in a photo studio for the first time this weekend. They supply two strobes and two continuous lights.

Just curious. I'll probably just stick to using the two strobes, but figured I'd ask what possibilities are out there.

White balancing that would be murder. The closest I've ever gotten is using the sun and a fill flash. Even that sucks.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mix stuff occasionally when I don't have enough strobes on hand, but it's much easier to just stick with one or the other. And even wimpy-ish strobes tend to be orders of magnitude brighter than continuous lights anywhere remotely near the same class.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

rcman50166 posted:

White balancing that would be murder. The closest I've ever gotten is using the sun and a fill flash. Even that sucks.

It wouldn't be that bad, depending on the continuous light source. If they're tungsten you could just slap a CTB on it to balance it out. The difference in brightness would be the worse issue.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Or put CTO on the strobes since they've got far more power to spare.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

SoundMonkey posted:

It sucks and you should probably try not to do it.

I mean you totally can but you may find yourself unable to avoid suicide.

Haha okay fair enough! I will stick to using one or the other, especially since I'm a beginner.

I'd hate to have to commit suicide so early in my career :ohdear:

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

triplexpac posted:

It's possible depending on the strobes and continuous lights. White balance shouldn't be much of an issue because they're probably both daylight balanced. The big issue will probably be the power setting on the strobes. It's possible that the lowest power setting will require an aperture that is far to small to get an exposure from the continuous lights. Unless, as you hinted at, you go for some ridiculously low shutter speed....like 1 second!

Bottom line, it is possible, but don't worry about it right now.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Gabriella
by SPV Photo, on Flickr

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Claire and Cece
by SPV Photo, on Flickr

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

I like the colours, but I find the overexposed sidewalk a bit jarring compared to the background. Maybe it's just me though.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

JJC&B by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

I really like doing panoramas and I need to work on shooting more of them.

Ark
Aug 20, 2000

Beautiful model, beautiful light, beautiful composure, but I can't get over that the right side of her face/head looks warped.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

voodoorootbeer posted:

JJC&B by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

I really like doing panoramas and I need to work on shooting more of them.

This is interesting, what focal length did you use? Also, what is the benefit of this over just shooting normally, other than the drastically bigger picture?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Geektox posted:

This is interesting, what focal length did you use? Also, what is the benefit of this over just shooting normally, other than the drastically bigger picture?

You're imitating the use of a larger sensor to get depth of field separation similar to medium or large format.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Ark posted:

Beautiful model, beautiful light, beautiful composure, but I can't get over that the right side of her face/head looks warped.

kind of looks like some lens distortion

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Geektox posted:

Shot it with a 50mm f1.8 stopped down to f2. Combining 9 shots yields me a final product that would have effectively been shot at 30mm f1.2 (according to the calculator.

...and I just noticed the stitching error on the pear tree. Not thrilled with the ancient version of Photoshop Elements that I'm using for stitching and Hugin is a giant pain the the dick, but I guess that's the price you pay for not buying new software.

Ark
Aug 20, 2000

voodoorootbeer posted:

Shot it with a 50mm f1.8 stopped down to f2. Combining 9 shots yields me a final product that would have effectively been shot at 30mm f1.2 (according to the calculator.

...and I just noticed the stitching error on the pear tree. Not thrilled with the ancient version of Photoshop Elements that I'm using for stitching and Hugin is a giant pain the the dick, but I guess that's the price you pay for not buying new software.

Were you using the Brenizer Method for this?

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Ark posted:

Were you using the Brenizer Method for this?

As far as I know? It's a 9 shot matrix as such:
code:
OOO
OOO
OOO
I figured f2 counts as almost wide open, hopefully enough to buy me a little sharpness while keeping DOF small.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

voodoorootbeer posted:

As far as I know? It's a 9 shot matrix as such:
code:
OOO
OOO
OOO
I figured f2 counts as almost wide open, hopefully enough to buy me a little sharpness while keeping DOF small.

I'd love to hear some of your experience working like this. I've never really been able to nail panorama stitching, but I love this effect. What did you use, have any trouble?

Two casual shots, and one for a friend's profile photo for her small, new kitchen-based business.

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

thetzar posted:

I'd love to hear some of your experience working like this. I've never really been able to nail panorama stitching, but I love this effect. What did you use, have any trouble?

voodoorootbeer posted:

ancient version of Photoshop Elements
5.0 to be exact, and

voodoorootbeer posted:

stitching error on the pear tree

Whenever I have issues, it tends to be with tree branches. I try to keep the subject in a single frame to avoid errors in clothing or phantom limbs. I've had enough practice that I at least have more hits than misses now and I've pretty much committed to being happy with my composition before I buy new software for stitching.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
The best way to simulate the look of medium/large format is to shoot medium/large format :v:

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

MrBlandAverage posted:

The best way to simulate the look of medium/large format is to shoot medium/large format :v:

For better or worse, the Brenizer method has its own look, but yeah there are tools better suited for the job. Considering the relative low cost of entry to shooting 6x6 with something like a Yashica TLR, it's something everyone should at least try.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Medium format is a great way to spend every cent you own on lenses and development :getin:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Medium format Large format color is a great way to spend every cent you own on lenses and development :getin:

:sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Macy
by SPV Photo, on Flickr